Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Why not keep Andy as a backup? (/Thread-Why-not-keep-Andy-as-a-backup)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Nately120 - 04-26-2020

(04-26-2020, 12:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Folks that say it's stupid to pay a backup that much are looking at the situation through a narrow lens in my opinion. We'd be paying Andy for much more than that. Who in the world could let Joe know what he may see on the field when he takes on our divisional foes?

The absolute best scenario would be to make a deal with Andy that we'll extend his contract an additional year with him getting all his loot this year but spreading his cap over 2. Then promise to shop him next year when the market is not as saturated or trade mid-year if we're good and another team suffers an injury a QB.

The 2019 season looked so bad from a coaching standpoint that I don't quite know what to think.  ZT was supposed to be the guy who was going to resurrect Dalton's career and finally win in primetime and against the Steelers.  We looked so bad last year that I hesitate to cut Dalton and just hope that ZT and crew are worthy of coaching this whizzbang amazing QB prospect we have.

If Dalton is the first long-term starter who doesn't start demanding a trade we should keep him around for a year to help Burrow.  That's all that matters in 2020...Burrow's development.  Yes, it would be great if Dalton would take a severe paycut and put on a Bengals hoodie and be an assistant QB coach or something, but that's not the way it works in the NFL.

We are going to overpay for coach Dalton for 1 year.

(04-26-2020, 12:34 PM)McC Wrote: Sure.  Let's have the second highest paid player on the team hold a clipboard and tell Burrow stuff.

That beats cutting Dalton and hoping the disaster that was 2019 magically walks out the door with him.  Our HC seems a little too overwhelmed with this job to be the dedicated QB coach we hired him to be.

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Luvnit2 - 04-26-2020

(04-26-2020, 12:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Folks that say it's stupid to pay a backup that much are looking at the situation through a narrow lens in my opinion. We'd be paying Andy for much more than that. Who in the world could let Joe know what he may see on the field when he takes on our divisional foes?

The absolute best scenario would be to make a deal with Andy that we'll extend his contract an additional year with him getting all his loot this year but spreading his cap over 2. Then promise to shop him next year when the market is not as saturated or trade mid-year if we're good and another team suffers an injury a QB.

If fans would really think about it and take away their disdain and lack of respect for AD (the Bengals record holder for a QB in almost every category), they would realize.
1. Bengals have nothing to lose by having Dalton and Burrow compete in training camp. If Burrow wins, they can then cut him or trade him and not pay him any money and save 17.7 million dollars.
2. Most QB Gurus including Andy Reid did not start their stud drafted QB in year one. We did not with Palmer as well so it is common for a team that wants to have best shot to win now, not in the future years only.
3.Other ways to find cap space like signing Green to a 3 year deal and structuring more money (not guaranteed) in years 2 and 3).
4. I love Gio, but is he more important than a possible starting QB? No, so easy cut.

They told Burrow he would have to win the job, he said I know which tells me to the dismay of many, as of now AD is going nowhere unless a team makes an offer MB can't refuse because they want to win again in 2020, not 2021. They have shown no signs of rebuilding this off season, just the opposite.

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - McC - 04-26-2020

(04-26-2020, 12:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: nah probably best to cut him and save Mikey some money. We do have Pumpkin's inheritance. What may be best for Joe be damned  

It ain't what's best for Joe.  It ain't even close. 

What would he teach him?  Let's see:

How to panic in the pocket.
How to poop himself in the playoffs.
How to come up small in primetime.
How to be the Steelers stepchild.
How to throw the ball out of bounds on 4th down.

Yeah, that would be some truly invaluable information.

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Nately120 - 04-26-2020

(04-26-2020, 12:41 PM)McC Wrote: It ain't what's best for Joe.  It ain't even close. 

What do you expect Zac "4th String CFL QB" Taylor and Alex "16 TDs and 24 INTs for his career" Van Pelt to teach Burrow?

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - bfine32 - 04-26-2020

(04-26-2020, 12:41 PM)McC Wrote: It ain't what's best for Joe.  It ain't even close. 

You're right. Best to let him learn how to be a pro QB from Finley

(04-26-2020, 12:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You're right. Best to let him learn how to be a pro QB from Finley

Hilarious   Hilarious   Hilarious

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Johnny Cupcakes - 04-26-2020

No time to read through 17 pages of opinions, so apologies if these are re-tread thoughts.

I would be completely fine with keeping Andy here as a backup. And although I understand that almost 18 million is a huge price for a backup, if we don’t end up spending then what’s the worry? I don’t have to pay it.
Keep him around, and at worst, we overpay someone who will be a good mentor for Joe Burrow, and an amazing insurance policy if Burrow were to have to miss any time. We’d have the best backup QB in the league. Also, when a starter inevitably does go down, you could use him as trade bait and get a hell of a lot more for him than you would right now.

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Fan_in_Kettering - 04-26-2020

If this was any other non-pandemic year I would advocate cutting Andy Dalton as soon as possible. He’ll be on someone’s roster; I guarantee it.

However, we do not yet know what the league will do with respect to things like training camp and preseason. If it were up to me I would keep Andy on the roster at least through training camp and if there’s a preseason. God bless Joe Burrow but I want a safety net there. The falloff to Ryan Finley is just too far.

There will be trade offers for Dalton as the season progresses and this year, unlike last year, I think the Bengals will be much more proactive getting a win-win deal with another team. The Bengals will eventually have to trade or cut Andy Dalton — and I’m in that camp — but it doesn’t have to be right now or even this summer.

