Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
QB candidates for 2020 Draft - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: Draft Central (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Draft-Central)
+--- Thread: QB candidates for 2020 Draft (/Thread-QB-candidates-for-2020-Draft)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

RE: Bengals need to draft Burrow - Goalpost - 11-10-2019

Learn to slide and get down. That's about the only knock on Burrow.

RE: Bengals need to draft Burrow - Fullrock - 11-10-2019

(11-10-2019, 09:13 AM)mikey6866 Wrote: To draft burrow over tua would be the most bengal thing ever.

Were you under a rock from 3:30-7:00 yesterday?

RE: Bengals need to draft Burrow - mikey6866 - 11-10-2019

(11-10-2019, 10:42 AM)Fullrock Wrote: Were you under a rock from 3:30-7:00 yesterday?

Lol this is exactly what im talking about.  You should be a bengals scout so we can get some more drew samples and germaine pratts.  If you ever base a draft profile on 1 game you have no clue what you are talking about.  Tua threw for over 400 4 td 1 int and had several perfect passes dropped and some idiots act like he was terrible.  He did this basically on 1 leg.  He came back in 20 days after ankle surgery.  Aj green is going on 15 weeks out on a similar injury.  Tua is a warrior.  

If you did watch the game as you infer you should have seen that the situation was much more favorable for burrow yesterday.  He made some really good throws but many of lsu big plays were by the rb or on easy throws to wide open wrs.   He had basically no prssure on him the entire first half while tua was being pressured on almost every drop back.  In the 2nd half burrow got more pressure and tua got more time and tua had the better 2nd half.

Burrow looks like a decent prospect but hes no tua.  Tua looks like a left handed pat mahomes.  Burrow looks like a better version of andy dalton.  I know which one I would want.

RE: Bengals need to draft Burrow - bengalfan74 - 11-10-2019

My line of thinking right now, if Burrow is there when we draft you run to the podium. If he's gone then you run and take Chase Young. If both are gone you take the best Olineman there is.

RE: Bengals need to draft Burrow - Bengalitis - 11-10-2019

burro vs tuna

RE: Bengals need to draft Burrow - Synric - 11-10-2019

(11-10-2019, 11:16 AM)mikey6866 Wrote: Lol this is exactly what im talking about.  You should be a bengals scout so we can get some more drew samples and germaine pratts.  If you ever base a draft profile on 1 game you have no clue what you are talking about.  Tua threw for over 400 4 td 1 int and had several perfect passes dropped and some idiots act like he was terrible.  He did this basically on 1 leg.  He came back in 20 days after ankle surgery.  Aj green is going on 15 weeks out on a similar injury.  Tua is a warrior.  

If you did watch the game as you infer you should have seen that the situation was much more favorable for burrow yesterday.  He made some really good throws but many of lsu big plays were by the rb or on easy throws to wide open wrs.   He had basically no prssure on him the entire first half while tua was being pressured on almost every drop back.  In the 2nd half burrow got more pressure and tua got more time and tua had the better 2nd half.

Burrow looks like a decent prospect but hes no tua.  Tua looks like a left handed pat mahomes.  Burrow looks like a better version of andy dalton.  I know which one I would want.

You say that and then use one game to tell why you would draft Tua over Burrow. 

Both QBs had great games yesterday although in different ways. Tua made some great throws off play action and from a clean pocket,  but Burrow handled the Alabama Pressure like it was nothing getting yards with his feet, escaping fiding his outlet receiver taking what he can get, and standing strong in the pocket pushing the ball to the second level while taking big hits.

Also...Alabama RB Najee Harris had as good if not better game than LSU RB Clyde Edward-Helaire.

RE: Bengals need to draft Burrow - Pat5775 - 11-10-2019

I can’t understand for the life of me why Tua is so highly touted throughout the media as a potentially great NFL QB. Are you kidding me?? The dude is yet another Nick Saban system quarterback who has no “wow factor” whatsoever. The media is hyping him up more than Tim Tebow and I really don’t understand why. Tua will be average at best in the NFL.

Burrow looks like a future superstar. Herbert might be as well. Fromm and Eason could be hidden gems... Tua though... I just don’t see it.

Don’t fall for the Tua hype, folks. Let’s hope the front office is smart enough to realize that Burrow should be the guy.

