Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Draft Every Pick O Line - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: Draft Central (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Draft-Central)
+--- Thread: Draft Every Pick O Line (/Thread-Draft-Every-Pick-O-Line)

Pages: 1 2

Draft Every Pick O Line - kevin - 10-03-2019

....because that is how stinking bad Bengals blocking has been last 3 years. Bengals will never win more than 4 games until they get blocking in here ASAP. If they have 7 picks, draft 7 O Linemen. Bengals are one of the worst O Lines ever in the history of the NFL, they are THAT BAD. Maybe if they draft 7 blockers, a couple of them turn out to be good. There is safety in numbers. Draft nothing but blockers.

I know, you people want a top pick QB behind this awful O Line. You want to see him get killed and injured, why I do not know.

RE: Draft Every Pick O Line - J24 - 10-03-2019

I would prefer us to sign a RT like Bryan Bulaga, resign Hopkins, and with Jonah coming back our Offensive line could be an asset next season. Miller hasn't bee terrible ( expect for this past Monday) and I have hope for Price at Guard.
Still to your point we should draft one or two lineman early in the draft.

RE: Draft Every Pick O Line - Goalpost - 10-03-2019

It's got to be more of a scouting and development issue. I mean in our current state, we would probably draft 7 Cedric Ogbuehi's doing this.

RE: Draft Every Pick O Line - ochocincos - 10-04-2019

I too don't think the Bengals need 4 OL starters next year. They drafted Jonah Williams to be a starter at OT. Give him the chance to do that. Hopkins needs to be a priority re-sign, and John Miller has been serviceable. Between OT, LG, and RG, I think RG is the lowest priority to try to replace.

With that said, if the Bengals were to go to the draft, here's my early simulated selections for 3 rounds if team went all OL (expecting Top 3 pick):
1) Andrew Thomas, OT Georgia - Thomas has proven he can play both RT and LT. If the Bengals don't sign a FA OT, I'd love to see Thomas drafted and have him bookend with Williams.

2) Trey Adams, OT Washington - Once a surefire first rounder franchise LT but multiple years with injuries (ACL, back) have kept him from going to the NFL so far. He appears healthy now and seems to be good once again. For the record, I realize someone with injury is a risk and I am fine with avoiding Adams due to his injury history.

3) Logan Stenberg, OG UK - Strong run blocker and a lot of experience at the LG spot. I could see him going in Rd 2 but I felt too early to pick him at the top of Rd 2. If the team found all of Thomas, Adams, and Williams to be good starters, I could see Stenberg replacing Miller at RG rather than slotting him at LG.

RE: Draft Every Pick O Line - psychdoctor - 10-04-2019

(10-04-2019, 11:09 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I too don't think the Bengals need 4 OL starters next year. They drafted Jonah Williams to be a starter at OT. Give him the chance to do that. Hopkins needs to be a priority re-sign, and John Miller has been serviceable. Between OT, LG, and RG, I think RG is the lowest priority to try to replace.

With that said, if the Bengals were to go to the draft, here's my early simulated selections for 3 rounds if team went all OL (expecting Top 3 pick):
1) Andrew Thomas, OT Georgia - Thomas has proven he can play both RT and LT. If the Bengals don't sign a FA OT, I'd love to see Thomas drafted and have him bookend with Williams.

2) Trey Adams, OT Washington - Once a surefire first rounder franchise LT but multiple years with injuries (ACL, back) have kept him from going to the NFL so far. He appears healthy now and seems to be good once again. For the record, I realize someone with injury is a risk and I am fine with avoiding Adams due to his injury history.

3) Logan Stenberg, OG UK - Strong run blocker and a lot of experience at the LG spot. I could see him going in Rd 2 but I felt too early to pick him at the top of Rd 2. If the team found all of Thomas, Adams, and Williams to be good starters, I could see Stenberg replacing Miller at RG rather than slotting him at LG.

If the Cincinnati Bengals goes anywhere near  Adams with his injury history they're going to be some serious issues around here.

RE: Draft Every Pick O Line - ochocincos - 10-04-2019

(10-04-2019, 04:09 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: If the Cincinnati Bengals goes anywhere near  Adams with his injury history they're going to be some serious issues around here.

You can almost guarantee they would view Adams as a bargain due to his injury history though.

