Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Coronavirus - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Coronavirus (/Thread-Coronavirus)

RE: Coronavirus - GMDino - 03-16-2020

(03-16-2020, 09:04 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I don't think it's a hoax.  I think it's an insane overreaction, and the cure is going to be worse than the disease.  

Mellow

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/meet-the-press/fauci-americans-are-going-have-hunker-down-significantly-more-fight-n1159381

Quote:Americans "should be prepared that they're going to have to hunker down significantly more than we as a country are doing" to fight the growing COVID-19 outbreak, Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said Sunday on NBC News' "Meet the Press."

Asked whether the U.S. should consider a 14-day national shutdown similar to those in Europe, he said: "I would prefer as much as we possibly could. I think we should really be overly aggressive and get criticized for overreacting."

Oh well.

RE: Coronavirus - michaelsean - 03-16-2020

(03-16-2020, 09:49 AM)GMDino Wrote: Mellow

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/meet-the-press/fauci-americans-are-going-have-hunker-down-significantly-more-fight-n1159381

Oh well.

Well here I am complying by criticizing them for over-reacting.  (It's OK, he's a Republican)

I knew a governor could declare a state of emergency and have increased authority, but I had no idea he could do this.  Far too much power for one person.

(03-16-2020, 10:07 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Well here I am complying by criticizing them for over-reacting.  (It's OK, he's a Republican)

I knew a governor could declare a state of emergency and have increased authority, but I had no idea he could do this.  Far too much power for one person.

So go out and party.  

Anyway our "leader" in the WH isn't helping.

RE: Coronavirus - jason - 03-16-2020

(03-15-2020, 11:06 PM)GMDino Wrote: Mellow

I meant MY local government....

I respect the guy's opinion I guess, but I don't trust the logic of people who feel the need to hoard toilet paper. I found it odd the my local grocery store was bare on Friday, while the Catholic High School up the street had a packed house for a fish fry.

Dear God... I sounded like Mao.

(03-16-2020, 10:10 AM)GMDino Wrote: So go out and party.  

Anyway our "leader" in the WH isn't helping.

Well none of this actually affects me.  We eat at home or do carry outs for the most part.  But tens of thousands of people just lost their jobs because the governor said so.  

(03-16-2020, 10:12 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Well none of this actually affects me.  We eat at home or do carry outs for the most part.  But tens of thousands of people just lost their jobs because the governor said so.  

They lost their jobs?!?!?

Or they have to stay home for two weeks?  Because we should be paying them for that and if we do not that is a failure on our part.

I have a question. Everything seems to be predicated on flattening the curve. That's the response to everything. What if you flatten it too much? What happens if in three weeks Ohio only has 1000 people with it. You can't lift these bans because you will be right back where you started.

(03-16-2020, 10:11 AM)jason Wrote: I meant MY local government....

I respect the guy's opinion I guess, but I don't trust the logic of people who feel the need to hoard toilet paper. I found it odd the my local grocery store was bare on Friday, while the Catholic High School up the street had a packed house for a fish fry.

Dear God... I sounded like Mao.

I know, I was commenting on how people are out there spouting crap like the tweet I included.

People aren't taking this seriously at all in some corners.

(03-16-2020, 10:25 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I have a question.  Everything seems to be predicated on flattening the curve.  That's the response to everything.  What if you flatten it too much?  What happens if in three weeks Ohio only has 1000 people with it.  You can't lift these bans because you will be right back where you started.

The idea, I believe, is to not overtax the medical system like what happened elsewhere.  We might have a longer time of illnesses with the same number as other countries but without having to triage patients over it.

(03-16-2020, 10:24 AM)GMDino Wrote: They lost their jobs?!?!?

Or they have to stay home for two weeks?  Because we should be paying them for that and if we do not that is a failure on our part.

It's going to be way more than two weeks, and we can't possibly pay them close to what they were making.  And many will most likely return to closed restaurants and bars who couldn't withstand the closure even with help.

(03-16-2020, 10:27 AM)GMDino Wrote: The idea, I believe, is to not overtax the medical system like what happened elsewhere.  We might have a longer time of illnesses with the same number as other countries but without having to triage patients over it.

