Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Game of Thrones - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Entertainment (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Entertainment)
+--- Thread: Game of Thrones (/Thread-Game-of-Thrones)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

RE: Game of Thrones - samhain - 07-04-2016

(06-30-2016, 11:43 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Some wild thoughts:

Deity Aspect - Linked 'Good Guy' Character
The Father    - Tyrion: He has pretty much consistently demonstrated good judgement.
The Mother   - Daenerys: While she cannot birth children anymore (yet?), she has always demonstrated a motherly, nurturing to her followers.
The Warrior   - Jon: It is all he is good at. He really isn't so bright.
The Maiden   - Sansa: Even though she has been around many horrible things, there is still an innocence about her.
The Smith     - Sam: I originally would have said Gendry, but he hasn't been seen since season three.
The Crone     - Davos: He is a wise person.  
The Stranger - Arya: This is the strongest link.

Deity Aspect - Linked 'Bad Guy' Character
The Father    - Littlefinger: He's vile, but he has good judgment.
The Mother   - Cersei: Motherhood gone wrong.
The Warrior   - Jaime:
The Maiden   - The Sand Snakes
The Smith     - ?
The Crone     - Olenna Tyrell
The Stranger - ?

I postulate that the Seven (technically one entity with seven aspects) walks Westeros in human form(s) and is influencing events and characters in different guises. Such as:

The Stranger = "A-man-has-no-name" dude
The Crone = Mellisandra
The Father = Varys?

Not expecting people to 'buy into' this. Just throwing it out for thoughts.

I'd say the Stark family embodies almost all of these qualities alone.
Ned is the Father, Catelyn is the Mother, Sansa is the Maiden, Robb is the Warrior, Arya is the Stranger, Bran is the Crone, and Rickon is the Smith because he is the last standing lol.   Jon could be said to represent several.

The Warrior is obvious, the Crone is also a fit with his dire wolf warg abilities.  He's Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, so that's fatherly if you go by the Mormont standard.  He built alliances with enemies, so he has "crafted" something, so there's the Smith.  He was a virgin when he got it on with Ygritte, so you could compare that with the maiden?  

As far as the Stranger for the rest of the characters, I think the Hound is a no-brainer.  His horse is even named "Stranger" in the books.  He's a pure killer, and he's relatively dispassionate about the people he murders.  He just does it because he has to, it's strategically wise, or because it's his job.  

RE: Game of Thrones - Beaker - 07-07-2016

My prediction for the end of GoT:

1. Jon Snow brokers a peace between the WW and humans.

Jon Snow has been bringing together opposing sides his whole life. He made peace with Mance Rayder, and then Tormund Giantsbane. He united the Free Folk and the Night's Watch. He also brought the northern houses back together to support the Starks and re-take Winterfell. The WW's have shown they can be brokered with because Craster had an agreement with them. Plus GRRM hates the destructiveness of war and has been showing how it doesn't solve anything this whole series. So Jon figures out a way to broker a peace between the humans and the WWs.

2. Danearys turns out to be the supervillian.

GRRM has said there is good and evil in everyone. She has shown to want to conquer instead of negotiate. She has only been mitigated by advisors. She has been building power and now seems to be nearly unstoppable. Absolute power corrupts. She will at some point dismiss the advice of her advisors. Plus it would be the ultimate "full circle" in the series to start with the Mad King and end with the Mad Queen.

3. Jon Snow will be offered the iron throne after brokering peace with the WWs and defeating or defusing Danearys.

GRRM not only hates war, but also a power structure where few rule the many (fuedalism) causing the deaths of innocents. Therefore he will make a statement against war and that power structure by Jon Snow refusing the Iron Throne, and maybe even having it dismantled, thereby ending both the seat of power, and the wars that come through the struggle to obtain that seat. Jon Snow will do like George Washington did when he refused to be named King and turned the power over to the people...ending the "Game of Thrones".

RE: Game of Thrones - BengalHawk62 - 07-07-2016

(07-07-2016, 12:32 PM)Beaker Wrote: My prediction for the end of GoT:

1. Jon Snow brokers a peace between the WW and humans.

Jon Snow has been bringing together opposing sides his whole life. He made peace with Mance Rayder, and then Tormund Giantsbane. He united the Free Folk and the Night's Watch. He also brought the northern houses back together to support the Starks and re-take Winterfell. The WW's have shown they can be brokered with because Craster had an agreement with them. Plus GRRM hates the destructiveness of war and has been showing how it doesn't solve anything this whole series. So Jon figures out a way to broker a peace between the humans and the WWs.

