Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Why not keep Andy as a backup? (/Thread-Why-not-keep-Andy-as-a-backup)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Luvnit2 - 04-26-2020

(04-26-2020, 09:55 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No one is afraid of that. You’re really embarrassing yourself now.

How so?

We never know if Joe is better until he proves in TC, let TC happen and Joe should win easiliy and then we can get  rid of AD. Why put the cart before the horse when there is no risk to us financially to do so?

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - JSR18 - 04-26-2020

(04-26-2020, 09:08 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You caught me. You exposed my undying desire to have Andy Dalton as the Bengal's QB.

As to Mixon and Dalton: What does it matter? Mixon is under contract. 
Without Dalton's contract money to extend Mixon, he may hold out...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Fan_in_Kettering - 04-26-2020

We’re going to roll into training camp with one quarterback who has taken snaps in an NFL game.

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Destro - 04-26-2020

Sorry if covered before, but assuming Burrow is QB #1, who are the backups? Dalton, Finely, Dolegala and one is released and maybe PS? How is all this working out?

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - McC - 04-26-2020

(04-26-2020, 09:59 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: How so?

We never know if Joe is better until he proves in TC, let TC happen and Joe should win easiliy and then we can get  rid of AD. Why put the cart before the horse when there is no risk to us financially to do so?

Sure, in a shortened offseason, let's waste some of it for a farce of a QB competition.  That would be brilliant.

On a separate note, why worry about not having enough cap room to sign our rookies?

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Nicomo Cosca - 04-26-2020

(04-26-2020, 09:57 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: History has shown #1 QB to sit under a QB for a year. Why is that so tough to comprehend sitting behind the all time Bengals QB record holder or competing against him for a year?

Yeah, ancient history. Most rookie QB’s play these days. Especially #1OA picks. Baker freaking Mayfield broke Peyton’s rookie TD record ffs. In 13 games. And I think Burrow is better than Mayfield.

Literally not one single team has shown interest in Dalton, but you think he’s going to beat out the best QB prospect since Andrew Luck? Right...

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - bfine32 - 04-26-2020

(04-26-2020, 10:01 PM)JSR18 Wrote: Without Dalton's contract money to extend Mixon, he may hold out...

He wouldn't be the first.

(04-26-2020, 09:44 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And if he holds out?

He doesn't get paid...

Was that a trick question?

(04-26-2020, 10:04 PM)McC Wrote: Sure, in a shortened offseason, let's waste some of it for a farce of a QB competition.  That would be brilliant.

On a separate note, why worry about not having enough cap room to sign our rookies?

Another excellent point. Burrow is absolutely getting all the snaps with the 1’s. Period.

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Luvnit2 - 04-26-2020

(04-26-2020, 10:07 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, ancient history. Most rookie QB’s play these days. Especially #1OA picks. Baker freaking Mayfield broke Peyton’s rookie TD record ffs. In 13 games. And I think Burrow is better than Mayfield.

Literally not one single team has shown interest in Dalton, but you think he’s going to beat out the best QB prospect since Andrew Luck? Right...

I never said he would not beat him out. I think it is poor management to not make him do it since no risk to us as can cut AD at anytime during camp and have zero cap liability for 2020

Also, did Mayfield start week #1 as a rookie?  I think he did not.

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - bengalfan74 - 04-26-2020

(04-26-2020, 10:04 PM)McC Wrote: Sure, in a shortened offseason, let's waste some of it for a farce of a QB competition.  That would be brilliant.

Lets put Dolegala and Finley in the competition as well, split up all the snaps between the 4 of them.  Ninja

(04-26-2020, 10:07 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, ancient history. Most rookie QB’s play these days. Especially #1OA picks. Baker freaking Mayfield broke Peyton’s rookie TD record ffs. In 13 games. And I think Burrow is better than Mayfield.

They don't know nuffin  Ninja

(04-26-2020, 10:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: He doesn't get paid...

So you’d rather waste money on a backup QB than use it to extend Mixon, and restructure his contract? Who will help win more games? Our back-to-back 1k+ Yds rusher, or the guy that got benched for Ryan Finley?

(04-26-2020, 10:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: He doesn't get paid...

Why would that be a trick question?

Joe Mixon running the ball year makes infinitely more sense than Dalton standing around holding an ipad and yelling Go Team....

(04-26-2020, 10:13 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I never said he would not beat him out. I think it is poor management to not make him do it since no risk to us as can cut AD at anytime during camp and have zero cap liability for 2020

Also, did Mayfield start week #1 as a rookie?  I think he did not.

And if Mayfield did start week one the Browns might have made the playoffs. He wins the 2 games Taylor lost (and tied) and they’re 9-7.

(04-26-2020, 10:15 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: So you’d rather waste money on a backup QB than use it to extend Mixon, and restructure his contract? Who will help win more games? Our back-to-back 1k+ Yds rusher, or the guy that got benched for Ryan Finley?

You're just kinda making this up as you go along aren't you?

If I thought paying Andy was "wasting money" I'd never advocate for it. But there's a great chance that Andy being in Joe's ear on the sideline can win us many games. And Joe is under contract. 

(04-26-2020, 10:18 PM)JSR18 Wrote: Why would that be a trick question?

Joe Mixon running the ball year makes infinitely more sense than Dalton standing around holding an ipad and yelling Go Team....

What about we cut Andy and Joe holds out; what happens?.....wait for it....here it comes....Joe doesn't get paid. 

If you think the only thing Andy to add to the development of Joe Burrow as a professional NFL QB is yelling "go team" then I must question your judgement. Perhaps your judgement is sound, but you hyperbole is stronger...only you truly know. 

(04-26-2020, 10:18 PM)JSR18 Wrote: Why would that be a trick question?

But if Dalton isn’t here Burrow will miss out on such leadership tutelage as this!

https://youtu.be/_358Pi3xWsQ

(04-26-2020, 10:23 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What about we cut Andy and Joe holds out; what happens?.....wait for it....here it comes....Joe doesn't get paid. 

If you think the only thing Andy to add to the development of Joe Burrow as a professional NFL QB is yelling "go team" then I must question your judgement. Perhaps your judgement is sound, but you hyperbole is stronger...only you truly know. 
So you want to keep Dalton even if it means Mixon holds out? Severely hampering the running game.

...and you want to question my judgement?

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - bengalfan74 - 04-26-2020

(04-26-2020, 10:23 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What about we cut Andy and Joe holds out; what happens?.....wait for it....here it comes....Joe doesn't get paid. 

bfine I respect your opinion. You're a knowledge poster a good contributor to the board. But I'll never understand you flipping the script on Dalton ? There's literally hundreds of posts by you flaming Dalton up one side and down the other !!

Now you wanna keep him as a teacher ? Just baffles me ?

(04-26-2020, 10:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You're just kinda making this up as you go along aren't you?

If I thought paying Andy was "wasting money" I'd never advocate for it. But there's a great chance that Andy being in Joe's ear on the sideline can win us many games. And Joe is under contract. 

You didn’t answer the question. If Mixon holds out (which there was some buzz about) do you realize we currently have no extra money to restructure his contract?

Also, if Andy’s infinite expertise is so valuable why aren’t any other teams beating down our door to acquire him? Hell, 17m would be a bargain if he can win you games just by whispering in your QB’s ear...