Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
The next great UK Pro - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: Draft Central (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Draft-Central)
+--- Thread: The next great UK Pro (/Thread-The-next-great-UK-Pro)

Pages: 1 2

The next great UK Pro - bfine32 - 01-01-2020

Admittedly I'm a bit of a UK homer, but I like to try to be as even-minded as possible. Off the top of my head I've really only pimped 4 in the past:

Josh Allen last year (Everyone could see the talent there)

The book ends of Za'Darius Smith and Bud Dupree in 2015

Larry Warford. 2013 and everybody was all excited about Chance Warmack and Jonathan Collins (both are currently out of the NFL). I was saying LW was possibly the best G in the draft and he wowed me during Senior Bowl practice. I was close on proclaiming him the best G in that draft class; as an argument can be made for Kyle Long.

2020: I am now blowing the horn for Logan Stenberg.

Stenberg in one word "his own" is Nasty. If you watched his Bowl Game yesterday in the first few plays he body slammed a player and got a personal foul for taunting. He led the way for Bennie Snell to set records at UK and this year allowed a WR to become a running QB. He could have went anywhere (#2 rated OT from Alabama) but chose UK because of their Oline coach. One thing we know about our Oline coach is that he loves a bully.

Luckily we'll be coaching the Senior Bowl and hopefully Taylor and crew will be coaching Stenberg's team.

RE: The next great UK Pro - jfkbengals - 01-01-2020

(01-01-2020, 03:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Admittedly I'm a bit of a UK homer, but I like to try to be as even-minded as possible. Off the top of my head I've really only pimped 4 in the past:

Larry Warford. 2013 and everybody was all excited about Chance Warmack and Jonathan Collins (both are currently out of the NFL). I was saying LW was possibly the best G in the draft and he wowed me during Senior Bowl practice. I was close on proclaiming him the best G in that draft class; as an argument can be made for Kyle Long.

Stenberg in one word "his own" is Nasty. If you watched his Bowl Game yesterday in the first few plays he body slammed a player and got a personal foul for taunting. He led the way for Bennie Snell to set records at UK and this year allowed a WR to become a running QB. He could have went anywhere (#2 rated OT from Alabama) but chose UK because of their Oline coach. One thing we know about our Oline coach is that he loves a bully.

Luckily we'll be coaching the Senior Bowl and hopefully Taylor and crew will be coaching Stenberg's team.

So here's the problem.  If he is as good as you say, he won't be there at 33.  So would we want to pass on the top QB or DE to take a G?

RE: The next great UK Pro - bfine32 - 01-01-2020

(01-01-2020, 04:51 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: So here's the problem.  If he is as good as you say, he won't be there at 33.  So would we want to pass on the top QB or DE to take a G?

Of course he's not going #1OA and it's why I mention Warford. There are other guards from bigger named programs getting more hype. 

WTS, going back the last 5 drafts, 3 years old 1 G was taken in the 1st round ans 2 years 0 were. It's not like there's going to be a run on G's; especially considering how deep this class is at OT. I'd like to think he'll make it to 66 but that would be pushing it. Dream case: After the first round is over, some team is really in love with someone in a premium position on the boards and gives us some picks to move up while we move down into the mid-second and take him. 

RE: The next great UK Pro - Whatever - 01-01-2020

(01-01-2020, 03:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Admittedly I'm a bit of a UK homer, but I like to try to be as even-minded as possible. Off the top of my head I've really only pimped 4 in the past:

I've looked at Stenberg some.  I think he's a good prospect, but I don't see him as a scheme fit for the Bengals simply because he whiffs on pulls way too much.

RE: The next great UK Pro - ochocincos - 01-02-2020

I've been touting Stenberg in my mocks for a couple months now. I was surprised to see some sites had him as a Rd 6 or lower. I think he's a Rd 3-4 prospect and could be a mean OG for the Bengals, especially if they prioritize the run.

RE: The next great UK Pro - Goalpost - 01-02-2020

Bowden should be a good pro also...as a boxer

RE: The next great UK Pro - rfaulk34 - 01-05-2020

(01-02-2020, 11:04 AM)Goalpost Wrote: Bowden should be a good pro also...as a boxer

Bowden is killer in the open field. The Bengals need to get him and use him in the role John Ross is supposed to play. 

RE: The next great UK Pro - samhain - 01-05-2020

(01-05-2020, 04:53 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Bowden is killer in the open field. The Bengals need to get him and use him in the role John Ross is supposed to play. 

I'd take him in the 3rd if he lasted that long.  I'm not sure where he's projected.

RE: The next great UK Pro - PikesPeakUC - 01-05-2020

Not gonna lie. I thought this thread was about British football players when I saw it at first.

Who was the offensive lineman from Kentucky that a few people on here were all about a few years ago? Jon Toth? Obviously Stenberg is much better in this situation than he was.

At this rate I'll take anyone who will improve this team from anywhere. Bowden would be fun, but I have a feeling that we wouldn't be able to use his versatility.