2. Danearys turns out to be the supervillian.

GRRM has said there is good and evil in everyone. She has shown to want to conquer instead of negotiate. She has only been mitigated by advisors. She has been building power and now seems to be nearly unstoppable. Absolute power corrupts. She will at some point dismiss the advice of her advisors. Plus it would be the ultimate "full circle" in the series to start with the Mad King and end with the Mad Queen.

3. Jon Snow will be offered the iron throne after brokering peace with the WWs and defeating or defusing Danearys.

GRRM not only hates war, but also a power structure where few rule the many (fuedalism) causing the deaths of innocents. Therefore he will make a statement against war and that power structure by Jon Snow refusing the Iron Throne, and maybe even having it dismantled, thereby ending both the seat of power, and the wars that come through the struggle to obtain that seat. Jon Snow will do like George Washington did when he refused to be named King and turned the power over to the people...ending the "Game of Thrones".

Thanks a lot.  Now I don't even have to read the damn series or watch the show.  Oh wait, no i'll still watch just to see the boobies. 

RE: Game of Thrones - XenoMorph - 07-07-2016

(07-07-2016, 12:50 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Thanks a lot.  Now I don't even have to read the damn series or watch the show.  Oh wait, no i'll still watch just to see the boobies. 

Winter is here  boobs my be lacking

Is anyone expecting a retaliation by sparrows that might not have been near the high sept? in the books they were EVERYWHERE..... could we possibly see an actual army of the faith raise up out of what Ceresi did? killing a few even the head probly wont be enough.. It took the targs 200 years of war to get the faith to put down their swords... do we really think ceresi did it in 1 night?

RE: Game of Thrones - JustWinBaby - 07-07-2016

(07-07-2016, 01:12 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Is anyone expecting a retaliation by sparrows that might not have been near the high sept?  in the books they were EVERYWHERE.....    could we possibly see an actual army of the faith raise up out of what Ceresi did?  killing a few even the head probly wont be enough.. It took the targs 200 years of war to get the faith to put down their swords...    do we really think ceresi did it in 1 night?

I'd assume that might be a difference between the book and the show.  For purposes of the tv show, I think because of time constraints that the faith are done.  They may be players in the Game of Thrones, but this story is shifting to focus on the battle with the WW.

RE: Game of Thrones - XenoMorph - 07-07-2016

(07-07-2016, 01:52 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: I'd assume that might be a difference between the book and the show.  For purposes of the tv show, I think because of time constraints that the faith are done.  They may be players in the Game of Thrones, but this story is shifting to focus on the battle with the WW.

They said Season 7 would heavily focus on Ceresi.

RE: Game of Thrones - JustWinBaby - 07-07-2016

(07-07-2016, 02:12 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: They said Season 7 would heavily focus on Ceresi.

Oh wow.  Hadn't heard that.  I guess that means not a lot of white walkers (budget costs and all).

Kind of makes sense, though.  Can't just murder off Cersei quickly.  She needs a downfall befitting the character (though she's kind of already lost a lot).

RE: Game of Thrones - XenoMorph - 07-08-2016

(07-07-2016, 08:29 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Oh wow.  Hadn't heard that.  I guess that means not a lot of white walkers (budget costs and all).

Kind of makes sense, though.  Can't just murder off Cersei quickly.  She needs a downfall befitting the character (though she's kind of already lost a lot).

yeah im guessing we get glimpses of the north while focusing on the mad queen (cersei) and whatever she does now that she finally sits the throne... and the other mad queen (danny) and her landing in dorne and amassing the largest army westroes has ever seen.

RE: Game of Thrones - JustWinBaby - 07-08-2016

(07-08-2016, 09:48 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: .. and the other mad queen (danny) and her landing in dorne and amassing the largest army westroes has ever seen.

I agree Dany's character has started moving very subtly in the wrong direction.  Although I still believe Euron is going to decimate her army at sea.  I've never been a fan of Dany, and I wonder if many people have missed what she really is - when you compare/contrast her with Jon it's very clear who the real leader of unimpeachable character, morality and integrity is.  Not like Jon introduces himself as "Lord Commander, the un-killable, King of the North, savior of the Wildlings, killer of White Walkers, and blood of the Dragon Wolf"

For fantastic predictions...what if Arya can do the face thing with one of the undead wights?  Gets her close enough, potentially, to assassinate the Night King.

