Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates (/Thread-Training-Camp-News-Notes-Updates)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - THE PISTONS - 07-30-2019

First, Taylor apologized for delivering what he called false news and when was the last time you heard that no matter the century? He had said after Sunday’s practice that he’d have more news on A.J. Green’s left ankle on Monday, but he didn’t because they’re checking with doctors to find out if he needs surgery for his torn ligaments or if he can rehab them back without undergoing the knife.

“It’ll be tomorrow, OK. Hopefully I won’t be telling you it’s the next day,” Taylor said. “We just want some clarification from another doctor and then we’ll be good to go. Apologize for giving y’all false news yesterday, but I expect to have better news tomorrow.”

The best news would be no surgery but, Taylor is right, any news would be nice. All he could talk about on Green Monday was comparing the scooter ferrying him around the locker room to the one that linebackers coach Tem Lukabu uses while recovering from knee surgery for a torn patella tendon.

I feel like Paul Alexander's influence is still with the Bengals. 

Hopkins, a fourth-year man, is an unassuming sort who wouldn’t dare to begin to say he’s their most valuable lineman. But his line mates and coaches have high regard for him. How smart is this guy? Lapham and assistant offensive line coach Ben Martin both called him “a savant,” in separate conversations Monday an hour apart.

“He could play all five. I could see that,” Lapham says. “Look, this guy is smart. He’s a savant-type. Some players are smart, but they can’t translate it to football. He can. He’s smart of the field and definitely on it.”

“The guy’s built perfectly for a swingman,” Martin says. “His arms are longer than you think. The guy’s smart. He’s a savant. And not just football. If some random trivia thing comes up, he’s all over it.”

That’s smart.

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - McC - 07-30-2019

(07-30-2019, 01:58 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I feel like Paul Alexander's influence is still with the Bengals. 

Hopkins, a fourth-year man, is an unassuming sort who wouldn’t dare to begin to say he’s their most valuable lineman. But his line mates and coaches have high regard for him. How smart is this guy? Lapham and assistant offensive line coach Ben Martin both called him “a savant,” in separate conversations Monday an hour apart.

“He could play all five. I could see that,” Lapham says. “Look, this guy is smart. He’s a savant-type. Some players are smart, but they can’t translate it to football. He can. He’s smart of the field and definitely on it.”

“The guy’s built perfectly for a swingman,” Martin says. “His arms are longer than you think. The guy’s smart. He’s a savant. And not just football. If some random trivia thing comes up, he’s all over it.”

That’s smart.

I'm not getting the PA connection.

(07-30-2019, 02:06 PM)McC Wrote: I'm not getting the PA connection.

Alexander talked about lineman being smart and would give them a Heinz ketchup bottle and make them tap it in the right spot to release catchup and would evaluate them based on that.

It's funny to read an article talking about how Hopkins is smart at trivia. How is that relevant to football? How is being able to get ketchup from a bottle relevant?

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - fredtoast - 07-30-2019

(07-30-2019, 02:10 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's funny to read an article talking about how Hopkins is smart at trivia. How is that relevant to football? How is being able to get ketchup from a bottle relevant?

Its funny when people claim it doesn't help a football player to be smart.

(07-30-2019, 01:58 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote:  “Look, this guy is smart. He’s a savant-type. Some players are smart, but they can’t translate it to football. He can. He’s smart of the field and definitely on it.”

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - Nately120 - 07-30-2019

(07-30-2019, 02:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Its funny when people claim it doesn't help a football player to be smart.

I guess it depends on the trivia he knows.  

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - I_C_DeadPeople - 07-30-2019

(07-30-2019, 02:10 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Alexander talked about lineman being smart and would give them a Heinz ketchup bottle and make them tap it in the right spot to release catchup and would evaluate them based on that.

It's funny to read an article talking about how Hopkins is smart at trivia. How is that relevant to football? How is being able to get ketchup from a bottle relevant?

Trivia is very important to football.

For example, how many years has it been since a Mike Brown lead team has won a playoff game? How many inbreds do the Bengals have in the office?  How much did Jim Lippincott weigh?  

(07-30-2019, 02:19 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Trivia is very important to football.

For example, how many years has it been since a Mike Brown lead team has won a playoff game? How many inbreds do the Bengals have in the office?  How much did Jim Lippincott weigh?  

What singing drummer scored a surprising top 10 hit in 1975 with a song that featured his bandmates standing off-stage and doing nothing? Answer that, and then we will see if you are able to protect Dalton's blind side!

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - grampahol - 07-30-2019

(07-30-2019, 02:31 PM)Nately120 Wrote: What singing drummer scored a surprising top 10 hit in 1975 with a song that featured his bandmates standing off-stage and doing nothing?  Answer that, and then we will see if you are able to protect Dalton's blind side!

Ringo Star... The No-no song? 

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - XenoMorph - 07-30-2019

So AJ had his surgery

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/30/a-j-green-undergoes-ankle-surgery/

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - SunsetBengal - 07-30-2019

(07-30-2019, 02:31 PM)Nately120 Wrote: What singing drummer scored a surprising top 10 hit in 1975 with a song that featured his bandmates standing off-stage and doing nothing?  Answer that, and then we will see if you are able to protect Dalton's blind side!

Don Henley?

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - pally - 07-30-2019

Clark Harris activated off NFI list

Dennard, Redmond, Price, and Anderson still not cleared

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - fredtoast - 07-30-2019

Peter "James" Bond.

(07-30-2019, 02:39 PM)grampahol Wrote: Ringo Star... The No-no song? 

Nope, Ringo was out of the Beatles by this point and the No-No song is on the "Goodnight Vienna" album which came out in 1974.

(07-30-2019, 02:54 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Don Henley?

Good guess, but no...plus, any Eagles hit had at least one of the non-Henley members singing/playing with him (right?)

(07-30-2019, 03:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Peter "James" Bond.

Well, you got the first name right. Thank you for playing, but I fear none of you are o-line worthy yet.

(07-30-2019, 03:39 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Nope, Ringo was out of the Beatles by this point and the No-No song is on the "Goodnight Vienna" album which came out in 1974.

Good guess, but no...plus, any Eagles hit had at least one of the non-Henley members singing/playing with him (right?)

Well, you got the first name right.  Thank you for playing, but I fear none of you are o-line worthy yet.

With a clue like that..  I'm going to have to go with Peter Criss, of Kiss, and the song "Beth".

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - HarleyDog - 07-30-2019

(07-30-2019, 03:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: With a clue like that..  I'm going to have to go with Peter Criss, of Kiss, and the song "Beth".

Couldn’t be. Beth didn’t hit top 10 till 1976.

(07-30-2019, 03:52 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Couldn’t be. Beth didn’t hit top 10 till 1976.

Welp..  It's settled.  I'm just not smart enough to play for Paul Alexander.   LOL

(07-30-2019, 03:52 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Couldn’t be. Beth didn’t hit top 10 till 1976.

Well I blew it then, because I was just going from the year Destroyer came out which was 1975 I think. I didn't actually look it up nor did I think anyone would even reply. 

My bad.  Yeah I guess Destroyer was spring 76.  Sorry gang.

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - McC - 07-30-2019

(07-30-2019, 03:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Welp..  It's settled.  I'm just not smart enough to play for Paul Alexander.   LOL

I could never play for PA either because I refuse to go anywhere near a Heinz product.

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - Goalpost - 07-30-2019

Not much happened today. Lightning chased them off the field after 15 minutes.