RE: The next great UK Pro - masonbengals fan - 01-05-2020

I don't know exactly what role Bowden would play, but I'd trade Ross for him any day & twice on Sunday.

Am I crazy for thinking that ?

RE: The next great UK Pro - ochocincos - 01-21-2020

Bengals get a nice look at Stenberg this week, as he's on South team for Senior Bowl.
Hope he catches their eye, as I like him as a Day 3 prospect.

RE: The next great UK Pro - spazz70 - 01-21-2020

Russell Bodine was nasty according to our coaches

RE: The next great UK Pro - Synric - 01-21-2020

(01-21-2020, 11:18 PM)spazz70 Wrote: Russell Bodine was nasty according to our coaches

Logan Stenberg has been voted as the most hated player in the SEC for a few years now. He has laundry lost of personal fouls against him lol.

RE: The next great UK Pro - Whatever - 01-24-2020

(01-21-2020, 01:50 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Bengals get a nice look at Stenberg this week, as he's on South team for Senior Bowl.
Hope he catches their eye, as I like him as a Day 3 prospect.

He has, just for the wrong reasons.  John Shereen reported that Stenberg has been Jim Turner's "whipping boy."  

RE: The next great UK Pro - SunsetBengal - 01-24-2020

(01-24-2020, 01:07 AM)Whatever Wrote: He has, just for the wrong reasons.  John Shereen reported that Stenberg has been Jim Turner's "whipping boy."  

When a coach like Turner makes you "the example" like that, it usually means that he sees something in you that he likes, and thinks that he can bring the best out in that player.  

RE: The next great UK Pro - Truck_1_0_1_ - 01-24-2020

(01-24-2020, 01:07 AM)Whatever Wrote: He has, just for the wrong reasons.  John Shereen reported that Stenberg has been Jim Turner's "whipping boy."  

(01-24-2020, 01:21 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: When a coach like Turner makes you "the example" like that, it usually means that he sees something in you that he likes, and thinks that he can bring the best out in that player.  

LOL Sunset said what I had on my mind.

After reading that, I immediately thought, "Whipping boy? That means we're picking him! LOL"

So long as he tones down the penalties and ridiculousness; we don't want another supposed headcase like Incognito (though the same was said about Will Hernandez and he's been ok, attitude-wise).

RE: The next great UK Pro - Whatever - 01-24-2020

(01-24-2020, 10:12 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: LOL Sunset said what I had on my mind.

After reading that, I immediately thought, "Whipping boy? That means we're picking him! LOL"

So long as he tones down the penalties and ridiculousness; we don't want another supposed headcase like Incognito (though the same was said about Will Hernandez and he's been ok, attitude-wise).

I suppose I'll include the full blurb for context...

"Disappointing

Logan Stenburg, Kentucky, offensive line: A powerful guy, but needs significant development. He’s been a whipping boy of Bengals offensive line coach, Jim Turner."

It's not really surprising that he's struggling.  They are running a lot more run drills than normal. We now have a pin and pull blocking scheme and he's not good at pulling.  I like him as an overall prospect, but I don't see him as a good scheme fit here.

RE: The next great UK Pro - Truck_1_0_1_ - 01-24-2020

(01-24-2020, 10:39 AM)Whatever Wrote: I suppose I'll include the full blurb for context...

"Disappointing

Logan Stenburg, Kentucky, offensive line: A powerful guy, but needs significant development. He’s been a whipping boy of Bengals offensive line coach, Jim Turner."

It's not really surprising that he's struggling.  They are running a lot more run drills than normal. We now have a pin and pull blocking scheme and he's not good at pulling.  I like him as an overall prospect, but I don't see him as a good scheme fit here.

I will also say, John Sheeran is incredibly-biased and not really a talent guy; he's just a schmo who became prominent on CJ, which is a glorified fansite.

I will give him though, that if he does any semblance of an eye for talent, it is 100% on the oline; he knows his stuff.

RE: The next great UK Pro - ochocincos - 01-24-2020

Paul Alexander (yes, that PA) has Stenberg as his #5 OG in the Senior Bowl. Says Stenberg is a big mauler type who needs to learn to use his feet better. Thinks he's one of the toughest OL in the entire draft and usually guys like him play in the NFL for a long time.

I'm not too worried about Senior Bowl practices. Some guys don't acclimate as fast as others. Doesn't mean they won't be good. Just means it could take longer than a few practices to really improve.

RE: The next great UK Pro - SunsetBengal - 01-24-2020

(01-24-2020, 11:20 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Paul Alexander (yes, that PA) has Stenberg as his #5 OG in the Senior Bowl. Says Stenberg is a big mauler type who needs to learn to use his feet better. Thinks he's one of the toughest OL in the entire draft and usually guys like him play in the NFL for a long time.

I'm not too worried about Senior Bowl practices. Some guys don't acclimate as fast as others. Doesn't mean they won't be good. Just means it could take longer than a few practices to really improve.

So, he's a better pick at the top of the 5th or 6th, rather than at the top of the 3rd or 4th round?  But, by the same token, he sounds a lot like a guy that we're pretty familiar with, Alex Redmond.