Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Gio gets 2 yr- 10.3m extension - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Gio gets 2 yr- 10.3m extension (/Thread-Gio-gets-2-yr-10-3m-extension)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Gio gets 2 yr- 10.3m extension - Bengalholic - 09-03-2019

RE: Bengals sign Gio to 2 yr - 10.3m extension - THE PISTONS - 09-03-2019

This flies in the face of the Williams and Anderson are here to replace Gio talk.

That's A LOT of salary for his level of production.

RE: Bengals sign Gio to 2 yr - 10.3m extension - J24 - 09-03-2019

So this means he's not going to be traded for Trent Williams? Well I am perplexed by this.

RE: Bengals extend Gio for 2 more years - THE PISTONS - 09-03-2019

That per year figure puts him just slightly outside the list of Top 10 RB's in yearly dollars. (The #10 back makes $6.2 million a year.)

RE: Bengals extend Gio for 2 more years - THE PISTONS - 09-03-2019

Over the past 3 seasons, Bernard's rushing totals: 337, 458, and 211 yards.

Receiving: 336, 389, and 218.

That's a huge per year salary for that level of production.

RE: Bengals extend Gio for 2 more years - fredtoast - 09-03-2019

I have always been a huge Gio fan, but this seems like a lot of money for a guy who is not even our feature back.

Maybe this means Gio will be getting a lot more touches than any of us suspect.

RE: Bengals extend Gio for 2 more years - WhodeyRay - 09-03-2019

Love Gio but this just proves even more that MB is not cheap just loyal to a fault and a complete fool with how he spends the cap.

RE: Gio gets 2 yr- 10.3m extension - THE PISTONS - 09-03-2019

(09-03-2019, 01:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have always been a huge Gio fan, but this seems like a lot of money for a guy who is not even our feature back.

Maybe this means Gio will be getting a lot more touches than any of us suspect.

I wonder if they did this with an eye on Gordon holding out for the Chargers and Elliott for the Cowboys thinking Mixon may do the same...and having Gio as the fallback option?

RE: Gio gets 2 yr- 10.3m extension - SunsetBengal - 09-03-2019

(09-03-2019, 01:50 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Over the past 3 seasons, Bernard's rushing totals: 337, 458, and 211 yards.

He's also been one of Andy's best friends at times.  He's really good at picking up the blitz..

But yes, that does seem really high for a 3rd down/change of pace back.

RE: Gio gets 2 yr- 10.3m extension - SunsetBengal - 09-03-2019

(09-03-2019, 01:59 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I wonder if they did this with an eye on Gordon holding out for the Chargers and Elliott for the Cowboys thinking Mixon may do the same...and having Gio as the fallback option?

Hmm, maybe.  But, as far as I can remember, Gio has gotten dinged up just about every time they've used him as the primary back.

(09-03-2019, 02:01 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hmm, maybe.  But, as far as I can remember, Gio has gotten dinged up just about every time they've used him as the primary back.

Yep. He's not a primary back.

They have to be worried about retaining Mixon though.

(09-03-2019, 02:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: He's also been one of Andy's best friends at times.  He's really good at picking up the blitz..

But yes, that does seem really high for a 3rd down/change of pace back.

He definitely is a guy you want on a roster...but to pay him like a Top 12-15 back seems really high.

RE: Bengals extend Gio for 2 more years - Shake n Blake - 09-03-2019

(09-03-2019, 01:45 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: This flies in the face of the Williams and Anderson are here to replace Gio talk.

I love Gio as a person and he's alright as a player, but he has the 14th biggest cap hit at RB this season, which doesn't match his production (he was 71st in yards/scrimmage among RBs last year). He's also fairly fragile. They must really love him in the building.

I was hoping we'd work his salary down as he aged...not up.

(09-03-2019, 02:04 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I love Gio as a person and he's alright as a player, but he has the 14th biggest cap hit at RB this season, which doesn't match his production (he was 71st in yards/scrimmage among RBs last year). He's also fairly fragile. They must really love him in the building. I was hoping we'd work his salary down as he aged...not up.

It's as if they don't know what they're doing...

RE: Gio gets 2 yr- 10.3m extension - treee - 09-03-2019

This FO never fails to baffle me.

RE: Gio gets 2 yr- 10.3m extension - pally - 09-03-2019

(09-03-2019, 01:45 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: This flies in the face of the Williams and Anderson are here to replace Gio talk.

or it means Zacc plans to actually use Gio unlike our unimaginative OCs of the last several years

RE: Gio gets 2 yr- 10.3m extension - Whodey614 - 09-03-2019

I didn't expect Gio to be resigned this early but it makes sense if you think about it. Rodney Anderson, who could definitely be a great #2, can't and may never stay healthy. Williams didn't look impressive and the idea that a rookie can fill Gio's role is not as easy as it seems. Just look at Mark Walton last year. Gio is good enough to lean on for 2-3 games if Mixon gets banged up again.

Zac values the RB in his offense so I think his role will definitely increase. May also see some looks with him in the slot. He's been criminally underused for the last few seasons. The numbers aren't sounding favorable but the extension overall is fine as long as he gets the looks that we think he'll get in this new system.

RE: Gio gets 2 yr- 10.3m extension - lone bengal - 09-03-2019

Surprised he got an extension but I think it’s unfair to say his numbers weren’t great when he’s been underutilized with the Bengals. I think Bernard can be utilized more in the passing game creating miss matches. The Patriots are one of the best teams in utilizing there backs in the passing game with guys like James White. The Chiefs also do a great job using there backs in the passing game, same with the Panthers and McCaffrey. Let’s start exposing other teams linebackers in coverage.

RE: Gio gets 2 yr- 10.3m extension - XenoMorph - 09-03-2019

(09-03-2019, 01:50 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Over the past 3 seasons, Bernard's rushing totals: 337, 458, and 211 yards.

he offense is suppose to be RB heavy... so we will see...

RE: Gio gets 2 yr- 10.3m extension - Au165 - 09-03-2019

I wonder if this is Mixon insurance. I'd need to look at the full contract details, but part of me feels like this is preemptive posturing for a looming negotiation with Joe next year, who has already stated he believes HB's should be valued higher than they are.