Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Coach Anarumo - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Coach Anarumo (/Thread-Coach-Anarumo)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Coach Anarumo - bengaloo - 06-13-2019

Reading the article Hobson put out about the defense, I'm really loving what players are saying about coach Anarumo. This isnt just being PC for reporters, this is pretty good stuff.

Some highlights from the article https://www.bengals.com/news/revived-defense-a-must-see-in-mandatories

“You get to see him today. Just go out there and see him,” said Jackson, who senses Anarumo is lining up behind him every play. “I don’t know how to explain last year. It feels like new players in here.

“Everything is black-and-white. There’s no gray. With Lou, he’s on my case 100 percent of the time,” Jackson said. “He’s harder on me than anyone who’s ever coached me.”

“Basically, it’s all the same dudes,” said Boyd, a fourth-year wide receiver who admittedly is having problems finding the windows in the defense that were so open in practice last year. “But they’re teaching it so well over there, it seems like they’ve been playing together since before I even got here … They dominated (Tuesday) at the end of practice, so it’s great to see that. The defense is starting to win some days. We know we’ve got a high-powered offense, but it’s always good to see these guys bring the energy.”

“I think we’ve established some accountability in the room from top to bottom and that has shown on the field,” Bates said of the overall defense. “I feel really good about what we’ve done so far, but we have to keep building on it.

“The genuine energy he actually gives off. He wants you to be great,” Jackson said. “He’s behind me 95 percent of the time and he’s telling me what I’m doing badly and what I’m doing great. When you’ve got a coach like that, you can’t help but love him. I’m going to listen to everything he says this year and I’m pretty sure my game is going to escalate.”

“He definitely has a little spark to him. We love him. We’re having fun,” Jackson said of that New York state of mind. “It’s not faking it. Everyone is on the same page. We definitely look like a new (defense). He lets us know exactly what he wants done and he’s teaching the way he wants it done. If you can’t get it done, you’re of the field.”

We may have found a diamond in the rough with this dude. I dig his attitude in interviews and I'm glad we got him the more I learn. Lou has the makings of a helluv a coach.

RE: Coach Anarumo - GreenCornBengal - 06-13-2019

It's tough to judge coaches sometimes IMO.

Eli and OBJ sucked up a lot of cash, and he had lockeroom issues with Landon Collins, Eli Apple and others. Perhaps he wasn't dealt a great hand. We'll have to wait and see. I'm guessing this D will perform better under his tooteledge than the Giants did based on player talent alone.

RE: Coach Anarumo - OSUfan - 06-13-2019

I will be the first to admit that I knew very little about Coach Lou prior to the Bengals hiring him and I did not get real excited about the hire as it seemed it was almost a consolation hire. I can say most certainly with what I have read about him and from what players say about him my feelings have changed. It seems like he wants these guys to do what they have done since they were kids and that is go use their instincts and play football.

I especially liked what Grimes had to say about him and how he can make the defensive so simplistically effective for the player. Each play the offense can do two things and that is run or pass. If they run attack the ball carrier and tackle. If they pass do not let the receiver catch the ball. Black and white and go play fast. I really like what he is saying.

They stated that a change in defense similar to this is what had Jefferson rise back up the draft boards. His new DC at Texas simplified and had him play fast. I am excited with where this defense seems to be going.

For that matter the vision of the entire staff. Even starting not to totally dislike Turner.

RE: Coach Anarumo - jj22 - 06-13-2019

The talent is there for the D to lead this team again.

I'm liking what I'm hearing about Captain Lou.

It'd be nice to enjoy watching the D again.

RE: Coach Anarumo - JSR18 - 06-14-2019

(06-13-2019, 11:11 PM)jj22 Wrote: The talent is there for the D to lead this team again.

I'm liking what I'm hearing about Captain Lou.

It'd be nice to enjoy watching the D again.

Tiger Man you said it! Watching last year's defense literally made my stomach hurt... Sick

RE: Coach Anarumo - bengalfan74 - 06-14-2019

(06-14-2019, 01:36 AM)JSR18 Wrote: Tiger Man you said it! Watching last year's defense literally made my stomach hurt... Sick

Mine as well ! Every time the 4th down signal was given with us on O I was like oh $#@% the D is gonna be out soon so we'll get to watch the opposing team march down the field with no resistance. 

Sick Sick Sick

RE: Coach Anarumo - Au165 - 06-14-2019

Often times people underestimate how big of a deal scheme plays in productivity. For defense it's not as simple as man and zone, but rather there are calls that go along with plays based on offensive alignments and pre snap looks that change people's responsibilities. Often when you see a guy running free and two guys looking at each other confused it's not that they didn't know the play, they may have read the sight adjustment differently then another person causing a blown coverage. All we heard last year after Marvin took over was the defense under Austin was too confusing and convoluted It sounds like Anarmo has once stuck with the simplicity approach probably asking guys to read and think less.

