Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Westerman is considering retirement - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Westerman is considering retirement (/Thread-Westerman-is-considering-retirement)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Westerman is considering retirement - fredtoast - 08-20-2019

(08-20-2019, 12:19 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That said, if you can't make a roster spot on this bad offensive line...you're probably not long for the NFL.

I remember when all the O-line "experts" here claimed that Bodine was so bad that he would never make another team's roster.  Not only did Bodine make a roster, but he is the starter in Buffalo, and in 2018 FootballOutsiders ranked him in the top 20 among interiot linemen (OC/OG) in fewest missed blocks per snap.

No one shits on Bengal players more than some Bengal "fans".

RE: Westerman is considering retirement - THE PISTONS - 08-20-2019

(08-20-2019, 09:46 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I remember when all the O-line "experts" here claimed that Bodine was so bad that he would never make another team's roster.  Not only did Bodine make a roster, but he is the starter in Buffalo, and in 2018 FootballOutsiders ranked him in the top 20 among interiot linemen (OC/OG) in fewest missed blocks per snap.

So Bodine was obviously the case of coaching/scheme not fitting well. He absolutely graded out poorly as a Center here...but he started so he was our best option.

Westerman has had 3 different offensive line coaches and apparently failed to impress 3 of them...and he plays a position where we seem more than willing to try out alternate starters.

Aren't you in the camp that thinks Westerman likely wasn't starter material here or one of the coaches would have played him there?

RE: Westerman is considering retirement - fredtoast - 08-20-2019

(08-20-2019, 12:27 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So Bodine was obviously the case of coaching/scheme not fitting well.

So why couldn't that apply to Westerman also?

Plus I don't think the Bengals O-line is so bad that none of our players could make another roster.

RE: Westerman is considering retirement - spidey - 08-20-2019

(08-20-2019, 09:46 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I remember when all the O-line "experts" here claimed that Bodine was so bad that he would never make another team's roster.  Not only did Bodine make a roster, but he is the starter in Buffalo, and in 2018 FootballOutsiders ranked him in the top 20 among interiot linemen (OC/OG) in fewest missed blocks per snap.

That's wrong.  Bodine battled with another center last year and lost.  I believe that the Bills went back and forth between the 2 during the year because both were bad.  He is also currently third on their depth chart this year in the center position.  Bodine sucked.  Granted, he wasn't Ghiacuc or however you spell his last name bad but he was a terrible center.

RE: Westerman is considering retirement - pally - 08-20-2019

Bodine is being predicted as a cut from Bills media

(08-20-2019, 12:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So why couldn't that apply to Westerman also?

Plus I don't think the Bengals O-line is so bad that none of our players could make another roster.

Westerman has had 3 different coaches/schemes. You'd think one would be a fit whereas Bodine had Alexander his entire time here.

Bodine was 61.6 on PFF last year. Not great by any means but much better than Price who was in the upper 40's if I recall.

RE: Westerman is considering retirement - rfaulk34 - 08-20-2019

(08-20-2019, 01:07 PM)pally Wrote: Bodine is being predicted as a cut from Bills media

It's because he sucks, but some people just can't get off the horse and cease their Bengals fan crusade. It's like an opposing opinion is a slight against their mother and they're damned to let that happen on their watch. 

Tally ho!!!
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRTrOw4dWMsSfkvUUH4VUk...Q7oOxK9qpa]

RE: Westerman is considering retirement - XenoMorph - 08-20-2019

I think they gave westerman till tomorrow to make his decision...

RE: Westerman is considering retirement - lone bengal - 08-20-2019

(08-20-2019, 06:16 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I think they gave westerman till tomorrow to make his decision...

This may sound cut throat but I would have released Westerman when he told the team he was thinking about retiring your either all in or all out. I feel like if your not sure you want to play 3 weeks before the season starts then your not ready to play regardless if you decide to stay. It’s one thing if your a proven vet pondering retirement in the offseason vs. someone trying to make the team weeks before the opener.

RE: Westerman is considering retirement - psychdoctor - 08-20-2019

(08-20-2019, 06:16 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I think they gave westerman till tomorrow to make his decision...

I believe Westerman has until noon Wednesday 8/21/19 to make his decision. The interesting side bar is that ZT had a talk with Westerman Yesterday and had no additional information to share.  One thing I like about Taylor is he appears transparent where as Lewis was evasive as hell.  

