Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Squirrels - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Klotsch (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Klotsch)
+--- Thread: Squirrels (/Thread-Squirrels)

Pages: 1 2

Squirrels - HarleyDog - 07-05-2019

We have a lot and their always creating havoc in my wife’s plants and bird feeder. Just a few weeks ago I started my lawnmower and as I take off, I smell gas. So I look down and I have a huge puddle of gas spewing from the mower. Yep, one of those little guys chewed through my gas line trying to kill me. However, I didn’t think too much of it at the moment because I had to run to the local hardware store and purchase a new one.

Ok, so I’m sitting in my yard drinking a beer by the fire pit and all the sudden a squirrel comes into my yard and he’s low crawling towards me. I’m like, wtf? And yes, he gets pretty close to me and then props up and stares me in the eyes like this:

[Image: tenor.gif]

Holy crap? So I was like:

[Image: giphy.gif]

I will not be intimidated by a squirrel. So, even though he’s probably out front chewing my brake lines to get rid of me, this dog needs to figure out how to win this battle between man & rodent.

RE: Squirrels - Benton - 07-06-2019

Where the heck do you live? The Ozarks!? Those are ghetto squirrels.

RE: Squirrels - SunsetBengal - 07-06-2019

Buy a BB gun and adopt an indoor/outdoor cat.  We live under the trees in NC, our yard used to be riddled with squirrels and rabbits.  Not anymore...

RE: Squirrels - Goalpost - 07-06-2019

So, I think a few plastic, artificial, snakes, well placed, will scare them off.

RE: Squirrels - HarleyDog - 07-06-2019

(07-06-2019, 08:35 AM)Goalpost Wrote: So, I think a few plastic, artificial, snakes, well placed, will scare them off.

Would probably scare the crap out of me too when I get drunk and forget I put them there. LOL

RE: Squirrels - Beaker - 07-06-2019

Sounds like the squirrels near you got some pretty big cajones:

[Image: squirrel-nuts.jpg]

I would start getting worried if you see this:

[Image: dangerous_squirrel_02.jpg]

And the rubber snake thing won't work, snakes don't scare them:

[Image: w2vn0d5e9vj01.gif]

Your best bet is the BB gun....get them before they get you!

RE: Squirrels - fredtoast - 07-06-2019

(07-06-2019, 12:54 AM)Benton Wrote: Where the heck do you live? The Ozarks!? Those are ghetto squirrels.

I had a friend who lived in Denver and she enjoyed watching the squirrels playing outside her window each morning as she drank her coffee.  One day she had some peanuts and fed the squirrels a few.  This went on for a few days, but the first morning that she did not have any peanuts they started attacking her window and she was afraid they would tear through her screen.

I told her her she must be living in Skwirlz territory.

RE: Squirrels - HarleyDog - 07-06-2019

(07-06-2019, 06:03 PM)Beaker Wrote: Sounds like the squirrels near you got some pretty big cajones:

[Image: squirrel-nuts.jpg]

I would start getting worried if you see this:

[Image: dangerous_squirrel_02.jpg]

And the rubber snake thing won't work, snakes don't scare them:

[Image: w2vn0d5e9vj01.gif]

Your best bet is the BB gun....get them before they get you!

LOL 

RE: Squirrels - jfkbengals - 07-07-2019

(07-06-2019, 12:56 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Buy a BB gun and adopt an indoor/outdoor cat.  We live under the trees in NC, our yard used to be riddled with squirrels and rabbits.  Not anymore...

BB guns won’t kill squirrels. It will just leave it unable to pass through a metal detector. Need a high power pellet gun for that. I engaged in a 15 year war with squirrels that ended with no victor.

RE: Squirrels - SunsetBengal - 07-07-2019

(07-07-2019, 09:56 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: BB guns won’t kill squirrels.  It will just leave it unable to pass through a metal detector.  Need a high power pellet gun for that.  I engaged in a 15 year war with squirrels that ended with no victor.

Yes, you're right about BBs only phasing them.  I actually have one of those BB/Pellet pump style air rifles.  A pellet shot to the head, with 5 pumps seems to do the trick, but a tough shot to hit at anything over 50 feet.  I stand by the cat, however.  On more than one occasion, I've come home to find her proudly "presenting" her latest kill to me.