RE: Bengals need to draft Burrow - mikey6866 - 11-10-2019

(11-10-2019, 11:51 AM)Synric Wrote: You say that and then use one game to tell why you would draft Tua over Burrow. 

Both QBs had great games yesterday although in different ways. Tua made some great throws off play action and from a clean pocket,  but Burrow handled the Alabama Pressure like it was nothing getting yards with his feet, escaping fiding his outlet receiver taking what he can get, and standing strong in the pocket pushing the ball to the second level while taking big hits.

Also...Alabama RB Najee Harris had as good if not better game than LSU RB Clyde Edward-Helaire.

Huh? I didnt say yesterday is why we should draft tua.  I merely defended his performance from yesterday as it was not a bad performance.  Many are acting like yesterday showed why burrow was better prospect.  Watching the game I saw more elite traits in tua as I do almost every time he touches the field.  Ive watched every single snap of burrow and tua.  My opinions are based off what I have seen over the last 2 years not 1 game as you somehow are suggesting.

RE: QB candidates for 2020 Draft - Synric - 11-10-2019

(11-10-2019, 12:02 PM)mikey6866 Wrote: Huh? I didnt say yesterday is why we should draft tua.  I merely defended his performance from yesterday as it was not a bad performance.  Many are acting like yesterday showed why burrow was better prospect.  Watching the game I saw more elite traits in tua as I do almost every time he touches the field.  Ive watched every single snap of burrow and tua.  My opinions are based off what I have seen over the last 2 years not 1 game as you somehow are suggesting.

Then you know that Burrow is the best downfield passer in college football and yesterday he looked amazing under constant pressure from the Alabama Defense.

I couldnt tell you which is better but Tua isn't having the same season as Joe Burrow but he did have alot better season in 2018.

RE: QB candidates for 2020 Draft - Bilbo Saggins - 11-10-2019

(11-10-2019, 12:02 PM)mikey6866 Wrote: Huh? I didnt say yesterday is why we should draft tua.  I merely defended his performance from yesterday as it was not a bad performance.  Many are acting like yesterday showed why burrow was better prospect.  Watching the game I saw more elite traits in tua as I do almost every time he touches the field.  Ive watched every single snap of burrow and tua.  My opinions are based off what I have seen over the last 2 years not 1 game as you somehow are suggesting.

Tua's fumble on the first drive didn't look too elite.  He looked as though he let his nerves get the best of him.  Between the height difference, injury problems that may become chronic, and composure factor, I'd have to say that Burrow has pulled ahead as a prospect.  There's a lot to like about both of them for sure.

Tank for Burrow.... - Daddy-O - 11-10-2019

Going to the game today and can honestly say it's the first time I really don't want to bring home a winner!

Didn't know much about Joe Burrow prior to yesterday's game against Bama, thought he was just another pocket passer. This guy is the real deal, size, good arm, able to move in the pocket, able to scramble.

I'm sold. Hoping for 0-16!

RE: QB candidates for 2020 Draft - bfine32 - 11-10-2019

(11-10-2019, 11:19 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: My line of thinking right now, if Burrow is there when we draft you run to the podium. If he's gone then you run and take Chase Young. If both are gone you take the best Olineman there is.

Why would we have to run? We'll have the first pick.

RE: Tank for Burrow.... - kevin - 11-10-2019

(11-10-2019, 12:28 PM)Daddy-O Wrote: Going to the game today and can honestly say it's the first time I really don't want to bring home a winner!

Didn't know much about Joe Burrow prior to yesterday's game against Bama, thought he was just another pocket passer.  This guy is the real deal, size, good arm, able to move in the pocket, able to scramble.

I'm sold.  Hoping for 0-16!
If this team drafts QB #1 with all the needs on O Line and Defense, I give up on them.  They can go 0-16 every season with this WEAK finesse player team of no big studs to Block or Tackle.   I can see taking the Ohio State edge rusher or the Georgia blocking tackle #1, but not adding this QB not even rated for the #1 pick in the draft.  That's a REACH for a QB, when the Bengals could actually use the players ESPN & CBS have slated as best in the draft.   Best in the draft per most sites is the Ohio State edge rusher, and if he is that big a difference maker on Defense, get his butt in here, we need huge help on Defense. 

