Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Game of Thrones - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Entertainment (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Entertainment)
+--- Thread: Game of Thrones (/Thread-Game-of-Thrones)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

RE: Game of Thrones - XenoMorph - 05-16-2016

(05-16-2016, 11:42 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: I think HBO has gotten a little tired of the indeterminable amount of time they will need to wait for upcoming books. It's hard to keep that many actors together year-after-year. I'm curious as to what their deal is with Martin and how much creative input he retains with the TV show. Is he leaking the end game details to them, which he will write over the next 10+ years (providing he lives that long)? 

martin has outlined the end game for them...   they are beyond the books now I don't think martin is involved anymore as the tv show has become its own thing.

RE: Game of Thrones - CKwi88 - 05-16-2016

(05-16-2016, 11:42 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: I think HBO has gotten a little tired of the indeterminable amount of time they will need to wait for upcoming books. It's hard to keep that many actors together year-after-year. I'm curious as to what their deal is with Martin and how much creative input he retains with the TV show. Is he leaking the end game details to them, which he will write over the next 10+ years (providing he lives that long)? 

True. Martin has taken so long that the books have been figured out for the most part. I think I remember reading that Martin "tested" the showrunners with the Jon Snow parentage question.

The ending has largely been figured out. The show will probably be more direct while Martin will have a more convoluted path in the books, for better or worse.

RE: Game of Thrones - XenoMorph - 05-16-2016

(05-16-2016, 11:53 AM)CKwi88 Wrote: True. Martin has taken so long that the books have been figured out for the most part. I think I remember reading that Martin "tested" the showrunners with the Jon Snow parentage question.

The ending has largely been figured out. The show will probably be more direct while Martin will have a more convoluted path in the books, for better or worse.

ending of the books.....  White walkers kill everyone..

Seems fitting no?

RE: Game of Thrones - basballguy - 05-16-2016

(05-16-2016, 11:59 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: ending of the books.....  White walkers kill everyone..

Seems fitting no?

That sounds like a GRRM ending.

RE: Game of Thrones - JustWinBaby - 05-16-2016

(05-16-2016, 11:42 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: I think HBO has gotten a little tired of the indeterminable amount of time they will need to wait for upcoming books. 

The show is STILL pretty slow, though.  We literally get about 9 minutes of like 6 different plots every week, and 10 shows a season.

RE: Game of Thrones - Beaker - 05-17-2016

Do you think the letter to the Night's Watch from Ramsey Bolton demanding they return Sansa was really from Ramsey? It didn't seem right to me when they read the letter for a couple of reasons. First, is because Ramsey never uses straight up threatening language. He is always very convoluted and deceitful about his intentions. Look at what he did to Osha. He was very happy to play the game with her while he had full intentions of killing her. He did the same thing to Walda Frey. He even asked if he could hold the baby first. Its not his style to come right out and say I will flay you, or I will scoop your eyes out with a spoon.

The second thing is I think Ramsey would have sent a body part with his letter to prove he had Rickon. Maybe a finger of Rickons, or one of Shaggydog's ears, or even Osha's head....something like that. Not just a letter with a bunch of demented threats. My guess it that the letter was sent by Umber to draw out John Snow and his wildling army. Then Umbers can march with Ramsey to meet them and turn on the Bolton army in the field. I thought it could also be Littlefinger doing the same thing, but that seems much too simple a ploy for him.

RE: Game of Thrones - BmorePat87 - 05-17-2016

(05-17-2016, 05:03 PM)Beaker Wrote: Do you think the letter to the Night's Watch from Ramsey Bolton demanding they return Sansa was really from Ramsey? It didn't seem right to me when they read the letter for a couple of reasons. First, is because Ramsey never uses straight up threatening language. He is always very convoluted and deceitful about his intentions. Look at what he did to Osha. He was very happy to play the game with her while he had full intentions of killing her. He did the same thing to Walda Frey. He even asked if he could hold the baby first. Its not his style to come right out and say I will flay you, or I will scoop your eyes out with a spoon.

The second thing is I think Ramsey would have sent a body part with his letter to prove he had Rickon. Maybe a finger of Rickons, or one of Shaggydog's ears, or even Osha's head....something like that. Not just a letter with a bunch of demented threats. My guess it that the letter was sent by Umber to draw out John Snow and his wildling army. Then Umbers can march with Ramsey to meet them and turn on the Bolton army in the field. I thought it could also be Littlefinger doing the same thing, but that seems much too simple a ploy for him.

