Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
So, what's wrong with Joe? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: So, what's wrong with Joe? (/Thread-So-what-s-wrong-with-Joe)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: So, what's wrong with Joe? - Nicomo Cosca - 01-14-2020

(01-14-2020, 08:09 PM)J24 Wrote: Both kinda came out of know where their respective Senior years and Carson was pretty Athletic in 2003. Dude ran 4.65 40  AT 232 pounds.

Carson was always a statue in the pocket though. Their styles couldn’t be more different.

RE: So, what's wrong with Joe? - J24 - 01-14-2020

(01-14-2020, 08:10 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Carson was always a statue in the pocket though. Their styles couldn’t be more different.

That had more to do with the system then him. 

RE: So, what's wrong with Joe? - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 01-14-2020

(01-14-2020, 06:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That is a shame, as he had at least 4 balls that were perfectly placed, that the receivers simply did not make the catch.  A couple of good examples are the deep ball to the end zone, down the Left sideline.  I don't think many QBs can drop a ball in the basket as well as Joe did, it's just too bad that the receiver was looking the wrong direction.  Another was one of those quick release throws, where the slot man was wide open with room to run on a slant route from the right side.  I think the ball just bounced off the guy's chest.  Seems like there were a couple more good examples, but those two stuck out to me the most.

Yes, there were a few plays where the Receivers didn't help Joe out for sure. Love how he throws players open and how he 
is so comfortable navigating the pocket. He makes defenders look silly and makes it so the Corners have to try and cover all 
day which is impossible. Rare abilities that we have always needed in a QB.

(01-14-2020, 06:51 PM)lone bengal Wrote: Agree 100 % I don’t want Burrow to end up like Andrew Luck. I know everybody gets excited about skill players but good teams are built up front. My fear is the Bengals tag Green , give Mixon big money and sign a bunch of our own below average players and cry poor in free agency. There’s only one good free agent tackle in Jack Concklin from the Titians who the Bengals probably won’t overpay for. I know they don’t like to pay guards but there are some good young guards hitting the market in , Joe Tuney NE, Brandon Scherff Was , and Graham Glasgow Det.

Definitely have to help Burrow out and get the Line solid for him no question.

(01-14-2020, 06:59 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sometimes saying that a guys is a "product of the system" is accurate, like in the case of Johnny Football.  However, in other cases its just total bunk, made up by people that have no legitimate issues to knock a guy on.

In Joe Burrow's situation, it's literally impossible for him to have been a "system" guy.  Before he went to LSU, they had no wide-open offensive style.  They literally changed their entire offensive mind set at the time Joe came to town.   

And we should do the same after last season's poor Offensive production. I do like how Turner changed up the blocking scheme
and it resulted in Mixon and the running game really improving. Need to bring back Mixon to who is a great pass catcher and a 
good back at picking up the blitz. We need to try and emulate LSU's Offense as much as possible to keep Burrow comfortable.

(01-14-2020, 08:15 PM)J24 Wrote: That had more to do with the system then him. 

Nah. He was an old school pure pocket passer. Moved like an old lady when he did try to run. Idc what his 40 time in shorts was.

RE: So, what's wrong with Joe? - SunsetBengal - 01-14-2020

(01-14-2020, 08:07 PM)kevin Wrote: Herbert will be drafted by Dairy Queen  ?

OK, dumb joke aside,  here is another reason Mike Brown should want Joe Burrow.  TICKET SALES.  Besides no wins, the Bengals have many empty seats, Too Many.   Joe Heisman will SELL TICKETS and probably be the #1 selling NFL jersey going into season.  Another reason they should give him # 9 that he has worn at LSU.    That he is from Ohio and has local fans already won't hurt TICKET SALES either.   

This is Pro Football so MONEY is a factor.  Not that it isn't a factor in college.   The word PRO means MONEY.  Mike Brown has one very empty stadium on the banks of the mighty Ohio.  Lets face it, Burrow is going to sell more tickets this off season than Herbert would.  

So just take Burrow and use next weeks Senior Bowl to look at a Blocker top of 2 and a 4-3 LB top of 3.   I say the Blocker first because just as The Mean Machine in The Longest Yard,  PROTECT THE SUPERSTAR.  Plus that Blocker will help Mixon also.  Drafting first in 2 and 3 should bring us a 1st round talent Blocker and a 2nd round talent Linebacker to add to Heisman Burrow.   There are very good Blockers and Linebackers at this Senior Bowl to FOCUS on, with Pick #1 pretty much locked in now.  Such as Wanogho and Dye.   With the unwrapped package of Alabama Blocker Jonah Williams still under the Christmas Tree from last years draft, if they add a Blocker top pick in 2 this year, we might just start having some Blocking for Burrow and Mixon.