I don't even want a QB drafted in 2020. This team should draft all Blockers and Tacklers because Bengals are Weak, Weak, Weak. They can't put on the Big Boy pants and Man Up with any team. They are the Worst Team in NFL in the trenches, both sides of the ball, and that is why they are 1-15 over the last 16 games. Soon to be 1-16 after Ravens game. This Weak team needs picks in the Front 5 Blockers and The Front 7 Tacklers. Thinking any quarterback can come in here and just keep the same Weak players is just more being Weak. This team needs to get Tougher, as when Forrest Gregg said it when he came in.

I'm not rooting for Bengals to go 0-16, but 1-15 seems very possible, but not because of QB position, they just can't man up on either side of The Trenches. ESPN and CBS are saying the Ohio State edge rusher is #1, and why argue that, Bengals stink on Defense so grab him. Then get the Bama Linebacker and some Blockers in here.

I like your idea of thinking SEC, but go Tacklers and Blockers. The Ohio State edge rusher in 1 and the Bama linebacker in 2 is what Steelers would do if they were getting as weak on defense as Bengals are. Then in 3 and 4 go out and get some Blockers because these guys for Bengals Stink. So no Burroiw or Tua or any QB. Chase Young in 1 as per ESPN and CBS, and Dylan Moses the LB from Alabama in 2. Then go out and get some blockers like Landon Dickerson from Alabama. Just because they are Bengals doesn't mean they have to be pussycats in the trenches and draft more finesse players. Get some BIG BOYS to Tackle and Block because this is the weakest team in the NFL.

RE: Tank for Burrow.... - Bengalsrob - 11-10-2019

Little anxious to see our new QB, and if he is the miracle "Brady" pick we've been waiting for, but on the other hand, Burrow appears to be the real deal, A HEALTHY Tua is good as well. I doubt anyone can do much behind our O-line,however; we can load up with picks after the first one there and keep the OSU players, they never seem to work out here. This one already has problems which may or may not be minor. Draft that giant guy on Minnesota, he takes up the space for two people, and the would be better than what we have now (only slightly kidding here). All in all, we might as well shoot for the first pick, unless this kid comes out and shows he is a miracle worker, if not we will probably get it anyway.

RE: Tank for Burrow.... - Kingslayer - 11-10-2019

I wouldn't even waste a 2nd on Tua

RE: QB candidates for 2020 Draft - rfaulk34 - 11-10-2019

(11-10-2019, 11:16 AM)mikey6866 Wrote: Lol this is exactly what im talking about.  You should be a bengals scout so we can get some more drew samples and germaine pratts.  If you ever base a draft profile on 1 game you have no clue what you are talking about.  Tua threw for over 400 4 td 1 int and had several perfect passes dropped and some idiots act like he was terrible.  He did this basically on 1 leg.  He came back in 20 days after ankle surgery.  Aj green is going on 15 weeks out on a similar injury.  Tua is a warrior.  

They both have just the right amount of "negatives" to make you pause. I liked what i saw of Burrow's mobility yesterday but Tua is more athletic that way when completely healthy. I like Burrow's accuracy but it's mostly short to intermediate throws to WRs who do get open a lot (though he did fit some throws in tight windows yesterday--and he's done it throughout the year), but Tua is deadly accurate on intermediate to deep throws. Burrow is closer to the prototypical pocket passer but that's going by the wayside in recent years...

I like both guys but i just can't look at them and say i definitely want one over the other. This is turning into the perfect storm with these two and a couple other guys, where there's no clear cut leader of the pack. I know Burrow is tearing it up this year but the "one year wonder" tag does at least fit a little here and Tua has done it longer.

By perfect storm i mean, the Bengals are going to pick the guy that ends up being the lesser of all the options, while at least one of the other guys are going to be very successful in the NFL. It's just the way things work for the Bengals because the people doing the picking are bad at their jobs.

RE: QB candidates for 2020 Draft - Nicomo Cosca - 11-10-2019

(11-10-2019, 01:00 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: They both have just the right amount of "negatives" to make you pause. I liked what i saw of Burrow's mobility yesterday but Tua is more athletic that way when completely healthy. I like Burrow's accuracy but it's mostly short to intermediate throws to WRs who do get open a lot (though he did fit some throws in tight windows yesterday--and he's done it throughout the year), but Tua is deadly accurate on intermediate to deep throws. Burrow is closer to the prototypical pocket passer but that's going by the wayside in recent years...

