Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Which RB gets the 2nd moat snaps behind JM this yr? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Which RB gets the 2nd moat snaps behind JM this yr? (/Thread-Which-RB-gets-the-2nd-moat-snaps-behind-JM-this-yr)

Pages: 1 2

Which RB gets the 2nd moat snaps behind JM this yr? - impactplaya - 05-16-2019

Barring a injury to Anderson or Williams
it looks like the Bengals will carry 4 RBs
on the 53 man roster.
Gio is rightfully so #2 on the depth chart.
hes earned that spot with being a pros pro
and proving himself on the field.
but RB is the one skill position spot where even
legit performers can be moved down the down
the depth chart or moved to another city.
Hunt,Howard, Bell, Crowell all come to mind in recent memory.
how do you see the picture at the #2 RB spot panning out this
year?
Will Williams or Anderson play at a such a level
that Gio has his snaps reduced?

RE: Which RB gets the 2nd moat snaps behind JM this yr? - XenoMorph - 05-16-2019

Snaps At RB? Gio.... that's pretty easy.

Althought those guys should get plenty of STs snaps. if they are active

RE: Which RB gets the 2nd moat snaps behind JM this yr? - ochocincos - 05-16-2019

I think Gio gets the second-most snaps at RB given he's getting $4.5 mill this year and in a contract year.
I think Trayveon Williams was drafted to be Gio's replacement and will take over RB2 duties next year while letting Gio go to another team.
Use that $4.5 mill to go toward another position in FA.

RE: Which RB gets the 2nd moat snaps behind JM this yr? - treee - 05-16-2019

Hopefully it's a true competition at camp and no spots are handed out purely based on salary. I have been saying for a while now that I think Gio has lost a step (or two) and am ready to see what else we can come up with.

RE: Which RB gets the 2nd moat snaps behind JM this yr? - ochocincos - 05-16-2019

(05-16-2019, 02:53 PM)treee Wrote: Hopefully it's a true competition at camp and no spots are handed out purely based on salary. I have been saying for a while now that I think Gio has lost a step (or two) and am ready to see what else we can come up with.

If Trayveon Williams can pass block as well as Gio, he may bump up to RB2. Gio is often used on 3rd down not just because of his pass catching ability but also blocking. I think Williams will be the better pure RB compared to Gio. If Gio is released, he would free up $3.75 mill in cap space that can be used for extensions or rolled over to next year.

RE: Which RB gets the 2nd moat snaps behind JM this yr? - Bengalitis - 05-16-2019

The one that won't fumble.

RE: Which RB gets the 2nd moat snaps behind JM this yr? - jj22 - 05-16-2019

Let's just hope this coaching staff knows how to use 2 rb's. Shame Marvin and Co could never figure out how to use two rb's like Saints and other teams. We have severely misused Gio over the years and now fans have given up on him.

He deserved better. We just never had the coaches who understood how to rotate back.

A wasted talent (while here with the Bengals).

Gio's a weapon (still) anywhere else.

RE: Which RB gets the 2nd moat snaps behind JM this yr? - BURROWorBUST - 05-16-2019

(05-16-2019, 02:53 PM)treee Wrote: Hopefully it's a true competition at camp and no spots are handed out purely based on salary. I have been saying for a while now that I think Gio has lost a step (or two) and am ready to see what else we can come up with.

Agreed. Gio's been great since we drafted him. But his legs aren't as young as Williams'. I think this will be his last year in stripes, but he'll get the 2nd most carries unless he get injured (again). 

RE: Which RB gets the 2nd moat snaps behind JM this yr? - NKURyan - 05-16-2019

I think Gio, but I also think whoever is #3 gets a decent amount of work.

I'm definitely looking for the coaches to have a better idea of how to utilize the RBs we have... we should be able to do a lot better than just alternating series, and as pointed out earlier in the thread there's no reason you can't but both Joe and Gio on the field at the same time.

RE: Which RB gets the 2nd moat snaps behind JM this yr? - THE PISTONS - 05-16-2019

Gio. Man I'd love to see one of these rookie backs push him for playing time. Not because I don't like Bernard, but because I'd love to see them be that good.

Gio is interesting. His 1st 3 years in the league he put up really nice numbers. Over the past 3 years, he hasn't rushed for over 458 yards in any season. Of course, he produces in the passing game too which is big for a back.