Now one thing Mike Browns bald little head loves is Money, and Joe Burrow is the fastest way to fill all the empty seats. 

Just imagine the thunderous roar of 65,535 rabid Bengal fans all chanting;  Joe!  Joe!  Joe!   :andy: (this message is Andy approved)  Ninja 

RE: So, what's wrong with Joe? - kevin - 01-14-2020

(01-14-2020, 08:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Just imagine the thunderous roar of 65,535 rabid Bengal fans all chanting;  Joe!  Joe!  Joe!   :andy: (this message is Andy approved)  Ninja 

Be it Burrow or Mixon making a big play.   MB is Mike Brown but also Mixon Burrow.  It's Fate.   The all Joe backfield or the MB backfield.  Give us a cup of Joe to Go. ...GO BENGALS. 

and Mike Brown, imagine 65.535 Ticket Sales PLUS selling out those Luxury Suits. Cha-Ching. $$$$$

RE: So, what's wrong with Joe? - Gdale_Bengal - 01-14-2020

I guess Burrow's performance has silenced the posters who wanted Young or to trade back for at least a day. I still have to argue with people who arent on this site though.

RE: So, what's wrong with Joe? - Forever Spinning Vinyl - 01-14-2020

Joe Brady is now in Carolina coaching the Panthers. There goes that hope.
What # does Carolina draft?

(01-14-2020, 08:48 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: I guess Burrow's performance has silenced the posters who wanted Young or to trade back for at least a day. I still have to argue with people who arent on this site though.

Yeah, people either have changed their minds, or have gone MIA.

Now we just have to deal with the worrywarts that keep bringing up Eli. Maybe after the draft they’ll let us be excited for like 2-3 days before staring in on the next bit of negativity...

(01-14-2020, 08:53 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Joe Brady is now in Carolina coaching the Panthers. There goes that hope.

7th. And no we shouldn’t trade the pick.

RE: So, what's wrong with Joe? - Forever Spinning Vinyl - 01-14-2020

Well, if they intend to tell Joe "Declare you won't play for Cincy, we'll trade up to get you.", they just made their first move.

It would be a big mistake to do that though. Mike Brown will probably draft him anyway just to sit him. Mike Brown does not like being told what to do or what not to do. Ask former #1 Carson Palmer about that.

(01-14-2020, 08:42 PM)kevin Wrote: Be it Burrow or Mixon making a big play.   MB is Mike Brown but also Mixon Burrow.  It's Fate.   The all Joe backfield or the MB backfield.  Give us a cup of Joe to Go. ...GO BENGALS. 

and Mike Brown, imagine 65.535 Ticket Sales PLUS selling out those Luxury Suits.  Cha-Ching.  $$$$$

Wouldn't it be something, if this was the year that Mike Brown decided to retire?

RE: So, what's wrong with Joe? - Destro - 01-14-2020

He's not made of steel, so that's a problem unless the O-line is improved. By god they better get the best lineman they can draft and/or buy so Burrow doesn't end up on IR. Those scumbags of Pittsburgh are itching to hit him late, low and often.

Watch them draft a kicker and CB in the second and third round or something to just troll the fan base.

(01-14-2020, 10:27 PM)Destro Wrote: He's not made of steel, so that's a problem unless the O-line is improved. By god they better get the best lineman they can draft and/or buy so Burrow doesn't end up on IR. Those scumbags of Pittsburgh are itching to hit him late, low and often.

Watch them draft a kicker and CB in the second and third round or something to just troll the fan base.

He ain’t made of glass either. You see the hit that LBer laid on him last night? Didn’t stop him.

(01-14-2020, 10:30 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He ain’t made of glass either. You see the hit that LBer laid on him last night? Didn’t stop him.

I mean, our QB's didn't get hurt this season behind this so called terrible O-line that should be improved next season under Turner.

With Jonah coming in and hopefully a good FA and an early draft pick this might not even be a logical concern with Burrow.

Dude is a master at navigating the pocket and we actually have a decent Center now.

