Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Stop comparing Joe Burrow to Dalton - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Stop comparing Joe Burrow to Dalton (/Thread-Stop-comparing-Joe-Burrow-to-Dalton)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: Stop comparing Joe Burrow to Dalton - rfaulk34 - 01-03-2020

(01-03-2020, 04:44 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Go watch some of his games from last year, and tell me if you don't notice the obvious talent and potential, regardless of rankings. If you don't, then we are just seeing different things, but that's fine as well.

The fact that he went 10/1 TD to INT while completing 65+% of his passes with his lowest rating being 151.5, in the last 4 games last year doesn't matter. 

He was 12th out of 14 QBs in the SEC 'holic!!!!11!11!!!!!111!1!!!!

It's all about ThE sTaTs!! SoMeTiMeS/111/1/111!!1!!!

RE: Stop comparing Joe Burrow to Dalton - Bengalholic - 01-03-2020

(01-03-2020, 06:38 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The fact that he went 10/1 TD to INT while completing 65+% of his passes with his lowest rating being 151.5, in the last 4 games last year doesn't matter. 

Well, when you look at LSU in 2018, they were running a lot of heavy packages and there wasn't much creativity. This year, they're running a lot of 11 personnel, spreading out their play makers, a lot of motion and even play action. They're creating mismatches and exploiting weaknesses in the defenses. Just entirely different offensive concepts than last year. 

IMO, to get a fair assessment of Burrow, you have to take a long look at what he was able to do in the confines of last years offense, and what he was able to do when it was opened up and unleashed this year. Stats, rankings and projections are all fun...but actually watching what the player does with the circumstances he's working with, gives you a far better insight into the player himself.

RE: Stop comparing Joe Burrow to Dalton - fredtoast - 01-03-2020

(01-03-2020, 06:38 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The fact that he went 10/1 TD to INT while completing 65+% of his passes with his lowest rating being 151.5, in the last 4 games last year doesn't matter. 

Two of those last four games were against 2-10 Arkansas and 2-11 Rice.

But why look at a full season when you can cherry pick just four.

RE: Stop comparing Joe Burrow to Dalton - bengalfan74 - 01-03-2020

(01-03-2020, 06:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I never gave a definition.  All I keep pointing out is that last year he was the 12th rated QB in the 14 team SEC?

What other definition are you claiming I have used?

Who out of those 11 rated higher are better than him ?

RE: Stop comparing Joe Burrow to Dalton - fredtoast - 01-03-2020

(01-03-2020, 07:44 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Who out of those 11 rated higher are better than him ?

Hard to say.

I have not seen the others play with Burrow's coaches and receivers. Tagovailoa is the only one who is clearly more skilled, but he can't stay healthy.

RE: Stop comparing Joe Burrow to Dalton - jason - 01-03-2020

(01-03-2020, 07:14 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Well, when you look at LSU in 2018, they were running a lot of heavy packages and there wasn't much creativity. This year, they're running a lot of 11 personnel, spreading out their play makers, a lot of motion and even play action. They're creating mismatches and exploiting weaknesses in the defenses. Just entirely different offensive concepts that last year. 

IMO, to get a fair assessment of Burrow, you have to take a long look at what he was able to do in the confines of last years offense, and what he was able to do when it was opened up and unleashed this year. Stats, rankings and projections are all fun...but actually watching what the player does with the circumstances he's working with, gives you a far better insight into the player himself.

It'll be interesting to see what he can do outta the shotgun on 4th and 1...

RE: Stop comparing Joe Burrow to Dalton - Bengalholic - 01-03-2020

(01-03-2020, 08:04 PM)jason Wrote: It'll be interesting to see what he can do outta the shotgun on 4th and 1...

[Image: tenor.gif]

RE: Stop comparing Joe Burrow to Dalton - Passepartout - 01-03-2020

Yeah as Burrow will be the #1 pick unless it changes. And that could mean Andy Dalton's days with Cincinnati are over and done.

RE: Stop comparing Joe Burrow to Dalton - Nicomo Cosca - 01-03-2020

(01-03-2020, 02:22 PM)jj22 Wrote: That might be an answer for one year but 5 straight?

No other team outside those 3 (Pats, Saints, Seahawks) had equal/similar supporting cast?

A lot of teams have/had better supporting casts and didn't have a run like that "in spite of" their bum QB.

Funny that its always Dalton that took us to 5 straight playoffs (no mention of how good the team’s were around him), but the playoff losses were a whole team problem...

RE: Stop comparing Joe Burrow to Dalton - Catmandude123 - 01-03-2020

(01-03-2020, 03:16 PM)depthchart Wrote: Fair enough.

