Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Reds Month of August Games Thread - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: General Sports (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-General-Sports)
+--- Forum: Cincinnati Reds (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Reds)
+--- Thread: Reds Month of August Games Thread (/Thread-Reds-Month-of-August-Games-Thread)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

RE: Reds Month of August Games Thread - psychdoctor - 08-25-2019

The 1-run losses killed the Reds. Seems they have to fire House and get a new Batting coach. I do not think they will offer Wood much more than another year extension. Bauer must think he is in the twilight zone and hopes this is all a nightmare.

If the Reds win more of those 1-run games and started out 5-4 instead of 1-8, they would be right there for WC battle. New Bullpen is required. New Closer is required.

RE: Reds Month of August Games Thread - fredtoast - 08-25-2019

(08-24-2019, 09:57 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: How many hits does Dietrich have since like first week of June ? 4 ?

Why are they even playing him ?

Since June 6 (over 2.5 months) he is 11 of 98 (.112 avg) with 6 times as many strikeouts (37) as RBI (6).

Don't know why he has not been released.

RE: Reds Month of August Games Thread - Circleville Guy - 08-25-2019

(08-25-2019, 05:28 AM)kevin Wrote: As the Reds lost the Pirates series in Pittsburgh, The Fat Lady walked towards the stage to sing. People tried to stop her saying that with Bauer, Gray and Castillo the Reds can win 3 in a row and climb to 5 under .500 again. The Fat Lady said that was nonsense and charged ahead. People tackled her and piled on. At this time they are still rolling on the ground trying to stop the Fat Lady determined to sing the seasons end. Maybe if these 3 can win some games in a row, she can be held back, but the Fat Lady is charging like a wild rhino. She has on her viking helmet and costume and is determined to sing. Someone yelled if Reds can finish 81-81, that would be something, and don't forget Marty Day. That just angered The Fat Lady as she erupted passing gas as she fights her way to the stage being held back.

As BF74 has said, she’s already sung. They’re not winning 20 games in a row and that’s about what it would take. As much as I like a few of the new faces, there were many disappointments too. The Redshave won a whole 4 more games than they did at this point of the schedule last year. There’s a lot of mediocre players on this team. They need to upgrade five or six guys in the offseason to compete for the division title.

RE: Reds Month of August Games Thread - Forever Spinning Vinyl - 08-25-2019

27th one run loss, worst in the Major Leagues. 10 straight losses in Pittsburgh, 5-11 this season vs Pittsburgh

That's a management problem and they're not going to give up on Dumb Bell because people my grandparents knew rooted for Gus Bell. Apparently that's enough to keep a job in Cincinnati.

RE: Reds Month of August Games Thread - psychdoctor - 08-25-2019

I remember Bauer stating that he has been playing with torn ligaments in his ankle. I don't know what to think about his performance thus far but I hope he gets it back next year.

RE: Reds Month of August Games Thread - bengalfan74 - 08-25-2019

Swept by the Pirates.....good lord ! Wonder if the Marlins will sweep em ?

RE: Reds Month of August Games Thread - Circleville Guy - 08-25-2019

(08-25-2019, 06:23 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I remember Bauer stating that he has been playing with torn ligaments in his ankle. I don't know what to think about his performance thus far but I hope he gets it back next year.

I would shop him in the offseason. He seems a little overrated. He’s had one very good year, an above average year and has been mediocre the rest of his career. His big plus is that he eats innings but he will pitch less in the NL because they will pinch hit for him and take him out of games early.

RE: Reds Month of August Games Thread - kevin - 08-25-2019

Ervin's weak arm in CF makes him the worst center fielder I have ever seen. He can't even make routine throws back to the infield, kids in Little League are better. That was a case where Bell should have moved him from CF to LF and moved Van Meter to CF after those 1st inning errors. The guy is no center fielder, worst I've ever seen. No arm, a huge defensive weakness when put in CF. Modern day may not like this, but Billy Martin of 1970's Yankees would have been all over Ervin and either moved him from CF to LF, or just yanked him out of game in 1st inning for such awful defense below Little League standards.

I'm not understanding Bells line-ups a lot in 2019. Reds Fans say it's called platooning, read a book on it. I think Reds should read a book on it. All season if a player got hot at the plate, Bell would then bench him and put in a cold player on the bench or up from minors. Now they can throw all the modern million and one computer stats out there, and I still say benching a hot player is stupid. I say if a guy is giving you the big hits, play him until he cools off. Early in season Dietrich was hot and after having a big game Bell would bench him. Then Senzel got hot and while hot Bell benched him. Then Van Meter got hot and Bell benched him. Ervin got hot and Bell benched him. Iglesias was great with the bat and the glove and out of nowhere Bell benched him. I'm not understanding the Bell style of Bench The Hot Players. If that is modern day platooning, it is stupid.

As Reds swept by Pirates, the Fat Lady broke lose as many decided to stop holding her back. In her viking helmet she started singing as loud as she can and is still singing hours later. Forget play-offs, the chances of this team winning 81 games is now unlikely. The team will have another losing season. So the Fat Lady was not being held back for play-offs, but in hopes Reds could finish .500 with this Great Pitching Staff. Now we see the pitching staff not all that great, they will not win 81 games. Reds may win 70 games, but nothing close to 81. Sweep by Pirates has The Fat Lady doing an all Sunday Night finale.

Suarez did hit homer #35 still in August. The guy will probably hit 40, unless Bell and Reds look at some computer stats and decide to bench him also.

In all fairness to Bell, the Fat Lady sang end of season for Reds in May every season under Price. The Reds do have one of the best pitching coaches in baseball that came over from Brewers. The pitching was better in 2019 than in last 5 Reds seasons. As for hitting, not so good, especially first months of the season. Votto had an awful year as highest paid Red.