But this tweet indicates he made his decision;

I find this a suspicious coincidence but it appears, Perkins and Westerman's issues are personal in nature and unconnected.

RE: Westerman is considering retirement - Nately120 - 08-20-2019

(08-20-2019, 09:14 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I believe Westerman has until noon Wednesday 8/21/19 to make his decision. The interesting side bar is that ZT had a talk with Westerman Yesterday and had no additional information to share.  One thing I like about Taylor is he appears transparent where as Lewis was evasive as hell.  

I know what you mean, but at the same time deciding whether a man's characteristics are positive or negative is very often a deductive decision.  Marvin wasn't a SB winning coach, so when he didn't talk he was being evasive or just a smug jerk with too much job security.  Meanwhile, Bill Bellichick refuses to answer questions and he's a shrewd genius who plays it close to the vest and wisely keeps his words of out the mouths of the media jackals.

If things go sideways this season and/or something big happens behind closed doors in Bengal-land I can see ZT being less transparent, or his transparent nature going from being transparent to having ship-sinking loose lips.

What ever is happening to these young offensive linemen, I hope it works out. There are more important things beyond a NFL football career. I wish Perkins, Boiling, and Westerman the very best.

RE: Westerman is considering retirement - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 08-20-2019

Paul Alexander...

Hilarious 

Doesn't even surprise me Bodine went to another team and did well under a decent O-line coach.

(08-20-2019, 09:40 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: What ever is happening to these young offensive linemen, I hope it works out.  There are more important things beyond a NFL football career.  I wish Perkins, Boiling, and Westerman the very best.

I just can't see giving up a job that pays $700k with health insurance no matter what. Especially if someone in the family is sick or something like that. That's when you need money and insurance.

(08-20-2019, 10:18 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I just can't see giving up a job that pays $700k with health insurance no matter what. Especially if someone in the family is sick or something like that. That's when you need money and insurance.

I thought NFL players get insurance, even if not with team.  I am not sure of this but I thought this was part of the collective bargaining agreement.  

RE: Westerman is considering retirement - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 08-20-2019

(08-20-2019, 09:14 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I believe Westerman has until noon Wednesday 8/21/19 to make his decision. The interesting side bar is that ZT had a talk with Westerman Yesterday and had no additional information to share.  One thing I like about Taylor is he appears transparent where as Lewis was evasive as hell.  

But this tweet indicates he made his decision;

Hope everything works out for Westerman and Perkins.

Westerman had a definite shot to start on this team so it is really perplexing he would give up a shot at a lot of dough like that and starting in the NFL after all these years working so hard.

(08-20-2019, 09:32 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I know what you mean, but at the same time deciding whether a man's characteristics are positive or negative is very often a deductive decision.  Marvin wasn't a SB winning coach, so when he didn't talk he was being evasive or just a smug jerk with too much job security.  Meanwhile, Bill Bellichick refuses to answer questions and he's a shrewd genius who plays it close to the vest and wisely keeps his words of out the mouths of the media jackals.

If things go sideways this season and/or something big happens behind closed doors in Bengal-land I can see ZT being less transparent, or his transparent nature going from being transparent to having ship-sinking loose lips.

And that will be interesting. Young coaches all probably think they can go in and turn a team around...but the same management team is here that hasn't won a single playoff game in 28+ years. And bam underwhelming offseason and injuries.

Time will tell...but it may test him.

I feel like after all this time that Marvin just broke. He seemed pretty down the past 2 years.

Normal organizations give a coach 3-4-5 years to win a playoff game. This management team gave him a decade and a half. That created strange circumstances.

I kinda wish Marvin went to another team at some point to see if he could win with normal management.

RE: Westerman is considering retirement - Whatever - 08-20-2019

Cedric Ogbuehi is still holding down the Jaguars RT job 2 weeks into the preseason.

Peeps are definitely overly critical of a lot of our players.

(08-20-2019, 11:25 PM)Whatever Wrote: Cedric Ogbuehi is still holding down the Jaguars RT job 2 weeks into the preseason.

Peeps are definitely overly critical of a lot of our players.

Yeah...how dare people criticize Ced here! He was so awesome!!!

Too bad the Bengals didn't extend him. Atleast they didn't let Hart get away!

Sarcasm