Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Thoughts after a few weeks... - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Thoughts after a few weeks... (/Thread-Thoughts-after-a-few-weeks)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: Thoughts after a few weeks... - J24 - 09-17-2019

(09-17-2019, 02:37 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Going into the season with 3 mediocre LBers and 1 rookie LB seemed like a bad idea...

Mediocre is being nice 
2 bad, 1 meh, 1 rookie.

(09-17-2019, 06:30 PM)Brimey Wrote: Wait, why Phillips? He showed some promise in the preseason

Phillips is #24 now and Webb is #23

RE: Thoughts after a few weeks... - Brimey - 09-17-2019

(09-17-2019, 07:06 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Phillips is #24 now and Webb is #23

Does the staff know that? May explain some things

RE: Thoughts after a few weeks... - Nicomo Cosca - 09-17-2019

(09-17-2019, 03:57 PM)OswaldsLegacy Wrote: There is a word that describes you pretty well....

Knowledgeable?

(09-17-2019, 07:20 PM)Brimey Wrote: Does the staff know that? May explain some things

IDK

RE: Thoughts after a few weeks... - OswaldsLegacy - 09-17-2019

(09-17-2019, 04:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Andy actually has not been in that position very often, but he was driving us to a victory against the Texans in 2015 when Green gave the game away with a fumble with 50 seconds left.  Dalton was 6-8 for 66 yards driving us from our own 18 to the Texans 20 with juts 50 seconds left. Can't blame him for another players fumble.

Dalton also drove us to what should have been a victory against the Texans in 2016.  He completed 7 of 8 passes to drive us from our own 15 to the Texan 25 yard line but Bullock shanked the game winning FG on the last play of the game.

Other than those games there have only been 3 other Sunday night or Monday night games that we lost by one score that Andy could have won "late".  Two of those games were actually tied when the Bengal defense gave up drives that ended with game winning FGs on the final play (Cards '15, Steelers '17).  The only other one was against the Giants in '16.  In that game Dalton was sacked twice in a row with 4 minutes left and never got the ball back in a 20-21 loss.

So out of five situations you reference Dalton did his job in two of them, and the defense let him down in two of them.

Careful here, this type of thinking doesn't seem to be allowed here.  As a poster said... it is all "What ifs".  It has to be on the QB if his WR drops passes that hit them in the hands.  Likewise if a QB throws a pass with his left hand 3 yards and his WR makes the catch and turns up field for the 1st down, then you totally have to give credit to the QB.  There is no room to analyze the play and say that it could have ended badly, or positively, you can only accept how it played out.

(09-17-2019, 08:02 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Knowledgeable?

If you think just repeating ESPN and Skip Bayless means knowledgeable while using the basic "Bye Felicia" then sure.

(09-17-2019, 06:39 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: I have never seen a team win a super Bowl without winning a playoff game. 

True... but just because a QB wins 1 playoff game that doesn't make them good.

Tebow?

RE: Thoughts after a few weeks... - Nicomo Cosca - 09-17-2019

(09-17-2019, 09:36 PM)OswaldsLegacy Wrote: True... but just because a QB wins 1 playoff game that doesn't make them good.

Tebow?

Why do so many of Dalton’s biggest cheerleaders feel the need to constantly downplay what other QB’s do/have done?

Tebow sucked, but he still won a playoff game, against a good Pittsburgh team, where he passed for 2 TD’s and rushed for another, and had a 125 PR...

We would kill for a playoff performance like that.

RE: Thoughts after a few weeks... - Nately120 - 09-17-2019

(09-17-2019, 09:36 PM)OswaldsLegacy Wrote: True... but just because a QB wins 1 playoff game that doesn't make them good.

Tebow?

Meh, I have a feeling if Dalton were to beat the Steelers in a playoff game your view on what that one measly win means would change drastically. 

(09-17-2019, 10:03 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Why do so many of Dalton’s biggest cheerleaders feel the need to constantly downplay what other QB’s do/have done?

Tebow sucked, but he still won a playoff game, against a good Pittsburgh team, where he passed for 2 TD’s and rushed for another,  and had a 125 PR...

Why do so many of Dalton's biggest boo birds feel the need to conflate what other QBs do/ have done?

Did Tebow win the playoff game?  Or was in the Denver Broncos?  Those 2 TDs were caught right?  Could have easily been dropped. 

Did Tebow play defense?  I must have missed him stopping the Steelers offense and keeping the game close.

Again this isn't about Dalton, but how people like you evaluate QBs. 

I am not looking at stats, instead I am looking at it as a whole.  If Tebow, who is considered a bad QB, can win a playoff game, then so can Dalton.