(07-08-2016, 12:48 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: I agree Dany's character has started moving very subtly in the wrong direction.  Although I still believe Euron is going to decimate her army at sea.  I've never been a fan of Dany, and I wonder if many people have missed what she really is - when you compare/contrast her with Jon it's very clear who the real leader of unimpeachable character, morality and integrity is.  Not like Jon introduces himself as "Lord Commander, the un-killable, King of the North, savior of the Wildlings, killer of White Walkers, and blood of the Dragon Wolf"

For fantastic predictions...what if Arya can do the face thing with one of the undead wights?  Gets her close enough, potentially, to assassinate the Night King.

that would be something..(I like the theory of bran taking control of dragon for that more... might also be how dany loses a good chunk of her army).  Although Arya is a story of revenge now...  which probly means she dies in the kings landing if I had to guess.  Maybe Arya will be the one to assassinate Dany..

I agree on your points of jon vs dany.    Jon never wanted to be the lord commander or king of the north or savoir of the north or savior of the free folk he did what he had to do and what he thought was right..

Dany her whole story has been about what she believes shes entitled too. now she has amased forces and my favorite moment of hers so far was when she sold her dragon in the double cross..  butoverall her story has been a bore.  and she is a bore.    I hope she loses most her fleet at sea. and is forced to rely on dorne and highgarden for support.      I don't see her completing her conquest of westroes though.

very interested in what the now king of the north will do (always figured jon would become this just not the way it unfolded...)    my thought of jon sitting the iron throne though is in question cause I don't think he wants it.. (but might be selected to it by others)   especially if the north can hold back the WW's

Somethings gonna break though this is a bleak and dark story  There will not be a truly happy ending.  Whoever wins the great game at the end it will come at great cost that will leave a bitter taste in the mouth.

(07-08-2016, 02:05 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: my thought of jon sitting the iron throne though is in question cause I don't think he wants it.. (but might be selected to it by others)   especially if the north can hold back the WW's

Somethings gonna break though this is a bleak and dark story  There will not be a truly happy ending.  Whoever wins the great game at the end it will come at great cost that will leave a bitter taste in the mouth.

If the story is "cyclical" - which it appears to be, including the WW 1000 years ago and the "wheel" of Game of Thrones - it may be likely all the main protagonists end-up dead...and the cycle starts anew.

Sure looks to be heading that way.  A mad queen(s) now, instead of the mad king.  Bran is the new 3-eyed raven.  Dragons are back.  Targaryen's are back.  Most of the great houses are done for, with new ones sure to rise.

As I think about all that, I'll take the long-shot bet on Sam on the Iron Throne.

Can't say for certain if I'd be disappointed if it ends with the WW winning and enslaving Dany.

(07-08-2016, 02:33 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: If the story is "cyclical" - which it appears to be, including the WW 1000 years ago and the "wheel" of Game of Thrones - it may be likely all the main protagonists end-up dead...and the cycle starts anew.

Sure looks to be heading that way.  A mad queen(s) now, instead of the mad king.  Bran is the new 3-eyed raven.  Dragons are back.  Targaryen's are back.  Most of the great houses are done for, with new ones sure to rise.

As I think about all that, I'll take the long-shot bet on Sam on the Iron Throne.

Can't say for certain if I'd be disappointed if it ends with the WW winning and enslaving Dany.

only ending that would truly disappoint me is if it ends with dany on the Iron throne...      as that's what the whole story has kinda been building to for her.   I would like to see the north stay independent if there is anything left to independent from.

Back to jon and king of the north...   Now hes the king he knows nothing of an army of dragons on the way as far as I know.      Does he try to marry to help fortify the north? ie bring in an army thru marriage.       

where would he turn in the seven kingdoms for that?  Thinking jon wont take this route with the way weddings in the stark family have been going.   Does he rally the north to the wall? knowning there are still enemies elsewhere?

Right now we don't get to see the happenings at the wall because we have no PoV there anymore...    If sam does maister training he wont be back for a while... So im thinking that's not his story.  He probly finds a piece of info in the library there and rushes back to the wall...

One part of his story they kind of skiped was when he landed in bravos with measter aemon.   who then dies in bravos.  but sam sees arya there..
in the books he has met arya and bran  and knows  of rickon(not that that is an issue any more but if jon knew where rickon was before he might have been able to help).    but never tells jon...

(starting to think jon knowns nothing because no one tells the poor bastard anything lol)

(07-08-2016, 03:03 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Does he rally the north to the wall? knowning there are still enemies elsewhere?

