Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates (/Thread-Training-Camp-News-Notes-Updates)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - Luvnit2 - 08-21-2019

(08-21-2019, 10:03 PM)Whatever Wrote: I'm probably in the minority on this, but I would hang onto Glenn next year.  Not counting this year's crop of UDFA's, we would only have 5 OL under contract next year if we cut Glenn(Jonah, MJ, Price, Miller, and Hart).  Even if one of the UDFA's is roster worthy by next year, you still need three guys.  He has a $9.5 mil cap hit, but in the current economy of the NFL, that's not bad for a starting caliber T.  I really don't want to be calling Andre Smith again during OTA's because we don't have enough depth at OT.

I think a no brainer. We don't have quality at backing up tackle, Williams may have not payed one snap so we are hopeful, but still in the dark on him. Didn't we not go all out letting Whitt go (I know we tried, but not hard enough), hoping Ced or Fisher would fill the void?

It killed our OL

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - psychdoctor - 08-21-2019

And I thought Wren was in danger of not making the 53 roster....

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - THE PISTONS - 08-21-2019

(08-21-2019, 11:08 AM)Whatever Wrote: FWIW, PFF had Hopkins at a 64 rating and Price at a 63 against the skins.  So, they were basically equal with Price playing weaker competition.

I'm not ready to give up on Price, but there's the possibility that his foot is hampering him.  It might be better to shut him down until he's 100% then see where he's at compared to Trey.

Things will be very interesting next year if Trey wins the job.  The Bengals will have to decide on resigning Trey or rolling with Price.  Miller seems firmly entrenched at RG and by all accounts Jordan will be starting at LG before the end of the year if he doesn't win the job for week 1.  Then, Jonah will be back and they'll be searching for a spot for Glenn.  

They'd probably love to waive Glenn and save his salary in your scenario.

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - Joelist - 08-21-2019

I like PFF for the stats but their ratings are not worth much. I’ll go with my firsthand observations watching the game play by play. Hopkins was struggling his whole time at Center. Price came in and it was like night and day. Interestingly Hopkins moved to LG and was much better there.

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - THE PISTONS - 08-21-2019

(08-21-2019, 10:39 PM)Joelist Wrote: I like PFF for the stats but their ratings are not worth much. I’ll go with my firsthand observations watching the game play by play. Hopkins was struggling his whole time at Center. Price came in and it was like night and day. Interestingly Hopkins moved to LG and was much better there.

Low 60 PFF rankings aren't great by any means...so that shows Hopkins struggled.

I think what PFF does is balance good plays with bad. Like if a player had 4 good blocks and 2 bad ones, they might grade out decent...where fans might tend to remember the 2 bad plays.

In general, the board seems to want Price to succeed so there will be atleast some bias towards his good plays.

I'm with you though...I'm starting Price over Hopkins.

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - Whatever - 08-21-2019

(08-21-2019, 10:22 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: They'd probably love to waive Glenn and save his salary in your scenario.

I don't think we have the depth on the OL to cut Glenn, honestly.  Personally, it would be kind of nice to not be sweating the season being over if one of the starting T's goes down.

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - rfaulk34 - 08-22-2019

(08-21-2019, 11:08 AM)Whatever Wrote: FWIW, PFF had Hopkins at a 64 rating and Price at a 63 against the skins.  So, they were basically equal with Price playing weaker competition.

I'm not ready to give up on Price, but there's the possibility that his foot is hampering him.  It might be better to shut him down until he's 100% then see where he's at compared to Trey.

Things will be very interesting next year if Trey wins the job.  The Bengals will have to decide on resigning Trey or rolling with Price.  Miller seems firmly entrenched at RG and by all accounts Jordan will be starting at LG before the end of the year if he doesn't win the job for week 1.  Then, Jonah will be back and they'll be searching for a spot for Glenn.  

Hopkins grade had to be brought down mostly while he was playing center because he played great at LG. Granted, it was against backups but he didn't let anyone get anything. I'd be pulling for Price at Center and Hopkins at LG tomorrow night to see how that plays out. 

Oline is a weird place, man. You can have a guy do not so well in a position next to another dude, then take those same guys and switch them up a bit and it just clicks. 

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - rfaulk34 - 08-22-2019

(08-21-2019, 02:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm with you. I don't see a justification for keeping Glenn except for OT depth. And even then, $9.5 mill is pretty expensive for a backup.

Yep. There's too many OG options right now, not even counting the draft next year. Plus, i don't like Glenn's lack of toughness and drive to play G. Add in his salary and that makes it a no-brainer. 