I get the reasoning, but I'd be curious to hear what percentage of people would need to be in the hospital.  We should take steps to protect the old and other compromised people from getting the virus.  In our neighborhood we have volunteers going out to shop etc for people who are in danger if they contract it.  That's what's sensible.   

(03-16-2020, 10:31 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I get the reasoning, but I'd be curious to hear what percentage of people would need to be in the hospital.  We should take steps to protect the old and other compromised people from getting the virus.  In our neighborhood we have volunteers going out to shop etc for people who are in danger if they contract it.  That's what's sensible.   

That's good.

It's almost like if we had some kind of universal healthcare and guaranteed paid sick leave like most other industrialized countries we could have been ahead of this as far was jobs and businesses go.  But "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" and all that.

RE: Coronavirus - fredtoast - 03-16-2020

(03-16-2020, 10:25 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I have a question.  Everything seems to be predicated on flattening the curve.  That's the response to everything.  What if you flatten it too much?  What happens if in three weeks Ohio only has 1000 people with it.  You can't lift these bans because you will be right back where you started.

I was waiting to see this.

If all these extreme precautions WORK then people will claim that was proof that we overreacted.  Instead of acknowledging that we did the right thing they will try to use SUCCESS to argue that we were wrong.

(03-16-2020, 10:54 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I was waiting to see this.

If all these extreme precautions WORK then people will claim that was proof that we overreacted.  Instead of acknowledging that we did the right thing they will try to use SUCCESS to argue that we were wrong.

Well that's because people are still out there saying this all to make Trump look bad.  While he demands apologizes for lying and being told he was lying and throwing paper on the floor like a four year old.

(03-16-2020, 10:54 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I was waiting to see this.

No doubt people will say that, but that's not the point I was making.  I'm saying what if it works too well?  If it barely moves through the population, then in a few weeks you are still where you were before.  

RE: Coronavirus - Benton - 03-16-2020

(03-16-2020, 10:58 AM)michaelsean Wrote: No doubt people will say that, but that's not the point I was making.  I'm saying what if it works too well?  If it barely moves through the population, then in a few weeks you are still where you were before.  

The idea is to slow it down to a rate where it moves through at a sustainable rate.

Sustainable as in: hospitals only have X amount of resources. In this instance, those resources are ventilators, the right kind of masks (my wife's hospital has already run out of masks and advised nurses just to use whatever they can find), inhalers and steroids. If the hospitals in a given area can handle 100 ventilator patients a week, then they can handle 100 ventilator patients and, like any business, are probably basing that 100 off what they normally see; if slowing the spread keeps those in need of ventilators down to 120, then they can at least prioritize and try to handle the extra 20 per week. It also gives them time to order more equipment.

It's not so much about preventing everyone from getting it, but being able to help those who need it.

(03-16-2020, 11:10 AM)Benton Wrote: The idea is to slow it down to a rate where it moves through at a sustainable rate.

Sustainable as in: hospitals only have X amount of resources. In this instance, those resources are ventilators, the right kind of masks (my wife's hospital has already run out of masks and advised nurses just to use whatever they can find), inhalers and steroids. If the hospitals in a given area can handle 100 ventilator patients a week, then they can handle 100 ventilator patients and, like any business, are probably basing that 100 off what they normally see; if slowing the spread keeps those in need of ventilators down to 120, then they can at least prioritize and try to handle the extra 20 per week. It also gives them time to order more equipment.

It's not so much about preventing everyone from getting it, but being able to help those who need it.

No I get that.  Let's say I agree with everything that has been done.  What if in three weeks, due to these actions, a relatively few amount of people have it.  Say 1000.  If you lift all the restrictions you are right back where you were, so you then have to extend all the restrictions.  

RE: Coronavirus - BmorePat87 - 03-16-2020

If this is successful, it’ll seem like an overreaction. We’d rather have that than more deaths.

Btw....there is one likely death going to be in Hamilton County due to a moronic 81 year old who had a dissected aorta, congestive heart failure, a-fib and bad kidneys whom I call dad. The arch-bishop says nobody needs to go to church, so he goes to church. Then he went to the gym. I can't think of a worse place for someone like him to go.

RE: Coronavirus - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 03-16-2020

(03-16-2020, 09:04 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I don't think it's a hoax.  I think it's an insane overreaction, and the cure is going to be worse than the disease.  

What would you recommend to stop the spread ?