Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates (/Thread-Training-Camp-News-Notes-Updates)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - McC - 08-01-2019

(08-01-2019, 01:46 PM)jason Wrote: One good thing about Finley is that Andy Dalton is healthy... For now.

I guess that's something.  I was hoping to hear about a well thrown pass or a good read or hell, he looked sharp in his uniform.  Something.  Anything.

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - I_C_DeadPeople - 08-01-2019

From the Athletic:

A maligned offensive line endured more than a few struggles trying to contain the likes of Carl Lawson and Sam Hubbard, who both made multiple appearances in the quarterback’s lap.

Safety Jessie Bates picked off an Andy Dalton pass that floundered into the corner as the pressure came off the edge against him from Hubbard beating Bobby Hart on the edge.

Any wondering about how Lawson would look coming back from the ACL injury was quickly put to rest as he beat up on the Bengals tackles, including what would have been a sack against starting left tackle Cordy Glenn.

Lawson was adamant he would have had two more if they were counting. He’s not wrong.

I might have gone the entire training camp last year and not written one positive thing about Malik Jefferson.

He was a no-show as a rookie – partly because of the nature of the position and partly because he was clearly overwhelmed.

Yet, on the first day in pads, there was Jefferson breaking up a pass. He wasn’t alone, another member of the third-round linebacker club, rookie Germaine Pratt, also went airborne to tip a pass that ended up falling incomplete.

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - THE PISTONS - 08-01-2019

(08-01-2019, 01:49 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: From the Athletic:

A maligned offensive line endured more than a few struggles trying to contain the likes of Carl Lawson and Sam Hubbard, who both made multiple appearances in the quarterback’s lap.

Safety Jessie Bates picked off an Andy Dalton pass that floundered into the corner as the pressure came off the edge against him from Hubbard beating Bobby Hart on the edge.

Any wondering about how Lawson would look coming back from the ACL injury was quickly put to rest as he beat up on the Bengals tackles, including what would have been a sack against starting left tackle Cordy Glenn.

Lawson was adamant he would have had two more if they were counting. He’s not wrong.

I might have gone the entire training camp last year and not written one positive thing about Malik Jefferson.

He was a no-show as a rookie – partly because of the nature of the position and partly because he was clearly overwhelmed.

Yet, on the first day in pads, there was Jefferson breaking up a pass. He wasn’t alone, another member of the third-round linebacker club, rookie Germaine Pratt, also went airborne to tip a pass that ended up falling incomplete.

The best players on our offensive line are average at best and the worst are among the worst starters in the NFL at their position. How could anyone think it would be a good unit?

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - SunsetBengal - 08-01-2019

Nice to read some positive things written about the defense.

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - jj22 - 08-01-2019

Thanks for the update.

I just don't know about these tackles, but I'll let the dead horse lay and like you focus on the good news concerning Lawson.

Great news about they young lb's.  

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - XenoMorph - 08-01-2019

(08-01-2019, 01:55 PM)jj22 Wrote: Thanks for the update.

I just don't know about these tackles, but I'll let the dead horse lay and like you focus on the good news concerning Lawson.

Great news about they young lb's.  

Better they get beat now by our own guys so they can get coached up

Hopefully they can clean some this up...   As the line plays together they should gel some more.  lots of new pieces this year.

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - 3wt - 08-01-2019

Thanks for this.   Encouraged about the defensive ends - though mindful of who they're playing against.  Very encouraged about the linebackers.

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - masonbengals fan - 08-01-2019

Seems like I've heard this before.

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - McC - 08-01-2019

The defense looking good is a good thing. The better they are, the more margin for error the offense has, OLines can take a while to gel.

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - grampahol - 08-01-2019

I suppose you have to consider both Lawson and Hubbard as not exactly being chopped liver at their own positions.. I suspect many offensive linemen in the league may just struggle against them this season. Par for the course. 
If the Oline was shutting them both down most of us would be calling for their replacements as well..  Half dozen of one or six of the other..  Take your pick.
That said I'm not exactly voting our Oline for Oline of the century either.. 

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - SunsetBengal - 08-01-2019

(08-01-2019, 02:12 PM)McC Wrote: The defense looking good is a good thing.  The better they are, the more margin for error the offense has,  OLines can take a while to gel.

If we were reading about THIS OL pushing the defense around and running the ball down their throats?  THAT would be genuine cause for alarm..

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - NATI BENGALS - 08-01-2019

Hubbard = JJ Watt
Lawson = Von Miller

Is that what i just heard?

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - 3wt - 08-01-2019

(08-01-2019, 02:17 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Hubbard = JJ Watt
Lawson = Von Miller

You're hearing things...

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - jason - 08-01-2019

(08-01-2019, 02:17 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Hubbard = JJ Watt
Lawson = Von Miller

Hart = Ogbuehi
Glenn = Fisher

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - 2MinutesHate - 08-01-2019

(08-01-2019, 01:51 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The best players on our offensive line are average at best and the worst are among the worst starters in the NFL at their position. How could anyone think it would be a good unit?

How many days go by before they get Trent Williams on the line?  Perhaps they already have.  No OL again this season spells certain doom for the team. Actually, it's rumored the Pats are already pursuing him. They don't sit on their hands very often though.

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - XenoMorph - 08-01-2019

(08-01-2019, 02:12 PM)McC Wrote: The defense looking good is a good thing.  The better they are, the more margin for error the offense has,  OLines can take a while to gel.

considering they were are weak spot much of last year...  I love hearing them winning practice off the bat

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - The Caped Crusader - 08-01-2019

I can't say I'm exactly thrilled with what I'm reading. Sure, I'm happy the defense is looking better. But is it? Like everyone said, at best, this offensive line MIGHT be average? So, our ends destroying them, doesn't really mean much.

Furthermore, we have clearly identified that Dalton needs help around him. This is from a Dalton supporter. We have two starting receivers injured and three linemen either out or completely gone. This just looks like a recipe for disaster. I really hope we sure up the offensive line. Perhaps, come pre season, we can see what's going on and (maybe) make changes.

Dalton is the type of QB that needs protection, a running game and weapons. He cannot 'carry' a team (few QB's can). Protection and running game need a very good OL. For reasons we cannot comprehend, this team cannot grasp this.

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - Nicomo Cosca - 08-01-2019

(08-01-2019, 04:59 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Dalton is the type of QB that needs protection, a running game and weapons. He cannot 'carry' a team (few QB's can). Protection and running game need a very good OL. For reasons we cannot comprehend, this team cannot grasp this.

They grasp it just fine. They just missed on multiple picks trying to address it, and are dealing with injuries to the picks that (hopefully) don’t suck.

(08-01-2019, 05:06 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: They grasp it just fine. They just missed on multiple picks trying to address it, and are dealing with injuries to the picks that (hopefully) don’t suck.

If they grasped it they would NEVER have let Whit and Zetleir go because they would have already known what we did - OG and Fischer sucked. And given there was and still is a shortage of good OL in the league the worst case scenario would have been we had too many good OL. One cluster after another compounded the issue. Was it Tobin or Blackburn that was crying about the fans reaction to overpaying for the slug Hart? Whining about 'what else were we supposed to do?". 

The IDEA of drafting 2 OL in 2015 was sound. But the picks were bad so they should have changed their plans quickly. Now we are in the third year of this situation and they still trying to 'slowly rebuild the line'. Outright poor management.