Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Bourbon - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Klotsch (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Klotsch)
+---- Forum: Food & Drink (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Food-Drink)
+---- Thread: Bourbon (/Thread-Bourbon)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Bourbon - WeezyBengal - 01-04-2021

(12-22-2020, 07:51 PM)Wyche Wrote: Where y'all scoring all of these Weller varieties? I have a fifth and a half gallon of the green label, but the 12 and Antique are increasingly rare and marked up in these parts, and my supply is at critical levels. I mean, I've got 5 bottles of Eagle Rare (it's everywhere I turn it seems) and even got a couple Blanton's, but I can't find Weller anywhere. If I do, they want WAY too much for it. I'm not paying 100 bucks for Antique or 200 for 12 yr. Eff that shit!

Any interest in trading 1 OWA for 1 Blantons? 

PM me - your box is full. 

RE: Bourbon - Donnyho - 01-06-2021

Ambassadors got the chance to sign up for The Bourbon Drop by Maker’s Mark yesterday. It’s a pretty interesting deal: you sign up and Maker’s sends you 2 bottles per season, along with some recipes and stuff. You also get a complementary tour and tasting for yourself and 3 guests at the distillery.

The bourbon you’ll get is described (by Maker’s Mark) as “ The good stuff. The new stuff. The classic stuff. The hard-to-find stuff.”. The first release is the 2019 and 2020 Wood Finishing Series for $149.99.

I signed up because it seems pretty interesting (I’m also an esteemed “Ambassador for Life”). Right now the program is only open to residents of KY and DC, and when I checked the page today they had stopped taking new sign ups. But if anyone is interested they should keep an eye out to see if it opens back up in the spring.

RE: Bourbon - MileHighGrowler - 01-21-2021

Anyone try Barrell? All cask strength, all batched so things change all the time. I picked up a bottle of Dovetail this week (not technically classified by the gov as bourbon because it's finished in rum, port and cabernet barrels). But it's a super complex and deep drink. I've only had a chance to sit down with it once, but its evolution was awesome and I really enjoyed it. Will definitely check out some other Barrell products in the future!

https://www.barrellbourbon.com/

RE: Bourbon - Donnyho - 01-21-2021

(01-06-2021, 06:34 PM)Donnyho Wrote: Ambassadors got the chance to sign up for The Bourbon Drop by Maker’s Mark yesterday. It’s a pretty interesting deal: you sign up and Maker’s sends you 2 bottles per season, along with some recipes and stuff. You also get a complementary tour and tasting for yourself and 3 guests at the distillery.

The bourbon you’ll get is described (by Maker’s Mark) as “ The good stuff. The new stuff. The classic stuff. The hard-to-find stuff.”. The first release is the 2019 and 2020 Wood Finishing Series for $149.99.

I signed up because it seems pretty interesting (I’m also an esteemed “Ambassador for Life”). Right now the program is only open to residents of KY and DC, and when I checked the page today they had stopped taking new sign ups. But if anyone is interested they should keep an eye out to see if it opens back up in the spring.

Got my Bourbon Drop yesterday. It’s pretty nice. The packaging and presentation are top notch. As long as the bottles in the Spring drop aren’t easily available and/or I already have them, I’ll be ordering it as well.

RE: Bourbon - MileHighGrowler - 01-27-2021

A buddy from Virginia brought me a bottle of Bowman Brothers Small Batch. Can't get it out here in CO, but retails around $30 out where he's at and I'd be pretty happy with it as a daily drinker. A little on the sweeter side, some definite brown sugar notes and a little cinnamon. Really easy and enjoyable. If I got it shipped it would be about $50, which is too much for it, but for the locals price, I'd keep it on the shelf consistently.

RE: Bourbon - Donnyho - 01-30-2021

Had a big fail today: I had to run to Kroger and as I drove past my local store I thought “I’ll just stop on the way back”. When I got there, a guy was checking out and he had a Blanton's, 1.75ml Weller SR and Henry McKenna 10 year. I actually have all three (1 Blanton's, 2 750ml Weller SR and 2 HM 10’s), but I still would have picked up the Blanton's.

RE: Bourbon - MileHighGrowler - 02-28-2021

Tried some 291 barrel proof a couple of days ago. It's a Colorado distillery and their unique edge is finishing the aging process in aspen wood. Gotta say, I didn't love it. The aspen flavor really came through and it was just odd to me. I think the bourbon would have been a lot more enjoyable without that, but it's their "thing" and I believe all of their products undergo the same treatment. Worth trying, but I wouldn't buy a bottle of it. Not sure if that's a distillery easy to access outside of the area here, but certainly something different!

RE: Bourbon - Sled21 - 02-28-2021

(08-13-2019, 03:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I drink Jameson Irish Whiskey.

I guess Jack Danial's would be my "bourbon" of choice.

Jack Daniels is not a bourbon...

(08-13-2019, 05:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: He is from Tennessee. He has got to hype the home brew. Everyone knows Bourbon is only made in the great state of Kentucky

That is not true either....

(08-14-2019, 01:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually now that I think about it I have probably drank more Makers Mark than Jack Danials.

Bourbon is just a type of whiskey that uses mostly corn and is aged in wooden barrels.

Whole lot more to it than that. Has to be 51% or more corn, aged in new charred white oak barrels, cannot have anything added or any filtration process to enhance or change the tast. Cannot be distilled at over 160 proof and cannot go into a barrel at more than 125 proof. Aging requirements, 2 years for straight bourbon, aged less than 4 years age must be on label, and be labeled with the youngest whiskey in the blend. Must be made in the United States.

