Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Educate a dumb fan like me..why no intrest in Trent.? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Educate a dumb fan like me..why no intrest in Trent.? (/Thread-Educate-a-dumb-fan-like-me-why-no-intrest-in-Trent)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Educate a dumb fan like me..why no intrest in Trent.? - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 07-19-2019

(07-15-2019, 10:55 PM)samhain Wrote: I'm sure there are many reasons.  The first is probably that Washington may not want to get rid of him.  He's a good OT in a league that doesn't have many of them right now.  Plus they likely will have a rookie QB under center to protect.  If they don't have to get rid of him, why would they?

Yes, and while agree with the OP's sentiments you have to remember that Westerman has been a good LG in the past and Glenn has been a good LT in the past. I think we need to rely on the coaching and see what happens and with the change in coaching I think we finally have a shot. Not crazy about Turner but A&M's Line looked good last year and the Phins looked good until the scandal thing. Turner might not be as bad of a fall off from Pollak as I previously thought.

RE: Educate a dumb fan like me..why no intrest in Trent.? - THE PISTONS - 07-21-2019

(07-19-2019, 06:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, and while agree with the OP's sentiments you have to remember that Westerman has been a good LG in the past and Glenn has been a good LT in the past. I think we need to rely on the coaching and see what happens and with the change in coaching I think we finally have a shot. Not crazy about Turner but A&M's Line looked good last year and the Phins looked good until the scandal thing. Turner might not be as bad of a fall off from Pollak as I previously thought.

Glenn's issues are he's been hurt the last 3 years. I don't think it's coaching. He's a 6 foot 7, 340+ lb guy. I just don't think his frame can handle that thus he breaks his foot and hurts his back, etc.

Ideally he'd drop some weight.

Westerman? I would have started him last year. Not sure why they didn't.

If he plays well, then it's puzzling why he didn't start over bad starters last year.

RE: Educate a dumb fan like me..why no intrest in Trent.? - impactplaya - 07-21-2019

Cordy has issues with pass rushers more than one move.
in the run game hes a road grader.
in pass protect hes just a liabiility at times

RE: Educate a dumb fan like me..why no intrest in Trent.? - SunsetBengal - 07-21-2019

(07-21-2019, 11:43 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Cordy has issues with pass rushers more than one move.

Are you sure about all that?  According to every PFF rating posted on here about Cordy Glenn, Pass Pro. is his stronger suit, as he's rather mediocre at run blocking for a man of his stature.

RE: Educate a dumb fan like me..why no intrest in Trent.? - THE PISTONS - 07-21-2019

(07-21-2019, 11:43 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Cordy has issues with pass rushers more than one move.

Glenn is NOT a road grader in the run game. People assume he is because he's so big...but he's mainly a finesse guy at this point in his career.

Glenn did not grade particularly well at all from [i]Pro Football Focus[/i], however, particularly as a run-blocker. In pass protection, he was credited with surrendering 36 pressures, tied for 20th-most in the league, but he had the fourth-worst run-blocking grade of all tackles who played at least half of the team’s snaps last season. Not that they are gospel.

RE: Educate a dumb fan like me..why no intrest in Trent.? - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 07-21-2019

(07-21-2019, 12:37 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Glenn's issues are he's been hurt the last 3 years. I don't think it's coaching. He's a 6 foot 7, 340+ lb guy. I just don't think his frame can handle that thus he breaks his foot and hurts his back, etc.

Ideally he'd drop some weight.

Westerman? I would have started him last year. Not sure why they didn't.

If he plays well, then it's puzzling why he didn't start over bad starters last year.

Feel the same Pistons.

Glenn needs to lose weight and Westerman not getting a shot is puzzling, this might change with the new coaches atleast Westerman not getting a shot part might.

(07-21-2019, 11:46 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Are you sure about all that?  According to every PFF rating posted on here about Cordy Glenn, Pass Pro. is his stronger suit, as he's rather mediocre at run blocking for a man of his stature.

