Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Extend AJ Green and/or Tyler Boyd? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Extend AJ Green and/or Tyler Boyd? (/Thread-Extend-AJ-Green-and-or-Tyler-Boyd)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Extend AJ Green and/or Tyler Boyd? - BengalChris - 04-09-2019

Both AJ Green and Tyler Boyd are entering contract years. AJ Green could go down as the greatest Bengals WR ever and Boyd certainly came into his own last season and ended the 2018 season as the 4th ranked slot receiver.

The team has cap space to extend both.

What should the Bengals do?

I'm voting for extending both of them. There's cap space and they are the two most reliable receivers the team has and I don't see the team spending a high pick this year to replace one of them.

RE: Extend AJ Green and/or Tyler Boyd? - NKURyan - 04-09-2019

Extend both.

RE: Extend AJ Green and/or Tyler Boyd? - jason - 04-09-2019

Yuuuup...

RE: Extend AJ Green and/or Tyler Boyd? - Bryan - 04-09-2019

Ideally both. If I was forced to choose? AJ. AJ has proven time and time again he can get it done. Boyd broke out last year and that's great, but AJ has the better sample size

RE: Extend AJ Green and/or Tyler Boyd? - Nicomo Cosca - 04-09-2019

(04-09-2019, 08:53 PM)Bryan Wrote: Ideally both. If I was forced to choose? AJ. AJ has proven time and time again he can get it done. Boyd broke out last year and that's great, but AJ has the better sample size

This. Boyd has been good one year out of three. AJ has been good every year (injuries being his only drawback).

Has to be both though. Especially with Ross still being a question mark.

RE: Extend AJ Green and/or Tyler Boyd? - Bryan - 04-09-2019

(04-09-2019, 09:00 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This. Boyd has been good one year out of three. AJ has been good every year (injuries being his only drawback).

Hopefully Ross can step up, I mean it's great that he scored 7 TDs last year, but we drafted him for his deep play ability 10 ypc ain't cutting it.

RE: Extend AJ Green and/or Tyler Boyd? - JWW1971 - 04-09-2019

Got to get both signed up and hopefully before the first game of the season, they can them both concentrate on having a great year

RE: Extend AJ Green and/or Tyler Boyd? - jason - 04-09-2019

(04-09-2019, 09:00 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This. Boyd has been good one year out of three. AJ has been good every year (injuries being his only drawback).

He wasn't spectacular, but Tyler Boyd had a solid rookie season. Not every WR explodes as a rookie like AJ, Julio, or Moss. I'm sure you know that most don't. They usually make that leap in year 2 or 3. He was a dud his second season for sure.

RE: Extend AJ Green and/or Tyler Boyd? - Nicomo Cosca - 04-09-2019

(04-09-2019, 10:06 PM)jason Wrote: He wasn't spectacular, but Tyler Boyd had a solid rookie season. Not every WR explodes as a rookie like AJ, Julio, or Moss. I'm sure you know that most don't. They usually make that leap in year 2 or 3. He was a dud his second season for sure.

Point is if AJ is healthy he’s balling. People got on him (including himself) for 2017 being a down year, but he still put up 1k+ yds and 8 TD.

A down year for AJ is probably close to Boyd’s ceiling.

RE: Extend AJ Green and/or Tyler Boyd? - BengalChris - 04-09-2019

I guess I should have included a "Do not extend either one" option but didn't think of it at the time. If you believe the team would be better off not extending either Green or Boyd, just post a response saying so.

RE: Extend AJ Green and/or Tyler Boyd? - TheLeonardLeap - 04-09-2019

Bigger question is... do they WANT to be extended? It's a two-way street, and depending on how the 2019 season goes, AJ Green will have gone from 5 straight playoffs, to 4 straight losing seasons, and Tyler Boyd has yet to ever see a winning season in the NFL.

If the Bengals have a 4th straight losing season, AJ Green might take a look at his age (31 this coming season) and realize he only had one good contract left in him to do achieve with his career. He might go chasing the trophy.

- - - - - - - - -
Also AJ is great, but he won't be the greatest Bengal WR ever. That's still Chad Johnson all the way. Chad Johnson had a stretch where he was the most consistently dominant WR in the league. Don't forget with all the Ochocinco antics that Chad Johnson made THREE straight 1st Team All-Pros from '04-'06. (Green has 0)

2003-2007, Chad finished 4th, 6th, 3rd, 1st, and 3rd in receiving yards in the toughest defensive division in football. (In '04 the Steelers, Browns, and Ravens had the 4th, 5th, and 10th ranked pass defenses, respectively. In '05 the Browns, Ravens, and Steelers were 4th, 8th, and 16th.) Guy was going against Troy Polamalu, Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, and STILL dominated.

Never forget how absurdly good he was.

