Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
QB candidates for 2020 Draft - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: Draft Central (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Draft-Central)
+--- Thread: QB candidates for 2020 Draft (/Thread-QB-candidates-for-2020-Draft)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

RE: QB candidates for 2020 Draft - Au165 - 11-14-2019

The weird arm strength argument is kind of a straw-man. Both have NFL level arms, beyond that it really doesn't matter. Josh Allen has the strongest arm in the NFL and can't hit the broad side of a barn on his deep throws. Ball placement is more important than arm strength, arm strength just as a floor threshold you must be above and both guys exceed that.

To me Burrow has better ball placement on contested balls, he can make every big time NFL throw on the route tree, where as Tua is a throw back west coast QB in terms of getting the ball in front of his receiver to run after the catch. My concern is Tua plays his worst against the best teams on their schedule. We have seen it now for two years that when they need big games out of him he turns in his worst performances and that is a problem. Burrow on the other hand has risen to the occasion, however this big of a one year jump is really weird and while the new OC definitely made a difference it's still a bit concerning.

I think there won't be a consensus #1 QB come draft time. Some guys will have Tua 1st others will have Burrow, and I still think a couple teams who are enamored with size and physical traits will like Herbert.

RE: QB candidates for 2020 Draft - Bilbo Saggins - 11-14-2019

In heavy snow or rain arm strength really starts to matter. Hand size/strength matters too. You want a QB who can push the ball through wind and hang on to the thing when it's sloppy out in January. Taller QBs can use their height to their advantage if they want to put more mustard on a throw, using the length of their body for leverage. While Tua displays excellent ball placement, many of his deep throws have a lot of hang time. He'll throw a rainbow with a wider arc and has less zip throwing on a rope. Burrow has an advantage here imo and would be more likely to complete deep balls in inclement weather. 

RE: QB candidates for 2020 Draft - Synric - 11-14-2019

Joe Burrow has been excellent all year under pressure that sets I'm apart from most College QBs coming out this year and previous years.

Dude is ice cold in the pocket.

RE: QB candidates for 2020 Draft - psychdoctor - 11-14-2019

If the Bengals are scouting CK, then there is a good chance they will select Burrow as number 1 pick. Seems Taylor is set to find his QB.

RE: QB candidates for 2020 Draft - Whatever - 11-14-2019

(11-14-2019, 02:20 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: If the Bengals are scouting CK, then there is a good chance they will select Burrow as number 1 pick.  Seems Taylor is set to find his QB.

I wouldn't put to much into that.   Everybody will send someone, but nobody will sign him. Even if he looks decent, he was demanding $20 mil to play in the XFL earlier this year.  Nobody is paying him that 

RE: QB candidates for 2020 Draft - Synric - 11-16-2019

Ugh Alabama vs Mississippi State...I don't believe Tua threw one contested pass his receivers were 5 yard open on every throw.

3 plays later a couple defenders landed on his legs and that ankle.

Edit: They are saying it's a hip.

RE: QB candidates for 2020 Draft - Goalpost - 11-16-2019

Yea. It's a new injury to Tua. His hip, and it looked painful. Could be a serious one.

RE: QB candidates for 2020 Draft - bfine32 - 11-16-2019

Tua, definitely gets his share of injuries. Early guess: Broken pelvis

RE: QB candidates for 2020 Draft - Big Boss - 11-16-2019

We are 100% taking him now.

RE: QB candidates for 2020 Draft - psychdoctor - 11-16-2019

Tua could drop significantly in the upcoming draft. Too many injuries. My guess would be late first round early second. Burrow is the Man. Lets hope Bengals don't blow this one.

RE: QB candidates for 2020 Draft - Whatever - 11-16-2019

(11-16-2019, 05:11 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Tua could drop significantly in the upcoming draft.  Too many injuries.   My guess would be late first round early second.  Burrow is the Man.  Lets hope Bengals don't blow this one.