Personally though, if I were doing an actual mock, I'd swap the 2nd rounder for a WR, LB, or QB depending on who is still there.

RE: Draft Every Pick O Line - Fan_in_Kettering - 10-04-2019

I would be perfectly content drafting the best offensive lineman on the board all seven rounds.

With that said, Cincinnati desperately needs a real offensive line coach. Jim Turner turns maulers into marshmallows.

RE: Draft Every Pick O Line - SunsetBengal - 10-04-2019

(10-04-2019, 07:40 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I would be perfectly content drafting the best offensive lineman on the board all seven rounds.

With that said, Cincinnati desperately needs a real offensive line coach.  Jim Turner turns maulers into marshmallows.

This may sound like a bit of minimization on my part, but I attribute the OL's woes to 3 unexpected happenings.  Obviously, the Jonah Williams injury.  They selected the #1 OL prospect in the entire draft, with the grit to shine in the rugged SEC conference.  Who in a lifetime would have expected to tear a rotator cuff in a non-padded practice session?  Second, the surprise retirement of Clint Boling.  He was by far the best OL on the team, ever since they let Whitworth go.  Not just for his physical abilities, but his experience and leadership is sorely missed.  Lastly, the enigma that is the Cordy Glenn concussion recovery/everlasting concussion TBI syndrome.

Before those three events happened, the team seemed to have a plan at OL, and most of us saw it as a logical and feasible plan.  Now, were working with a washed up veteran and a premature rookie holding down the Left side of the OL.  When you're in that situation, it's not going to be pretty, no matter who's doing the coaching or what schemes you're trying to run.

Now with that said, I don't feel like they need to spend an absurd amount of picks on OL next draft.  I anticipate a full recovery for Jonah Williams, just as I see Michael Jordan getting great developmental time, as he's taking his lumps out there.  So, I would like to see them draft one Tackle in the early rounds, and another mid-round Guard.  Hopkins is holding down the Center position, with Price backing and also at Guard.  With a full compliment of players, they likely wouldn't have been half bad.

RE: Draft Every Pick O Line - Jpoore - 10-06-2019

(10-04-2019, 04:09 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: If the Cincinnati Bengals goes anywhere near  Adams with his injury history they're going to be some serious issues around here.

Getting a top 5 player in the draft in the 2nd round who has top 5 nfl tackle potential h have to take that risk imo.

RE: Draft Every Pick O Line - SunsetBengal - 10-06-2019

(10-06-2019, 09:34 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Getting a top 5 player in the draft in the 2nd round who has top 5 nfl tackle potential h have to take that risk imo.

After seeing how things turned out with the Bengals selection of Cedric Ogbuehi and Billy Price, I think that I'm going to have to agree with Doc on this one.

RE: Draft Every Pick O Line - J24 - 10-07-2019

(10-06-2019, 09:51 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: After seeing how things turned out with the Bengals selection of Cedric Ogbuehi and Billy Price, I think that I'm going to have to agree with Doc on this one.

Cedric was never good in college anyways and Billy was always better at Guard then Center. They weren't bad draft picks because of injury but instead they were bad because they were bad.

RE: Draft Every Pick O Line - psychdoctor - 10-07-2019

(10-07-2019, 02:27 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Cedric was never good in college anyways and Billy was always better at Guard then Center. They weren't bad draft picks because of injury but instead they were bad because they were bad.

Price has not looked good at guard to me and he cannot even beat out Jordan or Miller.  Bengals better get their QB with the first pick.  Austin Jackson is a stud and maybe can be had at later first round.  

RE: Draft Every Pick O Line - Nati#1 - 10-07-2019

Draft 2 offensive guards or 1 guard and 1 tackle

RE: Draft Every Pick O Line - Hammerstripes - 10-07-2019

(10-04-2019, 07:40 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I would be perfectly content drafting the best offensive lineman on the board all seven rounds.

With that said, Cincinnati desperately needs a real offensive line coach.  Jim Turner turns maulers into marshmallows.

I wouldn't.  You can't ignore the other needs on this team.  If we could hit on an OT, this line would be in pretty good shape.  You already have one first round talent sitting on IR that is going to play next year.

In reality, LT, C, RG are probably set next year.  I'm guessing they will also roll with Jordan/Price at LG.  My worry is that they don't bring in any competition for Hart.

