Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Reds Month of August Games Thread - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: General Sports (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-General-Sports)
+--- Forum: Cincinnati Reds (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Reds)
+--- Thread: Reds Month of August Games Thread (/Thread-Reds-Month-of-August-Games-Thread)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

RE: Reds Month of August Games Thread - Earendil - 08-07-2019

Aquino reminds me of Eric Davis, even down to the number.

RE: Reds Month of August Games Thread - kevin - 08-07-2019

On this off day, let me throw something at some of you for your feedback.

What if Joey Votto has a good August and September ?

We know Reds will never bench him unless he is injured. Never dare mention trade, which deadline is over anyway.

So Joey Votto is at First Base. Other players that are hot get taken in and out of line-up, Votto plays every day.

So how KEY is it for Votto to play close to MVP Joey Votto ?

I mention this because when 1990 us mentioned people say Eric Davis. I was old even in 1990 and I tell everybody Eric Davis was injured in middle of season of 1990. Reds were lucky they had Billy Hatcher and Braggs and O'Neil. Eric Davis was healthy to start World Series and that was huge. So how huge would it be for Votto to get HOT last 2 months of season ?

How much would it help to have Votto be HOT against Cubs this weekend ?

Again, I point to Votto because he plays First Base every game. He is the highest paid Red. Much of if the Reds make a play-off run or fall backwards depends on a HOT Votto or a 2nd rate Votto.

I'm rooting he is HOT to go with Suarez at 3rd. People can talk about the young players and say a child shall lead them, but the hitting on this team to be play-off material needs Suarez to continue and Votto's bat heating up to get RED HOT.

Your thoughts ?......and remember, Votto is NOT a platoon player as OF, 2nd, SS, C..... He is in line-up every game. He and Suarez are the 2 true everyday players on this team now......How KEY is it for Votto to be hot the last 2 months ??? If Votto gets HOT, can you see Reds in play-offs ? I'm talking Votto being one of top Fantasy Baseball Points leaders last 2 months, in the top 5 or top 10 last 2 months, up there with Trout and other big name players. Could a Red Hot Votto take this team to the Play-Offs ?

I'll add there were years Johnny Bench struggled but got Red Hot down the stretch to play-offs as hottest hitter in the game those last months, and I'm saying it was huge. If Votto gets hot down stretch as Johnny Bench or Eric Davis in past, watch out for The Reds.

RE: Reds Month of August Games Thread - kevin - 08-07-2019

An add on post. The best thing about day off before Cubs series is it rests the 2019 Nasty Boys of Garrett, Lorenzen and Iglesias. They will be greatly needed to win this 4 game Cubs series. The day of rest is huge.

Sims is starting to be Reds 1990 Jack Armstrong, The All-American Boy, in that he is a young starter called up helping greatly in the bullpen able to go long or short.

RE: Reds Month of August Games Thread - bengalfan74 - 08-07-2019

(08-07-2019, 12:44 PM)kevin Wrote: On this off day, let me throw something at some of you for your feedback.

What if Joey Votto has a good August and September ?

Votto has 14 RBI's in the last 30 games giving him 36 on the season. We really need him to be at 60 at the end of the season meaning 24 more in 50 games. 

He needs to be the guy getting those two out RBI's, getting those guys home from 3rd with sac flies, driving in runs when the young guys are struggling.

I think his production down the stretch will be a determining factor.

RE: Reds Month of August Games Thread - McC - 08-07-2019

(08-07-2019, 01:37 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Votto has 14 RBI's in the last 30 games giving him 36 on the season. We really need him to be at 60 at the end of the season meaning 24 more in 50 games. 

He needs to be the guy getting those two out RBI's, getting those guys home from 3rd with sac flies, driving in runs when the young guys are struggling.

Right after he changed his stance and stopped that stupid choking up nonsense, he started ripping the ball a lot better.  He got hot for a week or two but the past week or two he has cooled off again.  I thought we might be seeing the old Votto again but it didn't last.  It might not be so bad if he wasn't batting second.

RE: Reds Month of August Games Thread - bengalfan74 - 08-07-2019

(08-07-2019, 05:53 PM)McC Wrote: Right after he changed his stance and stopped that stupid choking up nonsense, he started ripping the ball a lot better.  He got hot for a week or two but the past week or two he has cooled off again.  I thought we might be seeing the old Votto again but it didn't last.  It might not be so bad if he wasn't batting second.

I'm hoping the Votto of a couple weeks ago comes back for the remainder of the season, we need him.

RE: Reds Month of August Games Thread - McC - 08-07-2019

(08-07-2019, 06:14 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm hoping the Votto of a couple weeks ago comes back for the remainder of the season, we need him.

Or at least get him out of the second spot.   That's where Trout and Yelich and guys like that bat.  Is the Votto of 2019 in a class with those guys?

RE: Reds Month of August Games Thread - fredtoast - 08-08-2019

Votto is a total mystery. Apparently he is healthy, but it looks like he is now nothing more than a .260 hitter. I don't think his physical skills have dropped off that much, but I also don't see him getting a lot better this year.

115 games is not just a "slump". It is what it is for the season.

And I don't think this team can make the playoffs with a .260 no-power hitter at 1B.

RE: Reds Month of August Games Thread - kevin - 08-08-2019

(08-07-2019, 01:37 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Votto has 14 RBI's in the last 30 games giving him 36 on the season. We really need him to be at 60 at the end of the season meaning 24 more in 50 games. 

