Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
***Official 2019 NFL Draft Discussion Thread*** - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: ***Official 2019 NFL Draft Discussion Thread*** (/Thread-Official-2019-NFL-Draft-Discussion-Thread)

RE: ***Official 2019 NFL Draft Discussion Thread*** - NKURyan - 04-26-2019

(04-26-2019, 09:59 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: He didn’t drop anything because they didn’t throw him anything

The Bungle fan-splainin going on here is priceless

Dude, I just quoted something I read, I don't know a damn thing about this guy. I'm willing to bet most people here don't, either.

Some of you guys are moodier than a teenage girl with bipolar disorder.

RE: ***Official 2019 NFL Draft Discussion Thread*** - Synric - 04-26-2019

Inline Te-Ys are always rated lower in the draft but are drafted higher. Blocking just isnt as flashy as pass catching but just as important.

RE: ***Official 2019 NFL Draft Discussion Thread*** - TheLeonardLeap - 04-26-2019

(04-26-2019, 09:56 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Eifert cannot block were crap, and I really do not expect Eifert to play a full season in the NFL.  I hope he does, but I am not expecting him to remain healthy for the year.  So yes, 2 TE sets will indicate the Bengals are going to pound the rock.  

Pounding the ball while your defense continues to be the worst in the NFL sounds like a great way to lose 41-13 every game.

(04-26-2019, 09:59 PM)Nately120 Wrote: There is even less film on me...well, except for that film I made when I was in college and desperate for money.

PETA is still looking for you. Really should be ashamed.

RE: ***Official 2019 NFL Draft Discussion Thread*** - THE PISTONS - 04-26-2019

Drafting a backup TE is something you do when you have good starters at every position. We don't.

RE: ***Official 2019 NFL Draft Discussion Thread*** - Shake n Blake - 04-26-2019

...and just like that, Sample is in the message board doghouse before he's been issued a uniform. 

Unless this guy has a 2 pack-a-day habit, I'll give him a shot to prove himself before bashing. 

RE: ***Official 2019 NFL Draft Discussion Thread*** - bfine32 - 04-26-2019

(04-26-2019, 09:56 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: I also like Sharping, but didn’t think he’d last until the 3rd.    On further review, Sample looks okay, but it also seems very likely he could have been netted with a third while adding a difference maker in the 2nd.

I agree Sample is a reach, but Zac obviously wants a TE that can block and catch in his offense. Perhaps we could have gotten him in the 3rd, but Zac wanted him there. 

We pick early in the 3rd and have an additional 4th. If my boy Pratt is there at 3 I'm happy. 

RE: ***Official 2019 NFL Draft Discussion Thread*** - psychdoctor - 04-26-2019

(04-26-2019, 09:55 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Well the guy has size for sure. If he can create any sort of space, he could be viable in the redzone. Just hope they didnt reach.

Seems like a 2 round reach but one never knows.  Seems like round 2 is high on him though.  Maybe round 3. 

Keep in mind the Bengals made that pick quickly.  They must see something in this guy in terms of ability to catch, block, leadership, teams.    

RE: ***Official 2019 NFL Draft Discussion Thread*** - BengalsRocker - 04-26-2019

A clip from Sample's career.

[Image: th?id=OIP.0on4xPqKtgKjcB5g6jTFlAHaFj&pid...=207&h=156]

The pick got a D+ guys.

(04-26-2019, 10:03 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Pounding the ball while your defense continues to be the worst in the NFL sounds like a great way to lose 41-13 every game.

The more we run the ball, the less that defense is on the field.

RE: ***Official 2019 NFL Draft Discussion Thread*** - OSUfan - 04-26-2019

Seems like many on these boards are employed evaluating NFL talent so what teams are it that you guys work?

I think Sample was very under utilized in the Washington offense. He checks virtually every box when you are looking for a starting NFL TE. I will trust the staff on this one as they certainly know better than anyone on these boards.

From the outside looking in I would have had to consider Mack Wilson with this selection or if I was going TE I would have had to consider Josh Oliver from San Jose State...however he is not near the blocker that Sample is.

RE: ***Official 2019 NFL Draft Discussion Thread*** - THE PISTONS - 04-26-2019

NFL Media analyst Lance Zierlein compared Washington TE Drew Sample to Indianapolis Colts TE Jack Doyle.

