Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Why not keep Andy as a backup? (/Thread-Why-not-keep-Andy-as-a-backup)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Nati#1 - 04-26-2020

I'm concerned we will start Andy to keep Burrow safe and to learn even if Burrow is better. And wasting another season with andys non scrambling ability and throwing passes 10 yard overthrown or way out of bounds or scrambling out of the pocket to just throw it away. We need Burrow now. We cannot keep Dalton.

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Nicomo Cosca - 04-26-2020

(04-26-2020, 06:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know of any free agents available that we could sign to start for us.

Jason Peters. And before you start going on about his age (remember how wrong you were about Whit) he graded out at 82.4 last season. We don’t have anyone on our OL even close to that.

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Bengalstripes9 - 04-26-2020

(04-26-2020, 06:20 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Andy will not be on the books when we have to resign Mixon or AJ. I have mentioned nothing about cutting either; nor have I said back QB is the most important job on the team. Why make things up?

I guess we could wait until during the season to trade Dalton and resign Aj and Mixon. But their price tags will increase as they prove their worth. If this scenario works out, id be happy. we would need to restructure Andys contract in order to fill out our training camp roster though. Or cut some players that are valuable to our depth. After we trade Dalton during the season there may not be any good vet qbs available.

Or maybe you want to play out Mixon and Ajs contracts and sign them after the season and after Daltons contract expires. This is risky, but if we have a good season they will want to come back—but we could lose out to a higher bidder. Also, Mixon wants a new deal now, as he is underpaid. Mixon is more valuable than Dalton.

Just looking at things realistically... we likely need to resign Mixon before the season. This will increase his cap hit. This means Dalton likely needs to be moved. Maybe they can do something to lessen Ajs cap hit this year to make room for Mixon.

There’s just so many variables it makes sense to just watch it play out. Over-analyzing it aint worth the time. It seems likely Dalton needs to be moved, but we’ll see.

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Nately120 - 04-26-2020

(04-26-2020, 05:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And water is wet.

I'm just explaining why I'm not confident cutting Andy loose won't affect Burrow.

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Nately120 - 04-26-2020

(04-26-2020, 06:27 PM)McC Wrote: What about the optics of paying your backup QB twice what the starter is making?  That effectively cancels out the benefit of having a QB on a rookie deal.

This is probably another reason we aren't likely trading Dalton to the Jaguars.

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - fredtoast - 04-26-2020

(04-26-2020, 06:42 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Jason Peters. And before you start going on about his age (remember how wrong you were about Whit) he graded out at 82.4 last season. We don’t have anyone on our OL even close to that.

Using Whit to prove that OTs don't decline at 38 is like using Tom Brady to prove you can always get a Hall of Fame QB in the 6th round.

Why is he still on the market?

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - JSR18 - 04-26-2020

(04-26-2020, 03:11 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: But Dalton would not be working on mechanics and the technical side of playing QB with Burrow, that’s not a backups job. This idea that Joe will need to be taught how to be a pro, or read defenses, make adjustments, etc is really weird to me. These are some of Burrow’s biggest strengths. He’s not some 21 year old raw physical freak that doesn’t really understand all the different aspects of playing QB. Burrow is good to go. He’s 23 already, is cerebral as hell, a crazy hard worker, the son of a coach, and will be surrounded by QB coaches in this team. He’ll be fine without the tutelage of Andy Dalton.
This! For the umpteenth thousand time, Zac Taylor and Brian Callahan have stated that the QB they pick (knowing it was going to be Burrow) won't need a veteran backup to mentor him. The new QB will have 2 QBs behind him and 3 former QBs on staff guide/mentor him.

Posters who are looking for any way Dalton can hang around are just scratching the ground looking for an acorn.

The question is: Who is more valuable to this team right now, Dalton or Mixon??

Mixon, hands down...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - bfine32 - 04-26-2020

(04-26-2020, 08:39 PM)JSR18 Wrote: This! For the umpteenth thousand time, Zac Taylor and Brian Callahan have stated that the QB they pick (knowing it was going to be Burrow) won't need a veteran backup to mentor him. The new QB will have 2 QBs behind him and 3 former QBs on staff guide/mentor him.

Posters who are looking for any way Dalton can hang around are just scratching the ground looking for an acorn.

The question is: Who is more valuable to this team right now, Dalton or Mixon??

