Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Galvis locked in at SS - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: General Sports (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-General-Sports)
+--- Forum: Cincinnati Reds (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Reds)
+--- Thread: Galvis locked in at SS (/Thread-Galvis-locked-in-at-SS)

Pages: 1 2

Galvis locked in at SS - bengalfan74 - 12-11-2019

https://www.mlb.com/breaking-news/freddy-galvis-could-be-reds-regular-shortstop

I was really hoping they'd keep Iglesias

RE: Galvis locked in at SS - fredtoast - 12-11-2019

Iglasias gets on base more while Galvis has a little more power.  Neither is much of an offensive weapon and they are the same age.  

Last five years their OPS is almost identical

Iglasias  .273 avg  .313 OB% .375 SLG%  .688 OPS
Glavis     .253 avg  .296 OB% .388 SLG%  .684 OPS

But Iglasias is so much better on defense.  I wish we would have re-signed him, but we had the option on Galvis so we took it instead.

RE: Galvis locked in at SS - bengalfan74 - 12-11-2019

(12-11-2019, 07:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Iglasias gets on base more while Galvis has a little more power.  Neither is much of an offensive weapon and they are the same age.  

But Iglasias is so much better on defense.  I wish we would have re-signed him, but we had the option on Galvis so we took it instead.

Defense is the main reason I wanted Iglesias back, he's great ! Offensive production from SS is just gravy.

RE: Galvis locked in at SS - psychdoctor - 12-11-2019

(12-11-2019, 07:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Iglasias gets on base more while Galvis has a little more power.  Neither is much of an offensive weapon and they are the same age.  

Iggy was hitting above his expected average so he likely would have dropped some and would have costed at least 10 mil per.  But man, can he play defense.  

RE: Galvis locked in at SS - fredtoast - 12-12-2019

(12-11-2019, 08:40 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Iggy was hitting above his expected average so he likely would have dropped some and would have costed at least 10 mil per.  But man, can he play defense.  

Galvis's '19 slugging percentage was 40 points over his career high, so he is due to drop back also.

But I agree Iglasias would have cost more.

RE: Galvis locked in at SS - Circleville Guy - 12-12-2019

I agree with everyone about Iglesias. He’s a wizard with a glove, I’m not sure why Galvis was put ahead of Iglesias.

RE: Galvis locked in at SS - fredtoast - 12-12-2019

(12-12-2019, 03:14 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote:  I’m not sure why Galvis was put ahead of Iglesias.

I am guessing price.

We will see when Iglasias gets signed.

RE: Galvis locked in at SS - Circleville Guy - 12-12-2019

(12-12-2019, 10:59 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I am guessing price.

We will see when Iglasias gets signed.

That could be. I’m gonna guess that he gets a 2 year, 12-15 Mil contract. I could be way off though.

RE: Galvis locked in at SS - grampahol - 12-13-2019

To me this move is just plain nuts. Freddy Galvis is about the same player minus the defensive wizardry as Jose. Unless Jose wants the moon, stars and the sun after a lousy minor league offer last year someone has been drinking way to much this off season and I suspect it's someone in the Reds FO.. He even publicly stated he wanted to stay with the team, but the ol "Let's save a nickle to return a 12 cent item and stand in line at Walmart the day after Christmas" apparently wins the day..  Whatever
Somehow I get a bad feeling that after he signs elsewhere the Reds will be willing to part with a BUNCH of assets to get him back.. 

RE: Galvis locked in at SS - Yojimbo - 01-06-2020

Looking more and more likely unless a Lindor trade happens. Iggy signed a one year, $3 million contract with Baltimore today. That contract tells me the Reds didn’t want him back or he didn’t want to come back.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28435520/orioles-reach-deal-shortstop-jose-iglesias-source-says

RE: Galvis locked in at SS - bengalfan74 - 01-06-2020

(01-06-2020, 08:38 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Looking more and more likely unless a Lindor trade happens. Iggy signed a one year, $3 million contract with Baltimore today. That contract tells me the Reds didn’t want him back or he didn’t want to come back.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28435520/orioles-reach-deal-shortstop-jose-iglesias-source-says

A bit surprising, 3 million ?

At the end of the season Iggy said he loved the Reds. I'd guess they didn't want him back. Perhaps Lindor is still in the works ?

RE: Galvis locked in at SS - Yojimbo - 01-06-2020

(01-06-2020, 09:07 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: A bit surprising, 3 million ?