Sample (6'5/255) wasn't a big part of the passing game at Washington, but he did have a solid senior season with 21 catches for 252 yards and three scores in 2018. Doyle has been a solid receiver for the Colts when healthy, so this is relatively high praise. "While he might be typecast as just a blocking tight end, he possess enough speed and ball skills to become a more productive pass catcher than he was at Washington," writes Zierlein. "His size, football character and commitment as a run blocker give him a chance to become a solid combination tight end with TE2 potential."

RE: ***Official 2019 NFL Draft Discussion Thread*** - JumboTron - 04-26-2019

Just saw that Sample tweeted out earlier today that Avengers: End Game was "The best movie of all time."

Should've fallen off the entire draft board just for that.

RE: ***Official 2019 NFL Draft Discussion Thread*** - zygrot24 - 04-26-2019

Anyone defending picking him in the SECOND round needs to take off the homer glasses. This isnt just a bad pick, this is the worst pick in the draft by anyone so far.

RE: ***Official 2019 NFL Draft Discussion Thread*** - rfaulk34 - 04-26-2019

(04-26-2019, 09:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: great blocker that can catch, just what we needed at TE.

All true. But...in the 2nd round? 2nd?

If the Bengals were worried that someone else would snatch him up, they really didn't need to worry for a couple more rounds.

No doubt a LAR type TE for that system but...2nd round??

A backup, blocking TE--albeit a good 'hands catcher'--above anyone else that could have helped them anywhere else?

I sat here and tried to reason why it was a good pick, before posting, but...2nd round?

(04-26-2019, 10:03 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: ...and just like that, Sample is in the message board doghouse before he's been issued a uniform. 

Unless this guy has a 2 pack-a-day habit, I'll give him a shot to prove himself before bashing. 

Blasphemy!

RE: ***Official 2019 NFL Draft Discussion Thread*** - TKUHL - 04-26-2019

(04-26-2019, 10:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Bengals selected Washington TE Drew Sample with the No. 52 overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

This is a reach for a tight end who caught 46 passes TOTAL in his college career, but it is possible there is some untapped upside. Sample (6’5/255) started all four years for the Huskies, never earning higher than honorable mention All-Pac 12. He mainly generated scout plaudits for his blocking; an old-school, in-line "Y" tight end, PFF College graded Sample as one of the nation’s best run blockers in 2018, and he dropped 0-of-25 catchable targets. Sample tested better than expected in the forty (4.71) and three-cone (7.15) at the Combine, suggesting he may have untapped potential as a receiver. His ceiling is probably in the Jack Doyle range.

https://www.rotoworld.com/college-football/nfl-draft/player/37899/drew-sample

Still way to high in the draft to take a guy that might have some upside. We need a starting LB, more help on the Oline. I'm so pissed we have the amount of picks that we have and just let the OL players go just before us, then take the biggest reach of the draft so far on a guy with upside. Freakin disgusted. Pitt may very well get Bush and Wilson or Ferguson. Maybe we can get a kicker with some upside in the 3rd.

RE: ***Official 2019 NFL Draft Discussion Thread*** - bonesaw - 04-26-2019

Anytime you get a chance to grab a guy who averaged 10.6 yards a game in the second round playing those vaunted Pac12 defenses...you gotta sprint to the podium

(04-26-2019, 10:04 PM)JumboTron Wrote: Just saw that Sample tweeted out earlier today that Avengers: End Game was "The best movie of all time."

Should've fallen off the entire draft board just for that.

Yes, because hyperbole is limited only to the Bengals Board.

RE: ***Official 2019 NFL Draft Discussion Thread*** - Hoofhearted - 04-26-2019

(04-26-2019, 09:48 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: One way to get rid of the thugness we’ve had previously. But then again, it is football.

Having high character doesn't mean you're soft. It just means you do things the right way, know who you are, work hard etc.

RE: ***Official 2019 NFL Draft Discussion Thread*** - psychdoctor - 04-26-2019

(04-26-2019, 09:58 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: 25 catches 252 yds and 3 TD last year......blocking TE still needs to produce more than that in the NFL.

It depends on the offense scheme.  

It seems to me like the Bengals had him rated as the 3rd best TE in the draft behind Hochenson, and Smith, Jr. the way they rushed to the podium.  Odd.  Fans will watch him closely in the preseason for sure.  I hope Zac Taylor knows what he is doing.