I like both guys but i just can't look at them and say i definitely want one over the other. This is turning into the perfect storm with these two and a couple other guys, where there's no clear cut leader of the pack. I know Burrow is tearing it up this year but the "one year wonder" tag does at least fit a little here and Tua has done it longer.

By perfect storm i mean, the Bengals are going to pick the guy that ends up being the lesser of all the options, while at least one of the other guys are going to be very successful in the NFL. It's just the way things work for the Bengals because the people doing the picking are bad at their jobs.

You have to at least give them credit for our last 2 big QB picks though. Especially Dalton. We could have ended up with a REALLY bad QB from that draft class.

RE: QB candidates for 2020 Draft - mikey6866 - 11-10-2019

(11-10-2019, 12:07 PM)Synric Wrote: Then you know that Burrow is the best downfield passer in college football and yesterday he looked amazing under constant pressure from the Alabama Defense.

I couldnt tell you which is better but Tua isn't having the same season as Joe Burrow but he did have alot better season in 2018.

Tua is far and away the best downfield thrower in the draft.  Thats where he really stands out with his elite arm talent.  We can revive the thread in 3 years and see who was right and who was wrong.  All I will say is if we take burrow over tua it is a huge mistake.  Tua is going to be an elite nfl qb.

RE: QB candidates for 2020 Draft - Synric - 11-10-2019

(11-10-2019, 01:04 PM)mikey6866 Wrote: Tua is far and away the best downfield thrower in the draft.  Thats where he really stands out with his elite arm talent.  We can revive the thread in 3 years and see who was right and who was wrong.  All I will say is if we take burrow over tua it is a huge mistake.  Tua is going to be an elite nfl qb.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-pff-2020-nfl-mock-draft-lsu-quarterback-joe-burrow-goes-no-1-overall-to-cincinnati-bengals

Quote: CINCINNATI BENGALS QB JOE BURROW, LSU

Burrow has sustained elite play every game for half a season. He’s torched one of the best secondaries in college football. He’s got a stronger arm and quicker release that Alabama’s Tua Tagovailoa. We’ve never seen a quarterback with a higher passing grade through the first seven weeks of the season. He may not be at the top of boards right now, but he’s shooting his way up there.

This isnt the only top draft source to say this....Draft Network Locked on Draft and Draft Dudes podcasts say the same thing.

As to who's better downfield passing....

Quote:Adjusted Completion Percentage:
Burrow: 83.9% (2nd)
Tagovailoa: 79.6% (5th)

Deep Passing Passer Rating:
Burrow: 134.2 (4th)
Tagovailoa: 127.1 (10th)

Under Pressure Passer Rating:
Burrow: 151.6 (1st)
Tagovailoa: 100.8 (13th)

Kept Clean Passer Rating:
Tagovailoa: 154.4 (1st)
Burrow: 138.5 (5th)

Non-Play-Action Passer Rating:
Tagovailoa: 137.6 (1st)
Burrow: 136.0 (2nd)

Play-Action Passer Rating:
Tagovailoa: 153.0 (1st)
Burrow: 148.7 (3rd)

Quick Pass (<2.5 seconds) Passer Rating:
Tagovailoa: 151.6 (2nd)
Burrow: 132.5 (5th)

Long Pass (>2.6 seconds) Passer Rating:
Burrow: 143.0 (1st)
Tagovailoa: 134.3 (4th)

https://www.pff.com/news/college-matchups-to-decide-lsu-alabama-in-week-11s-marquee-matchup

[Image: Tua-vs-Joe.png]

RE: QB candidates for 2020 Draft - psychdoctor - 11-10-2019

(11-10-2019, 12:16 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Tua's fumble on the first drive didn't look too elite.  He looked as though he let his nerves get the best of him.  Between the height difference, injury problems that may become chronic, and composure factor, I'd have to say that Burrow has pulled ahead as a prospect.  There's a lot to like about both of them for sure.
In all fairness the quarterback from Alabama was not practicing or even taking snaps for about 3 weeks.  I'm a big Joe burrow fan but I must admit the Alabama quarterback has a surprising strong arm.  What bothered me about him is his prior injury and he's smaller and gets balls batted down.