Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Why not keep Andy as a backup? (/Thread-Why-not-keep-Andy-as-a-backup)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Nately120 - 04-26-2020

(04-26-2020, 11:55 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Best case scenario is Dalton takes a pay cut and stays on as backup. That way we won't totally go in the crapper if Burrow gets hurt. Do I think this will happen, probably not.

I don't WANT Burrow to get hurt, but if he does shouldn't we want to go directly in the crapper?  You have to figure we are the happiest we've been since 1988 right now and we owe it all to the team losing nearly every game.

If Burrow is out in 2020 the last thing I want is to win games.  If we go straight to the bottom again we can trade the Trevor Lawrence pick for the 17 first round picks we didn't take for Burrow and thus the 5+ SB dynasty begins.  

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - bfine32 - 04-26-2020

(04-26-2020, 11:49 AM)McC Wrote: The stupidity of paying a BACKUP QB eighteen ***** million would cast a pall over the whole season.  Andy Dalton is not staying.  Deal with it.

If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that since this thread back in January I'd be able to pay Dalton's salary. I don't know why it "Would cast a pall" (I'll have to ad that to the made up reasons). I consider it an investment in Joe's future. We are not getting the extended off season we usually do; having Andy on board is a safety blanket. 

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Luvnit2 - 04-26-2020

(04-26-2020, 12:03 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that since this thread back in January I'd be able to pay Dalton's salary. I don't know why it "Would cast a pall" (I'll have to ad that to the made up reasons). I consider it an investment in Joe's future. We are not getting the extended off season we usually do; having Andy on board is a safety blanket. 

I agree and thought bad idea awhile ago to keep AD, now I think AD will beat him out in 2020 to start beginning of the year while Burrow gets his feet wet

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Nicomo Cosca - 04-26-2020

(04-26-2020, 11:50 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Ryan Tannehill just got done beating Baltimore and getting KC fans to melt down prior to that comeback, so I wouldn't be so sure the AFC is completely locked up.  With that being said, I still can't grasp NE rolling with Stidham and Winston is going to the Saints (not that they'd want him), so Dalton getting cut and then going to NE and having a Palmer in AZ-style resurgence of semi-relevance could be plausible.

If/when Dalton gets cut they'd be nuts to not at least kick his tires, or some such. But I could see Dalton just clipboarding it this season behind Burrow.

Actually that was Derrick Henry. Tannehill threw a whopping 7 passes for 88 yds in that Baltimore game. Ryan Finley could have been playing QB.

(04-26-2020, 12:03 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't WANT Burrow to get hurt, but if he does shouldn't we want to go directly in the crapper?  You have to figure we are the happiest we've been since 1988 right now and we owe it all to the team losing nearly every game.

If Burrow is out in 2020 the last thing I want is to win games.  If we go straight to the bottom again we can trade the Trevor Lawrence pick for the 17 first round picks we didn't take for Burrow and thus the 5+ SB dynasty begins.  

Old guys like me would like to be alive so the thought of a tank job in 2020 would piss me off. Didn't the Browns just do that again? How did it work out?

(04-26-2020, 12:03 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that since this thread back in January I'd be able to pay Dalton's salary. I don't know why it "Would cast a pall" (I'll have to ad that to the made up reasons). I consider it an investment in Joe's future. We are not getting the extended off season we usually do; having Andy on board is a safety blanket. 

I'm with you in the sense that I don't trust ZT and his crew to coach Burrow nearly as effectively as they could with Dalton on board.  If we are sold on this notion that Joe Burrow is the savior of the Bengals then running Dalton out of town because we "don't need him" isn't the wisest of moves.  This is right after Mahommes goes MVP and wins a SB due in no small part to having a veteran QB there to help him along (well, that and Andy Reid).

There does seem to be a sort of disdain NFL fans have for their team having more than one competent QB on the roster.

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - fredtoast - 04-26-2020

(04-26-2020, 12:03 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't WANT Burrow to get hurt, but if he does shouldn't we want to go directly in the crapper?  You have to figure we are the happiest we've been since 1988 right now and we owe it all to the team losing nearly every game.

No fan base should ever be happier about winning the offseason than winning the regular season.  That is just pathetic.

(04-26-2020, 12:03 PM)Nately120 Wrote: If Burrow is out in 2020 the last thing I want is to win games.  

What if we are 5-3 when he gets injured and he will only miss 5 games?

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Sled21 - 04-26-2020

But then if Burrow played most of the season, then Andy won in the playoffs..... just think of the arguments we would miss out on!!!

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Bengalstripes9 - 04-26-2020

I don't see how we can afford Dalton at this point. The coaches like Hart at RT, I don't see them cutting him. I would prefer to keep Williams at safety for depth. Dalton is the one guy that is vastly over-paid.

Will he take a pay cut? Would a pay cut be enough? We need more money to re-sign Mixon and AJ, and sign our draft picks. We need to make room somehow..

I don't see the need for Dalton. I wouldn't be against keeping him if money weren't an issue. He's a team-first guy. He's not a bad QB. But I just don't think we can afford him. To cut someone else to make room for him would just make our team worse.