RE: Draft Every Pick O Line - BoomerFan - 10-08-2019

Problem is, if you get multiple talented players their contracts will all come due at the same time.

We should pick Oline with one of our first three picks and keep working on it every year until we are...far better than we currently our. That said, Jonah Williams will be back next year so you don't want to over-react to the current situation, awful though we may be.

RE: Draft Every Pick O Line - Fan_in_Kettering - 10-08-2019

(10-03-2019, 02:46 AM)kevin Wrote: ....because that is how stinking bad Bengals blocking has been last 3 years. Bengals will never win more than 4 games until they get blocking in here ASAP. If they have 7 picks, draft 7 O Linemen. Bengals are one of the worst O Lines ever in the history of the NFL, they are THAT BAD. Maybe if they draft 7 blockers, a couple of them turn out to be good. There is safety in numbers. Draft nothing but blockers.

I know, you people want a top pick QB behind this awful O Line. You want to see him get killed and injured, why I do not know.

I’m totally in agreement. This offensive line would get any quarterback hurt. They can’t run block either. I know hotshot quarterbacks get all the press but no quarterback has ever succeeded behind a line which couldn’t block.

One of my best friends, a total Andy Dalton doubter, went to the game on Sunday against the Cardinals and walked out of Paul Brown Stadium a changed man. My friend saw how bad the offensive line was at pass blocking but he also noticed the Cardinals immediately adjusted against Joe Mixon after the first series.

RE: Draft Every Pick O Line - rfaulk34 - 10-09-2019

(10-03-2019, 04:16 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: I would prefer us to sign a RT like Bryan Bulaga, resign Hopkins, and with Jonah coming back our Offensive line could be an asset next season. Miller hasn't bee terrible ( expect for this past Monday) and I have hope for Price at Guard.
Still to your point we should draft one or two lineman early in the draft.

Why in the world would you sign a 31 year old Bulaga when a 25 year old Conklin will be out there?

(10-08-2019, 08:29 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I’m totally in agreement.  This offensive line would get any quarterback hurt.  They can’t run block either.  I know hotshot quarterbacks get all the press but no quarterback has ever succeeded behind a line which couldn’t block.

One of my best friends, a total Andy Dalton doubter, went to the game on Sunday against the Cardinals and walked out of Paul Brown Stadium a changed man.  My friend saw how bad the offensive line was at pass blocking but he also noticed the Cardinals immediately adjusted against Joe Mixon after the first series.

So, your friend watched the Bengals best pass blocking effort of the season--77.4 pass blocking grade (ONE sack)--and left the game, going from a Dalton doubter to "a changed man"?

Cool

RE: Draft Every Pick O Line - Fan_in_Kettering - 10-09-2019

(10-09-2019, 12:46 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: So, your friend watched the Bengals best pass blocking effort of the season--77.4 pass blocking grade (ONE sack)--and left the game, going from a Dalton doubter to "a changed man"?

Cool

Pass blocking is about far more than allowing sacks.

Thirty minutes later...

...and please allow me to expand on this. Pass blocking is an art. It really is. More than just keeping a quarterback upright, good pass blocking forms a pocket and great pass blocking moves a pocket. Only the greatest offensive lines form a pocket, move a pocket, and expand a pocket. If you watch any New England game you’ll see this and if you’ve ever wondered why Tom Brady has so much time to go through his progressions and throw this is it.

Also, the Cincinnati offensive line can’t run block well either. I haven’t seen guards pull or anything like that all year. It’s just “push and hope.”

This isn’t about Andy Dalton. This is about fundamental football which has been missing in this town for far too long.

(10-09-2019, 07:50 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Pass blocking is about far more than allowing sacks.

Thirty minutes later...

...and please allow me to expand on this.  Pass blocking is an art.  It really is.  More than just keeping a quarterback upright, good pass blocking forms a pocket and great pass blocking moves a pocket.  Only the greatest offensive lines form a pocket, move a pocket, and expand a pocket.  If you watch any New England game you’ll see this and if you’ve ever wondered why Tom Brady has so much time to go through his progressions and throw this is it.

Also, the Cincinnati offensive line can’t run block well either.  I haven’t seen guards pull or anything like that all year.  It’s just “push and hope.”

This isn’t about Andy Dalton.  This is about fundamental football which has been missing in this town for far too long.

Right...

Anyway, I wasn't talking about AD. I was talking about the line and their performance.