Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates (/Thread-Training-Camp-News-Notes-Updates)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - Nicomo Cosca - 08-13-2019

(08-13-2019, 10:29 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: I wish the squeelers were in our schedule for game 2 regular season. They would exploit our LBs with their TEs like a pimp exploits his jewelry. Ninja

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5a6d90f3af4fb25ff4...=giphy.gif]

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - yellowxdiscipline - 08-13-2019

(08-13-2019, 10:29 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: I wish the squeelers were in our schedule for game 2 regular season. They would exploit our LBs with their TEs like a pimp exploits his jewelry. Ninja

Doesn't have to be them, I would imagine most teams will have success matching their tight ends up against our linebackers.

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - fredtoast - 08-13-2019

(08-13-2019, 10:31 AM)McC Wrote: And you're so obsessed with Marv that you can't stop coming to his defense.  Do you really not see the irony?

I never bring Marvin's name up except to correct misinformation.  

So, no irony.  Just a distaste for false claims.

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - fredtoast - 08-13-2019

This make no sense at all, but at least it is good to see a hater openly admitting his fantasies.

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - sandwedge - 08-13-2019

WTF

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - THE PISTONS - 08-13-2019

(08-13-2019, 12:13 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Good to see HOPKINS play Center with the 1st team. I been saying he's the man for the C position.   Price can play G until Hopkins retires or gets injured. Price looked good during the PS game though.

I don't know. Hopkins is a bad starting Guard and a considerably below average starting Center. At 27, he is what he is.

Price is considerably younger and has a chance to develop into a solid Center. There will be growing pains though.

(08-13-2019, 09:59 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: You might be able to provide more, but I feel like that was the exception and not the rule. Its refreshing to see it being talked about. Not just with the line, but also with the back up QB, etc. It just seems being a starter or a certain spot is not a for sure, as much as it SEEMED it was under Marvin. 

That's kind of revisionist history.

You have to have talented backups to compete.

I'm sure IF the Bengals used a 4th Round pick on a QB under Marvin that there would have been competition.

As far as perceived competition on the offensive line - I'm sure that has to do with losing 2 starters before the season and having a weak overall line. IF we had a good starting 5, there would be no competition.

This is possibly our worst roster on paper of the past 10 years...so they're going to try different things to try to make it better. But we have several positions with bad starters.

(08-13-2019, 10:29 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I agree, great to see team not give a player a job based on their draft position. Make them earn it. I do hope if Hopkins wins center job because he is just very good, our fans don't trash Price because he lost a competition. It would be a wonderful thing is Hopkins and Price were both very good centers that could also play guard.

I know only one series, but our OL held their own albeit run blocking was not stellar in limited attempts. Good news is Chiefs did gets us in passing third and long situations so OL pass blocking was tested a little in series one under duress.

They're not very good centers. Price was a bad center last year. Possibly the worst starting Center in the NFL. Hopkins came in and was below average, but looked better because Price was so bad.

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - pally - 08-13-2019

Same OL as yesterday

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - The Caped Crusader - 08-13-2019

(08-13-2019, 12:14 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: They're not very good centers. Price was a bad center last year. Possibly the worst starting Center in the NFL. Hopkins came in and was below average, but looked better because Price was so bad.

PFF had his rookie year as the second worst rookie year for a center ever (or at least since they counted it). That's PFF, so I don't want to ride too much into that. That being said, Price was at fault for two of our arguably worst plays last year. The first play against the Colts and Dalton getting injured.

I'm hoping he cleans it up.

(08-13-2019, 12:01 AM)Shady Wrote: Agreed. We all remember Nate Livings starting in front of Evan Mathis.  Sick

2010 was Mathis last year here...and in 2009 he started 7 games.

I think Mathis just fared better in the Eagles scheme than he did here in ours.

Most of the time, when guys leave here...they're out of the league. I think in general the forum overvalues backups.

