Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Steelers Screw Up Another One! - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: Rival Talk (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Rival-Talk)
+--- Thread: Steelers Screw Up Another One! (/Thread-Steelers-Screw-Up-Another-One)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Steelers Screw Up Another One! - BFritz21 - 03-08-2019

The people on Good Morning Football this morning were pointing out how the Steelers botched another situation and screwed themselves, just like they did with Le'Veon Bell!

They were saying that, instead of letting it go public, they should have just make a few calls to teams and say "Antonio's available to be traded," and they could have gotten a first round pick (Jones-Drew said maybe even TWO), but now they'll be lucky to get a second-round pick and maybe even just have to cut him and let him hit free agency!

The entire Steelers organization is one big shit-show!

RE: Steelers Screw Up Another One! - Catmandude123 - 03-08-2019

(03-08-2019, 01:11 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: The people on Good Morning Football this morning were pointing out how the Steelers botched another situation and screwed themselves, just like they did with Le'Veon Bell!

They were saying that, instead of letting it go public, they should have just make a few calls to teams and say "Antonio's available to be traded," and they could have gotten a first round pick (Jones-Drew said maybe even TWO), but now they'll be lucky to get a second-round pick and maybe even just have to cut him and let him hit free agency!

There's  one thing is that it screams disgruntled player and in that scenario no team is going to sign a player without making sure he isn't going to hold them for ransom. I would bet he ends up with a team that has a shot at a title(GB,NO,Indy). If anyone thinks he is going to fade into oblivion without trying to show up the Steelers and Ben are definitely disillusioned. AB, like Bell, has them by the short hairs and will pull until he gets his way.

RE: Steelers Screw Up Another One! - McC - 03-08-2019

How much leverage does Brown really have, though? All the Steelers really have to do is nothing and then the most Brown can do is not play and not get paid.

RE: Steelers Screw Up Another One! - grampahol - 03-08-2019

With any luck at all the entire team will soon be disgruntled and go to work at the post office..  Popcorn  

RE: Steelers Screw Up Another One! - Captain Obvious - 03-08-2019

(03-08-2019, 02:08 PM)McC Wrote: How much leverage does Brown really have, though?  All the Steelers really have to do is nothing and then the most Brown can do is not play and not get paid.

Exactly. Brown holds no cards in this. He can threaten to not show up for camp, so the other teams wont trade him, but then he'll be stuck being in the locker room with fellow Steelers players that he pissed off and if he doesn't show up, he doesn't get paid and loses all that money. Whatever happened to honoring the contracts you signed? Players feel they don't need to honor them and can throw a fit and get your own way. They will never get any respect throwing a temper tantrum like this.

RE: Steelers Screw Up Another One! - McC - 03-08-2019

(03-08-2019, 04:29 PM)Captain Obvious Wrote: Exactly. Brown holds no cards in this. He can threaten to not show up for camp, so the other teams wont trade him, but then he'll be stuck being in the locker room with fellow Steelers players that he pissed off and if he doesn't show up, he doesn't get paid and loses all that money. Whatever happened to honoring the contracts you signed? Players feel they don't need to honor them and can throw a fit and get your own way. They will never get any respect throwing a temper tantrum like this.

Somebody on ESPN said this morning that AB is acting like he's a FA but he's still got three years left on his deal.

Never really understood that I'm gonna be my own worst enemy philosophy.

RE: Steelers Screw Up Another One! - XenoMorph - 03-08-2019

(03-08-2019, 01:11 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: The people on Good Morning Football this morning were pointing out how the Steelers botched another situation and screwed themselves, just like they did with Le'Veon Bell!

to be fair to the steelers Brown is the one going public with everything lol

(03-08-2019, 04:35 PM)McC Wrote: Somebody on ESPN said this morning that AB is acting like he's a FA but he's still got three years left on his deal.

Never really understood that I'm gonna be my own worst enemy philosophy.

I never understood it either. He's lucky enough to have the talent to play a game for a living and make millions of dollars doing it. I would be perfectly fine honoring a contract and playing the best I could to get a new bigger contract when the current one expires. Throwing a temper tantrum, won't get teams wanting to sign you. You'll burn your bridges and have to settle for the best contract offered from teams willing to take a chance on your character issues. 

RE: Steelers Screw Up Another One! - BFritz21 - 03-08-2019

(03-08-2019, 05:33 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: to be fair to the steelers Brown is the one going public with everything lol

He didn't really start going public until the offseason (February, I think?).  His first public problem was when he didn't play in week 17, but did the Steelers know that there was a problem with Brown before that?  It appears so, and particularly with Big Ben.

Steelers tried to strong arm him and thought everything would work out just because they're the Steelers, just like they thought it would with Bell!

RE: Steelers Screw Up Another One! - Catmandude123 - 03-08-2019

(03-08-2019, 05:35 PM)Captain Obvious Wrote: I never understood it either. He's lucky enough to have the talent to play a game for a living and make millions of dollars doing it. I would be perfectly fine honoring a contract and playing the best I could to get a new bigger contract when the current one expires. Throwing a temper tantrum, won't get teams wanting to sign you. You'll burn your bridges and have to settle for the best contract offered from teams willing to take a chance on your character issues. 
He is going to get at least 60 million over the next three years unless the Steelers cut him. It costs the Steelers 21 million in dead money to cut him.  He comes to camp and puts in little or no effort while drawing his salary, now tell me again how he has no leverage. He's holding all the cards and you would have to be blind not to see it.

(03-08-2019, 06:27 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: He is going to get at least 60 million over the next three years unless the Steelers cut him. It costs the Steelers 21 million in dead money to cut him.  He comes to camp and puts in little or no effort while drawing his salary, now tell me again how he has no leverage. He's holding all the cards and you would have to be blind not to see it.

