Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Report: Bengals willing to work with Andy Dalton on trade - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Report: Bengals willing to work with Andy Dalton on trade (/Thread-Report-Bengals-willing-to-work-with-Andy-Dalton-on-trade)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Report: Bengals willing to work with Andy Dalton on trade - kdgjr - 02-12-2020

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/12/report-bengals-willing-to-work-with-andy-dalton-on-trade/

When Bengals director of player personnel Duke Tobin discussed the team’s plans for quarterback Andy Dalton last month, he said the team would not do anything that Dalton is “ uncomfortable with” and that they will be in “constant communication” this offseason.

The backdrop for those comments is the expectation that the Bengals are going to use the first overall draft pick on a quarterback this April and it appears one of the things they’ll be discussing with Dalton is the possibility of a trade.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that the team is willing to work with Dalton to facilitate a trade to another team “when the time is right.” That approach would give Dalton some say over his next team while also offering the Bengals a chance to gain some compensation in return for the veteran quarterback.

That outcome will rely on another team stepping up to acquire Dalton along with the contract that’s set to pay him a salary of $17.5 million in 2020.

Bengals to "do Dalton right" in finding trade - SunsetBengal - 02-12-2020

Well, we've talked and speculated for quite a while on this topic. Looks like the Bengals will indeed show Andy the respect he deserves, and find a trade destination where he might actually want to go.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/12/andy-dalton-trade-rumors-bengals-working-on-deal/?fbclid=IwAR2nq6Frr-HFaLzoOfNajxv8g6BvgQumBgXmDxa5AiAETL9dimU-sbxNVKw

Quote:The Cincinnati Bengals will indeed try to find a trade partner for veteran quarterback Andy Dalton.

It has sounded for a while like the Bengals will do right by Dalton on his way out the door as it seems clear the team heads toward making Joe Burrow the No. 1 pick in the 2020 NFL draft.

Now Ian Rapoport of NFL Network has followed up with a report confirming this, noting the Bengals have been in communication with Dalton and won’t put him in a situation he doesn’t like.

Meaning, a trade will happen at some point, though it won’t figure to be a deal that sends the veteran to a needy rebuilder without a chance of contending. What might complicate matters is a free-agent quarterback class including Philip Rivers, Marcus Mariota, Jameis Winston, Teddy Bridgewater and Tom Brady.

Dalton leaving would mean the Bengals need to be on the market for a veteran backup, too.

From NFL Now: The #Bengals are willing to work with QB Andy Dalton on a trade, I'm told, a plan that has been communicated to him. This meshes with what exec Duke Tobin told me a few weeks ago that when decisions happen, "I'll be in contact with him." (https://t.co/rrfjo3eYy9) pic.twitter.com/WPr3gb65rV

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) February 12, 2020

RE: Report: Bengals willing to work with Andy Dalton on trade - fredtoast - 02-12-2020

The team should (and will) trade Dalton to whatever teams offers them the most in return.

Andy and Mike both signed a contract that they agreed on. Neither one owes other other anything that is not in that contract. Dalton should not expect the Bengals to pass up a deal that would be better for the team just to make him happy. And the fans should complain loudly if they do.

RE: Report: Bengals willing to work with Andy Dalton on trade - Yojimbo - 02-12-2020

If they really wanted to help him, they’d trade him before FA. The phrase “when the time is right” tells me the team wants to maximize its return, which might not be until the draft.

RE: Report: Bengals willing to work with Andy Dalton on trade - Shake n Blake - 02-12-2020

(02-12-2020, 05:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The team should (and will) trade Dalton to whatever teams offers them the most in return.

Andy and Mike both signed a contract that they agreed on.  Neither one owes other other anything that is not in that contract.  Dalton should not expect the Bengals to pass up a deal that would be better for the team just to make him happy.  And the fans should complain loudly if they do.

If Brady leaves the Pats, the best situation for Andy may also be the team that offers the most.

RE: Report: Bengals willing to work with Andy Dalton on trade - Yojimbo - 02-12-2020

The Pats and the Bears look like the two best situations for Dalton. Both teams are in “win now” mode.

RE: Report: Bengals willing to work with Andy Dalton on trade - fredtoast - 02-12-2020

Jay Gruden is OC for the Jags. I think Dalton could end up there.

RE: Report: Bengals willing to work with Andy Dalton on trade - SunsetBengal - 02-12-2020

I would think that a team like Tennessee would be a perfect landing spot for Andy to do well.

RE: Report: Bengals willing to work with Andy Dalton on trade - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 02-12-2020

(02-12-2020, 05:39 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: The Pats and the Bears look like the two best situations for Dalton. Both teams are in “win now” mode.

(02-12-2020, 05:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Jay Gruden is OC for the Jags.  I think Dalton could end up there.

(02-12-2020, 05:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I would think that a team like Tennessee would be a perfect landing spot for Andy to do well.

These are the 4 teams I thought of first for landing spots for Dalton. I like that the team seems to be doing this the right way
and giving Dalton the best options and we should take the best offer for him. Should work out the best for all involved.

RE: Report: Bengals willing to work with Andy Dalton on trade - Whodey614 - 02-12-2020

New England
Chicago
Jacksonville
LAC? Maybe they draft Herbert, maybe they elect to draft an OT instead to protect Dalton

I think we could get a decent return for Dalton from any of those teams. Most likely New England.

RE: Report: Bengals willing to work with Andy Dalton on trade - Nately120 - 02-12-2020

(02-12-2020, 05:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Jay Gruden is OC for the Jags.  I think Dalton could end up there.