(01-14-2020, 10:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I mean, our QB's didn't get hurt this season behind this so called terrible O-line that should be improved next season under Turner.

With Jonah coming in and hopefully a good FA and an early draft pick this might not even be a logical concern with Burrow.

Dude is a master at navigating the pocket and we actually have a decent Center now.

Yeah, the whole “QB X will get killed behind our OL” is a tired narrative that gets parroted way too much around here.

Dalton’s only injuries were to his thumb and Driskel and Finley somehow didn’t die either...

And none of them are as elusive as Burrow.

(01-14-2020, 08:53 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Joe Brady is now in Carolina coaching the Panthers. There goes that hope.

Hmm, in light of Keuchly retiring, I'd say the Panthers will be doing all they are able to, in order to be in position to draft Simmons.

https://www.panthers.com/news/luke-kuechly-announces-retirement?fbclid=IwAR23raoVPestMrSoQ01FYueYArfpsid2dMFa8k8TKGYPdEfl2Zkocuk418A

RE: So, what's wrong with Joe? - Shake n Blake - 01-14-2020

(01-14-2020, 05:45 PM)BRM13 Wrote: If you want to pick nits, I think the biggest one is his age.  He is much older than Lawrence.  He's even a year or two older than Lamar Jackson.  The reason this might matter is that I have read recently (The Athletic?) that QBs apparently take a big leap around age 23.  Burrow has already had his big leap.  Of course it was great one all the way to possibly the best QB season ever in college.  He doesn't really have to get a lot better; he just has to not get hurt.  If he was younger, there might still be one more 'growth spurt' in his game.  This is the real difference between Burrow and Lawrence.  Lawrence is more likely (but no sure thing) to get noticeably better than he is right now (e.g., improve touch, bring down high throws).

That said, they have to take Burrow #1.  Burrow's 'right now' is tremendous.  It has been amazing the past few games watching Burrow extend plays with his head up and throw accurately on the run.  He is also very good at slants and deep sideline throws (over the top, not out routes).  That accuracy is extremely valuable; I think he would kill in an NFL West Coast timing offense.  He isn't as fast as Kyler Murrary or Lamar Jackson, but he is plenty athletic enough to extend plays, pick up first downs, and generally distort defenses.   

Also, unlike our last two starting QBs, Palmer and Dalton, Burrow seems like a more classic team leader personality.  Considering how poorly this organization is run, locker room leaders are crucial (e.g., Whitworth or back when they last won a playoff game, Esiason).  Another thing I really like about Burrow is that he performed at an insanely high level in all his 'big' games. I don't know if this a real thing, but it seems like he has 'it' and his teammates respond to him.

Just another thing to love about this pick. He definitely has the leadership trait that Palmer and Dalton lacked.

(01-14-2020, 07:34 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: I like Burrow for sure,He’s really even faster than I thought he was.That part sort of surprised me.Of course we all know that the Bengals will be getting offers to trade away their first round pick.

For me, it's not so much about his speed as the fact that his pocket awareness seems off the charts and he knows how to move his legs to escape sacks. He avoided what easily should've been 3 sacks last night.

(01-14-2020, 10:57 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, the whole “QB X will get killed behind our OL” is a tired narrative that gets parroted way too much around here.

Dalton’s only injuries were to his thumb and Driskel and Finley somehow didn’t die either...

And none of them are as elusive as Burrow.

Spot on, been hearing that narrative for years. Dalton only got injured trying to tackle dudes he threw picks to.

Plus the NFL is a QB friendly league now, they are protected. Burrow should thrive in the NFL of today.

(01-14-2020, 10:58 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hmm, in light of Keuchly retiring, I'd say the Panthers will be doing all they are able to, in order to be in position to draft Simmons.

https://www.panthers.com/news/luke-kuechly-announces-retirement?fbclid=IwAR23raoVPestMrSoQ01FYueYArfpsid2dMFa8k8TKGYPdEfl2Zkocuk418A

Keuchly was one heck of a LB, wish him the best.

(01-14-2020, 11:01 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Just another thing to love about this pick. He definitely has the leadership trait that Palmer and Dalton lacked.

For me, it's not so much about his speed as the fact that his pocket awareness seems off the charts and he knows how to move his legs to escape sacks. He avoided what easily should've been 3 sacks last night.

Yeah, haven't seen a college QB feel a pocket like that before honestly. Saw Aaron Rodgers a few years ago do something similar.

But never in college. Rare talent.