(07-21-2019, 02:59 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Glenn is NOT a road grader in the run game. People assume he is because he's so big...but he's mainly a finesse guy at this point in his career.

Glenn did not grade particularly well at all from [i]Pro Football Focus[/i], however, particularly as a run-blocker. In pass protection, he was credited with surrendering 36 pressures, tied for 20th-most in the league, but he had the fourth-worst run-blocking grade of all tackles who played at least half of the team’s snaps last season. Not that they are gospel.

Yeah, Glenn played like a softy in the run game last season.

With his frame, size and strength he should be pancaking dudes all the time. Dude needs to lose some weight and gain a nasty demeanor, not sure if the latter is possible.

RE: Educate a dumb fan like me..why no intrest in Trent.? - Essex Johnson - 07-23-2019

He allowed 2 sacks last year.. sorry he was not a liability as a pass blocker

RE: Educate a dumb fan like me..why no intrest in Trent.? - THE PISTONS - 07-23-2019

(07-23-2019, 01:41 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: He allowed 2 sacks last year.. sorry he was not a liability as a pass blocker

He allowed 36 pressures...tied for 20th most in the league. And that's with missing 3 games.

Not sure if liability is the right word for him, but he's not a Good OT. Maybe average to below average.

He hasn't been healthy for the last 3 years though. That's likely his major issue.

RE: Educate a dumb fan like me..why no intrest in Trent.? - Essex Johnson - 07-23-2019

(07-23-2019, 09:37 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He allowed 36 pressures...tied for 20th most in the league. And that's with missing 3 games.

Not sure if liability is the right word for him, but he's not a Good OT. Maybe average to below average.

He hasn't been healthy for the last 3 years though. That's likely his major issue.
He started 13 games last year, missing 3 is not terrible at tackle. 2 sacks is still 2 sacks,  overall run pass his stats and history say a good tackle .. Iinjury is the worry not ability to me.

RE: Educate a dumb fan like me..why no intrest in Trent.? - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 07-24-2019

(07-23-2019, 09:37 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He allowed 36 pressures...tied for 20th most in the league. And that's with missing 3 games.

Injuries have been Glenn's issue, this and run blocking.

(07-23-2019, 04:28 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: He started 13 games last year, missing 3 is not terrible at tackle. 2 sacks is still 2 sacks,  overall run pass his stats and history say a good tackle .. Iinjury is the worry not ability to me.

Yes, Glenn has been a good pass blocker in the past. Still stand by my previous thoughts of Glenn needing to lose some weight and gain a nasty demeanor in the run game to become a good overall LT.

RE: Educate a dumb fan like me..why no intrest in Trent.? - Shake n Blake - 07-25-2019

(07-15-2019, 11:35 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Over 30, hasn't played a full season since 2015, and would probably cost a 2nd Rd pick.

Not sure we're in a position to be picky, and I doubt he costs a 2nd, for multiple reasons. In fact, I'd bet on that. 

Btw, he missed no more than 6 games (13 total) over the last 3 seasons and made the Pro Bowl all 3 of those years.

People were happy about signing Andre Smith when his health and track record were both worse.

RE: Educate a dumb fan like me..why no intrest in Trent.? - J24 - 07-25-2019

(07-25-2019, 01:00 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not sure we're in a position to be picky, and I doubt he costs a 2nd, for multiple reasons. In fact, I'd bet on that. 

Btw, he missed no more than 6 games (13 total) over the last 3 seasons and made the Pro Bowl all 3 of those years.

People were happy about signing Andre Smith when his health and track record were both worse.
It's going to be a high pick and it's going to be an expensive contract. I am not saying they shouldn't but they won't and that's why.

RE: Educate a dumb fan like me..why no intrest in Trent.? - phil413 - 07-25-2019

(07-25-2019, 01:00 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not sure we're in a position to be picky, and I doubt he costs a 2nd, for multiple reasons. In fact, I'd bet on that. 