Whether or not Ramsay wrote that letter is a huge discussion piece from the last book.

There's evidence to suggest many people wrote it

RE: Game of Thrones - JustWinBaby - 05-17-2016

(05-17-2016, 05:03 PM)Beaker Wrote: I thought it could also be Littlefinger doing the same thing, but that seems much too simple a ploy for him.

Not simple at all.  He's already getting the army together.  My guess is he tries to light the match, let both sides slaughter each other, then ride in with his army to clean up the scraps and claim Winterfell.

RE: Game of Thrones - CKwi88 - 05-19-2016

Apparently a director came out and said it's Ramsays letter.

RE: Game of Thrones - BmorePat87 - 05-20-2016

(05-19-2016, 11:29 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Apparently a director came out and said it's Ramsays letter.

That may settle a book dispute...

RE: Game of Thrones - JustWinBaby - 05-20-2016

(05-20-2016, 12:58 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: That may settle a book dispute...

Funny, because I otherwise I could see, in typical GOT style, the two armies passing each other on the way to siege the other's castle.

I could see how book readers feel differently, but for purposes of the show I don't think who wrote the letter is particularly important.  It mainly just serves to give Jon Snow a purpose, and to set in motion events that likely result in Jon Snow consolidating the North and the Vale.  Figure Dany takes Westeros and Dorne, and the two can pretty much form an alliance to take on the White Walkers.  "Reek" returning to the Iron Islands will also facilitate an alliance with Jon.

Of course, I'm probably completely wrong.

RE: Game of Thrones - XenoMorph - 05-20-2016

(05-17-2016, 05:09 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Whether or not Ramsay wrote that letter is a huge discussion piece from the last book.

There's evidence to suggest many people wrote it

What letter from the book are you speaking of?

In the books Ramsay has or had a fake Arya... and Reek rescued her out of the castle to be captured by stannis sitting rightoutside of it  Also a few wildlings were helping the ones that where there when the king visted winterfel at the beginning of the books(unbeknownst to jon snow at the time)  they were the musicians..     And no one knows where sansa is except littlefinger.

In the books the Fat lord (to large to ride a horse)   and the Freys were also with the boltons but the whiteharbor (forget the name) guys were very much on the starks side.

RE: Game of Thrones - Bengalzona - 05-20-2016

(05-20-2016, 12:45 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: What letter from the book are you speaking of?

In the books Ramsay has or had a fake Arya... and Reek rescued her out of the castle to be captured by stannis sitting rightoutside of it  Also a few wildlings were helping the ones that where there when the king visted winterfel at the beginning of the books(unbeknownst to jon snow at the time)  they were the musicians..     And no one knows where sansa is except littlefinger.

In the books the Fat lord (to large to ride a horse)   and the Freys were also with the boltons but the whiteharbor (forget the name) guys were very much on the starks side.

Let's jsut say that the series and the books have taken some pretty drastically different roads regarding these events.

(05-20-2016, 12:59 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Let's jsut say that the series and the books have taken some pretty drastically different roads regarding these events.

I understand just wondering as he said it was a thing in the book as well

I thought I read that RR admitted the whole Arya/Sansa thing was a mistake and how they handled it in the show was a correction coming from RR himself.

Interesting though that RR has been pretty clearly Dany is not actually fireproof...so it would appear he'll handle that whole deal much differently. To me that is the first potentially dramatic departure from the books - most of what people seem to complain about appear to be mostly small deviations that don't significantly impact the overall story. But if the books were to have Drogon rescue Dany, for instance, then that would wipe out a huge part of her new army.

(05-20-2016, 02:13 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: I thought I read that RR admitted the whole Arya/Sansa thing was a mistake and how they handled it in the show was a correction coming from RR himself.

Interesting though that RR has been pretty clearly Dany is not actually fireproof...so it would appear he'll handle that whole deal much differently.  To me that is the first potentially dramatic departure from the books - most of what people seem to complain about appear to be mostly small deviations that don't significantly impact the overall story.  But if the books were to have Drogon rescue Dany, for instance, then that would wipe out a huge part of her new army.
trying to figure out what the show is doing is a lot of work lol.    Its weird that RR would be against dany being fireproof   maybe Targs have believed that in the past and burned for it. so its very possible she is not but she did survive drogo's(her husbands) funeral pyre  so she can survive fire.  