I think he knows he doesn't have enough men for it.  That had to be easily 20k wights in Hardhome, and I think the Night King just re-animated the ones they had "killed".

Seems the war with the WW will have to be much more strategic.  And who's left out there that excels in military strategy?  Jaime, Blackfish(?), possibly Davos?  Dany has a couple of good lieutenants in that regard, though one of them is trying to find a cure for his grayscale.

(07-08-2016, 03:44 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: I think he knows he doesn't have enough men for it.  That had to be easily 20k wights in Hardhome, and I think the Night King just re-animated the ones they had "killed".

Seems the war with the WW will have to be much more strategic.  And who's left out there that excels in military strategy?  Jaime, Blackfish(?), possibly Davos?  Dany has a couple of good lieutenants in that regard, though one of them is trying to find a cure for his grayscale.

Sam's Dad is regarded as a good military mind in the books.

other than that.... im not sure the trick is you cant just send a mass of people at them cause then those people turn into them when they fall...   But there is that wall still.. for how long though. (its older than history can remember)

RE: Game of Thrones - SteelCitySouth - 07-11-2016

(07-08-2016, 05:48 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Sam's Dad is regarded as a good military mind in the books.

other than that.... im not sure the trick is you cant just send a mass of people at them cause then those people turn into them when they fall...   But there is that wall still.. for how long though. (its older than history can remember)

As soon as Bran crosses the wall, the magic holding the WW back will be broken.  This is show not book.

RE: Game of Thrones - XenoMorph - 07-11-2016

(07-11-2016, 11:25 AM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: As soon as Bran crosses the wall, the magic holding the WW back will be broken.  This is show not book.

yeah.. And they skipped the scenes he would have been in (Brienne and Pods Adventures...)  

Interesting theory on bran... and possible we don't know what happens when the 3 eye raven crosses the way.

RE: Game of Thrones - SteelCitySouth - 07-11-2016

(07-11-2016, 02:17 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: yeah.. And they skipped the scenes he would have been in (Brienne and Pods Adventures...)  

Interesting theory on bran... and possible we don't know what happens when the 3 eye raven crosses the way.

They pretty much told us this would happen given the same magic was guarding the Three Eyed Raven's home.  He was touched by the Night King while he was warging.  This allowed the night king and his kind to gain access to the 3ER home.

It will be the same reason the Night King will be able to pass through the wall if Bran goes south.

RE: Game of Thrones - BmorePat87 - 07-13-2016

(07-11-2016, 03:16 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: They pretty much told us this would happen given the same magic was guarding the Three Eyed Raven's home.  He was touched by the Night King while he was warging.  This allowed the night king and his kind to gain access to the 3ER home.

It will be the same reason the Night King will be able to pass through the wall if Bran goes south.

Not to get too nerdy, but he was using his greenseer ability, not warging. 

RE: Game of Thrones - BmorePat87 - 07-13-2016

(07-07-2016, 02:12 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: They said Season 7 would heavily focus on Ceresi.

I could see that as she has to reconcile the fact that she wields little power. She rules King's Landing, the Westerlands, and maybe the Riverlands. 

Dany has the backing of the Reach, Dorne, and some people from the Iron Islands, though more if she defeats Euron.

Jon has the North and possibly the Vale. 

With regards to the fall of major houses, when the Targaryens first came, they defeated 3 of the 7 ruling houses. Harren was King of the Iron Islands and Riverlands, and he was famously defeated at Harrenhall. The Targs put House Tully in charge for siding with them. The Gardeners of the Reach were all killed at the Field of Fire and Harlen Tyrell, who was the steward of Highgarden for the Gardeners, surrendered. The Targs gave him Highgarden and put his house in charge of the Reach. The Durrandons were the Storm Kings in the Stormlands. They were defeated and the only daughter of the last Durrandon king was married to Orys Baratheon, the bastard half brother of Aegon Targaryen. 

So far we have seen the Starks be almost wiped out. The Arryns only have Robin. The Tyrells (in the show), just have cousins (maybe). The Baratheons are done. The Martells lost their heirs and just now have bastards. The Tullys have Edmure and his son. The Lannisters still have their two males.

OF course, there are also cadet branches...

RE: Game of Thrones - SteelCitySouth - 07-13-2016

(07-13-2016, 09:32 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Not to get too nerdy, but he was using his greenseer ability, not warging. 

That too.   Cool

nerd