At the end of the season Iggy said he loved the Reds. I'd guess they didn't want him back. Perhaps Lindor is still in the works ?

I hope it’s because of Lindor. Galvis is ok, but he’s never going to be the reason we have a successful year.

RE: Galvis locked in at SS - bengalfan74 - 01-06-2020

(01-06-2020, 10:49 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I hope it’s because of Lindor. Galvis is ok, but he’s never going to be the reason we have a successful year.

Agree,

Like you say Galvis is ok at the plate, probably a bit above average for ML SS's. And he's maybe a bit better than average on defense. But in my mind he's at least a rung, maybe two below Iggy overall.

Iggy on the other hand is outstanding on defense, those guys aren't just a dime a dozen. Then if he continues on at the plate as he was last season ? He's a real keeper.

Has to be Lindor or Iggy musta got caught yelling Johnny Bench sucks or something ?

RE: Galvis locked in at SS - TheLeonardLeap - 01-07-2020

Neither Galvis or Iglesias are the answer as a starting SS on a playoff/WS-hopeful team.

They can easily be the starter on a bad team, but if you're looking to win, you need an upgrade.

With the Shogo Akiyama signing, they just need to add a legit SS bat (or Mookie Betts in RF) and they are good to go. I don't know if it'll be a Francisco Lindor trade, a Corey Seager trade (if the Dodgers get Lindor), or a Trevor Story trade, but they need to add an impact bat there.

Hopefully the Reds aren't finished, or hopefully they aren't planning on signing a seriously underwhelming Ozuna and then being finished. They are close, and it seems a shame to not finish going all-in.

RE: Galvis locked in at SS - guyofthetiger - 01-07-2020

Well, we need to move on from Iggy since he's gone. I'm still hopeful for a Lindor trade. The Reds may be much better this year without him, but not yet contenders.

RE: Galvis locked in at SS - grampahol - 01-08-2020

I think they have a shot at contending this year. After all, the rest of the division isn't exactly loaded. If Reds win the division winning the WS becomes obtainable and a lot easier than sneaking in as a WC team.. Once the playoffs begin it's usually just a matter of who gets hot and who doesn't. Once in awhile it's one team absolutely dominating everyone else, but it's usually who's hot come October.. Pitching and decent hitting will be the keys.

RE: Galvis locked in at SS - bengalfan74 - 01-08-2020

(01-08-2020, 01:27 AM)grampahol Wrote: I think they have a shot at contending this year. After all, the rest of the division isn't exactly loaded. If Reds win the division winning the WS becomes obtainable and a lot easier than sneaking in as a WC team.. Once the playoffs begin it's usually just a matter of who gets hot and who doesn't. Once in awhile it's one team absolutely dominating everyone else, but it's usually who's hot come October.. Pitching and decent hitting will be the keys.

There's little doubt they've improved and most likely will be better. I'm just not so sure they've done enough to be a true contender ? I'd like to see them get another bat.

RE: Galvis locked in at SS - grampahol - 01-14-2020

(01-08-2020, 11:54 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: There's little doubt they've improved and most likely will be better. I'm just not so sure they've done enough to be a true contender ? I'd like to see them get another bat.

Me too, but we never know who might surprise. It only takes a few players to exceed all expectations for a season with none doing worse than expectations..  Good luck with that, huh? Maybe Shogo will blow everyone away and everyone will say Nick Who? I'm not holding by breath on that though..

RE: Galvis locked in at SS - TheLeonardLeap - 01-16-2020

(01-08-2020, 11:54 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: There's little doubt they've improved and most likely will be better. I'm just not so sure they've done enough to be a true contender ? I'd like to see them get another bat.

They haven't. They need to add one more premier bat to really stand any hope.

Someone like Lindor, C Seager, or even Story. 

Freddy Galvis simply isn't a starting caliber SS on a team that hopes to be good.

RE: Galvis locked in at SS - bengalfan74 - 01-16-2020

(01-16-2020, 11:23 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: They haven't. They need to add one more premier bat to really stand any hope.

Someone like Lindor, C Seager, or even Story. 

Freddy Galvis simply isn't a starting caliber SS on a team that hopes to be good.

Agree

When you have a guy at 1B, a power position, that's averaging like 55 RBI's and 13 HR's over the last two seasons you have to make up for it somewhere. Those are like average SS, CF type numbers. Votto may improve some but I seriously doubt he's gonna even sniff 30 HR 100 RBI range.

I so hope they drop him down to 6 or 7 in the lineup if he starts out, again, with 2 RBI's batting .147 in April.