Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
NFL Asking Teams to Stop Certain Drills (like the Oklahoma) - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: NFL Asking Teams to Stop Certain Drills (like the Oklahoma) (/Thread-NFL-Asking-Teams-to-Stop-Certain-Drills-like-the-Oklahoma)

Pages: 1 2

NFL Asking Teams to Stop Certain Drills (like the Oklahoma) - NKURyan - 05-22-2019

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26800703/nfl-asks-teams-stop-oklahoma-drill-others?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

Thoughts? Sensible change, or NFL overreach?

RE: NFL Asking Teams to Stop Certain Drills (like the Oklahoma) - PAjwPhilly - 05-22-2019

(05-22-2019, 10:27 PM)NKURyan Wrote: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26800703/nfl-asks-teams-stop-oklahoma-drill-others?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

Thoughts? Sensible change, or NFL overreach?

The drill makes news every year, nothing new. They allow so much worse during the season. I guess the NFL tries to look good when news is low before the season starts.

RE: NFL Asking Teams to Stop Certain Drills (like the Oklahoma) - pally - 05-22-2019

Sensible change. The risk of injury far outweighs the negligible benefits. Marvin did away with it several years ago and I can't imagine Zak ever wanting to reinstate it, so it has no impact for the Bengals

RE: NFL Asking Teams to Stop Certain Drills (like the Oklahoma) - Bengalitis - 05-23-2019

(05-22-2019, 10:45 PM)pally Wrote: Sensible change.  The risk of injury far outweighs the negligible benefits.  Marvin did away with it several years ago and I can't imagine Zak ever wanting to reinstate it,  so it has no impact for the Bengals

Play smart, not hard. Clapping

RE: NFL Asking Teams to Stop Certain Drills (like the Oklahoma) - XenoMorph - 05-23-2019

(05-22-2019, 10:45 PM)pally Wrote: Sensible change.  The risk of injury far outweighs the negligible benefits.  Marvin did away with it several years ago and I can't imagine Zak ever wanting to reinstate it,  so it has no impact for the Bengals

yes but at the same time they gotta practice hitting and tackling to do it well come regular season

RE: NFL Asking Teams to Stop Certain Drills (like the Oklahoma) - pally - 05-23-2019

(05-23-2019, 10:16 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: yes but at the same time they gotta practice hitting and tackling to do it well come regular season

then actually practice hitting and tackling in game-type situations, not in a cage match extravaganza.  If this drill was actually useful in evaluating players abilities, teaching skills, or game performance, it would be more than a one time camp deal and every team would have been using it.  Coaches stopped using it for a reason.

RE: NFL Asking Teams to Stop Certain Drills (like the Oklahoma) - Mike M (the other one) - 05-23-2019

I like what this guy had to say about it.

In 2015, New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick said the drill quickly answers these questions: "Who is a man? Who's tough? Who's going to hit somebody?"

Yes players are going to possibly get hurt, nature of the game. Finding out who hits and who doesn't is vital to the success of a team.

RE: NFL Asking Teams to Stop Certain Drills (like the Oklahoma) - XenoMorph - 05-23-2019

(05-23-2019, 11:16 AM)pally Wrote: then actually practice hitting and tackling in game-type situations, not in a cage match extravaganza.  If this drill was actually useful in evaluating players abilities, teaching skills, or game performance, it would be more than a one time camp deal and every team would have been using it.  Coaches stopped using it for a reason.

the drill is about shedding your block and making a tackle on the RB

something our LBers need to do every day after last year.

RE: NFL Asking Teams to Stop Certain Drills (like the Oklahoma) - BFritz21 - 05-23-2019

(05-23-2019, 10:16 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: yes but at the same time they gotta practice hitting and tackling to do it well come regular season

(05-23-2019, 11:16 AM)pally Wrote: then actually practice hitting and tackling in game-type situations, not in a cage match extravaganza.  If this drill was actually useful in evaluating players abilities, teaching skills, or game performance, it would be more than a one time camp deal and every team would have been using it.  Coaches stopped using it for a reason.

(05-23-2019, 12:37 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: the drill is about shedding your block and making a tackle on the RB  

something our LBers need to do every day after last year.

This drill is about none of those things.  

I hate it because it's just another example of the NFL becoming soft.

Yes, you do need to shed the block and tackle, but it's about intensity, wanting it more than the opponent, and about being fired up.

There was one of our players that ran the drill years ago and it was a small defender that knocked the blocker on his ass and didn't even make the tackle (I believe the back had to run outside of the pads though, so technically he did win), and everyone was saying "what's so great about that?  He didn't even tackle him," but, like I said, it's about intensity and it's just about hard-nosed football.

I understand the less contact, but even just limiting it to one time per player (which it normally is anyways) would be enough to keep it safe.

I hate this.

It gets the team fired up........  just watch this video:

[video=youtube][/video]

RE: NFL Asking Teams to Stop Certain Drills (like the Oklahoma) - Bengalitis - 05-23-2019

Rather than hitting & tackling, which they know how to do and do well for the most part, I want them to be running 5 miles daily and spending half the day conditioning. To be the most fit team in the NFL. I have a feeling that our team was probably one of the lowest fit teams in the NFL specially towards the end of Marvin's tenure. If you are not in great shape in the NFL, once you're tired = mistakes. Everytime we play the steelers, i get the feeling they are always better conditioned than we are.

