Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Too Soon To Throw In The Towel? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Too Soon To Throw In The Towel? (/Thread-Too-Soon-To-Throw-In-The-Towel)

Pages: 1 2 3

Too Soon To Throw In The Towel? - guyofthetiger - 07-29-2019

Well, our best receiver is injured and the Oline has needs. Lets see who steps up to fill the void. I'm not predicting the playoffs, but we should be at least 6-10 this season. Maybe there will be a few players that shine for their opportunity to play. Don't give up yet as the season has not even started. Our new coach will need to do his job.

RE: Too Soon To Throw In The Towel? - Nately120 - 07-29-2019

(07-29-2019, 01:46 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Well, our best receiver is injured and the Oline has needs. Lets see who steps up to fill the void. I'm not predicting the playoffs, but we should be at least 6-10 this season. Maybe there will be a few players that shine for their opportunity to play. Don't give up yet as the season has not even started. Our new coach will need to do his job.

On the optimistic side it's never over and you never know what might happen.  On the other hand, there is no telling who will be left standing when we have game 1.  They're dropping like flies and we are 1 day into training camp

RE: Too Soon To Throw In The Towel? - NKURyan - 07-29-2019

They haven't even played a preseason game yet lol.

It's the NFL, you're never out of it until you're actually out of it (unless you're Cleveland). I'm sure plenty of people threw in the towel in 2011, too.

Yeah it looks bad now, but there's still six weeks until they play a game that actually counts.

RE: Too Soon To Throw In The Towel? - bengaloo - 07-29-2019

Way too soon. It seems like the new coaches have a good chance at ending up being a lot better than the last ones, and that alone could make every difference we need. Watching interviews it looks like the players are loving the coaches, the new schemes and the new vibe and energy overall. They seem to have to make effort not to throw Marvin and co under the bus. Its going to be exciting to see how it turns out.

RE: Too Soon To Throw In The Towel? - ochocincos - 07-29-2019

(07-29-2019, 01:46 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Well, our best receiver is injured and the Oline has needs. Lets see who steps up to fill the void. I'm not predicting the playoffs, but we should be at least 6-10 this season. Maybe there will be a few players that shine for their opportunity to play. Don't give up yet as the season has not even started. Our new coach will need to do his job.

A lot of people were ready to throw in the towel in 2011 and also going into last season.
2011 resulted in going to the playoffs and last year started off at 4-1 before injuries started to really hit.
While I'm not optimistic just like you are, we don't know for sure how the season will play out.

RE: Too Soon To Throw In The Towel? - impactplaya - 07-29-2019

quitting without a fught is juat wrong.
yeah Im sure ZT told the team that after AJ went down.
"lets just quit now".

(07-29-2019, 02:10 PM)ochocincos Wrote: A lot of people were ready to throw in the towel in 2011 and also going into last season.
2011 resulted in going to the playoffs and last year started off at 4-1 before injuries started to really hit.
While I'm not optimistic just like you are, we don't know for sure how the season will play out.

I'm not sure if "last year we were great until we got injured" is the best argument against being negative following an injury plagued off season. 

RE: Too Soon To Throw In The Towel? - JWW1971 - 07-29-2019

I was looking at our schedule and if we can keep our best player healthy and a couple of young guys break through I honestly see us going 9-7

RE: Too Soon To Throw In The Towel? - THE PISTONS - 07-29-2019

(07-29-2019, 02:09 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Way too soon. It seems like the new coaches have a good chance at ending up being a lot better than the last ones, and that alone could make every difference we need. Watching interviews it looks like the players are loving the coaches, the new schemes and the new vibe and energy overall. They seem to have to make effort not to throw Marvin and co under the bus. Its going to be exciting to see how it turns out.

What evidence have you seen so far that says these coaches will be a lot better than the last staff?

There's always a honeymoon period when you bring new coaches in. You're seeing that now. IF the coaches don't win though, that honeymoon period will be over.

(07-29-2019, 02:47 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm not sure if "last year we were great until we got injured" is the best argument against being negative following an injury plagued off season. 

Yep. But I thought the coaching staff was inept?

The whole injuries derailed our season last year and the Marvin and Co were terrible arguments contradict.

(07-29-2019, 02:51 PM)JWW1971 Wrote: I was looking at our schedule and if we can keep our best player healthy and a couple of young guys break through I honestly see us going 9-7

Well...we've already lost Williams who was probably going to be our best lineman, Boling who was our best lineman for the last couple years, and AJ Green who is our best player on the roster.

