Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Why not keep Andy as a backup? (/Thread-Why-not-keep-Andy-as-a-backup)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Hammerstripes - 01-20-2020

There's really only one reason not to keep Dalton - locker room culture. I think if Dalton is around it will be a major distraction. He wants to be a starter. I just don't think it's a good move to keep him around.

That being said - sign a vet that has some experience in the type of offense Taylor runs. A guy similar to Kitna when Palmer got drafted.

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Catmandude123 - 01-20-2020

(01-20-2020, 01:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Jags will roll with Minshew. as he was the highest rated rookie last year

I'll go out on a limb and say the Titans are happy with having the #1 rated passer in the NFL and getting to the Championship game

Raiders QB was #9 in the NFL last year with a rating over 100

Panthers have Cam Newton under contract

Dolphins will draft Tua or Herbert and will use Fitzmagic as a mentor

Chargers will take whichever QB the Dolphins don't

Bears (you didn't mention them) have replaced their OC and have pledged allegiance to Mitch

The above teams can do all of that and not cost themselves a draft pick or Andy's salary

Colts and Bucs are possibilities. I can see the Bucs spending money on Bridgewater as he knows their division and is a Florida kid if they don't resign Winston. Colts would be wise to bring in Mariota to compete with Brisett; there's also the intrigue of bringing in the other Manning. And once again they can do this without losing a draft pick; except for the Manning scenarios.

What I would love to see is Eli go to SD
Titans  don't have Tannehill(Dalton 2.0) under contract, Cam Newton has foot problems that as yet haven't healed, Who ever takes Tua will be looking beyond next year for him starting. The other QBs in the draft are underwhelming at best. Their will be a market for Dalton but anyone who expects a first or second round pick for him aren't being very realistic.

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Bengalfan4life27c - 01-20-2020

I said this in another thread you want a backup with a similar skill set to starter. Mariota fits the bill more than Dalton. If Dalton isn't going to be a starter the Titans are a perfect fit.

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - BengalChris - 01-20-2020

Other

1. Andy doesn't want to stay as a backup and has made that clear, so why keep him?
2. We'll get a pick, so the front office gets to roll their dice an extra time. Or do they just say, "Eany Meany Miney Mo..." I often wonder.

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - coachmcneil71 - 01-20-2020

(01-19-2020, 08:49 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: It makes the most sense to trade or cut Andy, use the 18m elsewhere and sign another reasonably priced vet to backup Burrow. 

(01-19-2020, 08:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Other, $18M is simply too much to have invested in the backup QB position.  That money could likely fund both a LB and a G in free agency.

Agree! Besides, he has already made it clear that he wants to start. Best to use that money elsewhere, and cut the chord. 

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Nately120 - 01-20-2020

(01-20-2020, 01:04 PM)Aland Wrote: Keeping Andy Dalton around to mentor burrow would be hilarious

Hi I’m Andy.  Don’t do anything that I do on the field, because I’m a joke.

But other than that, can’t wait to guide you. Yes. I was the worst qb in the nfl last year, but I promise I know what I’m doing

Nice scenario.

Hi, I'm Andy Dalton, I'm an average NFL QB so I can't teach you anything...go ask your head coach who was the 4th string QB for the Winnipeg Blue Bomber's for a single year how to win football games.

By your logic Brett Favre could coach circles around Sam Wyche.

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Hammerstripes - 01-20-2020

I hope that Lapham was right and the Bengals are going to throw the fans a bone with a decent free agent starter.

I also hope that starter is an O-linemen. The salary savings from Dalton won't be used to fund any free agents. It just never happens and I doubt it happens this year. They will use that to extend AJ, Mixon and anyone else they need to.

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - bfine32 - 01-20-2020

(01-20-2020, 02:42 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Agree! Besides, he has already made it clear that he wants to start. Best to use that money elsewhere, and cut the chord. 

Which NFL QB doesn't want to be a starter?

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Aland - 01-20-2020

(01-20-2020, 02:59 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Nice scenario.

Hi, I'm Andy Dalton, I'm an average NFL QB so I can't teach you anything...go ask your head coach who was the 4th string QB for the Winnipeg Blue Bomber's for a single year how to win football games.

By your logic Brett Favre could coach circles around Sam Wyche.

I’ll say this again

Dalton posses Zero qualities that a team would want reflected in a player like burrow.

The facts:

Dalton is a bad quarterback.
He is an awful, uninspiring leader
He wilts under pressure
He’s regressed
He locks into a single Pass catcher and forces the ball
He’s a terrible decision maker
He can’t extend plays
He panics and collapses under any minor pressure
He isn’t smart enough to improvise
And he’s a loser.

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - BrownAssClown - 01-20-2020

I can see the Bengals retaining the services of one Andrew Dalton because our boy Troy says you just can't go down to Wal-Mart and pick an NFL experienced QB off the rack that knows our system to groom Mr. Burrow into the job.

