Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Walterfootball's 1/29/2020 mock - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: Draft Central (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Draft-Central)
+--- Thread: Walterfootball's 1/29/2020 mock (/Thread-Walterfootball-s-1-29-2020-mock)

Pages: 1 2

Walterfootball's 1/29/2020 mock - samhain - 02-02-2020

I follow Walterfootball's mocks a lot this time of year. I know all sites have their ups and downs, but I appreciate that they change weekly and go in depth, eventually to 7 round projections. It gives me some idea of where lesser known guys may or may not go. I disagree with a lot of things they say that come off as a bit lazy at times, but it's hard to get picky when someone is putting in the work to go that in depth and making changes that frequently.

Anyway, I was looking at their most recent version today, and I have to say that if we got anything close to it, I'd be ecstatic. They went 4 rounds in and got the following players:

1. Burrow
2. Austin Jackson, OT, USC
3. Justin Phillips, LB LSU
4. Damon Arnette, S, Ohio State.

I'd post my own mock, which is why I was looking at the site today to begin with, but I like this one better than any I could come up with. 2 potential defensive contributors plus a huge, athletic OT would be a real lift for this team.

The only change I'd make is pure conjecture, and it involves getting an additional third for Dalton and using it on a guard like Logan Stenberg or Ben Bredeson. I wouldn't mind a WR like Hodgins, KJ Hill (might be gone), or Bowden there, either (yes I'm a bit of a UK homer, but I think both will be fairly solid players). I would also rather have Dye than Phillips, but that's kind of a push.

I'm not sold on there being enough quality talent on the line as many here seem to be, so getting a G and OT would be a positive for me. Also think that if Green returns, which I believe will happen, that we need to bolster the WR group with young talent to protect from highly injury prone players like Green and Ross missing tons of games. With the depth at the position in the draft, you could do that without spending too high a pick.

Thoughts?

RE: Walterfootball's 1/29/2020 mock - Truck_1_0_1_ - 02-03-2020

I like it for the mere fact that they are good players that fit needs (save for Arnette)...

But will they fit with our system?

Personally feel that we don't need a S, as B. Wilson and Fedejelem are more-than-capable depth and our starters are still quality players.

Still, would be happy with this outcome.

RE: Walterfootball's 1/29/2020 mock - ochocincos - 02-03-2020

(02-03-2020, 10:50 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I like it for the mere fact that they are good players that fit needs (save for Arnette)...

But will they fit with our system?

Personally feel that we don't need a S, as B. Wilson and Fedejelem are more-than-capable depth and our starters are still quality players.

Still, would be happy with this outcome.

Agreed.
I think that in Rd 3 and Rd 4, the Bengals could get better talent than Phillips and Arnette. As you said, safety could go (much) later.
I'd be looking for a guard and/or WR in those rounds.
Depending on who all is available, it might make sense to trade back from 33 to get an extra 3rd rounder or something like that.

RE: Walterfootball's 1/29/2020 mock - Au165 - 02-03-2020

(02-03-2020, 03:38 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Agreed.
I think that in Rd 3 and Rd 4, the Bengals could get better talent than Phillips and Arnette. As you said, safety could go (much) later.
I'd be looking for a guard and/or WR in those rounds.
Depending on who all is available, it might make sense to trade back from 33 to get an extra 3rd rounder or something like that.

Williams in the last year of his deal, I think a safety is an option anytime from the 3rd on for the right guy.

RE: Walterfootball's 1/29/2020 mock - Okeana - 02-03-2020

(02-02-2020, 03:29 PM)samhain Wrote: I follow Walterfootball's mocks a lot this time of year.  I know all sites have their ups and downs, but I appreciate that they change weekly and go in depth, eventually to 7 round projections.  It gives me some idea of where lesser known guys may or may not go.  I disagree with a lot of things they say that come off as a bit lazy at times, but it's hard to get picky when someone is putting in the work to go that in depth and making changes that frequently.