I like Dalton. I think he's better than people think. But obviously nobody wants him, otherwise he would have been traded by now. Burrow is the future, might as well let him get started.

The only reason to keep Dalton would be to increase his trade value, and trade him before the deadline. But at this point I would rather see Burrow get as many reps as possible. A QB competition sounds good from the perspective of having Burrow earn his spot. But I'd rather see Burrow get all the reps as he's gunna be the guy sooner or later. Also, Burrow basically earned his spot with his performance last year.

(04-26-2020, 12:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No fan base should ever be happier about winning the offseason than winning the regular season.  That is just pathetic.

Normally I'd agree, but we had 3 losing seasons that sucked prior to 2019 so at least there it felt like we were losing with purpose.  Then again I've also pointed out that the 1st QB off the board has done very little winning compared to the guys who go to better franchises later in the draft.

If pathetic got us Joe Burrow I'll take it, but yeah I'd rather stop being pathetic now.

(04-26-2020, 12:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What if we are 5-3 when he gets injured and he will only miss 5 games?

Socratic method, Fred.

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - McC - 04-26-2020

(04-26-2020, 12:06 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I agree and thought bad idea awhile ago to keep AD, now I think AD will beat him out in 2020 to start beginning of the year while Burrow gets his feet wet

Now you're just trolling.  Please stop the nonsense.  

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - SHRacerX - 04-26-2020

Too much money for a backup ($17 million) and I want a clear path for Burrow to be the leader on the team.

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Nicomo Cosca - 04-26-2020

(04-26-2020, 12:06 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I agree and thought bad idea awhile ago to keep AD, now I think AD will beat him out in 2020 to start beginning of the year while Burrow gets his feet wet

Why do you keep going on about Dalton beating out Burrow? Dalton got benched for Ryan Finley ffs, and he’s been terrible for the past few years. He’s not beating out the best QB prospect since Andrew Luck.

Some straight up delusional Dalton homering going on here. I know you think he’s a super nice guy, and you love him dearly, but you have to let him go. The Joe Burrow era has begun.

You've heard it 354,000,000 times?  Kudos.  I would've lost track after the first couple hundred million.

(04-26-2020, 12:21 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Why do you keep going on about Dalton beating out Burrow? Dalton got benched for Ryan Finley ffs, and he’s been terrible for the past few years. He’s not beating out the best QB prospect since Andrew Luck.

Some straight up delusional Dalton homering going on here. I know you think he’s a super nice guy, and you love him dearly, but you have to let him go. The Joe Burrow era has begun.

As I said, I love Joe Burrow. But my experience tells me Dalton in a fair competition in camp, Dalton may beat him out.

If that happens, we have our starting QB making 17.7 million and our back up making around 9 million.

Why is that unrealistic when teams are paying 1 QB 30 million?

(04-26-2020, 12:07 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Actually that was Derrick Henry. Tannehill threw a whopping 7 passes for 88 yds in that Baltimore game. Ryan Finley could have been playing QB.

Yeah but Tannehill got sacked 8 times that game and with Ryan Finley that means 8 fumbles.

(04-26-2020, 12:09 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm with you in the sense that I don't trust ZT and his crew to coach Burrow nearly as effectively as they could with Dalton on board.  If we are sold on this notion that Joe Burrow is the savior of the Bengals then running Dalton out of town because we "don't need him" isn't the wisest of moves.  This is right after Mahommes goes MVP and wins a SB due in no small part to having a veteran QB there to help him along (well, that and Andy Reid).

There does seem to be a sort of disdain NFL fans have for their team having more than one competent QB on the roster.

Folks that say it's stupid to pay a backup that much are looking at the situation through a narrow lens in my opinion. We'd be paying Andy for much more than that. Who in the world could let Joe know what he may see on the field when he takes on our divisional foes?

The absolute best scenario would be to make a deal with Andy that we'll extend his contract an additional year with him getting all his loot this year but spreading his cap over 2. Then promise to shop him next year when the market is not as saturated or trade mid-year if we're good and another team suffers an injury a QB.

(04-26-2020, 12:08 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Old guys like me would like to be alive so the thought of a tank job in 2020 would piss me off. Didn't the Browns just do that again? How did it work out?

Yeah, well I'd get to watch Burrow and a boatload of talent play in 2021.  Double up on your vitamins so you can watch the dynasty!

(04-26-2020, 12:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Folks that say it's stupid to pay a backup that much are looking at the situation through a narrow lens in my opinion. We'd be paying Andy for much more than that. Who in the world could let Joe know what he may see on the field when he takes on our divisional foes?

The absolute best scenario would be to make a deal with Andy that we'll extend his contract an additional year with him getting all his loot this year but spreading his cap over 2. Then promise to shop him next year when the market is not as saturated or trade mid-year if we're good and another team suffers an injury a QB.

Sure.  Let's have the second highest paid player on the team hold a clipboard and tell Burrow stuff.

(04-26-2020, 12:34 PM)McC Wrote: Sure.  Let's have the second highest paid player on the team hold a clipboard and tell Burrow stuff.

nah probably best to cut him and save Mikey some money. We do have Pumpkin's inheritance to worry about. What may be best for Joe be damned