Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
We need a monster yr from somebody under the radar. - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: We need a monster yr from somebody under the radar. (/Thread-We-need-a-monster-yr-from-somebody-under-the-radar)

Pages: 1 2

We need a monster yr from somebody under the radar. - impactplaya - 07-14-2019

just got to thinking. not to long ago this team always had a couple guys
come out of nowhere and really impact this team.
Burfict and Reggie Nelson come to mind.
remember before they started making plays
all over and being big time producers.!
even before that Deltha ONeal and Tab Perry
were big contributors.
no different this year. we need some big time game changers outside
of the standard guys we expect to play big.
maybe a Kerry Wynn or Alex Erickson takes their games to another level.
could be a Christian Westerman.

RE: We need a monster yr from somebody under the radar. - HarleyDog - 07-14-2019

I think we will see some good things come from our youth in training camp. Really looking forward to how the coaches develop them. Hoping for great out of the gate play from both Pratt and Davis. For some reason, I think Anderson will surprise. I really want to see great things out of Sample as well. Prove you were worth the 2nd pick. As far as Erickson, he has the ability to press the elevator button to any floor he wants if he does his job. He looked decent last year. When AJ went down, I think he had some good games when the ball was not being forced to Boyd.

Westerrman is a question-mark. But we have a lot of talent Marvin barely utilized. Hopefully these guys will be the difference. I'm ready for this team to put it together and do it year 1. No veteran should be a starter based on seniority. Every position needs to be fought for and the best player plays.

RE: We need a monster yr from somebody under the radar. - bfine32 - 07-14-2019

Nick Vigil

RE: We need a monster yr from somebody under the radar. - Nately120 - 07-14-2019

Come on Auden Tate!

RE: We need a monster yr from somebody under the radar. - Yojimbo - 07-14-2019

It would help the team the most if they came from the linebacker corp. Evans, Jefferson, Pratt?

RE: We need a monster yr from somebody under the radar. - ezekiel23 - 07-14-2019

Dolegala and Tate and Westerman,and any one of these young guys who would step up their game,I’m all for it.For some reason, I’m really excited to see how everything works out with this team this year.Maybe it’s the new coaching Staff,or maybe all the young talent,so that anyone with any football knowledge can just see what could be if all goes well.And yes,I agree with Tyler Boyd,if so,the skies the limit!!!

RE: We need a monster yr from somebody under the radar. - 3wt - 07-14-2019

More than one somebody for sure. Like Westerman, Hart, Vigil, Pratt, Davis, Sample, Dolegala, Ross, Wren, Billings, Miller and Price.

Not too much to ask is it?

RE: We need a monster yr from somebody under the radar. - impactplaya - 07-14-2019

im.leaning toward the defensive side. all it takes is one guy on defense to ignite the other 10 and it becomes contagious.
one guy that can help flip.the field make some splash plays
theres more proven playmakers on offense than defense

RE: We need a monster yr from somebody under the radar. - SunsetBengal - 07-14-2019

Who is going to emerge as stars this year? Jesse Bates on Defense, Drew Sample on offense.

RE: We need a monster yr from somebody under the radar. - grampahol - 07-14-2019

Tommy Casanova will come out of retirement and be our big surprise Safety at ..I dunno...80? ...and take over number 37 once again.. (My 7th grade jersey number..The year our coach pulled ALL the starters so everyone got to play..(The ultimate participation trophy coach)  Sad That last game was the single biggest disappointment in my jr high school life outside of Paige leaving for another school in 9th grade then I met her as a drunken barfly in a bar 35 years later at roughly 300 lbs heavier than in 9th grade.. THAT was a bitter pill to swallow..  Sick 35 years of my fantasy reunion shot all to hell.. At least she still had the same pretty eyes though even if they were surrounded by fat and wrinkles.. But I'm not bitter.. Oh wait..Yes I am.. I'll never get over it dammit! The worst part? She didn't even remember me nor the school we attended.. 

RE: We need a monster yr from somebody under the radar. - fredtoast - 07-14-2019

(07-14-2019, 05:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Nick Vigil

This.

RE: We need a monster yr from somebody under the radar. - Murdock2420 - 07-14-2019

(07-14-2019, 05:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Nick Vigil

Seems like it should be a make or break kind of year for Vigil. 

My hope is one of the under the radar monster years comes from someone on the O-line, cause they really need it.

RE: We need a monster yr from somebody under the radar. - fredtoast - 07-14-2019

Sam Hubbard played less than half (47%) of the defensive snaps last year, but he still led all rookie D-linemen in sacks and was 3rd in tackles. With MJ gone he will be getting a lot more snaps. Very few people talking about him, but I think he is set to have a breakout season.