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - Whatever - 08-22-2019

(08-21-2019, 10:44 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Low 60 PFF rankings aren't great by any means...so that shows Hopkins struggled.

I think what PFF does is balance good plays with bad. Like if a player had 4 good blocks and 2 bad ones, they might grade out decent...where fans might tend to remember the 2 bad plays.

In general, the board seems to want Price to succeed so there will be atleast some bias towards his good plays.

When it comes to OL grades, most plays get graded as a 0.  That means basically that you did your job in a capable manner.  If you screw up, you get a negative grade.  They've said it's very hard to get a positive grade for a play, and you have to do something exceptional, like pancake a guy in the run game, hold up for 5+ seconds in pass protection, make a particularly tough reach block, etc.

Their system makes it easier for them to grade quickly, because they basically just have to watch for really good and really bad snaps and just chalk up everything else as 0's.  It's a flawed system in that a guy can do his job unexceptionally for 48 plays, but get graded negatively because of two bad plays.

As fans, it's easy to zone in on a couple of bad snaps by a guy in your doghouse and assume he's trash, especially if he didn't have any dominant snaps.  It's also easy to overreact to routine plays made by a guy you're pulling for and make them out to be positive plays when they're actually 0 sum snaps.

Neither guy played great, but both were at least serviceable.  Price obviously went against backups, so you have to take that into account.  Unfortunately, Price finally seeing snaps at G in practice may mean there's a real chance Hopkins is going to beat him out and they need him to be able to back up at more than 1 spot.

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - grampahol - 08-22-2019

(08-21-2019, 10:44 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Low 60 PFF rankings aren't great by any means...so that shows Hopkins struggled.

The good news is PFF doesn't play nor coach for the Bengals.. 

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - ochocincos - 08-22-2019

(08-22-2019, 03:32 AM)grampahol Wrote: The good news is PFF doesn't play nor coach for the Bengals.. 

But they are headquartered in Cincinnati  Ninja

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - Bengalitis - 08-22-2019

Anyone know what radio stations will broadcast the game for free ? whether on the bengals or giants side? I'll be at work for the start of the game, but can listen to the radio (by smartphone and without the need to add ANOTHER app). Let me know. For the first game I tried 1530 AM i think and it was just regular programming as usual. Sad

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - XenoMorph - 08-22-2019

(08-22-2019, 10:26 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Anyone know what radio stations will broadcast the game for free ? whether on the bengals or giants side? I'll be at work for the start of the game, but can listen to the radio (by smartphone and without the need to add ANOTHER app). Let me know. For the first game I tried 1530 AM i think and it was just regular programming as usual. Sad

if you can get 102.7 FM   that's the station that plays it locally (104.7 might as well)

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - Whatever - 08-22-2019

(08-22-2019, 10:26 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Anyone know what radio stations will broadcast the game for free ? whether on the bengals or giants side? I'll be at work for the start of the game, but can listen to the radio (by smartphone and without the need to add ANOTHER app). Let me know. For the first game I tried 1530 AM i think and it was just regular programming as usual. Sad

You can stream the radio broadcast on NFL.com iirc.

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 08-22-2019

(08-21-2019, 10:21 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: And I thought Wren was in danger of not making the 53 roster....

Wow, great vid, reps Psych.

Wren looks like a beast, just wanting to watch it translate. Reminds me of a raw Suh.

BTW, Marisa is a babe. Smirk

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - Truck_1_0_1_ - 08-22-2019

(08-22-2019, 01:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Wow, great vid, reps Psych.

Wren looks like a beast, just wanting to watch it translate. Reminds me of a raw Suh.

Totally, seems like a super cool chick too...

And, she's Italian Wink. I believe she is taken though, from what I can see on her IG (I've been following her for a few months now).

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - fredtoast - 08-22-2019

(08-22-2019, 01:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote:  Reminds me of a raw Suh.

Yep.  He is at the same age.  So he reminds you of "raw Suh age."

Wink

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - Luvnit2 - 08-22-2019

(08-22-2019, 01:42 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Totally, seems like a super cool chick too...

And, she's Italian Wink. I believe she is taken though, from what I can see on her IG (I've been following her for a few months now).

Nervous

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - psychdoctor - 08-22-2019

(08-22-2019, 01:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Wow, great vid, reps Psych.

What I like seeing about Wren is his attitude.  He understands his role, taking up space, and keeping the backers clean.  God knows that backers need help.  Also, I did not realize his size, that is a big man!  He does not seem to have body fat.  Also, he seems intelligent.  Hopefully he shows something tonight.   

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - psychdoctor - 08-22-2019

(08-22-2019, 01:55 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Nervous

I was thinking same thing...
Damn Truck.   Say What