Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Why not keep Andy as a backup? (/Thread-Why-not-keep-Andy-as-a-backup)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - fredtoast - 04-26-2020

(04-26-2020, 06:04 PM)McC Wrote: So, now 18 is the same as 10?  We are now officially in bizarro world.

Salary cap has gone up by $22 million since then.  We can fit in Daltons $17+ million easier this year than the Jets could McCown's coontract in 2018.

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - bfine32 - 04-26-2020

(04-26-2020, 06:12 PM)McC Wrote: More word games.  8 million dollars is nothing?  Yep  Bizarro world.
Is 5% similar to 8%? 

(04-26-2020, 06:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Salary cap has gone up by $22 million since then.  We can fit in Daltons $17+ million easier this year than the Jets could McCown's coontract in 2018.

Good point. Hell McCown may have taken up a bigger % of the cap than Andy will.

***waits for goalpost move on how good Jets were that year***

How the hell did we get on the same side of a debate? 

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - McC - 04-26-2020

(04-26-2020, 06:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Is 5% similar to 8%? 
If the difference is 8 million dollars, hell no.  On what planet is 8 million dollars nothing?  How many players can be signed for that amount?

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Nicomo Cosca - 04-26-2020

(04-26-2020, 06:12 PM)McC Wrote: More word games.  8 million dollars is nothing?  Yep  Bizarro world.

These guys arguing almost 8 million is insignificant will be the same ones that want to haggle over Mixon and AJ’s contracts. You know...the guys that actually help win us games.

And here I always heard backup QB was the best job on the team, but apparently it’s also the most important. Who knew.

(04-26-2020, 06:16 PM)McC Wrote: If the difference is 8 million dollars, hell no.  On what planet is 8 million dollars nothing?  How many players can be signed for that amount?

In a $200 MIL planet. As I said: You've dug your heels in 

(04-26-2020, 06:17 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: These guys arguing almost 8 million is insignificant will be the same ones that want to haggle over Mixon and AJ’s contracts. You know...the guys that actually help win us games.

And here I always heard backup QB was the best job on the team, but apparently it’s also the most important. Who knew.

Andy will not be on the books when we have to resign Mixon or AJ. I have mentioned nothing about cutting either; nor have I said back QB is the most important job on the team. Why make things up?

(04-26-2020, 06:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Good point. Hell McCown may have taken up a bigger % of the cap than Andy will.

***waits for goalpost move on how good Jets were that year***

How the hell did we get on the same side of a debate? 

Because Fred will argue over anything, and usually takes the contrarian position to be able to do so, and you have dug your heels in on this because you started and thread about it months ago, and refuse to admit the situation has completely changed. Then you have a Dalton super fan who thinks he’ll beat out Burrow for the starters job. But who knows, maybe you guys will convince a few more people if you keep it up.

(04-26-2020, 06:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: In a $200 MIL planet. As I said: You've dug your heels in 

How many players could be signed for that amount?  Two?  Three?  Or one pretty damn good one?

You're awfully loose with Mike's money.  A helluva lot looser than he is, in fact.  Forgive me for thinking in real world terms.

(04-26-2020, 06:23 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Because Fred will argue over anything, and usually takes the contrarian position to be able to do so, and you have dug your heels in on this because you started and thread about it months ago, and refuse to admit the situation has completely changed. Then you have a Dalton super fan who thinks he’ll beat out Burrow for the starters job. But who knows, maybe you guys will convince a few more people if you keep it up.

You didn't answer the other question posed. Is $10 MIL contract in 2018 similar to a $18 MIL contract in 2020 given cap increases? 

What about the optics of paying your backup QB twice what the starter is making? That effectively cancels out the benefit of having a QB on a rookie deal.

(04-26-2020, 06:17 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: These guys arguing almost 8 million is insignificant will be the same ones that want to haggle over Mixon and AJ’s contracts. You know...the guys that actually help win us games.

When was the last time Green helped us win a game?

And tell Saints fans that back up QBs are not important.

(04-26-2020, 06:25 PM)McC Wrote: How many players could be signed for that amount?  Two?  Three?  Or one pretty damn good one?

You're awfully loose with Mike's money.  A helluva lot looser than he is, in fact.  Forgive me for thinking in real world terms.

Of course you've changed from the ALL CAPS declaration you made. You asked for a similar situation and one was provided. So now you must turn to how many players can be signed for $8 MIL.

Guess we'll see if Mikey pays it, but Tobin clearly said money will not be an issue keeping Andy.

WTS, I'm done. Enjoy your Sunday

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Bengalstripes9 - 04-26-2020

(04-26-2020, 06:17 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: These guys arguing almost 8 million is insignificant will be the same ones that want to haggle over Mixon and AJ’s contracts. You know...the guys that actually help win us games.

And that’s where I agree with you. I would rather see AJ and Mixon secured for the next 3-4 years while we develop their replacements. We can get a cheap vet QB that will be a solid backup. You can argue about the potential for injuries to your star players, but thats just the risk you take for having good players. That’s why depth is important. Hang onto Geo. Draft a running back in a couple years.

We can afford to surround Burrow with talent, so get it done. Then we’ll likely have to let Aj and Mixon walk when we go to resign Burrow.

Im not against hanging on to Dalton. It just has to be at the right price. Id rather not sacrifice depth to keep him.

(04-26-2020, 06:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Of course you've changed from the ALL CAPS declaration you made. You asked for a similar situation and one was provided. So now you must turn to how many players can be signed for $8 MIL.

Guess we'll see if Mikey pays it, but Tobin clearly said money will not be an issue keeping Andy.

Well, I'm glad I've convinced you of the error of your idea.

(04-26-2020, 06:25 PM)McC Wrote: How many players could be signed for that amount?  Two?  Three?  Or one pretty damn good one?

I don't know of any free agents available that we could sign to start for us.

(04-26-2020, 06:27 PM)McC Wrote: What about the optics of paying your backup QB twice what the starter is making? That effectively cancels out the benefit of having a QB on a rookie deal.

Great point. There is nothing more valuable in the NFL right now than a good young QB on a rookie contract. To cancel that out by paying a backup crazy money makes absolutely no sense.

(04-26-2020, 06:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Of course you've changed from the ALL CAPS declaration you made. You asked for a similar situation and one was provided. So now you must turn to how many players can be signed for $8 MIL.

Eighteen is not similar to ten.  Stub your right toe ten times and then stub your left toe eighteen times and tell me which hurts more.

(04-26-2020, 06:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know of any free agents available that we could sign to start for us.

Jason Peters is one.

(04-26-2020, 06:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: When was the last time Green helped us win a game?

And tell Saints fans that back up QBs are not important.

2018. Also the last time we beat any good teams (Ravens & Colts).

I’m perfectly happy to pay Dalton what Bridgewater was making.