(01-20-2020, 03:25 PM)Aland Wrote: I’ll say this again

Dalton posses Zero qualities that a team would want reflected in a player like burrow.

The facts:

He wilts under pressure
He’s regressed
He can’t extend plays
And he’s a loser.
Damn man.! I downed Dalton and have been called a hater, troll etc.. I guess they haven't came up with a label to describe you yet.  THE TRUTH? THEY CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Luvnit2 - 01-20-2020

(01-20-2020, 03:25 PM)Aland Wrote: I’ll say this again

The facts:

He wilts under pressure
He’s regressed
He can’t extend plays
And he’s a loser.

You have strong opinions so I must ask:

How many NFL QB wins do you have? How many TD's do you have passing in the NFL? Rushing?

Obviously, you must have more or that would make you a loser by your standards. So prove you are a winner to us so we can take your posts and opinions seriously please.

(01-20-2020, 04:04 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: You have strong opinions so I must ask:

How many NFL QB wins do you have? How many TD's do you have passing in the NFL? Rushing?

Obviously, you must have more or that would make you a loser by your standards. So prove you are a winner to us so we can take your posts and opinions seriously please.

You seem like someone who knows talent. I bet you have zero experience as a scout but want to impress others with your knowledge of QB talent. Prove to us what makes you a genius?  Why should we listen to you? 

Lets be honest after the playoff loss to the Steelers coming off a borderline MVP type of season. We didn't do Dalton any favors. Take away his number 2 and number 3 receivers. Let the Oline become sub par. Made the D a dumpster fire and replaced his O coordinator with a scrub to Blame all this on Dalton is unfair. WTS it's time to move on

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Fan_in_Kettering - 01-20-2020

(01-20-2020, 04:16 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Lets be honest after the playoff loss to the Steelers coming off a borderline MVP type of season. We didn't do Dalton any favors. Take away his number 2 and number 3 receivers. Let the Oline become sub par. Made the D a dumpster fire and replaced his O coordinator with a scrub to Blame all this on Dalton is unfair. WTS it's time to move on

These are excellent points. Andy Dalton will soon be on a team with solid players around him and, let’s be fair, he leaves Cincinnati with a 70-61-2 record which, in terms of wins and losses, comes to approximately 9-7. He had five good seasons and four bad seasons as a Bengal, and it was the 2016 offseason when the downward slide began.

I would think Andy Dalton would do extremely well in San Diego, Tampa Bay, or New England. Chicago seems to be a popular landing spot but their offensive line is terrible.

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Shake n Blake - 01-20-2020

(01-20-2020, 12:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Freeing up $18 Mil so Mikey can spend it on other players is quite naive. Anyone remember all the great FAs we brought in when we got CP9's salary off the books? 

We were more active than usual that offseason:

Signed Manny Lawson for 1 year, $3 million
Signed Nate Clements for 2 years, $10.5 million
Signed Thomas Howard for 2 years, $6.5 million
Agreed to terms with Donte Whitner until he changed his mind at the last minute
Signed Bruce Gradkowski for 2 years, $4 million? (I know he made $1.8 million the 2nd year, but can't find the total)

I would take a Nate Clements or Thomas Howard caliber addition to the o-line any day of the week.

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - bfine32 - 01-20-2020

(01-20-2020, 04:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We were more active than usual that offseason:

Signed Manny Lawson for 1 year, $3 million
Signed Nate Clements for 2 years, $10.5 million
Signed Thomas Howard for 2 years, $6.5 million
Agreed to terms with Donte Whitner until he changed his mind at the last minute
Signed Bruce Gradkowski for 2 years, $4 million? (I know he made $1.8 million the 2nd year, but can't find the total)

I would take a Nate Clements or Thomas Howard caliber addition to the o-line any day of the week.

As mediocre of a haul that was; given we lost Joseph, Mathis, and T.O.; that was 2011 off season. Carson was still on the team. Mikey will use any money saved by departing with Andy to extend current players; if he uses it at all

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Shake n Blake - 01-20-2020

(01-20-2020, 05:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As mediocre of a hall that was; given we lost Joseph, Mathis, and T.O.; that was 2011 off season. Carson was still on the team

I'm not looking at the talent so much as the money spent, because the point is that we - hypothetically - wouldn't spend the money after cutting Andy. These incoming salaries easily exceed the outgoing players you mention.

T.O. was only on a 1 year, $2 million deal, which is basically what we gave to Bruce Gradkowski. Joseph was coming off a 5 year, $8.1 million contract, which was far less than what we gave Clements. Then you have the other guys we brought in as well.

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 01-20-2020

The easy answer is cause he is getting starter money.

But I understand Bfine's argument as well.

Personally I would trade Dalton and use money on the O-line and LB's in FA.

That might not be what the FO does though is my fear.

According to Cris Collinsworth who is as close to Brown as any former player.He desperately wants to win a championship before he passes on. Time for Mike to put up or shut up.