But being a Targ doesn't make that so as the books reference many targs that killed themselves believing they were fireproof or could summon a dragon.  The tragedy of summerhall being a prime example.  So it was never a save assumstion jon wouldn't burn  but given danny had survived he had a shot.

as far as missing details.   The show has rolled multiple roles into one character handing lines from Character X to say littlefinger and Character X no longer appearing at all or till much later.   Its the little things moving in the background that make the story so intriguing.  the books had over 1000 named characters and they all played their small or large part thru the tail.     While you can still get the general story arch across it loses a little magic in my mind not seeing or hearing about all the pieces it took to move it.  or all the little things that happened that lead to X happening.

Like littlefingers plans to marry sansa to the heir of the erie.  and use the erie to unite the north and reclaim it for the starks (and littlefinger....)    now its littlefinger marrying sansa to the bastard of Bolton.    where they had one of sansa handmaids and claiming she was Arya in the books.    

its small details.  But now it disconnects the erie and the north from having blood ties. thru the marriage.  And while the north might rally to sansa stark     why would the erie

The story they seemed to change the least was dannys even in this extremely boring time.

There was the whole Quintin martell being removed from the show and while his role was small he was the one the freed the dragons from the pit.  while tryion was in a side show circus.

some areas the show has past the books and others its lagging way behind.

where is stoneheart. hanging all the freys?

RE: Game of Thrones - rfaulk34 - 05-20-2016

(05-20-2016, 04:11 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: trying to figure out what the show is doing is a lot of work lol.    Its weird that RR would be against dany being fireproof   maybe Targs have believed that in the past and burned for it. so its very possible she is not but she did survive drogo's(her husbands) funeral pyre  so she can survive fire.  

But being a Targ doesn't make that so as the books reference many targs that killed themselves believing they were fireproof or could summon a dragon.  The tragedy of summerhall being a prime example.  So it was never a save assumstion jon wouldn't burn  but given danny had survived he had a shot.

as far as missing details.   The show has rolled multiple roles into one character handing lines from Character X to say littlefinger and Character X no longer appearing at all or till much later.   Its the little things moving in the background that make the story so intriguing.  the books had over 1000 named characters and they all played their small or large part thru the tail.     While you can still get the general story arch across it loses a little magic in my mind not seeing or hearing about all the pieces it took to move it.  or all the little things that happened that lead to X happening.

Like littlefingers plans to marry sansa to the heir of the erie.  and use the erie to unite the north and reclaim it for the starks (and littlefinger....)    now its littlefinger marrying sansa to the bastard of Bolton.    where they had one of sansa handmaids and claiming she was Arya in the books.    

its small details.  But now it disconnects the erie and the north from having blood ties. thru the marriage.  And while the north might rally to sansa stark     why would the erie

The story they seemed to change the least was dannys even in this extremely boring time.

There was the whole Quintin martell being removed from the show and while his role was small he was the one the freed the dragons from the pit.  while tryion was in a side show circus.

some areas the show has past the books and others its lagging way behind.

where is stoneheart. hanging all the freys?

No sign of her since the Red Wedding. Thoros and Beric were back in season 3 and there was nothing about Arya warging. 

At this point, she's been dead way longer than even in the books so if she does come back she'll probably be ready to burn the whole world down. 

RE: Game of Thrones - Bengalzona - 05-20-2016

I've given up on seeing Stoneheart on the series. Someone else will have to get the Freys (maybe Littlefinger and the army from the Vale? Ninja )

(05-20-2016, 06:21 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: At this point, she's been dead way longer than even in the books so if she does come back she'll probably be ready to burn the whole world down. 

I wonder if they won't have her appear, somewhat briefly, and have everyone [tv audience] think she came back as a White Walker.  There is at least one Bolton left to kill...

RE: Game of Thrones - rfaulk34 - 05-20-2016

(05-20-2016, 06:55 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: I wonder if they won't have her appear, somewhat briefly, and have everyone [tv audience] think she came back as a White Walker.  There is at least one Bolton left to kill...

Public Enemy #1.

I know at least a couple others are heading toward Winterfell, but in my mind...Theon HAS to be the one to do Ramsay. 

Someone more knowledgeable than me will have to confirm this--mostly the second part--but she can't be a white walker, only a wight. Plus, i think she's too far south to be either.