If it happens soon, fine, and if it doesn’t that’s okay too. Andy isn’t a diva or a drama queen who will blow up Twitter with locker room politics; that’s not his way. When Andy was benched for Ryan Finley last season he respectfully expressed displeasure, got over it, and held the SurfacePro.

The Bengals are in a can’t-lose situation here. Let’s be thankful for it.

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - fredtoast - 04-26-2020

(04-26-2020, 12:47 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote:  Also, when a starter inevitably does go down, you could use him as trade bait and get a hell of a lot more for him than you would right now.

I have not read through this whole thread either, but this is the way I could see Mike Brown thinking.  This offseason was one of the worst ever for trying to trade a veteran QB, but there is a very good chance some team will lose their starting QB before the trade deadline.  And I am sure Mike remembers how that worked out with Palmer.

If we cut Dalton's salary for this year there are no great free agents left to spend it on, and as Bfine has pointed out we would still be paying less for Dalton and Burrow than many teams are paying for their top 2 QBs.

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Synric - 04-26-2020

(04-26-2020, 12:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have not read through this whole thread either, but this is the way I could see Mike Brown thinking.  This offseason was one of the worst ever for trying to trade a veteran QB, but there is a very good chance some team will lose their starting QB before the trade deadline.  And I am sure Mike remembers how that worked out with Palmer.

If we cut Dalton's salary for this year there are no great free agents left to spend it on, and as Bfine has pointed out we would still be paying less for Dalton and Burrow than many teams are paying for their top 2 QBs.

Joe Mixon.

(04-26-2020, 12:55 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: If this was any other non-pandemic year I would advocate cutting Andy Dalton as soon as possible.  He’ll be on someone’s roster; I guarantee it.  

However, we do not yet know what the league will do with respect to things like training camp and preseason.  If it were up to me I would keep Andy on the roster at least through training camp and if there’s a preseason.  God bless Joe Burrow but I want a safety net there.  The falloff to Ryan Finley is just too far.

There will be trade offers for Dalton as the season progresses and this year, unlike last year, I think the Bengals will be much more proactive getting a win-win deal with another team.  The Bengals will eventually have to trade or cut Andy Dalton — and I’m in that camp — but it doesn’t have to be right now or even this summer.

If it happens soon, fine, and if it doesn’t that’s okay too.  Andy isn’t a diva or a drama queen who will blow up Twitter with locker room politics; that’s not his way.  When Andy was benched for Ryan Finley last season he respectfully expressed displeasure, got over it, and held the SurfacePro.

The Bengals are in a can’t-lose situation here.  Let’s be thankful for it.

Spot on, we have zero risk in letting AD and Burrow compete in training camp. I just think too many deep down are concerned AD wins the competition because they hate AD worse than those with Trump Derangement Syndrome hate Trump.

(04-26-2020, 12:59 PM)Synric Wrote: Joe Mixon.

He is under contract for 2020.

His extension would be 2021 and beyond

(04-26-2020, 01:01 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: He is under contract for 2020.

His extension would be 2021 and beyond

If they extend him they would spread the money through 4 years to lower cap hits. 

Similar to what they did with Tyler Boyd.

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - BengalsRocker - 04-26-2020

(04-26-2020, 12:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You're right. Best to let him learn how to be a pro QB from Finley

Finley is so bad that even he puts a "d" in his name occasionally.

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - fredtoast - 04-26-2020

(04-26-2020, 12:59 PM)Synric Wrote: Joe Mixon.

Not a free agent.

(04-26-2020, 12:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have not read through this whole thread either, but this is the way I could see Mike Brown thinking.  This offseason was one of the worst ever for trying to trade a veteran QB, but there is a very good chance some team will lose their starting QB before the trade deadline.  And I am sure Mike remembers how that worked out with Palmer.

Not that long ago Joe Flacco was making 27 million a year for the Ravens, yes 1 QB making as much as our 2 combined. Back then, we also had a lot less salary cap.

(04-26-2020, 01:02 PM)Synric Wrote: If they extend him they would spread the money through 4 years to lower cap hits. 

Similar to what they did with Tyler Boyd.

They can do that in 2021 also, he is at a great Bengal price in 2020, why pay him more? He only makes 1.7 million, less than Gio so great contract for us.

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - McC - 04-26-2020

(04-26-2020, 12:44 PM)Nately120 Wrote: What do you expect Zac "4th String CFL QB" Taylor and Alex "16 TDs and 24 INTs for his career" Van Pelt to teach Burrow?

I don't suppose Van Pelt will teach him much, being the OC for the Cleveland Browns.

So, to be a good NFL coach, one has to have been a star player in the league?  This might come as a shock to Andy Reid, Bill Belichick and pretty much any successful coach in the league.

(04-26-2020, 01:05 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: They can do that in 2021 also, he is at a great Bengal price in 2020, why pay him more?

They had Tyler Boyd at a great price in 2019 but they extended him and raised his cap hit from 2mil to 6m. 

Why would they do that? Easy its smart business they want to resign him so they can spread the cap hits of a year 3 contract through 4 years.

(04-26-2020, 01:06 PM)Synric Wrote: They had Tyler Boyd at a great price in 2019 but they extended him and raised his cap hit from 2mil to 6m. 

Why would they do that? Easy its smart business they want to resign him so they can spread the cap hits of a year 3 contract through 4 years.

Because a very good receiver is much more valuable and less risk than a RB. Same reason RB's did not come off the draft board and and 1 like Dobbins almost slid to round 3.