RE: Squirrels - fortyyearfan - 07-07-2019

(07-06-2019, 08:35 AM)Goalpost Wrote: So, I think a few plastic, artificial, snakes, well placed, will scare them off.

What really works well is a 12-gauge with a double load,I reload my own and starting this season to feed the birds,which I like to do,I had 12 in my yard,they were coming from everywhere as I live way out in the boonies,I am down to just two left so far.My dogs cannot catch them as they jump up in the trees when they see the dogs coming,but they cannot get away from the 12 gauge.My wife and I do not like to dispatch them,however,I got over 100 dollars in my feeders and I have many times got up in am to drink my coffee sitting on the deck and look at and two of my 5 feeders are on the ground all tore up,I go out get them take them to the garage and spend two hours trying to put them back together,which ticks me off as it would anyone.We have hundreds of squirrels here,mostly grays,and I have to slow them down.Feel me ??????? I take the ones I dispatch to the woods and the next day I go back and they are gone,the coyotes eat them as fast as I lay them down in the trails. :andy:

RE: Squirrels - fredtoast - 07-07-2019

"S" to the "I" to the "M" to the "P".

RE: Squirrels - HarleyDog - 07-07-2019

(07-07-2019, 12:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: "S" to the "I" to the "M" to the "P".

Clapping Clapping Clapping

RE: Squirrels - bfine32 - 07-08-2019

Humane: Go to Tractor Supply and buy some fox urine. And put it around the yard. Ammonia will work but not as well

Effective: Get some 5 gallon buckets, fill them half full of water, cover the top loosely with Saran Wrap, place peanuts on the Saran Wrap.

RE: Squirrels - jfkbengals - 07-08-2019

(07-08-2019, 04:31 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Humane: Go to Tractor Supply and buy some fox urine. And put it around the yard. Ammonia will work but not as well

Effective: Get some 5 gallon buckets, fill them half full of water, cover the top loosely with Saran Wrap, place peanuts on the Saran Wrap.

I tried both that and coyote urine.  Both worked, but only for a day or two before needing to do it again.  It ends up being rather costly in both time and money to re-apply it that often.  I did find some little bottles with a hanger, a hole in it, and a cotton ball that you could fill with the liquid urine and have it slowly dissipate the scent so you weren't re-applying as often.  But they too didn't last very long (maybe a week if I remember correctly).

RE: Squirrels - bfine32 - 07-08-2019

(07-08-2019, 08:46 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I tried both that and coyote urine.  Both worked, but only for a day or two before needing to do it again.  It ends up being rather costly in both time and money to re-apply it that often.  I did find some little bottles with a hanger, a hole in it, and a cotton ball that you could fill with the liquid urine and have it slowly dissipate the scent so you weren't re-applying as often.  But they too didn't last very long (maybe a week if I remember correctly).

I used it to keep squirrels out of the attic and put it on a rag. Of course I only got squirrels in my attic the 1 year in the last 15 I didn't have a Boxer, so buying one of those would help.  

RE: Squirrels - sandwedge - 07-09-2019

Gilly suit, case of beer, 22 with a shit load of ammo.....problem solved

RE: Squirrels - XenoMorph - 07-09-2019

they sell squirrel feed..... that usually keeps them out of the birdfeeder for a while.

RE: Squirrels - fredtoast - 07-09-2019

(07-09-2019, 10:55 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Gilly suit, case of beer, 22 with a shit load of ammo.....problem solved

I'll come by to help.  My ex-wife always said I was "squirrel bait".

RE: Squirrels - michaelsean - 07-10-2019

Well I don't know about whole yards, but my neighbor and I started a garden this year, and I looked up ways to keep them out. I went with those little condiment ups that restaurants use. You punch some holes around the top. Then you attach a bamboo skewer to the bottom. Crazy glue does not work. You have to use a glue gun which I don't have so I drilled a little hole in the bottom and pushed the pointed end through. It seals up fine. Then put some moth balls and cayenne peeper in the container, put the lid on and stake them around your garden. So far so good, but the tomatoes are still green, and I don't know when squirrels actually go for them.