RE: Reds Month of August Games Thread - fredtoast - 08-26-2019

(08-25-2019, 11:38 PM)kevin Wrote:  Now they can throw all the modern million and one computer stats out there, and I still say benching a hot player is stupid.  I say if a guy is giving you the big hits, play him until he cools off.  Early in season Dietrich was hot and after having a big game Bell would bench him.  Then Senzel got hot and while hot Bell benched him.  Then Van Meter got hot and Bell benched him.  Ervin got hot and Bell benched him.  Iglesias was great with the bat and the glove and out of nowhere Bell benched him.  I'm not understanding the Bell style of Bench The Hot Players. If that is modern day platooning, it is stupid.  

I am not understanding when Senzel and Iglesias were benched.

RE: Reds Month of August Games Thread - bengalfan74 - 08-26-2019

(08-26-2019, 01:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am not understanding when Senzel and Iglesias were benched.

I'm guessing he's talking about Senzel taken out of lineup for injuries and just Bell's musical lineup he has played all season besides JV at 1B and Suarez at 3B.

RE: Reds Month of August Games Thread - psychdoctor - 08-26-2019

I felt that the loss to the Cubs during the 4th game of their recent series after being up 3 runs with Castillo on the mound broke their spirits and the soul of the team. I also do not understand benching hot players at the plate. I do not see the Reds competing in 2020 with the way Bauer is performing and the current bullpen. If Votto has another sub-average year, they will be painful to watch.

I know I am dreaming. I know this. But I hope they bring back Puig and and extend Iggy (SS). The Reds need to a new closer. I do not know what to think of Winker; he is so damn inconsistent.

See this is what I don't understand about Bell. Why the hell is Dietrich starting at 1st ? Wouldn't it be so much better to be taking a look at one of the young players that might be able to contribute to the 2020 Reds ?

Does he really think Dietrich has something to offer ? Between 2016-18 he's averaged 12 HR's like 45 RBI's and about .260 average. And he gets hit by a lot of pitches. He's a bench player at best.

RE: Reds Month of August Games Thread - cinci4life - 08-26-2019

(08-26-2019, 09:10 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: See this is what I don't understand about Bell. Why the hell is Dietrich starting at 1st ? Wouldn't it be so much better to be taking a look at one of the young players that might be able to contribute to the 2020 Reds ?

Does he really think Dietrich has something to offer ? Between 2016-18 he's averaged 12 HR's like 45 RBI's and about .260 average. And he gets hit by a lot of pitches. He's a bench player at best.

Except all of the younger players were already in the game too so I don't who else you would be talking about.

(08-26-2019, 10:48 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Except all of the younger players were already in the game too so I don't who else you would be talking about.

Farmer, Casalli

And I'm just tired of watching Dietrich strike out 3 times a game. There's nothing else to see

RE: Reds Month of August Games Thread - cinci4life - 08-27-2019

(08-26-2019, 11:01 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Farmer, Casalli

And I'm just tired of watching Dietrich strike out 3 times a game. There's nothing else to see

With a right hander pitching for Miami and the Reds only having a couple of left handed hitting options not to mention playing at his former home for the first time, he was going to play.

RE: Reds Month of August Games Thread - bengalfan74 - 08-27-2019

Castillo is fading fast, 3 runs and 45 pitches in 2 innings vs one of the worst teams in MLB.

RE: Reds Month of August Games Thread - cinci4life - 08-27-2019

Garrett gets ejected after Bell pulled him in the 8th. Kept talking to the home plate ump as he was walking to the dugout.

RE: Reds Month of August Games Thread - kevin - 08-28-2019

Suarez has 37 homers with games left in August. Closing in on 40 Homers. Could he hit 45 or 50 ?

Castillo gets the win and is 13 -5 with a 3.21 ERA. Closing in on 15 Wins

Iglesias gets the save for # 27. Closing in on 30 Saves.

Aquino has 12 homers. Closing in on 15. In his short time up, Could he hit 20 ?

Sonny Gray has 10 wins and 2.92 ERA. Can he come close to 15 wins ? Can he have an ERA under 3.00 ?

RE: Reds Month of August Games Thread - bengalfan74 - 08-28-2019

(08-28-2019, 02:20 AM)kevin Wrote: Suarez has 37 homers with games left in August.   Closing in on 40 Homers. Could he hit 45 or 50 ?

Castillo gets the win and is 13 -5 with a 3.21 ERA.  Closing in on 15 Wins

Iglesias gets the save for # 27.  Closing in on 30 Saves.

Aquino has 12 homers.  Closing in on 15.  In his short time up, Could he hit 20 ?

Sonny Gray has 10 wins and 2.92 ERA.  Can he come close to 15 wins ?   Can he have an ERA under 3.00 ?

Castillo settled down after a rocky start. But Garrett geezzzz he's walking way to many batters. Like Thom said last night, you're facing the guy batting 8th who's at .178 or something and you throw him 3 sliders in the dirt in a row for a walk ??? Doesn't he understand he has a 98 MPH fastball ?

I'll say Suarez hits 44 and Aquino 19

RE: Reds Month of August Games Thread - Forever Spinning Vinyl - 08-28-2019

So I wonder who will be the starter in the late game on Saturday?
https://www.espn.com/mlb/team/schedule/_/name/cin
Listed as open . . . do they call up a starter from the minors(Mahle? He should be past the 10 day window) or do they try to pull off a "bullpen game" in the middle of a long stretch with no days off, 18 games in 17 days. In the beginning of three straight 4 game series (Marlins, Cardinals, Phillies).