I saw Trent Dilfer get interviewed by Colin Cowherd a few days ago.

Colin asked Trent who he would take between Tua Tagovailoa and Joe Burrow.

Dilfer said "I think Tua is the single best prospect I have ever studied". He also said that Tua was "so uniquely gifted in so many ways" and that he could be a generational talent.

Dilfer also said that Tua was "head and shoulders" better than Joe Burrow and Justin Herbert.

I also heard Dilfer say that Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields were more gifted prospects than Joe Burrow. Dilfer implied that he has first hand knowledge of these players.

Dilfer did say that Burrow's football IQ was beyond his years.

It will be interesting to see how NFL scouts view these prospects and how they might rate them compared to other recent prospects that have been successful.

Joe Burrow is getting a lot of Media attention right now but as you say the full Draft evaluation process is still ahead.
And just what team does Dilfer scout for? Tua may be good but do you really want another first rounder who can't play his first year and may not ever heal. Also I didn't know you could transport into the future and take a player(Lawrence) who won't be eligible in 2020.

(01-03-2020, 04:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: In 2018 he was the 12th ranked QB in the 14 team SEC behind a lot of guys you never heard of.

Making up stuff you think no one will research again? 7th in passing yards. tied for 8th in y/att. 2nd best in ints(5). 4th in rushing. Pretty good numbers for a QB coming into a new system.

RE: Stop comparing Joe Burrow to Dalton - jj22 - 01-03-2020

(01-03-2020, 08:38 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Funny that its always Dalton that took us to 5 straight playoffs (no mention of how good the team’s were around him), but the playoff losses were a whole team problem...

I try to consistently say he "led" a team (because however bad he was he was the QB of those team, and they won). Maybe I haven't a couple times, but I consciously think to avoid giving him all the credit because we did have a line and Defense. And better coaches. I try not to walk into that trap, but maybe I have recently.

RE: Stop comparing Joe Burrow to Dalton - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 01-03-2020

(01-03-2020, 07:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Hard to say.

I have not seen the others play with Burrow's coaches and receivers. Tagovailoa is the only one who is clearly more skilled, but he can't stay healthy.

Of course it is hard to say. Hilarious

Burrow be damn good Fred, damn good.

RE: Stop comparing Joe Burrow to Dalton - Gdale_Bengal - 01-03-2020

People should stop comparing burrow to any other qb. He is unlike any player in recent memory.

And stop saying they should get trevor next year. You assume he is declaring and want us to pick first again. I dont want to purposefully l ou see another 14 games next year to hope that one guy will magic ax lly save this franchise.

Burrow is the most durable and best prospect for the bengals this year. Deal with it.

RE: Stop comparing Joe Burrow to Dalton - rfaulk34 - 01-03-2020

(01-03-2020, 09:56 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Of course it is hard to say. Hilarious

Burrow be damn good Fred, damn good.

I don't know whether to read that as a pirate or a homeboy. 

RE: Stop comparing Joe Burrow to Dalton - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 01-03-2020

(01-03-2020, 10:20 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I don't know whether to read that as a pirate or a homeboy. 

More like Yoda talking Rfaulk.  Cool 

Burrow be good I say...

(01-03-2020, 10:19 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Burrow is the most durable and best prospect for the bengals this year. Deal with it.

Durability is my only concern. Games I have seen him plat he seems to challenge tacklers when he gets to the second level. Learning to protect himself may be the biggest challenge for the coaching staff.

RE: Stop comparing Joe Burrow to Dalton - Gdale_Bengal - 01-03-2020

(01-03-2020, 10:37 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Durability is my only concern. Games I have seen him plat he seems to challenge tacklers when he gets to the second level. Learning to protect himself may be the biggest challenge for the coaching staff.

All young talented qbs attack the line of scrimmage and not sliding for protection. 

Reading pro offenses, looking off safeties, and changing plays will be his toughest tasks. When he gets his bell ring by an nfl linebacker will make him change his ways

(01-03-2020, 10:46 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: All young talented qbs attack the line of scrimmage and not sliding for protection. 

Reading pro offenses, looking off safeties, and changing plays will be his toughest tasks. When he gets his bell ring by an nfl linebacker will make him change his ways

I said the same thing about Lamar Jackson early on and how he would get killed in the NFL.

I was wrong, at least to this point I have been. But yeah, Burrow will learn.

Burrow is a better passer though in my opinion which I favor more in a young QB myself.

RE: Stop comparing Joe Burrow to Dalton - bengalfan74 - 01-03-2020

(01-03-2020, 07:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Hard to say.

Funny, how you throw that in there about Burrow. Tua I suppose is doing it all on his own ?