After a long stretch of drafting dud d-linemen with high picks it seems that we may be back on track with Lawson and Hubbard.

RE: We need a monster yr from somebody under the radar. - Murdock2420 - 07-14-2019

(07-14-2019, 10:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Sam Hubbard played less than half (47%) of the defensive snaps last year, but he still led all rookie D-linemen in sacks and was 3rd in tackles.  With MJ gone he will be getting a lot more snaps.  Very few people talking about him, but I think he is set to have a breakout season.

After a long stretch of drafting dud d-linemen with high picks it seems that we may be back on track with Lawson and Hubbard.

More snaps might equal better numbers or the rotation kept him fresh and allowed him to go hard every snap and more snaps will hurt his numbers. 

If he and Lawson split them pretty evenly I would hope that they would both be fresh enough throughout the game to make an impact.

I watched Josh Malone all through college. He is an incredible size/speed combo. At 6'3", 208 he was the third fastest WR at the '17 combine (4.40). He has good hands and knows how to go up and make the tough catches. I thought he was a great value in the 4th round. And guys who remember when I hung out on the draft forum will confirm that I don't have a huge homer bias for UT players. I really think his numbers were limited by the simplistic passing schemes at Tennessee.

Unlike Hubbard, Malone has done nothing to indicate he is about to have a breakout year, but I still think he has the skills.

RE: We need a monster yr from somebody under the radar. - samhain - 07-14-2019

I'd like to see something from Malik Jeffereson. It's not encouraging that even in a year when our linebacking corps was awful and riddled with injury, he still couldn't get on the field.

A negative take would be that he sucks and is a sunk cost as a pick. A positive one would be that he got his redshirt year in and learned/matured enough to be useful on a NFL defense. A guy with his raw talent and head on straight would be just what the doctor ordered for this defense.

RE: We need a monster yr from somebody under the radar. - impactplaya - 07-14-2019

(07-14-2019, 10:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I watched Josh Malone all through college.  He is an incredible size/speed combo.  At 6'3", 208 he was the third fastest WR at the '17 combine (4.40).  He has good hands and knows how to go up and make the tough catches.  I thought he was a great value in the 4th round.  And guys who remember when I hung out on the draft forum will confirm that I don't have a huge homer bias for UT players.  I really think his numbers were limited by the simplistic passing schemes at Tennessee.

Unlike Hubbard, Malone has done nothing to indicate he is about to have a breakout year, but I still think he has the skills.

There was a time when UT was "WRU" 
Pickens McGee Gault Price Miller Hanock Harper.
but in the last 10 15 years I cant think of one Vol.WR that has played well at the NFL level. 
Kelley Washington had his moments 
Josh Malone is in a make or break year. 
he has the physical attributes. 
now its the desirs to excel thats in question

RE: We need a monster yr from somebody under the radar. - BengalChris - 07-15-2019

(07-14-2019, 04:29 PM)impactplaya Wrote: just got to thinking. not to long ago this team always had a couple guys
come out of nowhere and really impact this team.
Burfict and Reggie Nelson come to mind.
remember before they started making plays
all over and being big time producers.!
even before that Deltha ONeal and Tab Perry
were big contributors.
no different this year. we need some big time game changers outside
of the standard guys we expect to play big.
maybe a Kerry Wynn or Alex Erickson takes their games to another level.
could be a Christian Westerman.

I would say that Willie Jackson, Jessie Bates and Hubbard could be some guys who are capable.

On offense, I don't know. I'd love it if Ross were to become a factor, but I really don't see it. Maybe that rookie free agent QB we got will be super QB.

RE: We need a monster yr from somebody under the radar. - Sled21 - 07-15-2019

(07-14-2019, 10:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I watched Josh Malone all through college.  He is an incredible size/speed combo.  At 6'3", 208 he was the third fastest WR at the '17 combine (4.40).  He has good hands and knows how to go up and make the tough catches.  I thought he was a great value in the 4th round.  And guys who remember when I hung out on the draft forum will confirm that I don't have a huge homer bias for UT players.  I really think his numbers were limited by the simplistic passing schemes at Tennessee.

Malone has been an enigma to me... I just can't see why he can't put it all together with his tangibles and his pedigree. So far, the only notable thing he has done is be the wall that Ryan Shazier hit with his head.....

RE: We need a monster yr from somebody under the radar. - Synric - 07-15-2019

Its gonna be hard for Malone to break into the lineup over Green Boyd Ross and Erickson. 

Hubbard and Vigil are both good choices along with Ryan Glasgow, Preston Brown, Germaine Pratt and Jordan Evans.