Jack Daniels is charcoal filtered, hence, it cannot be a bourbon. It is simply a sour mash whiskey.

(09-07-2019, 07:04 PM)Wyche Wrote: They also had a bottle of 15 year IW Harper....85 bucks was a little too rich for my blood this weekend... LOL

Oh, it's very very good and worth every penny to sip by the fire.

(10-06-2019, 08:06 PM)Donnyho Wrote: Is anyone else a Makers Mark Ambassador? If you don’t know about the program, it’s pretty cool (and free). When you sign up they put your name on a new barrel and keep track of its aging. When your barrel is bottled, they send you the dates and you get a free tour of the distillery. After the tour you get to dip a bottle from your batch in the wax and they have special ambassador labels for them. Also you get gifts at Christmas every year. I’ve gotten everything from Makers Mark wrapping paper, to socks, to Christmas sweaters for the bourbon bottle. (I’m actually an “Ambassador for Life” now, since my barrel came up years ago).

I have been an Ambassador for decades and have enjoyed the yearly Christmas gifts, etc, and waxing my own bottles with my name on the label.

(08-11-2020, 05:45 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I picked up a bottle of Henry McKenna this weekend.  It’s a 10 year in bond.  Pretty good for around $60

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McKenna 10 was bourbon of the year about 2 years ago.

RE: Bourbon - Donnyho - 03-06-2021

My wife’s company was the sponsor of a charity event last night and they had a bourbon pull. $30 per entry and you’re guaranteed to get a bottle that costs at least that, with the chance of it being more expensive. There wasn’t a list of what was available, but Brown Foreman is a sponsor as well and there was a separate auction for a bottle of Birthday Bourbon, so figured I’d buy two chances and at worst I’d get 2 bottles of Woodford Reserve. I happened to check my credit card last night, and there weren’t any charges for my chances, just for the raffle ticket my wife had bought. My wife said “It probably didn’t go through. Just buy two more”. So I bought two more and it still didn’t show up on the cc and I didn’t get a receipt or anything. She said try again, so I bought one more. Now the screen tells me I purchased five chances. When I woke up this morning I had a $150 charge.

They still haven’t emailed me what I got, so fingers crossed that I don’t get 5 bottles of Woodford (which is good, but I don’t need 5)

RE: Bourbon - Jason_NC - 03-06-2021

I’ve been drinking Maker’s Mark Cask Strength lately. Good stuff!

RE: Bourbon - Donnyho - 03-06-2021

It's been pretty dry around here lately. Recently I've picked up bottles of Ancient Age, Wild Turkey 101, Old Grand Dad Bonded and Wilderness Trail bottled in bond. I'm up to 64 bottles, not counting back ups, which is something, I guess.

I am waiting for the spring Maker’s Mark Whiskey Drop, though. Hoping the new wood finishing series is one of the bottles.

RE: Bourbon - Donnyho - 03-09-2021

(03-06-2021, 05:51 PM)Donnyho Wrote: My wife’s company was the sponsor of a charity event last night and they had a bourbon pull. $30 per entry and you’re guaranteed to get a bottle that costs at least that, with the chance of it being more expensive. There wasn’t a list of what was available, but Brown Foreman is a sponsor as well and there was a separate auction for a bottle of Birthday Bourbon, so figured I’d buy two chances and at worst I’d get 2 bottles of Woodford Reserve. I happened to check my credit card last night, and there weren’t any charges for my chances, just for the raffle ticket my wife had bought. My wife said “It probably didn’t go through. Just buy two more”. So I bought two more and it still didn’t show up on the cc and I didn’t get a receipt or anything. She said try again, so I bought one more. Now the screen tells me I purchased five chances. When I woke up this morning I had a $150 charge.

They still haven’t emailed me what I got, so fingers crossed that I don’t get 5 bottles of Woodford (which is good, but I don’t need 5)

So they actually hand delivered my bourbons today. I got: 2 bottles of Elijah Craig, a Four Roses Small Batch, a 1792 Small Batch and a Jefferson’s Very Small batch. Nothing spectacular (I also had bottles of everything besides the Jefferson’s), but I’m not complaining. 

RE: Bourbon - Sled21 - 03-11-2021

(03-09-2021, 06:14 PM)Donnyho Wrote: So they actually hand delivered my bourbons today. I got: 2 bottles of Elijah Craig, a Four Roses Small Batch, a 1792 Small Batch and a Jefferson’s Very Small batch. Nothing spectacular (I also had bottles of everything besides the Jefferson’s), but I’m not complaining. 

I like the 4 Roses Small Batch over the 4 Roses single barrel. I've not had the Jefferson's Very Small Batch. Let me know what you think when you crack it.

RE: Bourbon - MileHighGrowler - 03-12-2021

Had some New Riff this past weekend while visiting my brother out east (can't find it out here, at least that I've ever seen). Solid, nothing earth-shattering. Super caramel on the palate. If it was $10 cheaper a bottle, I'd say it was a good deal, but felt pricey to me for the experience I had. I left the bottle (more than half full) with my brother so I didn't have to take it on the plane, if that says anything about my lack of passion toward it.

RE: Bourbon - jfkbengals - 03-12-2021

(03-11-2021, 01:10 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I like the 4 Roses Small Batch over the 4 Roses single barrel. I've not had the Jefferson's Very Small Batch. Let me know what you think when you crack it.

It's very good.  That was part of my birthday haul.  Their Ocean is also fantastic.