Also throw in that Cincy historically plays the comp pick game.  So maybe a pick comes into play but they also hopefully learned from Whit that you dont give up on a quality tackle at that age.

As someone posted, maybe you get a pick from a Gio trade. Gio and Boling off even Cincy's mysterious books makes Trent's deal work.  Something like a 3rd for Williams, Gio for a conditional 4th or 5th.  I got Cam Fleming as a cheaper option via trade.

RE: Educate a dumb fan like me..why no intrest in Trent.? - Shake n Blake - 07-26-2019

(07-25-2019, 01:32 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: It's going to be a high pick and it's going to be an expensive contract. I am not saying they shouldn't but they won't and that's why.

The expensive contract is one big reason why a trade won't involve a high pick. Another is his age. While he can still be effective, teams don't give up top picks for players over 30 on a big contract. Especially when they've been missing some games. Look what we gave up for Cordy Glenn.

(07-25-2019, 01:42 AM)phil413 Wrote: Also throw in that Cincy historically plays the comp pick game.  So maybe a pick comes into play but they also hopefully learned from Whit that you dont give up on a quality tackle at that age.

As someone posted, maybe you get a pick from a Gio trade. Gio and Boling off even Cincy's mysterious books makes Trent's deal work.  Something like a 3rd for Williams, Gio for a conditional 4th or 5th.  I got Cam Fleming as a cheaper option via trade.

All these years later and we're still looking for a quality FA RT.  

The pressure is really building up.  Mellow

RE: Educate a dumb fan like me..why no intrest in Trent.? - fredtoast - 07-26-2019

(07-25-2019, 01:00 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: People were happy about signing Andre Smith when his health and track record were both worse.

Half the fans were pissed off that we signed Dre, and the other half was just happy that we signed anyone.

RE: Educate a dumb fan like me..why no intrest in Trent.? - McC - 07-26-2019

I haven't really seen anyone express happiness over the signing.  More like just recognizing that somebody had to be signed.  And furthermore, most people describe him as no more than depth or even just a camp body.  I don't think anybody really wants to see him as a  starter.

RE: Educate a dumb fan like me..why no intrest in Trent.? - SunsetBengal - 07-26-2019

(07-23-2019, 04:28 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: He started 13 games last year, missing 3 is not terrible at tackle. 2 sacks is still 2 sacks,  overall run pass his stats and history say a good tackle .. Iinjury is the worry not ability to me.

I'm going to have to agree with Essex on this one.  For what Cordy Glenn cost, his numbers are acceptable.  Trent Williams is very likely to be injured at some point, and is wanting a raise from his already $14.5M salary..   So if the Bengals were to trade a pick and give Williams a new contract, I'd be highly pissed off.

They don't need Trent Williams, they just need a good backup, while Cordy Glenn holds the spot for Jonah Williams.

RE: Educate a dumb fan like me..why no intrest in Trent.? - Shake n Blake - 07-26-2019

(07-26-2019, 06:00 PM)McC Wrote: I haven't really seen anyone express happiness over the signing.  More like just recognizing that somebody had to be signed.  And furthermore, most people describe him as no more than depth or even just a camp body.  I don't think anybody really wants to see him as a  starter.

I'm talking about the last time we brought him back. At that time, people were viewing him as a starter because that's what Hobs was pushing him as. At guard.

RE: Educate a dumb fan like me..why no intrest in Trent.? - J24 - 07-27-2019

(07-26-2019, 05:13 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The expensive contract is one big reason why a trade won't involve a high pick. Another is his age. While he can still be effective, teams don't give up top picks for players over 30 on a big contract. Especially when they've been missing some games. Look what we gave up for Cordy Glenn.

All these years later and we're still looking for a quality FA RT.  

We dropped 8 spots in the first round for Glenn which according to Hobson was = to a second RD pick.

RE: Educate a dumb fan like me..why no intrest in Trent.? - hollodero - 07-27-2019

(07-26-2019, 05:13 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: All these years later and we're still looking for a quality FA RT.  

LOL for a quality fa rt you need to build up pressure.