Anyway, I was looking at their most recent version today, and I have to say that if we got anything close to it, I'd be ecstatic.  They went 4 rounds in and got the following players:

1. Burrow
2. Austin Jackson, OT, USC
3. Justin Phillips, LB LSU
4. Damon Arnette, S, Ohio State.

I'd post my own mock, which is why I was looking at the site today to begin with, but I like this one better than any I could come up with.  2 potential defensive contributors plus a huge, athletic OT would be a real lift for this team.  

The only change I'd make is pure conjecture, and it involves getting an additional third for Dalton and using it on a guard like Logan Stenberg or Ben Bredeson.  I wouldn't mind a WR like Hodgins, KJ Hill (might be gone), or  Bowden there, either (yes I'm a bit of a UK homer, but I think both will be fairly solid players).  I would also rather have Dye than Phillips, but that's kind of a push.  

I'm not sold on there being enough quality talent on the line as many here seem to be, so getting a G and OT would be a positive for me.  Also think that if Green returns, which I believe will happen, that we need to bolster the WR group with young talent to protect from highly injury prone players like Green and Ross missing tons of games.  With the depth at the position in the draft, you could do that without spending too high a pick.

Thoughts?

Austin Jackson is hot garbage and I wouldn't even draft him in the 3rd.  I've watched a lot of tape and i just don't get the hype around this guy.  Philips is a guy that I am also not high on because he's slow to react on the ball and is a guy who catches tackles instead of initiating them.    

RE: Walterfootball's 1/29/2020 mock - SadFaceBengal15 - 02-03-2020

Those are good players. Would be happy with this draft in the first 4 rounds

RE: Walterfootball's 1/29/2020 mock - ochocincos - 02-03-2020

(02-03-2020, 04:14 PM)Au165 Wrote: Williams in the last year of his deal, I think a safety is an option anytime from the 3rd on for the right guy.

Wow time flies. I thought his contract wasn't up until 2022 or 2023.

RE: Walterfootball's 1/29/2020 mock - SunsetBengal - 02-03-2020

(02-03-2020, 06:13 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Wow time flies. I thought his contract wasn't up until 2022 or 2023.

No, he's dead on about Williams.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/shawn-williams-12365/

RE: Walterfootball's 1/29/2020 mock - Gdale_Bengal - 02-03-2020

I think the bengals are going to draft some guys they saw at the senior bowl earlier than we may like.

And theres a chance they dont get an OT until round 3 or 4 if they really like throckmorton, or even sooner than that if OTs fly off the board early. Like, if we do go Saftey on 4, it might be kyle dugger, or they take Gaither early if they think his athletic ability will make a huge impact.

I think they take real value at the top of 2, then they start to deviate from most other boards and probably make a lot of board members mad.

RE: Walterfootball's 1/29/2020 mock - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 02-03-2020

Must have had my first post deleted for some reason but I don't care for the OT or the LB at these spots.

RE: Walterfootball's 1/29/2020 mock - BURROWorBUST - 02-03-2020

(02-03-2020, 04:14 PM)Au165 Wrote: Williams in the last year of his deal, I think a safety is an option anytime from the 3rd on for the right guy.

I like Brandon Jones from Texas in the 3rd or 4th. 

Not a huge fan of Jacob Phillips the LSU LB, though he lead the Tigers in tackles last year. 113 w/  56 solo jobs.  He's not awful. I watched his Texas tape. He had 7 tackles that game. I think he could get better if he added some strength. He seems to let alot of runners slide through his initial hit. Ehrlinger sort of trucked him a couple of  times. I don't want QBs trucking my LBs. 

RE: Walterfootball's 1/29/2020 mock - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 02-03-2020

(02-03-2020, 11:48 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: I like Brandon Jones from Texas in the 3rd or 4th. 

Not a huge fan of Jacob Phillips the LSU LB, though he lead the Tigers in tackles last year. 113 w/  56 solo jobs.  He's not awful. I watched his Texas tape. He had 7 tackles that game. I think he could get better if he added some strength. He seems to let alot of runners slide through his initial hit. Ehrlinger sort of trucked him a couple of  times. I don't want QBs trucking my LBs. 