If he doesn't come to games, he gets fined. He won't get that money. If he doesn't try, he'll be fined as well. The Steelers hold the cards with him right now because he's still under contract for 3 more years. What he's failing to see, is his attitude right now will limit the teams willing to risk trading for him. The Steelers will get him traded, or he'll play for the Steelers or sit out and not get paid. Those are the only choices. How is that holding all the cards?

RE: Steelers Screw Up Another One! - StoneTheCrow - 03-08-2019

He’ll play for the Steelers next season.

That’s my prediction and hope.

RE: Steelers Screw Up Another One! - Catmandude123 - 03-09-2019

(03-08-2019, 10:50 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: He’ll play for the Steelers next season.

That’s my prediction and hope.

It will be a shit storm of epic proportion. 

(03-08-2019, 10:43 PM)Captain Obvious Wrote: If he doesn't come to games, he gets fined. He won't get that money. If he doesn't try, he'll be fined as well. The Steelers hold the cards with him right now because he's still under contract for 3 more years. What he's failing to see, is his attitude right now will limit the teams willing to risk trading for him. The Steelers will get him traded, or he'll play for the Steelers or sit out and not get paid. Those are the only choices. How is that holding all the cards?

I know you want to believe the Steelers have control of AB but it is kind of like the control they had over Bell. He gets paid for showing up. The players union is not going to agree to fine him for not getting good stats. So like I told you before if you think by having to pay a player 12.65 mil in 2019 and not being able to get a decent trade for the best receiver in football has the Steelers in control , you are totally delusional.

RE: Steelers Screw Up Another One! - BFritz21 - 03-09-2019

(03-09-2019, 10:25 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: I know you want to believe the Steelers have control of AB but it is kind of like the control they had over Bell. He gets paid for showing up. The players union is not going to agree to fine him for not getting good stats. So like I told you before if you think by having to pay a player 12.65 mil in 2019 and not being able to get a decent trade for the best receiver in football has the Steelers in control , you are totally delusional.

That's every Steelers fan ever  ThumbsUp

(03-08-2019, 10:43 PM)Captain Obvious Wrote: If he doesn't come to games, he gets fined. He won't get that money. If he doesn't try, he'll be fined as well. The Steelers hold the cards with him right now because he's still under contract for 3 more years. What he's failing to see, is his attitude right now will limit the teams willing to risk trading for him. The Steelers will get him traded, or he'll play for the Steelers or sit out and not get paid. Those are the only choices. How is that holding all the cards?

Let me put it in more simple terms. You can pay him 12mil per year or you could pay 7mil to get rid of the problem. You take the 5+ mil savings and put it toward helping the team. The Steelers cut off their nose to spite their face when it came to Bell. The 14 mil they tied up could have gotten a player who could put them over the top. All you Steelers fans believe his contract enslaves AB but slavery ended decades ago.

RE: Steelers Screw Up Another One! - Luvnit2 - 03-09-2019

(03-08-2019, 02:08 PM)McC Wrote: How much leverage does Brown really have, though?  All the Steelers really have to do is nothing and then the most Brown can do is not play and not get paid.

True, but like Bell last year, he will count against the cap this year. If he does not play, the cap would be credited in 2020, but that does not help a team with not much cap room in 2019

RE: Steelers Screw Up Another One! - McC - 03-09-2019

(03-09-2019, 10:17 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: It will be a shit storm of epic proportion. 

Sounds like a lot Bengal fan wishful thinking.  Here's a hint--stop hoping the Steelers go backwards and start wanting the Bengals to move forward and pass them.  You can't get anywhere hoping the bully will fall down and hurt himself.  You have to get stronger and smarter and go knock him down.   Been that way since David v Goliath.

(03-09-2019, 02:16 PM)McC Wrote: Sounds like a lot Bengal fan wishful thinking.  Here's a hint--stop hoping the Steelers go backwards and start wanting the Bengals to move forward and pass them.  You can't get anywhere hoping the bully will fall down and hurt himself.  You have to get stronger and smarter and go knock him down.   Been that way since David v Goliath.

True but you also can't be a bully and expect people not to laugh and rejoice when Karma jumps up and *****-saps you Steelers fans in the face. And it will for the foreseeable future. We Bengals fans don't have anything to enjoy about what has happened in the past but I sure don't hear too much from the loud mouthed ,obnoxious fanbase of the Steelers. The last two years have been fun , please don't try to make it about the Bengals because it isn't.

RE: Steelers Screw Up Another One! - Captain Obvious - 03-09-2019

(03-09-2019, 10:25 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: I know you want to believe the Steelers have control of AB but it is kind of like the control they had over Bell. He gets paid for showing up. The players union is not going to agree to fine him for not getting good stats. So like I told you before if you think by having to pay a player 12.65 mil in 2019 and not being able to get a decent trade for the best receiver in football has the Steelers in control , you are totally delusional.

I know you want to believe that Brown holds all the cards because of your hatred for the Steelers, but don't lose your common sense over it. This is NOTHING like the Bell situation. Brown is STILL under contract for 3 more years. When Bell did his crap, he wasn't under contract. Bell at least had the decency to play out his contract. I admire him for that. He wasn't under any contract to the Steelers to play for them. Bell is still under contract and thinks he should now get guaranteed money when he's still playing on a contract. The Steelers could fine him for not showing up and suspend him for a rules violation if he gives up. They could make up a rule that he broke to suspend him. Yes, it would be dirty on their part, but it's a way to get money back if they feel he's trying to screw them over. It would be his word against their theirs. The bottom line is, he has a contract, and unless he wants to sit out 3 years, he better stop screwing up any trades or come prepared to play for the Steelers.