I have brought up Foles before.  Foles hasn't just won a playoff game, he has a SB win.  Who do you think is the better QB?  To me they are both good, I think Dalton makes better decisions, but Foles has better measurables. Both can get the job done but neither will ever be called "dynamic". 

Going back to MVP.  If Mahomes is so good because he has MVP, then Foles has to be great because he has a SB ring and SB MVP award.  Which one of these trumps the other?  Which one would you rather your QB have?

(09-17-2019, 10:27 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Meh, I have a feeling if Dalton were to beat the Steelers in a playoff game your view on what that one measly win means would change drastically. 

Nope.  It wouldn't.  Evidently it would on here.  The problem is most on here don't seem to want Dalton to have another shot at the post season as a Bengal.

I don't doubt that if Dalton were to go to another team that he would the same QB.  That team could easily make the playoffs and he could win one.  All the while the "dynamic" QB that we replaced Dalton with would fail to make the post season. Then all of the boo birds would refuse to admit that maybe... just maybe... QB wasn't the problem.

(09-17-2019, 10:41 PM)OswaldsLegacy Wrote: Nope.  It wouldn't.  Evidently it would on here.  The problem is most on here don't seem to want Dalton to have another shot at the post season as a Bengal.

I don't doubt that if Dalton were to go to another team that he would the same QB.  That team could easily make the playoffs and he could win one.  All the while the "dynamic" QB that we replaced Dalton with would fail to make the post season. Then all of the boo birds would refuse to admit that maybe... just maybe... QB wasn't the problem.

We are on the verge of having our 4th losing season in a row, so wanting Dalton to play in a playoff game is irrelevant.  Im not saying replacing Dalton is essential but this whole "don't rock the boat" mantra played a lot better when we weren't rattling off losing seasons like it was the 90s.

RE: Thoughts after a few weeks... - rfaulk34 - 09-17-2019

(09-17-2019, 09:31 PM)OswaldsLegacy Wrote: Careful here, this type of thinking doesn't seem to be allowed here.  As a poster said... it is all "What ifs".  It has to be on the QB if his WR drops passes that hit them in the hands.  Likewise if a QB throws a pass with his left hand 3 yards and his WR makes the catch and turns up field for the 1st down, then you totally have to give credit to the QB.  There is no room to analyze the play and say that it could have ended badly, or positively, you can only accept how it played out.

You're side stepping the issue again. He's been in position to make the throw and missed it every time.

And you'd be better off not building up strawman arguments to knock down. People can sniff those out a mile away and it makes you look less intelligent, as though you don't understand what is being discussed. 

(09-17-2019, 09:33 PM)OswaldsLegacy Wrote: If you think just repeating ESPN and Skip Bayless means knowledgeable while using the basic "Bye Felicia" then sure.

Show me where ESPN or Skip Bayless or anyone alive today has stated what i stated. 

Show me just one person on this entire earth that has stated it or anything close to it.

(09-17-2019, 10:03 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Why do so many of Dalton’s biggest cheerleaders feel the need to constantly downplay what other QB’s do/have done?

Tebow sucked, but he still won a playoff game, against a good Pittsburgh team, where he passed for 2 TD’s and rushed for another,  and had a 125 PR...

It makes a lot of sense, doesn't it? They tear the other guy down and don't give him the benefit of the excuses, yet they raise up all kinds of excuses why Dalton couldn't or didn't or could or should, "if".

Do they not see the hypocrisy in that? Seriously?

RE: Thoughts after a few weeks... - THE PISTONS - 09-17-2019

I put the Seattle loss more on Dalton and Taylor than the SF Game. The SF Game loss was on the defense and somewhat coaches for not figuring out how to run the ball.

(09-17-2019, 10:27 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Meh, I have a feeling if Dalton were to beat the Steelers in a playoff game your view on what that one measly win means would change drastically. 

It would be used as the crown jewel of why Dalton should be considered a top 10 QB. 

(09-17-2019, 10:57 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I put the Seattle loss more on Dalton and Taylor than the SF Game. The SF Game loss was on the defense and somewhat coaches for not figuring out how to run the ball.

The defense sucked super hard, but our offense got into a shootout and had 1 TD in them and that was it until the game had been over for hours and Ross scored.

RE: Thoughts after a few weeks... - Socal Bengals fan - 09-17-2019

(09-17-2019, 10:03 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Why do so many of Dalton’s biggest cheerleaders feel the need to constantly downplay what other QB’s do/have done?

Tebow sucked, but he still won a playoff game, against a good Pittsburgh team, where he passed for 2 TD’s and rushed for another, and had a 125 PR...

What re you talking about. Dalton is clutch. Remember against the Chargers when we needed an xtra yard and he dove for it only to fumble it away. Or the playoff game against the Texans when he over threw an open A.J. green in the final seconds. He’s been nothing but money in the playoffs