RE: Which RB gets the 2nd moat snaps behind JM this yr? - NKURyan - 05-16-2019

(05-16-2019, 07:05 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Gio is interesting. His 1st 3 years in the league he put up really nice numbers. Over the past 3 years, he hasn't rushed for over 458 yards in any season. Of course, he produces in the passing game too which is big for a back.

Part of that is just a lack of carries. He averaged about 4.3 ypc his first three years, 4.0 ypc the last 3. In the two games last year where he actually got 10 carries he averaged over 4.6 ypc.

I don't feel like the Bengals have done him many favors in the plays they call for him, either. Seems like he gets a lot of runs straight up the middle when you'd expect to see him sent to the outside more.

Gio will probably benefit more from improved blocking than Joe will, too, as he seemed to get caught in the backfield a lot over the last couple of seasons.

RE: Which RB gets the 2nd moat snaps behind JM this yr? - jason - 05-16-2019

(05-16-2019, 07:27 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Part of that is just a lack of carries. He averaged about 4.3 ypc his first three years, 4.0 ypc the last 3. In the two games last year where he actually got 10 carries he averaged over 4.6 ypc.

I don't feel like the Bengals have done him many favors in the plays they call for him, either. Seems like he gets a lot of runs straight up the middle when you'd expect to see him sent to the outside more.

Gio will probably benefit more from improved blocking than Joe will, too, as he seemed to get caught in the backfield a lot over the last couple of seasons.

Don't forget the go to play of hanging him out to dry on a bubble screen for a loss of two... And some bruised ribs.

RE: Which RB gets the 2nd moat snaps behind JM this yr? - jj22 - 05-16-2019

Don't forget, when everyone slammed the line the last 3 years, as to why the run game stunk, Gio was the only running back good enough to overcome them.

RE: Which RB gets the 2nd moat snaps behind JM this yr? - bengalfan74 - 05-16-2019

(05-16-2019, 04:33 PM)jj22 Wrote: Let's just hope this coaching staff knows how to use 2 rb's. Shame Marvin and Co could never figure out how to use two rb's like Saints and other teams. We have severely misused Gio over the years and now fans have given up on him.

He deserved better. We just never had the coaches who understood how to rotate back.

A wasted talent (while here with the Bengals).

Gio's a weapon (still) anywhere else.

Spot on in my opinion

Which is why I say Gio will get 2nd most use behind Mixon and I think we'll see more production from both.

RE: Which RB gets the 2nd moat snaps behind JM this yr? - corpjet - 05-16-2019

Bold prediction Gio gets traded for a 5th round pick during camp

RE: Which RB gets the 2nd moat snaps behind JM this yr? - Synric - 05-16-2019

If Rodney Anderson is healthy at training camp he could steal the show he has top 100 talent. You watch him its judt like seeing Joe Mixon. His vision and patience are excellent....

I still thought he came out last year glad I was wrong.

RE: Which RB gets the 2nd moat snaps behind JM this yr? - BengalChris - 05-17-2019

Rolling the dice is probably the best answer.

My guess is that Gio won't be the guy. It'll be one of the guys who's 220+ lbs.

RE: Which RB gets the 2nd moat snaps behind JM this yr? - Bilbo Saggins - 05-17-2019

Unless there's an injury, Gio for sure.  He's a complete back, he's a good back, and he's been around the block enough times to know what he's doing out there.  There were years where he probably should have been starting but for better or worse the idea was to keep him from breaking by limiting his snaps.  He's an underrated player imo.  

RE: Which RB gets the 2nd moat snaps behind JM this yr? - HarleyDog - 05-17-2019

(05-16-2019, 07:05 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Gio. Man I'd love to see one of these rookie backs push him for playing time. Not because I don't like Bernard, but because I'd love to see them be that good.

Gio is interesting. His 1st 3 years in the league he put up really nice numbers. Over the past 3 years, he hasn't rushed for over 458 yards in any season. Of course, he produces in the passing game too which is big for a back.

Gio didn’t seem quite the same after the Shazier hit in 15. It’s as if he was a little gun shy waiting for the next cheap shot to take him out. Although it seemed he was getting over that last year.

RE: Which RB gets the 2nd moat snaps behind JM this yr? - NATI BENGALS - 05-17-2019

Hopefully we let the rookies take on some of the blocking duties. I hate seeing poor little Gio take some of the blows he has blocking. He is in a contract year. Bucs need a RB and want to move on from Gerald Mccoy. If we cant do that trade.. Then I would give Gio every chance to have a career year. ZT seems to be aware of over using your stud RB.