It could be really good or bad for the Bengals depending on our final draft position.  There will be a much bigger trade market for Burrow with Tua presumably falling.  It's a lot more likely that a team makes a ridiculous offer for #1.  You could also go Chase Young and move back into the 1st for Tua.  However, the top of the draft board went from 2 franchise QB's and a generational DE talent to only one franchise QB and Young.  It you wind up with the #3 pick, you're in for some tough choices.  I haven't really broken down QB's this year, but Herbert feels like an 11-20 type guy that won't start immediately.

RE: QB candidates for 2020 Draft - Au165 - 11-16-2019

The word it is a hip fracture, same injury that ended Bo Jackson’s career. At this point he will be off a lot of boards and most likely will require someone taking a flyer on him in a mid round knowing he probably isn’t playing next year.

RE: QB candidates for 2020 Draft - J24 - 11-16-2019

(11-16-2019, 06:26 PM)Au165 Wrote: The word it is a hip fracture, same injury that ended Bo Jackson’s career. At this point he will be off a lot of boards and most likely will require someone taking a flyer on him in a mid round knowing he probably isn’t playing next year.

It depends if teams feel like he can make a full recovery or not. If so then his draft position won't change that much. I'm not a doctor so I'm not sure if he can or can't.

RE: QB candidates for 2020 Draft - Au165 - 11-16-2019

(11-16-2019, 06:37 PM)J24 Wrote: It depends if teams feel like he can make a full recovery or not. If so then his draft position won't change that much. I'm not a doctor so I'm not sure if he can or can't.

Now that I think about it I’d bet he returns to Alabama.

RE: QB candidates for 2020 Draft - PikesPeakUC - 11-16-2019

Getting the first pick just became a heck of a lot more important if we want a QB.

RE: QB candidates for 2020 Draft - Fan_in_Kettering - 11-16-2019

Tua Tagovailoa just became a lot more attractive to Mike Brown. His hip is trashed; this means the Bengals could probably get him for $7 million less while he rehabs and sits a year behind Ryan Finley.

RE: QB candidates for 2020 Draft - Whatever - 11-16-2019

(11-16-2019, 06:38 PM)Au165 Wrote: Now that I think about it I’d bet he returns to Alabama.

It's going to be a tough call for him.  If he won't make it back for the start of the college season, he could potentially lose his starting job and fall even further.  He could also get hurt again without getting paid.

It's really tough to say where he goes, but I would guess he won't fall out of the 2nd.  It's a risk for any team, but potentially a massive reward.  Feel bad for the kid, though.  Hope things work out for him wherever he lands.

(11-16-2019, 06:38 PM)Au165 Wrote: Now that I think about it I’d bet he returns to Alabama.

I think that's the best thing for him to do and these freak accidents seem to be ongoing though.  It is a shame because he has so much talent and I like how the ball jumps off this hands.

(11-16-2019, 06:14 PM)Whatever Wrote: It could be really good or bad for the Bengals depending on our final draft position.  There will be a much bigger trade market for Burrow with Tua presumably falling.  It's a lot more likely that a team makes a ridiculous offer for #1.  You could also go Chase Young and move back into the 1st for Tua.  However, the top of the draft board went from 2 franchise QB's and a generational DE talent to only one franchise QB and Young.  It you wind up with the #3 pick, you're in for some tough choices.  I haven't really broken down QB's this year, but Herbert feels like an 11-20 type guy that won't start immediately.
If someone offers the farm for Joe Burrow then I would at least consider it.  I don't think Herbert is in the same level as Burrow but he has natural arm strength and he seems to have ice in his veins.  I would love for them to somehow get chase young Thomas and maybe Jacob Eason

RE: QB candidates for 2020 Draft - cinci4life - 11-16-2019

Tua is done for the season.

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-state/Article/Tua-Tagovailoa-out-for-season-injury-update-Alabama-Crimson-Tide-college-football-playoff-chances-Nick-Saban-Mac-Jones-138695536/?fbclid=IwAR1QpuvXHSRl_AiEcCen0wBg7kGwtmZ49EnenBK57V9tsqJrJ4PIuBwELL8