Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Why not keep Andy as a backup? (/Thread-Why-not-keep-Andy-as-a-backup)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Kingslayer - 04-28-2020

If they are not going to sign anyone else, then hold him until the trade deadline. Odds are someone will get hurt and then we can get something for Dalton.

I wish someone would pay me 18 million to sit on my ass

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - jason - 04-28-2020

(04-28-2020, 10:06 PM)spazz70 Wrote: It is a 5 year contract...  If there is no TC and a shortened preseason there is a chance that Dalton on a restructured contract could stay and be the starter...quit being silly...  He would be so far ahead of Burrow it is silly...  A 10 vet versus a rookie is not even close

That's a year of Joe Burrow's rookie contract wasted. This isn't 2003 anymore. Andy Dalton isn't going to restructure his contract to remain a lame duck starter for the Bengals. Literally nobody within or without the Cincinnati Bengals organization wants that. We had a head coach learning on the job last year. Why can't we have a QB (who's actually been successful) do the same thing? Nothing about Joe Burrow screams that he can't handle the exact same scenario that Andy Dalton walked into in 2011. Any goodwill that the Bengals have rebuilt with their fans will go down the shitter in a heartbeat if they were to do what you've suggested.

This whole notion that rookie QBs need their hands held is silly. Sink or swim...

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Nicomo Cosca - 04-28-2020

(04-28-2020, 10:34 PM)jason Wrote: That's a year of Joe Burrow's rookie contract wasted. This isn't 2003 anymore. Andy Dalton isn't going to restructure his contract to remain a lame duck starter for the Bengals. Literally nobody within or without the Cincinnati Bengals organization wants that. We had a head coach learning on the job last year. Why can't we have a QB (who's actually been successful) do the same thing? Nothing about Joe Burrow screams that he can't handle the exact same scenario that Andy Dalton walked into in 2011. Any goodwill that the Bengals have rebuilt with their fans will go down the shitter in a heartbeat if they were to do what you've suggested.

This whole notion that rookie QBs need their hands held is silly. Sink or swim...

So much this. Well said.

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - slim 751 - 04-28-2020

(01-19-2020, 10:15 PM)Synric Wrote: Why can't the offense provide insight on themselves? Does Joe have to ask Andy what Tyler Boyd likes to do or can he go directly to Tyler Boyd and work with him to build Chemistry?

That 17 mil could be spent on a  Very good offensive lineman to protect Joe and get the run game working.!7 mil for a backup qb isnt smart.

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - jason - 04-28-2020

(04-28-2020, 10:43 PM)slim 751 Wrote: That 17 mil could be spent on a  Very good offensive lineman to protect Joe and get the run game working.!7 mil for a backup qb isnt smart.

Hell I think we need that 17 mil to sign the rookies... I could be making that up though.

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - JSR18 - 04-28-2020

(04-28-2020, 10:46 PM)jason Wrote: Hell I think we need that 17 mil to sign the rookies... I could be making that up though.

WhoDey2 I think its more like between 4-5 million...

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Nicomo Cosca - 04-28-2020

(04-28-2020, 10:59 PM)JSR18 Wrote: WhoDey2 I think its more like between 4-5 million...

Burrow alone will make more than that.

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - offside - 04-29-2020

(04-28-2020, 10:34 PM)Kingslayer Wrote: I wish someone would pay me 18 million to sit on my ass

Players get paid their salaries only during the regular season.  They only get paid per diem and possibly off-season incentives during the pre-season.  

This is another reason why I can't see Andy even reporting to camp.  It's not enough of an economic incentive for him to even show up.

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Synric - 04-29-2020

(04-29-2020, 12:14 AM)offside Wrote: Players only get paid their salaries during the regular season.  They only get paid per diem and possibly off-season incentives during the pre-season.  

This is another reason why I can't see Andy even reporting to camp.  It's not enough of an economic incentive for him to even show up.

Fines...Large ones.

(04-29-2020, 12:20 AM)Synric Wrote: Fines...Large ones.

LOL.

An organization who doesn't want him there will not fine him for not being there.

