Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates (/Thread-Training-Camp-News-Notes-Updates)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - NKURyan - 07-31-2019

(07-31-2019, 08:03 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: They said that the offense missed two FG during today's practice.  Was it Randy?  Don't want to worry about FG again this year.  

Honestly from where I was sitting it was pretty hard to gauge whether the FGs were good or not (the kicks were so much higher than the goal posts were), so I can't really answer. Bullock easily nailed a 53 yarder during practice today, though, and that was nice to see.

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - Nately120 - 07-31-2019

(07-31-2019, 07:59 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Random casual observations from training camp:
-They ran a lot of play action.
-They also seem like they love sending a WR across the backfield to fake the reverse/end around.
-Sam Hubbard playing with the 1s on defense, not Carl Lawson.
-Definitely went with 2 LBs a lot (Vigil and Brown with the 1s).
-Offense struggled today. Finley really seems to be having a hard time out there.
-Jake Dolegala doesn't seem to be getting much of a real look for those of you who jumped on his bandwagon.
-Josh Malone on kick returns... not sure we've seen that before?
-Traveon Williams looked good, I though.

Oh man, if we keep Driskel over those guys people will be throwing a fit.  Or they would if Marvin did it, I assume.

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - psychdoctor - 07-31-2019

I don't understand why Finley is having such a tough time. It worries me some.

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - NKURyan - 07-31-2019

(07-31-2019, 10:30 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I don't understand why Finley is having such a tough time.  It worries me some.

Yeah. At the end of the day, though, he only cost them a 4th round pick if it doesn't work out.

I think some of us on here had higher expectations of him when some places had him rated as a low 1st round/high 2nd round prospect.

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - psychdoctor - 07-31-2019

(07-31-2019, 08:05 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Honestly from where I was sitting it was pretty hard to gauge whether the FGs were good or not (the kicks were so much higher than the goal posts were), so I can't really answer. Bullock easily nailed a 53 yarder during practice today, though, and that was nice to see.

It was some dude I have never heard of that missed the FG, Tristan Vizcaino...

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - whodey365 - 07-31-2019

(07-31-2019, 06:12 PM)jason Wrote: Success be damned... Hard Luck Woman and Black Diamond are better songs than Beth.

Beth is an automatic skip every time.

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - McC - 07-31-2019

(07-31-2019, 10:30 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I don't understand why Finley is having such a tough time.  It worries me some.

Still waiting to hear one good thing about him.  

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - Nately120 - 07-31-2019

(07-31-2019, 10:37 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Yeah. At the end of the day, though, he only cost them a 4th round pick if it doesn't work out.

I think some of us on here had higher expectations of him when some places had him rated as a low 1st round/high 2nd round prospect.

It's not the end of the world, but trading up to get the one QB we brought in and having him stink his way out of training camp would be a knock against ZT's GM resume.  I assume if he can hit the broad side of a barn we keep him, though.  Driskell did his best but he's another coach's backup.  Driskel actually starting dispelled any delusions we had that he could be great if only he got a chance.  

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - NKURyan - 08-01-2019

(07-31-2019, 11:40 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Driskel actually starting dispelled any delusions we had that he could be great if only he got a chance.  

True, though I am slightly curious to see if they don't try lining him up elsewhere on the field. They briefly experimented with it in one game last year (I think against New Orleans?), and while that was a different coaching staff I wonder if they won't at least give it a shot at some point. That would bolster his value a bit.

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - XenoMorph - 08-01-2019

(08-01-2019, 12:45 AM)NKURyan Wrote: True, though I am slightly curious to see if they don't try lining him up elsewhere on the field. They briefly experimented with it in one game last year (I think against New Orleans?), and while that was a different coaching staff I wonder if they won't at least give it a shot at some point. That would bolster his value a bit.

Where did Dan Lefevor go...……   Matt Scott  lol

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - Au165 - 08-01-2019

(07-31-2019, 06:03 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Personally, I think that it would be foolish to allow Jonah Williams to play any this season.  Why do I say that?  I had my shoulder rebuilt, just 3 years ago.  I made PT, and rehab sessions my life, until I was cleared first to go back to work, and second, to be able to weight train again.  It was at 12 weeks post surgery that PT said "we can do no more for you", and the surgeon cleared me to train using "common sense".  It took about another 5-6 months to fully regain strength in the shoulder (as far as moving weights), absorbing shock took much longer.  At about the 1 year post surgery mark, I was dragging a cart loaded with weights and equipment, and went to stiff arm a door, so as to not have to stop the cart's momentum.  The side I chose was locked, and the jolt that went through my shoulder about made me want to wilt.

I realize that Jonah and I are completely different situations and scenarios.  I also realize it's different for a young athlete in prime physical condition to recover much faster than an old athlete like myself.  But, what I am worried of is him being allowed to rush back, and possibly hinder his complete healing and rehabilitation.

I tore my pec and labrum in college wrestling. I went to the doctor and they said I could get surgery or I could rehab, but because it was my senior year and I didn't want to redshirt I ended up rehabbing instead of surgery. It took me 8 weeks to come back, but I was able to finish out the season. The biggest issue was trusting that the injury was going to hold up.

I think the fact he is 21 and has world class doctors and training staffs working on him bode well for his ability to come back quickly. 6 Months is considered a normalish recovery which would put him in December, so a late season return really isn't crazy.

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - Luvnit2 - 08-01-2019

Really?

He is a rookie 4th round draft pick. Maybe some fail to realize AD walking in day 1 and being a good NFL QB as a rookie with no training camp was not easy, he made it look easy.
As for Finley, let's give him some time (at least a year) to grasp being an NFL QB.