Mixon, hands down...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You caught me. You exposed my undying desire to have Andy Dalton as the Bengal's QB.

As to Mixon and Dalton: What does it matter? Mixon is under contract. 

(04-26-2020, 07:31 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm just explaining why I'm not confident cutting Andy loose won't affect Burrow.

That our head coach isn’t Andy Reid after one season? You thought that needed explaining?

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Luvnit2 - 04-26-2020

(04-26-2020, 06:07 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: In what world is 10 million close to 17.7? You guys can’t find an example of a team paying their backup QB that much, because no one would. Not Eli getting benched, an actual backup that was #2 on the depth chart going into the season.

You have convinced yourself Burrow has won the starting job. But with Dalton in mix, ZAC told him Joe had to win the job.

This is the NFL, rarely do players get guaranteed starting positions until they win them.

So If AD wins job, our starting QB makes 18 million or far below elite starting QB;s and his back up makes 9 million.

Your rush and hope AD leaves for Joe gets a cake walk to starting week 1 may just not happen.

(04-26-2020, 07:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Using Whit to prove that OTs don't decline at 38 is like using Tom Brady to prove you can always get a Hall of Fame QB in the 6th round.

Why is he still on the market?

Idk why is Cam? These are crazy times, and under normal circumstances he probably wouldn’t be. With Trent Williams finally being moved I wouldn’t be surprised to see someone sign Peters soon.

(04-26-2020, 06:42 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Jason Peters. And before you start going on about his age (remember how wrong you were about Whit) he graded out at 82.4 last season. We don’t have anyone on our OL even close to that.

I wish I had a 20 dollar mansion.

But, until I do why discuss it. Like I said sign the=is great player for Dalton and then same day cut Dalton. Makes no sense to cut him and hope we get a great FA?????????

(04-26-2020, 09:08 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You caught me. You exposed my undying desire to have Andy Dalton as the Bengal's QB.

As to Mixon and Dalton: What does it matter? Mixon is under contract. 

And if he holds out?

(04-26-2020, 09:41 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: You have convinced yourself Burrow has won the starting job. But with Dalton in mix, ZAC told him Joe had to win the job.

This is the NFL, rarely do players get guaranteed starting positions until they win them.

So If AD wins job, our starting QB makes 18 million or far below elite starting QB;s and his back up makes 9 million.

Your rush and hope AD leaves for Joe gets a cake walk to starting week 321 may just not happen.

LOL

You’re probably the only person on the planet (including Dalton and his family) that thinks there’s going to be a QB competition.

I don’t even know what your last sentence is supposed to mean...

(04-26-2020, 09:44 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I wish I had a 20 dollar mansion.

But, until I do why discuss it. Like I said sign the=is great player for Dalton and then same day cut Dalton. Makes no sense to cut him and hope we get a great FA?????????

A 20 dollar mansion sounds like real shithole to me...

(04-26-2020, 09:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: LOL

You’re probably the only person on the planet (including Dalton and his family) that thinks there’s going to be a QB competition.

I don’t even know what your last sentence is supposed to mean...

It appears you are afraid of a AD/JB competition. Why? If Joe is a shoe in, let them compete and if Joe wins you cut or trade AD after he loses, not before. Also, you are saying Zac and Joe lied, they expect a tough QB competition.

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - bengalfan74 - 04-26-2020

(04-26-2020, 09:41 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: You have convinced yourself Burrow has won the starting job. But with Dalton in mix, ZAC told him Joe had to win the job.

Your rush and hope AD leaves for Joe gets a cake walk to starting week 1 may just not happen.

You can't be serious.  Shocked

(04-26-2020, 09:54 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: It appears you are afraid of a AD/JB competition. Why? If Joe is a shoe in, let them compete and if Joe wins you cut or trade AD after he loses, not before. Also, you are saying Zac and Joe lied, they expect a tough QB competition.

No one is afraid of that. You’re really embarrassing yourself now.

(04-26-2020, 09:54 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: You can't be serious.  Shocked

History has shown #1 QB to sit under a QB for a year. Why is that so tough to comprehend sitting behind the all time Bengals QB record holder or competing against him for a year?

(04-26-2020, 09:54 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: You can't be serious.  Shocked

I think some of these guys have been hitting grandpa’s cough syrup a little too hard tonight. Lol

https://youtu.be/i_lIYthFeLY