Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
QB candidates for 2020 Draft - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: Draft Central (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Draft-Central)
+--- Thread: QB candidates for 2020 Draft (/Thread-QB-candidates-for-2020-Draft)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

RE: QB candidates for 2020 Draft - Whatever - 10-31-2019

(10-31-2019, 07:51 AM)Synric Wrote: I can name 4 recent superbowl winning QBs that dont fit your criteria in Tom Brady Dree Brees Peyton Manning and Nick Foles plus some really good ones In Matt Ryan Jimmy G Kirk Cousins. I can also name some with "elite physical attributes" who aren't very good.

But the point is you are misrepresenting The Draft Network by not listing the Pros to go with the Cons and mentioning that these guys are on the Joe Burrow train with more than 1 having him go number 1 overall in mock drafts. 

Not that I agree with Jpoore, but Manning had elite arm talent, so it's not fair to say he didn't have any elite physical traits.

However, Jpoore was pimping Haskins last year and Haskins threw a ton of floaters and underthrown balls. I haven't reviewed Burrow yet, but I haven't seen nearly as much of that from him this year as Haskins last year. 

RE: QB candidates for 2020 Draft - Synric - 10-31-2019

(10-31-2019, 03:02 PM)Whatever Wrote: Not that I agree with Jpoore, but Manning had elite arm talent, so it's not fair to say he didn't have any elite physical traits.

However, Jpoore was pimping Haskins last year and Haskins threw a ton of floaters and underthrown balls. I haven't reviewed Burrow yet, but I haven't seen nearly as much of that from him this year as Haskins last year. 

Maybe I just remember a few years back when a radio show was having guys Rodgers and Manning reading old scouting reports and Mannings was solid arm but not one you expect at the top of the draft. Another said he rainbowed alot of passes etc...The Rodgers ones were even better system quarterback and would have trouble escaping pressure in the NFL lol.

RE: QB candidates for 2020 Draft - Au165 - 11-01-2019

(10-31-2019, 03:29 PM)Synric Wrote: Maybe I just remember a few years back when a radio show was having guys Rodgers and Manning reading old scouting reports and Mannings was solid arm but not one you expect at the top of the draft. Another said he rainbowed alot of passes etc...The Rodgers ones were even better system quarterback and would have trouble escaping pressure in the NFL lol.

Correct, Manning did not have elite arm talent coming out. He was accurate and he had great mechanics. It was actually Ryan Leaf who had the elite arm in that draft.

RE: QB candidates for 2020 Draft - Goalpost - 11-01-2019

So at this point, I think Burrow is sitting at the top with Tua hurt. There are some good prospects this year. I hope they all show up at the combine to compete, although I realize some will just do pro days and individual workouts

RE: QB candidates for 2020 Draft - psychdoctor - 11-01-2019

Each QB candidate has strengths and weaknesses. When talking about the totality of each QB candidate talent set, Burrow is the most complete QB to come out in quite a while.

Herbert and Eason have the best pure passing skill set, Tua is a lefty that has probably the best skill set for "today" NFL QB because he can scramble but his ankles worry me. Hurts may not have the accuracy of Tua but has similar skill set to Tua and is quite a leader.

I would be happy with Young and Hurts in 2020. WTS, Burrow is my favorite QB and I do think the Bengals may grab him if he is there for them in round 1.

RE: QB candidates for 2020 Draft - Big Boss - 11-01-2019

I mean our current record doesn't necessarily inspire confidence in this coaching staff's ability to evaluate talent, but with Taylor and Callahan and Van Pelt (3 QB guys), I expect they'll do their due diligence on the top guys. For better or worse, I expect they'll get the guy they want.

RE: QB candidates for 2020 Draft - Hammerstripes - 11-01-2019

(10-27-2019, 03:25 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: If the Bengals do go with Young with first pick, and take the BAP at QB in round two, I could live with that.  It just depends.  They still need a lot of OL help.

I don't know on that one.  I think you are looking at 4 guys going in the top 10-15 (Tua/Burrow/Herbert/Eason).  I think the drop-off after those guys is huge.

RE: QB candidates for 2020 Draft - Synric - 11-02-2019

Jacob Eason and the Huskies vs Utah at 4pm today on Fox.

Utah is one the best defenses in college football this season.

RE: QB candidates for 2020 Draft - psychdoctor - 11-02-2019

Eason has looked horrible

RE: QB candidates for 2020 Draft - Synric - 11-02-2019

(11-02-2019, 07:31 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Eason has looked horrible

Excellent when clean but any kinda pressure he has panicked.

RE: QB candidates for 2020 Draft - psychdoctor - 11-02-2019

This is the worst Herbert performance of the year I think. USC looks tough.

RE: QB candidates for 2020 Draft - J24 - 11-03-2019

Jordan Love has had a rough season but might have the highest potential.

RE: QB candidates for 2020 Draft - TheBengalsMind - 11-03-2019

Firstly, I couldn't fault the Bengals for looking at Chase Young instead of QB in round one.

