Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Dennard Wanted 10 million - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Dennard Wanted 10 million (/Thread-Dennard-Wanted-10-million)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Dennard Wanted 10 million - Junglejuice - 03-20-2019

This is the one thing about FA that seems to slip by people who are all means logical 99% of the time on here and then get out the pitchforks in March every year. There are a lot of variables to FA and they don't always line up in a nice black and white situation like people act like.

Things to take into account before exploding.

- Market price vs value. Salary cap problems happen when you blindly throw money at a guy just to get him. That is why a lot of big name FA are once again FAs in a year or 2 after their big deal. Its also why some guys that fans are all in are still out there due to overpricing their services.

- Team opinion. This happens behind closed doors and no matter how we the fans feel about a player or if they belong, teams can and do often see it a different way.

- Scheme fit. Coaches have an idea of the guy that will or could fit what they want. No matter how much film we like to talk about watching on a message board they are the professionals and its their show.

- Player wanting to visit and sign. It takes two to tango and sometimes money be damned players just don't have an interest in your team.

I think people lose sight of this and just want flashy names. Sure its frustrating that the team is not adding exciting names to our roster but this team chooses the draft to home grow talent. For what its worth whether you agree with the moves or not they have been quite busy as opposed to the past. Generally we would not have signed anyone outside the company within the first 2-3 weeks.
At least they are addressing things a little bit and trying to limit they pre draft holes.

RE: Dennard Wanted 10 million - jj22 - 03-20-2019

They couldl use that money for Zach Brown, but they won't because they are waiting to see if they need it for Dennard. That's my point. Hobspin said Webb had no barring on re-singing Dennard.

They should either move on and plan to draft his replacement and use the money for someone else instead of waiting to see what happens with Dennard as Hobspin said (Hobspin actually said there will be no further moves until Eifert and Dennard gets sorted out).

RE: Dennard Wanted 10 million - McC - 03-20-2019

(03-20-2019, 06:06 PM)jj22 Wrote: They couldl use that money for Zach Brown, but they won't because they are waiting to see if they need it for Dennard. That's my point. Hobspin said Webb had no barring on re-singing Dennard.

They should either move on and plan to draft his replacement and use the money for someone else instead of waiting to see what happens with Dennard as Hobspin said (Hobspin actually said there will be no further moves until Eifert and Dennard gets sorted out).

How come Zach Brown is getting zero interest from anybody?  I don't have any idea but if he was our answer, he'd at least be visiting teams, wouldn't he?

And how do you know they are waiting on Dennard?  Has anybody reported that?  I haven't seen it anywhere.  As far as any of us know, they might have no interest in Dennard.

He can tackle but he keeps getting injured doing it.  His ball skills are practically non-existent.  Even when he's in position, he makes no plays on the ball.  Is that worth anywhere near 10 mil a year?

RE: Dennard Wanted 10 million - BengalFanInNJ - 03-20-2019

Maybe they have offered something like this, but why don't the Bengals offer what they offered and then add incentives that could let Dennard get that $10 million?

I think Dennard making $10 million 3 years from now may be a good deal.

RE: Dennard Wanted 10 million - Shake n Blake - 03-21-2019

Tbh, I don't want Dennard back at $5 million. He's not that good. Why sign 2 mediocre nickel corners for 4+ million each?

RE: Dennard Wanted 10 million - Socal Bengals fan - 03-21-2019

(03-20-2019, 07:01 PM)McC Wrote: How come Zach Brown is getting zero interest from anybody?  I don't have any idea but if he was our answer, he'd at least be visiting teams, wouldn't he?

And how do you know they are waiting on Dennard?  Has anybody reported that?  I haven't seen it anywhere.  As far as any of us know, they might have no interest in Dennard.

He can tackle but he keeps getting injured doing it.  His ball skills are practically non-existent.  Even when he's in position, he makes no plays on the ball.  Is that worth anywhere near 10 mil a year?
Maybe his price tag? And a lot of clubs n scouts say he’s overrated . But he’s way better than what we have. I’d take him unless the Bengals are going to take White or Bush at #11.

RE: Dennard Wanted 10 million - jj22 - 03-21-2019

(03-20-2019, 07:01 PM)McC Wrote: And how do you know they are waiting on Dennard?  Has anybody reported that?  I haven't seen it anywhere.  As far as any of us know, they might have no interest in Dennard.

Hobson reported it after the news broke of our visits with free agents last week.

https://www.bengals.com/news/miller-looms-at-rg-in-three-year-deal

Quote:Reports had the Bengals hosting this week Patriots defensive tackle Danny Shelton and Denver linebacker Shaq Barrett, but they were apparently content to ink Miller and Webb in the last 24 hours while waiting to see what happens with Eifert and Dennard. Barrett ended up going to Tampa on a one-year deal.

Doesn't sound like we are making anymore moves until we know for sure about Dennard. Which I think is lame. We should just decide to move on and use that money elsewhere. Waiting and missing out on potential targets for Dennard, who sounds like he's not interested to return is either an excuse for not making anymore moves, or typical MB bad business.

