Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
So...was Marvin holding Ross back? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: So...was Marvin holding Ross back? (/Thread-So-was-Marvin-holding-Ross-back)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

So...was Marvin holding Ross back? - Shake n Blake - 09-08-2019

All it took was 1 game without Marvin - with an offensive minded HC - for Ross and Dalton to have career days. Does anyone on here still question the impact of coaching and schemes? Sure, we've got a long ways to go, but that was a pretty incredible start. Ross looked like the guy we thought we were drafting. Dalton could be headed for a career year. Amazing that they did this against a top defense on the road, with no AJ Green and no run game.

RE: So...was Marvin holding Ross back? - NKURyan - 09-08-2019

I think I know where this thread will go (someone light the Fred signal), but I *think* I'll give Marvin a bit of a pass on this one.

I expected Ross to play a lot better under a new offensive staff, but I thought it would be more through being used on bubble screens, crossing routes, and things like that which he wasn't necessarily getting under Zampese/Lazor. I don't think they necessarily called the game for Ross much differently, he was just a better player and was able to take advantage of it.

RE: So...was Marvin holding Ross back? - McC - 09-08-2019

(09-08-2019, 09:44 PM)NKURyan Wrote: I think I know where this thread will go (someone light the Fred signal), but I *think* I'll give Marvin a bit of a pass on this one.

I expected Ross to play a lot better under a new offensive staff, but I thought it would be more through being used on bubble screens, crossing routes, and things like that which he wasn't necessarily getting under Zampese/Lazor. I don't think they necessarily called the game for Ross much differently, he was just a better player and was able to take advantage of it.

Yes and no.  The one pass that he dropped, the one with the wide open sideline in from of him, that was a beautiful play design, the likes of which Zampese and Lazor could never have created.

(09-08-2019, 09:40 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: All it took was 1 game without Marvin - with an offensive minded HC - for Ross and Dalton to have career days. Does anyone on here still question the impact of coaching and schemes? Sure, we've got a long ways to go, but that was a pretty incredible start. Ross looked like the guy we thought we were drafting. Dalton could be headed for a career year. Amazing that they did this against a top defense on the road, with no AJ Green and no run game.

Let me just say this about that---the results speak for themselves.  

(09-08-2019, 09:47 PM)McC Wrote: Yes and no.  The one pass that he dropped, the one with the wide open sideline in from of him, that was a beautiful play design, the likes of which Zampese and Lazor could never have created.

Fleaflicker was also a great play design.

RE: So...was Marvin holding Ross back? - bengaloo - 09-08-2019

We targeted Ross a lot more today and in better ways than we did ast year. Ross also made some nice catches to makeup for a couple drops. Not bad for missing all of training camp.

RE: So...was Marvin holding Ross back? - BengalsRocker - 09-08-2019

Well it's interesting and I'm not going to crap on the notion.

Yet I'm gonna reserve my opinion to more than one game about both ZT and Ross.

Kind of hard to make assumptions from such a small sample.

Granted I don't need 16 frickin' years! LMAO

RE: So...was Marvin holding Ross back? - Essex Johnson - 09-08-2019

He held himself back, but maturity and a new coach might move him .. it's just 1 game, he needs to be consistent. ie dont disappear next week

RE: So...was Marvin holding Ross back? - Brimey - 09-08-2019

We had guys running open and a few missed because of slipping, a poor throw or drops. That needs cleaned up, but the Zac Taylor playbook looked excellent. I'm excited to see more

RE: So...was Marvin holding Ross back? - Bengalfan4life27c - 09-08-2019

its obvious to me even before todays game Marvin was holding the entire team back. we have close to the same roster as last year. Yet this season through 1 game at least we look like a competent NFL team

(09-08-2019, 09:48 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Fleaflicker was also a great play design.

It sure was.

And slightly off topic--did anyone but me think the one pass that was called incomplete and then denied on the challenge actually was a catch?

(09-08-2019, 09:50 PM)McC Wrote: It sure was.

And slightly off topic--did anyone but me think the one pass that was called incomplete and then denied on the challenge actually was a catch?

I thought it was about as close as could be. I wasn't surprised it was called a no catch.

RE: So...was Marvin holding Ross back? - bfine32 - 09-08-2019

Marvin is gone.

RE: So...was Marvin holding Ross back? - Rubekahn29 - 09-08-2019

(09-08-2019, 09:50 PM)McC Wrote: It sure was.

Looked like a catch to me. They are big on not overturning their own calls. 

RE: So...was Marvin holding Ross back? - bengalfan74 - 09-08-2019

(09-08-2019, 09:40 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: All it took was 1 game without Marvin - with an offensive minded HC - for Ross and Dalton to have career days. Does anyone on here still question the impact of coaching and schemes? Sure, we've got a long ways to go, but that was a pretty incredible start. Ross looked like the guy we thought we were drafting. Dalton could be headed for a career year. Amazing that they did this against a top defense on the road, with no AJ Green and no run game.

There's no doubt Marvin was holding the whole team back for anyone who really pulls off their blinders and looks.

RE: So...was Marvin holding Ross back? - fredtoast - 09-08-2019

It is impossible to say. Ross may have just worked himself through his problems and would have flourished under Marvin this year.

And if you want to give all the credit to Zac then you lo have to give him all the blame for our running game. Mixon sure looked better when Marvin was coach.

RE: So...was Marvin holding Ross back? - jason - 09-08-2019

I think / hope that we saw a young man getting outta his head, and playing football today. Still had a couple drops, but damn... I've criticized the guy quite a bit, and hated the pick, but if this is a sign of things to come...

RE: So...was Marvin holding Ross back? - George Cantstandya - 09-08-2019

Ross had the game of his life. It seemed obvious that part of the game plan included him (the flea flicker) and that Andy seems to trust trowing to him as he was targeted 12 times for 7 receptions. Hopefully this wasn't a fluke as I want him to live up to his 1st round pick.

(09-08-2019, 09:54 PM)jason Wrote: I think / hope that we saw a young man getting outta his head, and playing football today. Still had a couple drops, but damn... I've criticized the guy quite a bit, and hated the pick, but if this is a sign of things to come...

He always struck me as a guy who just desperately needed some confidence. Hopefully this game gives it to him. I think the fact that he bounced back from that one easy drop on the sideline with the huge TD before the half was a giant step and hopefully shows him what he is capable of.

(09-08-2019, 09:54 PM)jason Wrote: I think / hope that we saw a young man getting outta his head, and playing football today. Still had a couple drops, but damn... I've criticized the guy quite a bit, and hated the pick, but if this is a sign of things to come...

The TD on a very good catch right after the drop that shoulda been a TD was monumental.