Jake Fromm skill set reminds me of Andy Dalton's, to the point that if we're gonna draft him we might as well just keep Andy Dalton.

Tua Tagovailoa has a bad injury history, the one or two games he's actually gotten something even remotely
resembling pressure he's struggled at times. It's very difficult to evaluate him, most of his throws have been to guy's with 6 yards of separation. Cold turkey though, that man throws one of the most beautiful spirals.

As of right now, Joe Burrow is the guy I would draft.
Depending of course on how, Ryan Finley plays. Joe Burrow is wired completely different than most quarterbacks.

He's a scrapper, a fighter. Joe Burrow has tended to get along with all his coaches, but reports are he will do it his own way.

An example being last season offensive coordinator Steve Ensminger told him he needs to slide.

A reporter asked him about it and he said "I'm not a slider. No, I'm not going to slide. I'm not a slider. I told Coach E and all my teammates, 'I'm not a slider.' They never really believed me, I don't think. I don't think quarterbacks should slide. It's not my DNA."

Even at the Manning Passing Academy this June, reports are he got an earful from Archie Manning and his son Peyton Manning about learning to not run and sliding.

"Yeah, Archie told me, and Peyton told me, too," Burrow said. "Eli didn't say anything. So maybe, I needed all three of them to change my mind."

Burrow is running a spread, passing offense installed by former Saints' assistant coach Joe Brady, it's a very NFL style of offense.

"First of all, he has a lot of poise. He doesn't ever get rattled. He's a seasoned vet," Orgeron said. "He's a coach's son. He knows the adjustments as well as any other coach. He could call the plays himself. He's good enough to do that."

With him running a Saints style offense, you would figure that the Saints would want him.

RE: QB candidates for 2020 Draft - bfine32 - 11-03-2019

(11-02-2019, 09:53 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: This is the worst Herbert performance of the year I think.  USC looks tough.

If completing over 80% of his passes at almost 9 yards per attempt and 3 TDs is his worst performance of the year then he's something special. 

RE: QB candidates for 2020 Draft - rfaulk34 - 11-03-2019

(10-31-2019, 05:30 AM)Jpoore Wrote: U know these things are very similar to andy daltons or trubisky pros and cons. Bottom line I don’t take a qb top
10 who dosent have elite attributes, not to mention got beat out by 2 different starting qbs.

Elite attributes aren't as important as situational success.

(11-01-2019, 09:41 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: Each QB candidate has strengths and weaknesses.   When talking about the totality of each QB candidate talent set, Burrow is the most complete QB to come out in quite a while.  

Herbert and Eason have the best pure passing skill set, Tua is a lefty that has probably the best skill set for "today" NFL QB because he can scramble but his ankles worry me.  Hurts may not have the accuracy of Tua but has similar skill set to Tua and is quite a leader.  

I would be happy with Young and Hurts in 2020.  WTS, Burrow is my favorite QB and I do think the Bengals may grab him if he is there for them in round 1.

I've been leaning that way lately, posted it a couple times a week or so ago. Though i wouldn't be upset with top 5 pick QB. 

There are a few ways to have a successful draft and i'm just waiting to see if the Bengals completely screw it up. A prospect i'm sadly expecting, at this point. 

(11-02-2019, 08:49 AM)Synric Wrote: Jacob Eason and the Huskies vs Utah at 4pm today on Fox.

Utah is one the best defenses in college football this season.

That may be why Eason didn't look very good. High volume of throws, low percentage and YPA, 2 picks. 

Though i will say, i just caught parts of it at different times, on my phone. What i did see wasn't promising and they were at home.

RE: QB candidates for 2020 Draft - Synric - 11-03-2019

(11-03-2019, 01:29 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That may be why Eason didn't look very good. High volume of throws, low percentage and YPA, 2 picks. 

Though i will say, i just caught parts of it at different times, on my phone. What i did see wasn't promising and they were at home.

He panicked alot under pressure and had clean pockets to step into most of the time. Instead he went backwards trying to spin and make guys miss.

I came away thinking 3rd Round and he should probably stay at Washington another year.

(11-03-2019, 07:28 PM)Synric Wrote: He panicked alot under pressure and had clean pockets to step into most of the time. Instead he went backwards trying to spin and make guys miss.

I came away thinking 3rd Round and he should probably stay at Washington another year.

That seems to be his "go to" move and when he did it for the 2nd time, late, my mouth just dropped open and i shook my head. 

RE: QB candidates for 2020 Draft - Au165 - 11-04-2019

Coming out of the weekend, I'd handicap them Burrow>Tua>Fromm>Herbert...the rest. People are going to hate Fromm here in Cincy because he reminds them of Andy Dalton but there are a ton of teams who would love a QB like that in the mid to late 1st. I am in the camp that would prefer to get a QB who can carry a team, and that isn't Fromm, but he is a guy who you will be able to win with in this league.

As to Herbert, the stats look better than the tape. He looks like the same guy who chose to go back to school last year and I will say what I said a month ago, whoever drafts Herbert will be drafting another QB within 4/5 years.