RE: Dennard Wanted 10 million - McC - 03-21-2019

(03-21-2019, 09:52 AM)jj22 Wrote: Hobson reported it after the news broke of our visits with free agents last week.

https://www.bengals.com/news/miller-looms-at-rg-in-three-year-deal

Doesn't sound like we are making anymore moves until we know for sure about Dennard. Which I think is lame. We should just decide to move on and use that money elsewhere.  Waiting and missing out on potential targets for Dennard, who sounds like he's not interested to return is either an excuse for not making anymore moves, or typical MB bad business.

I hope they don't sign him at all.  He's not that good.  Phillips will be better.  He understands that part of a DB's job is to play the ball, a concept Dennard never seemed to grasp.  Add to that, hurt every year and slow.  Marvin was full of shit about how good he is/was/ever will be.  People love to ***** about first rounders not being worthy.  He's a perfect example. 

The league is saying a big no thank you to him.  We should do the same.

RE: Dennard Wanted 10 million - fredtoast - 03-21-2019

(03-21-2019, 09:52 AM)jj22 Wrote:  Waiting and missing out on potential targets for Dennard, who sounds like he's not interested to return is either an excuse for not making anymore moves, or typical MB bad business.

Or maybe it is smart to pe patient and get Dennard at the proper price once he sees he is not getting $10 million somewhere else

(03-21-2019, 11:44 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Or maybe it is smart to pe patient and get Dennard at the proper price once he sees he is not getting $10 million somewhere else

I guess that depends on how many of their "targets" signed elsewhere as they continue to wait. And of course if Dennard even returns. If he doesn't, it's a lose lose for the Bengals, and a gamble not many (if any) teams take.

I say why be reactive? Be proactive. Determine you are going to move on and try to use the money to improve elsewhere. But we all know they are likely done in free agency, so the argument is moot.

Easier to sell the fanbase they are waiting on Dennard.

I do have to say at least we aren't the Colts, who actually have a shot, but did nothing to try to go for it this season. They forgot about their 1-6 start. Their fans are sounding like us.

RE: Dennard Wanted 10 million - McC - 03-21-2019

(03-21-2019, 11:44 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Or maybe it is smart to pe patient and get Dennard at the proper price once he sees he is not getting $10 million somewhere else

It looks like he's not getting anything anywhere.  Exactly one team even brought him in--a team very much in need of secondary help--and he didn't get signed.

Dennard should take a one year prove it deal. But his pride would likely keep him from doing that here. Especially after he (his reps) refused to take the Bengals calls the last they tried to reach out to him.

That to me would have ended my pursuit.

RE: Dennard Wanted 10 million - Shake n Blake - 03-21-2019

(03-21-2019, 01:33 PM)jj22 Wrote: Dennard should take a one year prove it deal. But his pride would likely keep him from doing that here. Especially after he (his reps) refused to take the Bengals calls the last they tried to reach out to him.

That to me would have ended my pursuit.

I just find the idea that Darqueze Dennard - of all people - would hold them up on anything. Like they're waiting on pins and needles to hear back from a mediocre player. Even after they signed a mediocre replacement. Seems silly to me.

RE: Dennard Wanted 10 million - bengalfan74 - 03-21-2019

Or better yet let him walk, he's just not that good.

RE: Dennard Wanted 10 million - motoarch - 03-21-2019

(03-21-2019, 12:41 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Tbh, I don't want Dennard back at $5 million. He's not that good. Why sign 2 mediocre nickel corners for 4+ million each?

He's not great but cb market is thin this year and relative to what's on the market he's in the top 5 at his position  Maybe higher.

RE: Dennard Wanted 10 million - fredtoast - 03-21-2019

(03-21-2019, 01:27 PM)jj22 Wrote: it's a lose lose for the Bengals, and a gamble not many (if any) teams take.

Actually most teams do the exact same thing.  Or do you really believe that no other teams are going to sign any more free agents.

RE: Dennard Wanted 10 million - BoomerFan - 03-21-2019

(03-20-2019, 01:14 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not really. Joseph wound up being a great deal, while the Leon Hall deal burned us severely. Since we made that decision:

Joseph

9 missed games (8 seasons)
2 Pro Bowls
1 team (Texans)
14 INT's
105 passes defensed

Hall

40 missed games (8 seasons)
0 Pro Bowls
4 teams (Bengals, Giants, 49ers, Raiders, currently a free agent again)
9 INT's
47 passes defensed

-------------

Not that Joseph is making $10 million anymore...but if you just look at his production under the contract he signed in 2011, he made 2 Pro Bowls, has 12 INT's, 74 passes defensed. He earned the contract.

Whoa. That is way worse than I thought. I wanted to keep JJoe at the time but boy did we blow that. 

RE: Dennard Wanted 10 million - JungleRock85 - 03-21-2019

Bengals in "full boil talks" according to Hobspin

RE: Dennard Wanted 10 million - Au165 - 03-21-2019

(03-21-2019, 02:57 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: Bengals in "full boil talks" according to Hobspin

Considering Hobson never talks about this stuff, make me think it will probably happen. 

RE: Dennard Wanted 10 million - Okeana - 03-21-2019

thats good news talks are open again. Getting Dennard at an actual good price is a win.