We have a lot of talent on the defense, outside LB maybe, so I don't think the issue there was ever truly talent. I think the defense only needs to be middle fo the back for this team to have success.

RE: Coach Anarumo - Bengalitis - 06-14-2019

STOP IT! Don't get me all pumped up!!! 

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: Coach Anarumo - PV Bengal - 06-14-2019

(06-13-2019, 09:58 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: It's tough to judge coaches sometimes IMO.

Eli and OBJ sucked up a lot of cash, and he had lockeroom issues with Landon Collins, Eli Apple and others. Perhaps he wasn't dealt a great hand. We'll have to wait and see. I'm guessing this D will perform better under his tooteledge than the Giants did based on player talent alone.

I hope coach Lou isn't just farting around with the defense.

RE: Coach Anarumo - XenoMorph - 06-14-2019

(06-14-2019, 10:50 AM)PV Bengal Wrote: I hope coach Lou isn't just farting around with the defense.

they sound gassed up

RE: Coach Anarumo - Sled21 - 06-14-2019

Quote:He lets us know exactly what he wants done and he’s teaching the way he wants it done. If you can’t get it done, you’re of the field.” He lets us know exactly what he wants done and he’s teaching the way he wants it done. If you can’t get it done, you’re off the field.

This is the best statement I have read to date...………

RE: Coach Anarumo - sandwedge - 06-14-2019

(06-14-2019, 11:33 AM)Sled21 Wrote: This is the best statement I have read to date...………

I quietly gave that statement a golf clap myself!

(06-14-2019, 09:33 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Mine as well ! Every time the 4th down signal was given with us on O I was like oh $#@% the D is gonna be out soon so we'll get to watch the opposing team march down the field with no resistance. 

Sick Sick Sick

That 1st Pittsburgh game last season, who here didn't know that we were screwed on that last drive. I had that feeling, this isn't ending good for us....

RE: Coach Anarumo - fredtoast - 06-14-2019

(06-13-2019, 10:15 PM)OSUfan Wrote:  If they run attack the ball carrier and tackle. If they pass do not let the receiver catch the ball. Black and white and go play fast. I really like what he is saying.

Please tell me this I a joke.

RE: Coach Anarumo - XenoMorph - 06-14-2019

(06-14-2019, 11:47 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Please tell me this I a joke.

teaching to tackle the guy with the ball is no joke my friend

RE: Coach Anarumo - impactplaya - 06-14-2019

what was Marvin thinking when he hired Austin.geez

RE: Coach Anarumo - bengalfan74 - 06-14-2019

(06-14-2019, 09:46 AM)Au165 Wrote: Often times people underestimate how big of a deal scheme plays in productivity. For defense it's not as simple as man and zone, but rather there are calls that go along with plays based on offensive alignments and pre snap looks that change people's responsibilities. Often when you see a guy running free and two guys looking at each other confused it's not that they didn't know the play, they may have read the sight adjustment differently then another person causing a blown coverage. All we heard last year after Marvin took over was the defense under Austin was too confusing and convoluted It sounds like Anarmo has once stuck with the simplicity approach probably asking guys to read and think less.

We have a lot of talent on the defense, outside LB maybe, so I don't think the issue there was ever truly talent. I think the defense only needs to be middle fo the back for this team to have success.

Yep

How many times last season under Austin did you see the DB's and Lbers all staring at each other with the WTF look after a play ? I strongly feel that was one of the main problems with his D, just to complicated on assignments in coverage. To easy to misread what you were supposed to do. 

Hopefully Anarmo's D is more KISS method and the DB's can be more free to do what they do.

(06-14-2019, 11:55 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: teaching to tackle the guy with the ball is no joke my friend

Right, because guys who played college football do not realize that they need to tackle the guy with the ball.

Rolleyes

(06-14-2019, 12:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Right, because guys who played college football do not realize that they need to tackle the guy with the ball.

Rolleyes

Did you not watch our D last year?  Hilarious Especially the KC game, Kirkpatrick put on a clinic on how not to wrap up......just say'in

(06-14-2019, 12:54 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Did you not watch our D last year?  Hilarious Especially the KC game, Kirkpatrick put on a clinic on how not to wrap up......just say'in

I am all for teaching technique.

But when your basic scheme against the run game is "Tackle the guy with the ball" I think you are a few steps behind the average NFL DC.  The fact is that on a running play certain positions are supposed to control a space on the field instead of just running toward the ball carrier.