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - kevin - 08-01-2019

The interview with Coach Taylor says the first practice in pads, the Defense beat the Offense 18 to 3. He liked the communication going on between the linebackers. Sounds like O Line wore down and a lot of mistakes as they got tired. Much work ahead for this O Line. Lets hope they can be coached up.

We will see against Chiefs. The D may look good BECAUSE they are going up against Bengy O Line.

Good thing there are preseason games because the players union allows so little hard contact in pads in training camp, these guys would never get in football shape without preseason. There is a difference between being in shape, and putting on the pads taking and making hits getting into football shape. If not for preseason games, these guys would never be ready for regular season. In the old days, training camp was more hard knocks before players union watered it down. I'm not sure players union is doing them any favors not letting them get in the shape needed to avoid injuries. Anyway, good thing for preseason. I will no longer say it's too bad they have to play these. They would get killed start of regular season without them, since so few practices in full pads. The Chiefs will give our Bengals a work out as both teams have to pad up and lay on the hits.

I can see not letting starting QB be in first one long, because no way the O Line is ready yet in first one. You people wanting to see the back-up QBs will see plenty of them against Chiefs, maybe running for their lives with no blocking, but you will see them. This O Line needs good hard preseason game blocking in pads all 4 games to get ready for season. I would hope the first game the new coaches focus in run blocking plays the most. This team needs to learn how to run block, or it can not win. The Bengals are weak. They need to get tough and be a threat to run on 3rd and 3. If they can't run, defenses will tee off on the pass, pass, pass stuff. This team has the same problem as when Forrest Gregg took over and said, " The Bengals Are Weak. That's why they don't win. I need to make them all tougher. You can't ask the Steelers to play softer. We have to get tougher. The team in the best condition wins the 4th quarter. " . Sadly the players union would not let Forrest Gregg toughen these guys up today, and why they are in dire need of good hard preseason contact.

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - Luvnit2 - 08-01-2019

(08-01-2019, 12:45 AM)NKURyan Wrote: True, though I am slightly curious to see if they don't try lining him up elsewhere on the field. They briefly experimented with it in one game last year (I think against New Orleans?), and while that was a different coaching staff I wonder if they won't at least give it a shot at some point. That would bolster his value a bit.

That may change our past rosters of just 2 QB's, then we go with 3 (Findley) and decide game day if all are active. The risk of injury goes up for if he plays other positions (which I like the idea).

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - PhilHos - 08-01-2019

(08-01-2019, 11:09 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Maybe some fail to realize AD walking in day 1 and being a good NFL QB as a rookie with no training camp was not easy, he made it look easy.

Even more impressive when you realize that Dalton sucks as a QB.  Ninja

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - thompson19osu - 08-01-2019

(08-01-2019, 11:48 AM)kevin Wrote: The interview with Coach Taylor says the first practice in pads, the Defense beat the Offense 18 to 3. He liked the communication going on between the linebackers. Sounds like O Line wore down and a lot of mistakes as they got tired. Much work ahead for this O Line. Lets hope they can be coached up.

We will see against Chiefs. The D may look good BECAUSE they are going up against Bengy O Line.

Good thing there are preseason games because the players union allows so little hard contact in pads in training camp, these guys would never get in football shape without preseason. There is a difference between being in shape, and putting on the pads taking and making hits getting into football shape. If not for preseason games, these guys would never be ready for regular season. In the old days, training camp was more hard knocks before players union watered it down. I'm not sure players union is doing them any favors not letting them get in the shape needed to avoid injuries. Anyway, good thing for preseason. I will no longer say it's too bad they have to play these. They would get killed start of regular season without them, since so few practices in full pads. The Chiefs will give our Bengals a work out as both teams have to pad up and lay on the hits.

I can see not letting starting QB be in first one long, because no way the O Line is ready yet in first one. You people wanting to see the back-up QBs will see plenty of them against Chiefs, maybe running for their lives with no blocking, but you will see them. This O Line needs good hard preseason game blocking in pads all 4 games to get ready for season. I would hope the first game the new coaches focus in run blocking plays the most. This team needs to learn how to run block, or it can not win. The Bengals are weak. They need to get tough and be a threat to run on 3rd and 3. If they can't run, defenses will tee off on the pass, pass, pass stuff. This team has the same problem as when Forrest Gregg took over and said, " The Bengals Are Weak. That's why they don't win. I need to make them all tougher. You can't ask the Steelers to play softer. We have to get tougher. The team in the best condition wins the 4th quarter. " . Sadly the players union would not let Forrest Gregg toughen these guys up today, and why they are in dire need of good hard preseason contact.

Taylor now probably wondering what he got himself into with this o-line. This is NOT good news for day 1.

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - NKURyan - 08-01-2019

(08-01-2019, 12:54 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: Taylor now probably wondering what he got himself into with this o-line. This is NOT good news for day 1.

Yeah, I don't read much into this. I'd expect the D-line (especially one as talented as ours) to be well ahead of the O-line (especially one breaking in new guards like ours is) at this point in time.

FWIW, I thought the o-line looked ok in pass protection yeterday, though that is admittedly hard to gauge when it's not full contact.

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - XenoMorph - 08-01-2019

(08-01-2019, 12:54 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: Taylor now probably wondering what he got himself into with this o-line. This is NOT good news for day 1.

its first padded practice don't over react now...

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - grampahol - 08-01-2019

(08-01-2019, 01:35 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: its first padded practice don't over react now...

Sure.. as if that has never happened on this board nor any other board. Overreaction is the hallmark of all football forums and without overreaction where would we be? A bunch of calm, cool and normal fans who think like reasonable people?  What kind of non-lunacy do you expect?  Smirk

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - jason - 08-01-2019

(07-31-2019, 10:56 PM)McC Wrote: Still waiting to hear one good thing about him.  

One good thing about Finley is that Andy Dalton is healthy... For now.