The Jags adding Dalton's nearly $18 million to the cap hit of over $30 million they'd take for cutting Foles makes this seem unlikely...they're in it up to their eyes with that Foles deal.  

It's good to hear they're actively working to trade Dalton, but there are going to be a lot more veteran FA QBs out there than usual, and as long as Hue Jackson isn't making personnel decisions for a team I sincerely doubt Mike Brown's ability to get a deal done.  I'd wager we keep Dalton and hope some team becomes absurdly desperate for a QB at some point.

MB - Hi, I'm looking to trade Andy Dalton.
GM - I'll give you a 6th round pick for him.
MB - Make it two 1st round picks and you've got a deal!
GM - No.
MB - Can I speak with Hue Jackson?
GM - Hue Jackson doesn't work here, or anywhere because he keeps offering the moon for QBs who aren't going to play for you.
MB - You sound smart.  Will you work for me but not get paid like a GM or get the title of GM?
GM - No.

END SCENE

RE: Report: Bengals willing to work with Andy Dalton on trade - RunKijanaRun - 02-12-2020

(02-12-2020, 05:57 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The Jags adding Dalton's nearly $18 million to the cap hit of over $30 million they'd take for cutting Foles makes this seem unlikely...they're in it up to their eyes with that Foles deal.  

It's good to hear they're actively working to trade Dalton, but there are going to be a lot more veteran FA QBs out there than usual, and as long as Hue Jackson isn't making personnel decisions for a team I sincerely doubt Mike Brown's ability to get a deal done.  I'd wager we keep Dalton and hope some team becomes absurdly desperate for a QB at some point.

MB - Hi, I'm looking to trade Andy Dalton.
GM - I'll give you a 6th round pick for him.
MB - Make it two 1st round picks and you've got a deal!
GM - No.
MB - Can I speak with Hue Jackson?
GM - Hue Jackson doesn't work here, or anywhere because he keeps offering the moon for QBs who aren't going to play for you.
MB - You sound smart.  Will you work for me but not get paid like a GM or get the title of GM?
GM - No.

END SCENE

"....and on next week's Bob Abishoula, the fat white guy makes a clumsy racist remark..."

RE: Report: Bengals willing to work with Andy Dalton on trade - bengalfan74 - 02-12-2020

(02-12-2020, 05:30 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If Brady leaves the Pats, the best situation for Andy may also be the team that offers the most.

(02-12-2020, 05:39 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: The Pats and the Bears look like the two best situations for Dalton. Both teams are in “win now” mode.

With several starting QB jobs "on the bubble" a game of musical chairs QB's may occur this offseason. Will Brady be with Pats for season #102 ? Will Brees retire ? Where does Rivers end up, and what do Chargers do ? What will be Cam Newton's fate ? Do Redskins pull a Cardinals ? and many other questions ?

Dalton may end up somewhere totally off the radar depending on how this plays out. Having said that my guess would be Bears.

RE: Report: Bengals willing to work with Andy Dalton on trade - masonbengals fan - 02-12-2020

Have to do what is best for the Bengals 1st & foremost. Hope Andy succeeds where ever he goes. (As long as it's not at our expense)

RE: Report: Bengals willing to work with Andy Dalton on trade - lone bengal - 02-12-2020

I’m thinking realistically the most they can get for Dalton is a 3rd or a 4th ? It’s a strong free agent QB class with Brady, Bress, Rivers, Tannehill, Prescott , Winston and maybe a guy like Newton being available via trade. Plus if we go Burrow number 1 ,two QB needy teams will probably draft Tua and Herbert in round 1 which takes them out of the QB market. Plus teams know we need to get rid of Dalton because there’s no way we’re paying Dalton $17.5 million as a backup.

RE: Report: Bengals willing to work with Andy Dalton on trade - Nately120 - 02-12-2020

(02-12-2020, 06:22 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: "....and on next week's Bob Abishoula, the fat white guy makes a clumsy racist remark..."

BOB - Gee honey, it sure is crazy they're making a show out of an interracial marriage nearly 60 years after the Civil Rights Act!

*pause for laughter*

ABISHOLA - Go Apartheid yourself, Bob!

*audience woos and applause*

RE: Report: Bengals willing to work with Andy Dalton on trade - pally - 02-12-2020

(02-12-2020, 05:28 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: If they really wanted to help him, they’d trade him before FA. The phrase “when the time is right” tells me the team wants to maximize its return, which might not be until the draft.

Teams won't buy before they can see what they can get without giving anything up

RE: Report: Bengals willing to work with Andy Dalton on trade - Wes Mantooth - 02-12-2020

Wherever he goes, I hope he does well. He's still a decent QB IMO, and he's an even better person. And I think if he lands with right team then it could potentially be a really great value.

Best of luck to him. :andy:

RE: Report: Bengals willing to work with Andy Dalton on trade - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 02-12-2020

(02-12-2020, 06:35 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Wherever he goes, I hope he does well. He's still a decent QB IMO, and he's an even better person.  And I think if he lands with right team then it could potentially be a really great value.

Best of luck to him.  :andy:

Well said, feel the same. :andy:

(02-12-2020, 06:24 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Dalton may end up somewhere totally off the radar depending on how this plays out. Having said that my guess would be Bears.

I don't think there is evidence that Dalton is enough of an upgrade over Trubisky to justify bailing on a rookie contract and taking on a near 18 million dollar QB.  I can also see their front office desperately stinking behind Trubisky and hoping for a miracle. 

Daltons contract could lead to the rest of the NFL calling our bluff on not cutting him.