RE: NFL Asking Teams to Stop Certain Drills (like the Oklahoma) - OSUfan - 05-23-2019

Bottom line they are making millions and millions of dollars and yet their practices have become an absolute joke. High school football teams are working far harder than NFL teams at this point. It is no wonder guys are getting hurt right and left. They are no longer used to the impacts their bodies take during the course of a season.

RE: NFL Asking Teams to Stop Certain Drills (like the Oklahoma) - Nately120 - 05-23-2019

I participated in this drill when I was in high school, ergo I am more of a man than today's NFL players. I can walk around with my head held high now...er, just don't tell anyone in the NFL that I said that, ok?

RE: NFL Asking Teams to Stop Certain Drills (like the Oklahoma) - bengaloo - 05-24-2019

I'm hoping the XFL works out at least enough to push the NFL into getting rid of some of the more garbage rules and get back to a tougher brand of football. It seems the violence of the game is what has largely been responsible for the NFL getting so huge in the first place. I know very few fans who like the way its heading.

RE: NFL Asking Teams to Stop Certain Drills (like the Oklahoma) - Jason_NC - 05-24-2019

(05-23-2019, 09:09 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Rather than hitting & tackling, which they know how to do and do well for the most part, I want them to be running 5 miles daily and spending half the day conditioning. To be the most fit team in the NFL. I have a feeling that our team was probably one of the lowest fit teams in the NFL specially towards the end of Marvin's tenure. If you are not in great shape in the NFL, once you're tired = mistakes. Everytime we play the steelers, i get the feeling they are always better conditioned than we are.

Were we watching the same team last season?

RE: NFL Asking Teams to Stop Certain Drills (like the Oklahoma) - Bilbo Saggins - 05-24-2019

I don't remember ever hearing about a player getting hurt during an Oklahoma drill.  Maybe they should look into how the Steelers still insist on headbutting people and using headlock tackles rather than clamp down on a random practice drill.

RE: NFL Asking Teams to Stop Certain Drills (like the Oklahoma) - pally - 05-24-2019

(05-24-2019, 07:34 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: I don't remember ever hearing about a player getting hurt during an Oklahoma drill.  Maybe they should look into how the Steelers still insist on headbutting people and using headlock tackles rather than clamp down on a random practice drill.

Retired Bengal, TE Ben Utecht received a career-ending major concussion during the 2009 Oklahoma Drill. He was shown laying unconscious on the field on Hard Knocks. He was a free agent signing and as a result of this injury never played a down for us or anyone else due to his severe injury. He still had never fully recovered. He, to this day, suffers from severe memory issues.

RE: NFL Asking Teams to Stop Certain Drills (like the Oklahoma) - Nately120 - 05-24-2019

(05-24-2019, 01:38 AM)bengaloo Wrote: I'm hoping the XFL works out at least enough to push the NFL into getting rid of some of the more garbage rules and get back to a tougher brand of football. It seems the violence of the game is what has largely been responsible for the NFL getting so huge in the first place. I know very few fans who like the way its heading.

Vince McMahon is known to be pretty lax about the long-term survival of his employees, so you may be onto something there.  I guess what it comes down to is if you're looking for the best players playing football with "garbage rules" or you'd rather watch Dontay Moch put Zach Mettenberger in the hospital.

Personally, I watch football because it is football. If I found violence to be so essential to my viewing pleasure I'd watch UFC or get a job working at an inner city public school, or something.

RE: NFL Asking Teams to Stop Certain Drills (like the Oklahoma) - THE PISTONS - 05-24-2019

(05-23-2019, 04:06 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: This drill is about none of those things.  

I hate it because it's just another example of the NFL becoming soft.

Yes, you do need to shed the block and tackle, but it's about intensity, wanting it more than the opponent, and about being fired up.

There was one of our players that ran the drill years ago and it was a small defender that knocked the blocker on his ass and didn't even make the tackle (I believe the back had to run outside of the pads though, so technically he did win), and everyone was saying "what's so great about that?  He didn't even tackle him," but, like I said, it's about intensity and it's just about hard-nosed football.

I understand the less contact, but even just limiting it to one time per player (which it normally is anyways) would be enough to keep it safe.  

I hate this.

It gets the team fired up........  just watch this video:

[video=youtube][/video]

That's a nice picture that captures the essence of our practice field being under a bridge.

RE: NFL Asking Teams to Stop Certain Drills (like the Oklahoma) - THE PISTONS - 05-24-2019

(05-24-2019, 10:25 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Vince McMahon is known to be pretty lax about the long-term survival of his employees, so you may be onto something there.  I guess what it comes down to is if you're looking for the best players playing football with "garbage rules" or you'd rather watch Dontay Moch put Zach Mettenberger in the hospital.

Personally, I watch football because it is football.  If I found violence to be so essential to my viewing pleasure I'd watch UFC or get a job working at an inner city public school, or something.

Dontay Moch was so fast that you couldn't even tell he was on the field.

RE: NFL Asking Teams to Stop Certain Drills (like the Oklahoma) - Nately120 - 05-24-2019

(05-24-2019, 12:18 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Dontay Moch was so fast that you couldn't even tell he was on the field.

The guy was migraine-inducingly fast.

On a side note, it's funny how we have a thread about how wise it is that Mixon and others are in braces and not overdoing it because that could wreck our season for nothing, while this thread complains that NFL teams are moving away from an overly risky drill.

Geez, make up your minds people.