Like the perception that Marvin held Ross down on purpose Year 1. Well Ross looked lost out there Year 2. Could you imagine how lost he was Year 1?

Coaches play who they feel gives them the best chance to win.

It's funny that the forum thinks Hopkins is some good option. He was an absolutely terrible starter at Guard. (Yeah Marvin started him at Guard.)

(08-13-2019, 12:16 PM)pally Wrote: Same OL as yesterday

Honestly, I'm okay with that.

It was nice seeing Dalton last game not run for his life or have a disgusting jersey. 

(08-13-2019, 12:17 PM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: PFF had his rookie year as the second worst rookie year for a center ever (or at least since they counted it). That's PFF, so I don't want to ride too much into that. That being said, Price was at fault for two of our arguably worst plays last year. The first play against the Colts and Dalton getting injured.

I'm hoping he cleans it up.

No doubt Price was terrible last year. But, he has a chance to improve and be good.

At age 27 after being in the league this long, what you see is what you get with Hopkins.

This year should be about developing young guys...not playing low ceiling veterans to try to eek out an extra win.

(08-13-2019, 12:21 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: No doubt Price was terrible last year. But, he has a chance to improve and be good.

At age 27 after being in the league this long, what you see is what you get with Hopkins.

This year should be about developing young guys...not playing low ceiling veterans to try to eek out an extra win.

You're right. I'm hoping Price turns the corner this year.

Going to second squad though...doesn't sound like it.

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - Truck_1_0_1_ - 08-13-2019

(08-13-2019, 12:27 PM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: You're right. I'm hoping Price turns the corner this year.

Going to second squad though...doesn't sound like it.

Think they're just trying out looks at this point.

No big deal.

Only 1st stringers that have remained are Glenn, Hart and Miller, even though Jerry played decently and Jordan did well against 3rd stringers.

I think they just want to get the best combination and to do so, are trying out a bunch of things.

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - Whatever - 08-13-2019

(08-13-2019, 12:30 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Think they're just trying out looks at this point.

No big deal.

Only 1st stringers that have remained are Glenn, Hart and Miller, even though Jerry played decently and Jordan did well against 3rd stringers.

I think they just want to get the best combination and to do so, are trying out a bunch of things.

Turner had this to say about Jordan...

“It has nothing to do with who is actually going to be the starter. You have to give them all a chance to play with the 1s,” Turner said after practice. “This is Mike’s time to get a shot with the 1s. It really comes down to that. It’s a little quicker than we thought it was going to be because he played so well in the first game. Because he played so well in the first game we want to see what he can do with the first team. When you play with those better players on the first team, you should have more of a chance to shine yourself. We want to give him that opportunity.”

He also said Trey got a shot with the 1's because he played well in KC,but Price has also played well.

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - yellowxdiscipline - 08-13-2019

(08-13-2019, 12:19 PM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: Honestly, I'm okay with that.

It was nice seeing Dalton last game not run for his life or have a disgusting jersey. 

Now if we could only get these guys to run block.

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - Socal Bengals fan - 08-13-2019

(08-13-2019, 09:02 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Price is significantly better than Hopkins and this is just switching things up.

Agreed on both your point and Bfine's.

I thought he played fine as well, though if you look at the, "stock," thread, everyone was taking him down a peg...

Lol. Price might get benched all year and you’ll still be defending him.

(08-13-2019, 12:41 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Now if we could only get these guys to run block.

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=4589767]

One thing at a time! LOL

(08-13-2019, 12:30 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Think they're just trying out looks at this point.

No big deal.

I will have to agree to disagree. I played 8 years. I started playing with second stringers when I started becoming terrible (in my defense I had grown incredibly out of shape from my health). It was a wake up call and not a good one. I'm a nobody, so, I imagine, someone of Billy's level/talent, playing seconds...I'd have a hard time seeing this as 'no big deal'. It absolutely could be, but I don't see it that way.