Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Reds Showing Interest in David Price - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: General Sports (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-General-Sports)
+--- Forum: Cincinnati Reds (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Reds)
+--- Thread: Reds Showing Interest in David Price (/Thread-Reds-Showing-Interest-in-David-Price)

Reds Showing Interest in David Price - psychdoctor - 12-12-2019

I don't know how I feel about this. His ERA has crept up over the last 3 years but he is a savvy vet with playoff experience. He has some minor elbow & wrist issues that maybe hinder his performance. The dude is making 34 mil per...yikes. I would rather have Madbum. Interesting if he comes at the right "price." Tongue

RE: Reds Showing Interest in David Price - psychdoctor - 12-13-2019

It seems that Boston is willing to eat maybe half of his salary. Price at 15 mil per may work. I just don't like his numbers over the last 3 years and he has pitched toward contact more than I would like, especially at GABP.

RE: Reds Showing Interest in David Price - grampahol - 12-13-2019

I'd be more interested in keeping Jose Iglesias over Freddy Galvis and forget an old Price on the back end of his career, but that's just me..

RE: Reds Showing Interest in David Price - fredtoast - 12-13-2019

Roark just got $12 million a year on a very short contract (2 yr), and he is the same age as Price.

I don't know anything bout Price's injury issues but I would MUCH rather have him at $15 mil.

RE: Reds Showing Interest in David Price - samhain - 12-13-2019

He's allegedly good friends with Sonny Gray and Derek Johnson due to the Vanderbilt connection. It might be a welcome change from Boston. I'm just not sure about his recent injuries and performance. I'd still prefer him to Bumgarner. Bumgarner is going to get a shitload of money due to being the perceived best option left on the starter market. He gives up a lot of home runs and would get smoked in GABP. His stats also show that he falls off quite a bit outside of AT&T park, which is known for being highly pitcher-friendly.

Keuchel is my guy in terms of available pitchers, but Price seems like a player that a team like the Reds could gamble on if Boston eats some of his contract. He's be a solid 4th or 5th starter if healthy.

RE: Reds Showing Interest in David Price - CJD - 12-13-2019

They'd have to eat a huge portion of his contract, but I'd be open to it. He could see a Sonny Gray level recovery with his college coach.

RE: Reds Showing Interest in David Price - guyofthetiger - 12-14-2019

No thanks on Price. He's been lit up a lot lately. I actually like our rotation the way it is now. We just need to work on the bullpen.

RE: Reds Showing Interest in David Price - SunsetBengal - 12-14-2019

He's definitely a quality pitcher. However, whatever injuries seem to have taken a toll on him, and it looks like he's falling off the proverbial "cliff". I wouldn't mind seeing the Reds invest in a marquis pitcher, but please, get someone a little younger who hasn't been "used up" already.

RE: Reds Showing Interest in David Price - fredtoast - 12-14-2019

(12-13-2019, 12:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know anything bout Price's injury issues but I would MUCH rather have him at $15 mil.

I did some research.  Here is the deal.

First of all Price does not have a serious injury problem and has not "fallen off the cliff".  He was still very good in 2018 (30 starts, 16 wins, 3.58 ERA, 1.14 WHIP in regular season and a 1.98 ERA in 2 World Series wins).  He started off last year very good (7-2, 3.16 ERA in first 17 starts) but then developed a cyst in his wrist.  Since there was no structural damage or injury he tried to pitch through the pain.  He finished last year with a 4.28 ERA.  He had surgery to remove the cyst and since there was no real injury a full recovery is expected.

Price just turned 34 in August and is under contract for three more years.  He is due to make $32 million per year, and it is believed the Sox would eat $12 million a year.  So that means he would still cost us $20 million a year.

We would have to trade a player to get him, but it would not have to be anyone too good.  The Sox are mainly looking to get out of the contract.