Besides, they will cut him months before he's even on the clock for his next paycheck.

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Synric - 04-29-2020

(04-29-2020, 12:32 AM)offside Wrote: LOL.

An organization who doesn't want him there will not fine him for not being there.  

Besides, they will cut him months before he's even on the clock for his next paycheck.

That's a 200k a week bet I wouldnt take...Even if I wasnt happy I'd show up.

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - BengalChris - 04-29-2020

(04-28-2020, 10:34 PM)jason Wrote: That's a year of Joe Burrow's rookie contract wasted. This isn't 2003 anymore. Andy Dalton isn't going to restructure his contract to remain a lame duck starter for the Bengals. Literally nobody within or without the Cincinnati Bengals organization wants that. We had a head coach learning on the job last year. Why can't we have a QB (who's actually been successful) do the same thing? Nothing about Joe Burrow screams that he can't handle the exact same scenario that Andy Dalton walked into in 2011. Any goodwill that the Bengals have rebuilt with their fans will go down the shitter in a heartbeat if they were to do what you've suggested.

I completely agree. It's puzzling why this still gets brought up. Dalton is on his way out and is just waiting for his pink slip, which can't come soon enough in his mind.

(04-29-2020, 12:45 AM)Synric Wrote: That's a 200k a week bet I wouldnt take...Even if I wasnt happy I'd show up.

I don't understand what is so difficult:

The Bengals don't want Dalton to work for them anymore.  They've already hired his replacement.  Dalton will not clock in for his next paycheck.

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - spazz70 - 04-29-2020

(04-28-2020, 10:31 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Weren’t you one of the few posters here that wasn’t big on Burrow to begin with? I seem to remember some OSU sour grapes with you...

Anyway, Burrow is starting. Period. They’re already incorporating some of his LSU plays into our offense.

You. Guys. Have. To. Let. Dalton. Go. You would think the guy won us multiple championships the way some of you are holding on...

It is not being big on Burrow...It is a chance to win this year....IF there is no pre-season and no training camp and Dalton is still here on a restructured contract it does and can make sense.  It is not out of the realm of possibility.  My guess is that Dalton will be cut and gone but it is still a possibility.  I am not a Dalton fan boy but he would be our best chance to win now if things unfold in this manner.  Burrow has never taken one snap in the NFL and Dalton has probably completed 10K passes to Green alone between OTC, TC and season.  There is no comparison, period.

If you think that a rookie that has never taken one NFL snap is better than a 10 year veteran like Andy Dalton you are just a fool.

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Nicomo Cosca - 04-29-2020

(04-29-2020, 09:48 AM)spazz70 Wrote: It is not being big on Burrow...It is a chance to win this year....IF there is no pre-season and no training camp and Dalton is still here on a restructured contract it does and can make sense.  It is not out of the realm of possibility.  My guess is that Dalton will be cut and gone but it is still a possibility.  I am not a Dalton fan boy but he would be our best chance to win now if things unfold in this manner.  Burrow has never taken one snap in the NFL and Dalton has probably completed 10K passes to Green alone between OTC, TC and season.  There is no comparison, period.

If you think that a rookie that has never taken one NFL snap is better than a 10 year veteran like Andy Dalton you are just a fool.

I’m a fool for thinking the best QB prospect in years would absolutely be better than a guy who got benched, went 2-11, and had a rating in the 70’s? Ok guy.

I guess the elite talent that is the Red Rifle can come right in and win as a rookie, but a scrub like Joe Burrow can’t...you all are too much. LOL

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - spazz70 - 04-29-2020

(04-29-2020, 09:59 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m a fool for thinking the best QB prospect in years would absolutely be better  than a guy who got benched, went 2-11, and had a rating in the 70’s? Ok guy.

I guess the elite talent that is the Red Rifle can come right in and win as a rookie, but a scrub like Joe Burrow can’t...you all are too much. LOL

Boy your are someone that is hard to have a discussion with...let me put it in bold this time.

IF THERE IS NO OTCS, TC AND A SHORTENED PRESEASON OR SEASON DUE TO THE COVID19 THEN ANDY WOULD POSSIBLY BE THE BETTER OPTION AT QB FOR THIS YEAR..