I'm going to move the Votto goals up.  70 plus RBI's, not 60.   He gets paid to jack in at least 70.   He needs to out play Rizzo this Cubs series, which is not all that impossible.  I don't know if announcers or players like hearing the old school, but in old time baseball they would say Votto gets paid to come up big the last 2 months down the stretch.

RE: Reds Month of August Games Thread - bengalfan74 - 08-08-2019

(08-08-2019, 10:00 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Votto is a total mystery.  Apparently he is healthy, but it looks like he is now nothing more than a .260 hitter.  I don't think his physical skills have dropped off that much, but I also don't see him getting a lot better this year.

115 games is not just a "slump".  It is what it is for the season.

And I don't think this team can make the playoffs with a .260 no-power hitter at 1B.

I agree Fred

I don't claim to have any insider info or be a Dr. of any kind. But to me Votto is a head case.

He goes up to the plate and overanalyze's everything ! I don't think his hand eye coordination, bat speed, wrist strength or anything has dropped off that far. I mean sure age is catching up with him some, sure. But not to the degree the stats would imply.

If he would just get in the box and swing the damn bat and quit looking for the perfect pitch, the perfect zone, the perfect wind, and whatever the hell he's waiting on he'd still be a damn good hitter.

And fully agree we can't get this team in top shape with a 1Bmen having under 50 RBI's a season. 

RE: Reds Month of August Games Thread - bengalfan74 - 08-08-2019

(08-08-2019, 10:10 AM)kevin Wrote: I'm going to move the Votto goals up.  70 plus RBI's, not 60.   He gets paid to jack in at least 70.   He needs to out play Rizzo this Cubs series, which is not all that impossible. 

Oh I agree Kevin, really 85 or 90 !

You just can't have a power position doing basically nothing run production wise. And really the bulk of the season we've had two power positions adding little to the RBI stats. LF and 1B and it shows in the standings.

You can get away with one power position with middle of the road production if you have a hot SS or CF or whatever making up for it with 90 RBI's. But if you have two not producing it basically sinks the ship.

I don't know what the answer is with Votto and 1B next season but they're going to have to get more out of that position next season....period !

RE: Reds Month of August Games Thread - kevin - 08-08-2019

(08-08-2019, 10:32 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Oh I agree Kevin, really 85 or 90 !

You just can't have a power position doing basically nothing run production wise. And really the bulk of the season we've had two power positions adding little to the RBI stats. LF and 1B and it shows in the standings.

You can get away with one power position with middle of the road production if you have a hot SS or CF or whatever making up for it with 90 RBI's. But if you have two not producing it basically sinks the ship.

I don't know what the answer is with Votto and 1B next season but they're going to have to get more out of that position next season....period !

Except I'm not talking next season....I'm talking this season......Votto needs to get hot and club 70 plus RBI's THIS SEASON and THAT would help a play-off run.  He needs to be a leader against Cubs this series. 

RE: Reds Month of August Games Thread - Circleville Guy - 08-08-2019

(08-08-2019, 10:11 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I agree Fred

I don't claim to have any insider info or be a Dr. of any kind. But to me Votto is a head case.

He goes up to the plate and overanalyze's everything ! I don't think his hand eye coordination, bat speed, wrist strength or anything has dropped off that far. I mean sure age is catching up with him some, sure. But not to the degree the stats would imply.

If he would just get in the box and swing the damn bat and quit looking for the perfect pitch, the perfect zone, the perfect wind, and whatever the hell he's waiting on he'd still be a damn good hitter.

And fully agree we can't get this team in top shape with a 1Bmen having under 50 RBI's a season. 
I totally agree!

RE: Reds Month of August Games Thread - psychdoctor - 08-08-2019

(08-08-2019, 10:00 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Votto is a total mystery.  Apparently he is healthy, but it looks like he is now nothing more than a .260 hitter.  I don't think his physical skills have dropped off that much, but I also don't see him getting a lot better this year.

115 games is not just a "slump".  It is what it is for the season.

Fred I don't know if you have ever played golf, but the smallest change in the swing can screw up a hell of a lot.  I think the new hitting coach tweaked Votto's swing based on metrics and video simulations.  When I went to the games this year, Votto had this launch pre-batting drill that simply looked odd for him.  I also noticed he choked up on his bat.  

You may be correct in the implication that Votto is showing signs of decline because it has been back-to-back years.  However, I am a sport psychologist and work with baseball players.  I have come across some "head cases" and Votto may have some psychological issues as well.  I know he suffered from PTSD symptoms after the death of his father and had bouts of "dizziness"  and even called 9-1-1 at one point. 

So it may be both, physical decline due to an aging player and mental issues that pop up over the last two years.  It may be the new hitting coach.  In either case, I agree with you...the Reds need him.  The Reds need him to get back his mojo and help carry this team.  

The "Punisher" doubles in a run.  I am starting to like this guy.    Excited

Why hasn't JVM played lately? WTH?

The "Punisher" just hit a two run home-run. wow. Reds are down by two due to error by Peraza.

Game is tied 5-5! Bases loaded. Wood is out of game after 3 innings. I hope it is nothing serious or a set back from prior injuries. Votto is up with bases loaded. Come on Joey, do something!

Votto strikes out looking... Smack

RE: Reds Month of August Games Thread - cinci4life - 08-08-2019

(08-08-2019, 09:35 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Votto strikes out looking... Smack

It was ball 4 though.

(08-08-2019, 09:43 PM)cinci4life Wrote: It was ball 4 though.

Was it a bad call?  If it were close, he needs to swing.