RE: Extend AJ Green and/or Tyler Boyd? - Goalpost - 04-10-2019

Have to try and sign both. It would hurt to lose Boyd. He's only 24. Dude showed a lot of toughness last year. He became legit and dependable.

RE: Extend AJ Green and/or Tyler Boyd? - SunsetBengal - 04-10-2019

(04-09-2019, 10:06 PM)jason Wrote: He wasn't spectacular, but Tyler Boyd had a solid rookie season. Not every WR explodes as a rookie like AJ, Julio, or Moss. I'm sure you know that most don't. They usually make that leap in year 2 or 3. He was a dud his second season for sure.

It's not uncommon for NFL players to experience a "Sophomore slump", and then bounce back to be valuable assets to their teams.  Even in the year that he had some struggles, he was able to re-establish himself at the end of the year.  Remember that game winning catch for TD, the one that knocked the Ravens out and put the Bills into the playoffs?

RE: Extend AJ Green and/or Tyler Boyd? - Catmandude123 - 04-10-2019

(04-09-2019, 11:32 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Bigger question is... do they WANT to be extended? It's a two-way street, and depending on how the 2019 season goes, AJ Green will have gone from 5 straight playoffs, to 4 straight losing seasons, and Tyler Boyd has yet to ever see a winning season in the NFL.

If the Bengals have a 4th straight losing season, AJ Green might take a look at his age (31 this coming season) and realize he only had one good contract left in him to do achieve with his career. He might go chasing the trophy.

- - - - - - - - -
Also AJ is great, but he won't be the greatest Bengal WR ever. That's still Chad Johnson all the way. Chad Johnson had a stretch where he was the most consistently dominant WR in the league. Don't forget with all the Ochocinco antics that Chad Johnson made THREE straight 1st Team All-Pros from '04-'06. (Green has 0)

2003-2007, Chad finished 4th, 6th, 3rd, 1st, and 3rd in receiving yards in the toughest defensive division in football. (In '04 the Steelers, Browns, and Ravens had the 4th, 5th, and 10th ranked pass defenses, respectively. In '05 the Browns, Ravens, and Steelers were 4th, 8th, and 16th.) Guy was going against Troy Polamalu, Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, and STILL dominated.

Never forget how absurdly good he was.
Never forget he had a QB who could stretch the field. Never forget he left and couldn't even get on the field with the Pats. Never forget he was a total A-hole causing team problems. If AJ was drafted by a team with a accurate deep ball throwing QB he would probably be talked about as one of the GOAT receivers. Chad has had 56 more starts and only 2000 more yards than AJ. All AJ has to do is average 40 yards/ game to tie. So tell me again how Chad is the greatest Bengal wide out.

RE: Extend AJ Green and/or Tyler Boyd? - XenoMorph - 04-10-2019

They are probly working on it we tend to see the extensions signed/handed out right before they report to training camp... So we might not hear anything till then

RE: Extend AJ Green and/or Tyler Boyd? - Luvnit2 - 04-10-2019

Ideally we sign both, but I would sign Boyd to a 4 or 5 year deal as 1st priority.

If we can't get Green signed, we can franchise him for 1 or more years. He is worth a franchise tag and Boyd would not be. Also AJ is 30+ now, sign the younger guy and lock him up.

RE: Extend AJ Green and/or Tyler Boyd? - Nately120 - 04-10-2019

(04-09-2019, 11:12 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I guess I should have included a "Do not extend either one" option but didn't think of it at the time. If you believe the team would be better off not extending either Green or Boyd, just post a response saying so.

Anyone who wouldn't extend either would obviously somehow be the cousin of both Ross and Tate.

RE: Extend AJ Green and/or Tyler Boyd? - XenoMorph - 04-10-2019

(04-10-2019, 10:36 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Anyone who wouldn't extend either would obviously somehow be the cousin of both Ross and Tate.

this new Tate makes me miss the old Tate.

RE: Extend AJ Green and/or Tyler Boyd? - Nicomo Cosca - 04-10-2019

(04-10-2019, 09:54 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Never forget he had a QB who could stretch the field. Never forget he left and couldn't even get on the field with the Pats. Never forget he was a total A-hole causing team problems. If AJ was drafted by a team with a accurate deep ball throwing QB he would probably be talked about as one of the GOAT receivers. Chad has had 56 more starts and only 2000 more yards than AJ. All AJ has to do is average 40 yards/ game to tie. So tell me again how Chad is the greatest Bengal wide out.

Chad was not an asshole, nor did he cause the team problems. His antics were all in good fun compared to other “diva” WR’s.

Do agree he had a better QB though...

RE: Extend AJ Green and/or Tyler Boyd? - SunsetBengal - 04-10-2019

(04-10-2019, 10:57 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Chad was not an asshole, nor did he cause the team problems. His antics were all in good fun compared to other “diva” WR’s.

Do agree he had a better QB though...

His antics were cute for a while, then they became an annoyance.