Is it really that hard to understand?  Any vet QB in those circumstances would be a better option.  It is not about Andy versus Joe.  It is about what is or may happen with the current situation with the season.  

I am done discussing this with you. It is a hypothetical situation and discussion and you are taking it to heart like I am saying that is what I want to happen.

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - bfine32 - 04-29-2020

(04-29-2020, 10:12 AM)spazz70 Wrote: Boy your are someone that is hard to have a discussion with...let me put it in bold this time.

IF THERE IS NO OTCS, TC AND A SHORTENED PRESEASON OR SEASON DUE TO THE COVID19 THEN ANDY WOULD POSSIBLY BE THE BETTER OPTION AT QB FOR THIS YEAR..

Is it really that hard to understand?  Any vet QB in those circumstances would be a better option.  It is not about Andy versus Joe.  It is about what is or may happen with the current situation with the season.  

I am done discussing this with you. It is a hypothetical situation and discussion and you are taking it to heart like I am saying that is what I want to happen.

I think some are letting their love/hate of Andy stand in the way of logic. Drew Bres alone has a $45 mil cap this year, they recently signed Hill for $20 and just sign Winston. But we cannot afford $23 mil for our top 2 QBs because of how the funds are allocated. It's not our money, it's Mike Brown's.
Do the Redskins now have to cut Kerrigan because he will make more than Chase? No and Haskins will be the 3rd highest paid QB on the team. Veterans make more than rookies especially established ones,

(04-29-2020, 10:12 AM)spazz70 Wrote: Boy your are someone that is hard to have a discussion with...let me put it in bold this time.

The thing is you’re really selling Joe Burrow short. He’s not some 21 year old kid that just came out after his junior year. And he’s not a normal prospect. He’s a 23 year old #1OA that just set the college football world on fire. He will be ready to go. Hell, he’s even already worked out with both Higgins and Ross.

And Andy was beyond terrible last season even under normal circumstances, so there’s no reason to believe he’d be any better under the adversity of everything you mentioned.

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Shouldamapads - 04-29-2020

(04-29-2020, 09:59 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m a fool for thinking the best QB prospect in years would absolutely be better  than a guy who got benched, went 2-11, and had a rating in the 70’s? Ok guy.

This argument is bad and you're likely wrong to an extent.  Right now Andy is much better prepared and better than Joe for NFL play.  The better argument is sitting Joe isn't going to get him past that level.  Joe shows that he can quickly come up to speed with his intelligence and commitment to football learning.  

Andy was amazing when protected.  One could argue that he was not protected well in the last few years.  When the line improved towards the end of the season we won games and were in games with close finishes.  Our defense did not hold their end of the bargain.  The D gave up 27,34,38 and 23 the last 4 games of the season.  The team won one game (23).

That said, it's time to part.  Keeping Andy is not the future as his replacement has been drafted.

I can't see how he won't be cut and the money used elsewhere.  If I remember, the cap is about 750K over with rookies factored in.  Yes, the team could cut someone to cover that, but the reality is Andy's salary is holding up more than that.  If Mixon gets his wish for a renegotiation, the lineman we need/desire is avail, etc.  I'd love to see Peters here for a few years.

I am one of those that really likes/liked Andy as a Bengal.  I wish him the very best, but the team will need to move on. He'll always be one of my favorites as he's a good player, but an even better person.  Him and his wife and family deserve the very best and i hope that opportunity presents itself.

(04-29-2020, 10:30 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I think some are letting their love/hate of Andy stand in the way of logic. Drew Bres alone has a $45 mil cap this year, they recently signed Hill for $20 and just sign Winston. But we cannot afford $23 mil for our top 2 QBs because of how the funds are allocated. It's not our money, it's Mike Brown's.
Do the Redskins now have to cut Kerrigan because he will make more than Chase? No and Haskins will be the 3rd highest paid QB on the team. Veterans make more than rookies especially established ones,

Taysom Hill brings a hell of a lot more to his team than just holding a clipboard. They incorporate him all over their offense.