Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
DE- Vinny Curry to visit Monday - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: DE- Vinny Curry to visit Monday (/Thread-DE-Vinny-Curry-to-visit-Monday)

Pages: 1 2 3

DE- Vinny Curry to visit Monday - Bengalholic - 03-16-2019

'Curry signed a "three-year, $27 million" contract just last year, but he disappointed with just 2.5 sacks in 12 games and was not a good fit with the Bucs' new defensive scheme. $5 million of his 2019 base salary would have become guaranteed in March, so moving on was a no-brainer for the Bucs.' - Rotoworld

RE: DE- Vinny Curry to visit Monday - SunsetBengal - 03-16-2019

Depth at Strong Side DE? Maybe they're not pleased with Jordan Willis' development?

Curry seems a bit big to be used as Rush End, nothing really jumps out in his stats as "special". He does have a fair number of QB hits, however, but his tackle numbers are pretty low, so likely not a force in stopping the run.

RE: DE- Vinny Curry to visit Monday - THE PISTONS - 03-16-2019

3-4?

RE: DE- Vinny Curry to visit Monday - jason - 03-16-2019

(03-16-2019, 12:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Depth at Strong Side DE? Maybe they're not pleased with Jordan Willis' development?

Curry seems a bit big to be used as Rush End, nothing really jumps out in his stats as "special". He does have a fair number of QB hits, however, but his tackle numbers are pretty low, so likely not a force in stopping the run.

Hell... I forgot Willis was even on the team.

RE: DE- Vinny Curry to visit Monday - SunsetBengal - 03-16-2019

(03-16-2019, 01:09 PM)jason Wrote: Hell... I forgot Willis was even on the team.

I had hopes for Willis to become a trusted member of the Bengal defense, he's been a little underwhelming, to say the least.  I was in awe, when I saw how jacked he was, in the first pre-season game, last season.  I guess it was just another example of "Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane".

RE: DE- Vinny Curry to visit Monday - THE PISTONS - 03-16-2019

He's not bad...just not good either. Kind of meh.

RE: DE- Vinny Curry to visit Monday - WhodeyRay - 03-16-2019

He seemed to loose speed last year. I'm not sure but I think I remember someone one here saying Marvin had him put on like 15-20 pounds last year. Maybe the new coaches will allow lighter speed ends and he can go back to his old playing weight from his rookie year.

RE: DE- Vinny Curry to visit Monday - Truck_1_0_1_ - 03-16-2019

Vinny Curry is a great depth guy and a mediocre, but not amazing, starter in this league; the Eagles getting him in the second round was lauded as a good pick and not a reach; he has probably played up to his status and projection(s).

He's a consummate 4-3 End and, as the snippet says, was even cut this year because the Bucs are running a 3-4, so no, this has absolutely 0 bearing on our looks, not to mention if anything, its the complete opposite.

We'll see.

RE: DE- Vinny Curry to visit Monday - impactplaya - 03-16-2019

Willis has one psss rush move and that one isnt even effective
Willis might be a cut this year too.
Curry would be a nice value pick

RE: DE- Vinny Curry to visit Monday - TSwigZ - 03-16-2019

No thanks he’s been cut by last two teams

RE: DE- Vinny Curry to visit Monday - Truck_1_0_1_ - 03-16-2019

(03-16-2019, 03:33 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: No thanks he’s been cut by last two teams

Eagles: contract expired, so no.
Bucs: Cut because of scheme change.

Its not black and white.

RE: DE- Vinny Curry to visit Monday - Shake n Blake - 03-16-2019

(03-16-2019, 12:45 PM)Bengalholic Wrote:
'Curry signed a "three-year, $27 million" contract just last year, but he disappointed with just 2.5 sacks in 12 games and was not a good fit with the Bucs' new defensive scheme. $5 million of his 2019 base salary would have become guaranteed in March, so moving on was a no-brainer for the Bucs.' - Rotoworld

2.5 sacks looks like the norm for this guy. His stats page looks just like Robert Geathers. One big sack season (9.0) and a bunch of 2-3 sack seasons. He did have 18 QB hits for the champion Eagles in 2017 though. On a cheap contract, he may be worth a look for depth.

(03-16-2019, 03:33 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: No thanks he’s been cut by last two teams

You do realize that lots of great players have "cut by two teams" on their resume, right? Players aren't always cut because "they suck". There's numerous reasons why a player can be cut, including salary cap issues or coaching changes (scheme fit), etc.

RE: DE- Vinny Curry to visit Monday - Fan_in_Kettering - 03-16-2019

(03-16-2019, 01:07 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: 3-4?

Not in Cincinnati, per Lou Anarumo.

DE- Vinny Curry to visit Monday - Phil in BG - 03-16-2019

(03-16-2019, 01:09 PM)jason Wrote: Hell... I forgot Willis was even on the team.

Too young for Marvin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: DE- Vinny Curry to visit Monday - jj22 - 03-17-2019

At 31, it's safe to wonder how much he has left in the tank. Hopefully a one year deal if it happens.

RE: DE- Vinny Curry to visit Monday - Bengal Dude - 03-18-2019

(03-16-2019, 01:38 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He's not bad...just not good either. Kind of meh.

Basically the theme of this free agency. Pure meh.

RE: DE- Vinny Curry to visit Monday - SHRacerX - 03-18-2019

(03-16-2019, 01:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I had hopes for Willis to become a trusted member of the Bengal defense, he's been a little underwhelming, to say the least.  I was in awe, when I saw how jacked he was, in the first pre-season game, last season.  I guess it was just another example of "Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane".

Interesting read on both Willis and Dennard.  I think what Willis has missed most is opportunity.

RE: DE- Vinny Curry to visit Monday - ochocincos - 03-18-2019

(03-16-2019, 02:58 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: He seemed to loose speed last year. I'm not sure but I think I remember someone one here saying Marvin had him put on like 15-20 pounds last year. Maybe the new coaches will allow lighter speed ends and he can go back to his old playing weight from his rookie year.

Willis went from 255 his rookie year to 275 last year. He has a good motor and speed, but I wouldn't be surprised if that quick, big jump in size has affected his movement. Plus, as others said, he needs to have more variance in his pass rush repertoire.

RE: DE- Vinny Curry to visit Monday - jj22 - 03-18-2019

I think we should target youth. Not sure how much different Curry would be then resigning MJ. They both are on the wrong side of 30.

RE: DE- Vinny Curry to visit Monday - XenoMorph - 03-18-2019

(03-17-2019, 09:50 PM)jj22 Wrote: At 31, it's safe to wonder how much he has left in the tank. Hopefully a one year deal if it happens.

Vet Depth...

to help learn the youngins

lol just but we have to have good depth to get that DL rotation going full swing again