Does that count as staying healthy?

RE: Too Soon To Throw In The Towel? - XenoMorph - 07-29-2019

(07-29-2019, 03:11 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: What evidence have you seen so far that says these coaches will be a lot better than the last staff?

There's always a honeymoon period when you bring new coaches in. You're seeing that now. IF the coaches don't win though, that honeymoon period will be over.

same amount of evidence as you have seen that they wont.

RE: Too Soon To Throw In The Towel? - PhilHos - 07-29-2019

Yes.

(07-29-2019, 03:33 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: same amount of evidence as you have seen that they wont.

True, nothing is set in stone but don't you think a lot of people are dusting off their hands and declaring a rather premature "mission accomplished" when it comes to our coaching being obviously better this season?

(07-29-2019, 03:33 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: same amount of evidence as you have seen that they wont.

I'm not saying that he will or won't. But, he was a mediocre OC in Miami and U of Cincy. And the staff isn't exactly filled with guys who are winners.

It's funny that people think Marvin is so bad, yet they cite the 4-1 start last year and injuries derailing the season. That 4-1 start would be WITH Marvin as HC.

(07-29-2019, 04:12 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'm not saying that he will or won't. But, he was a mediocre OC in Miami and U of Cincy. And the staff isn't exactly filled with guys who are winners.

It's funny that people think Marvin is so bad, yet they cite the 4-1 start last year and injuries derailing the season. That 4-1 start would be WITH Marvin as HC.

right...   Im not one of those running around bashing marvin..  Or giving up on ZT before he stats though.   The way last year finished after he took over the Defense + The injuries had me thinking Marvin would be back.       But even without marvin our roster I would say overall is better than last year(with all the injuries)  just without them. 

We have already taken a few blows.  how the staff handle those hits will tell us a little about them and how they handle things overall. so far they haven't panic'd  even though this place is full of headless chickens(so to speak) lol. 

AJ being hurt sucks.. But have little doubt when hes ready he will be able to contribute.   It might be a small blessing(make a positive out of a negative) as it gets the other WRs more time with Dalton and forces Dalton to look elsewhere.    And then when aj is back QB should have a better timing with the rest of the guys and maybe some more trust in them.

Have to see how the OL Pans out but some of the weakness there could be cared for with scheme. and play calls. (this line probly isn't ready for a ton of long developing plays until the playaction starts working)

(07-29-2019, 04:20 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: right...   Im not one of those running around bashing marvin..  Or giving up on ZT before he stats though.   The way last year finished after he took over the Defense + The injuries had me thinking Marvin would be back.       But even without marvin our roster I would say overall is better than last year(with all the injuries)  just without them. 

We have already taken a few blows.  how the staff handle those hits will tell us a little about them and how they handle things overall. so far they haven't panic'd  even though this place is full of headless chickens(so to speak) lol. 

AJ being hurt sucks.. But have little doubt when hes ready he will be able to contribute.   It might be a small blessing(make a positive out of a negative) as it gets the other WRs more time with Dalton and forces Dalton to look elsewhere.    And then when aj is back QB should have a better timing with the rest of the guys and maybe some more trust in them.

Have to see how the OL Pans out but some of the weakness there could be cared for with scheme. and play calls. (this line probly isn't ready for a ton of long developing plays until the playaction starts working)

Honestly, if we signed LJ Fort at LB who signed in Philly for a reasonable price and 1 or 2 other free agents at positions of need...I'd be feeling a lot better now. Maybe Rodger Saffold instead of Miller. Yeah he would have costed slightly more, but he's a really talented Guard.

Actually, I'd probably be excited about the season.

RE: Too Soon To Throw In The Towel? - jason - 07-29-2019

Um... Yes. Generally the towel is not thrown in until the fight starts.

(07-29-2019, 04:29 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Honestly, if we signed LJ Fort at LB who signed in Philly for a reasonable price and 1 or 2 other free agents at positions of need...I'd be feeling a lot better now. Maybe Rodger Saffold instead of Miller. Yeah he would have costed slightly more, but he's a really talented Guard.

Actually, I'd probably be excited about the season.

willing to let the new staff have a crack at the roster before overhauling everything.  have some "talented" young LBers that haven't had much playing time yet.     Have to see how it all shakes out..

we get brown back... vigils ankle should be healed. If Malik Pratt or Evans can step up this year we might not be a void of talent there as everyone thinks.

RE: Too Soon To Throw In The Towel? - SunsetBengal - 07-29-2019

Too soon. Should have made it a poll question. Cool