I like the new name Shady, feel the same way lol

RE: Walterfootball's 1/29/2020 mock - Bilbo Saggins - 02-04-2020

I'm not a big fan of half of the picks.  Burrow in 1 and Arnette at 4 seem like slam dunks.  Jackson is more of a finesse tackle who could take a long time to develop.  Phillips seems decent, but the top of the third round seems pretty rich to me.

RE: Walterfootball's 1/29/2020 mock - Bengalstripes9 - 02-04-2020

I like the draft from the perspective of the needs that are addressed. I don't want us to reach for players just to fill a need though. It has to be the right player. I want us to draft BPA as always. I would love to see that BPA in the 2nd to be a good linebacker prospect, but it's more likely the BPA is a wide receiver (which I'd be fine with, even though they probably won't play much in year 1). I don't want us to reach for a linebacker at any point in the draft. If there's a corner or Defensive lineman that's better, I'd rather us pick that player than reach for a linebacker.

It'd be nice to see us trade back into the 1st to get the right prospect. But staying put could work out quite well, too. It's nice to get the top pick on day 1 and 2. We'll have plenty of time to review our board before making that day 2 pick.

RE: Walterfootball's 1/29/2020 mock - ochocincos - 02-04-2020

(02-04-2020, 03:29 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: I like the draft from the perspective of the needs that are addressed. I don't want us to reach for players just to fill a need though. It has to be the right player. I want us to draft BPA as always. I would love to see that BPA in the 2nd to be a good linebacker prospect, but it's more likely the BPA is a wide receiver (which I'd be fine with, even though they probably won't play much in year 1). I don't want us to reach for a linebacker at any point in the draft. If there's a corner or Defensive lineman that's better, I'd rather us pick that player than reach for a linebacker.

It'd be nice to see us trade back into the 1st to get the right prospect. But staying put could work out quite well, too. It's nice to get the top pick on day 1 and 2. We'll have plenty of time to review our board before making that day 2 pick.

I was just thinking how nice it will be to see the Bengals pick so early so that I don't have to stay up so late on Thursday.
Do people think that's a safe bet or think the Bengals will trade back up into the late 1st?
I'm thinking they won't trade back into the 1st.

RE: Walterfootball's 1/29/2020 mock - Bengalstripes9 - 02-04-2020

(02-04-2020, 03:36 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I was just thinking how nice it will be to see the Bengals pick so early so that I don't have to stay up so late on Thursday.
Do people think that's a safe bet or think the Bengals will trade back up into the late 1st?

Hard to say. I'd like to see them do it for the right prospect. But it's also nice to have that extra time before making your pick to start day 2. They need more than two players so it's definitely more likely that stay put.

RE: Walterfootball's 1/29/2020 mock - Au165 - 02-04-2020

(02-04-2020, 03:36 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I was just thinking how nice it will be to see the Bengals pick so early so that I don't have to stay up so late on Thursday.

The last time someone did it was 2017 when Cleveland came back up to get TE David Njoku. It is more likely in my mind we trade back from 33 then back up, but you never know.

RE: Walterfootball's 1/29/2020 mock - ochocincos - 02-04-2020

(02-04-2020, 05:20 PM)Au165 Wrote: The last time someone did it was 2017 when Cleveland came back up to get TE David Njoku. It is more likely in my mind we trade back from 33 then back up, but you never know.

Didn't BAL just do it more recently to get Lamar Jackson?

EDIT - Also, trading back makes a lot of sense. An extra Day 2 pick this year and/or next year will be very helpful in building out the new core.

RE: Walterfootball's 1/29/2020 mock - Au165 - 02-05-2020

(02-04-2020, 06:14 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Didn't BAL just do it more recently to get Lamar Jackson?

EDIT - Also, trading back makes a lot of sense. An extra Day 2 pick this year and/or next year will be very helpful in building out the new core.

I meant going up from 33 specifically. There is often a belief among fans who hold 33 that their team will jump back in because it's only a single spot, but realistically it is kind of a rarity. There have been a decent amount of teams in general who do it though.

RE: Walterfootball's 1/29/2020 mock - SHRacerX - 02-06-2020

This, and I think people would be surprised how much the defense could improve with a strong player at SS.  Williams is tough, and filled in nicely at LB late last year, but doesn't have the instincts or range to cover well at all.