Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Learning Football - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Learning Football (/Thread-Learning-Football)

Learning Football - rezolve11 - 02-14-2020

What’s up everyone, I’ve been on these forums for about three years, and I would consider myself an above average fan in terms of knowledge. However, I want to learn more. I see so many of you talking about particular schemes and scouting players and I was wondering if anyone would have any recommendations on books that I could read to increase my knowledge. Thanks in advance!

Admins.. I didn’t really know where to post this so if it needs to move that’s cool.

Edit: books, websites.. really any tools I can use!

RE: Learning Football - fredtoast - 02-14-2020

Play Madden.

You can read all you want, but you learn more when you use it or see it in action.

RE: Learning Football - XenoMorph - 02-14-2020

(02-14-2020, 01:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Play Madden.

You can read all you want, but you learn more when you use it or see it in action.

I mean this does help as you can see all the X's and O's of each play and how they unfold on the field. it really helps learn some aspects...

Not sure of any books.

RE: Learning Football - depthchart - 02-14-2020

Mike Brown learned from the Vibrating Electric Football game from the 1970's.

Just plug it in, set up the player pieces, hit the on button and watch them move around.  Tongue

RE: Learning Football - Bengalholic - 02-14-2020

(02-14-2020, 01:00 PM)rezolve11 Wrote: What’s up everyone, I’ve been on these forums for about three years, and I would consider myself an above average fan in terms of knowledge. However, I want to learn more. I see so many of you talking about particular schemes and scouting players and I was wondering if anyone would have any recommendations on books that I could read to increase my knowledge. Thanks in advance!

Admins.. I didn’t really know where to post this so if it needs to move that’s cool.

Edit: books, websites.. really any tools I can use!

NFL.com offers a pretty cool resource that might be helpful - https://operations.nfl.com/football-101/

Also, here's a playlist on Youtube that has touches on a wide variety of stuff - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhM1HbPaa6ZFZ89KEcw_ea3ivFD6OH118

Hope it helps you out brother. Joe

RE: Learning Football - Au165 - 02-14-2020

(02-14-2020, 01:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Play Madden.

I'm not sure if you are joking or not, but honestly it isn't the worst idea. Their coverage logic isn't always right but it does kind of help visualize things for people. The skills trainer isn't a bad way to understand route concepts that beat certain coverages, but again the defensive logic is not nearly as advanced with checks like the NFL so it can oversimplify things a times.

I started out with trying to learn everything about a specific positions and the technique behind it. Then I went bigger picture in terms of concepts and positional schemes. Finally I ended up looking at total play designs. Kind of a bottom up approach to the game and it worked pretty well. I'd watch videos, read articles, follow people on twitter. Really, anything football was worth a read or a look to me because you never know where it might be applicable. 

RE: Learning Football - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 02-14-2020

(02-14-2020, 03:33 PM)Au165 Wrote: I'm not sure if you are joking or not, but honestly it isn't the worst idea. Their coverage logic isn't always right but it does kind of help visualize things for people. The skills trainer isn't a bad way to understand route concepts that beat certain coverages, but again the defensive logic is not nearly as advanced with checks like the NFL so it can oversimplify things a times.

I started out with trying to learn everything about a specific positions and the technique behind it. Then I went bigger picture in terms of concepts and positional schemes. Finally I ended up looking at total play designs. Kind of a bottom up approach to the game and it worked pretty well. I'd watch videos, read articles, follow people on twitter. Really, anything football was worth a read or a look to me because you never know where it might be applicable. 

Fred was joking.

To the OP, listen to this guy Au165 about football, knows his stuff as do lots of posters on here like Synric etc.

I like listening to EmDiggy AKA Emory Hunt on YouTube, he does some nice breakdowns.

RE: Learning Football - BengalFanInNJ - 02-14-2020

(02-14-2020, 02:45 PM)depthchart Wrote: .

Just plug it in, set up the player pieces, hit the on button and watch them move around.  Tongue

The game that took 5 seconds to play and 30 minutes to set up. 

And we all loved it!

RE: Learning Football - BengalFanInNJ - 02-14-2020

This isn't a bad resource either:

https://www.usafootball.com/

RE: Learning Football - Synric - 02-14-2020

(02-14-2020, 03:33 PM)Au165 Wrote: I'm not sure if you are joking or not, but honestly it isn't the worst idea. Their coverage logic isn't always right but it does kind of help visualize things for people. The skills trainer isn't a bad way to understand route concepts that beat certain coverages, but again the defensive logic is not nearly as advanced with checks like the NFL so it can oversimplify things a times.

I think it was 2017 Madden not sure but it gave excellent breakdowns on defensive coverages and gave great a run through of spacing and where to target against specific coverages. Showed you where to check how to set protections etc. Was a really detailed walkthrough I was very surprised.

As to the OP: Don't laugh but I have a very worn copy of Football for Dumbies on my self lol.

RE: Learning Football - Au165 - 02-14-2020

(02-14-2020, 04:36 PM)Synric Wrote: I think it was 2017 Madden not sure but it gave excellent breakdowns on defensive coverages and gave great a run through of spacing and where to target against specific coverages. Showed you where to check how to set protections etc. Was a really detailed walkthrough I was very surprised.

As to the OP: Don't laugh but I have a very worn copy of Football for Dumbies on my self lol.

Yea, their match logic in cover 3 isn't bad and shows how plays convert from zone to man based on alignment and how routes develop. Their cover logic is broke against trips through as the open side safety just kind of drops into nowhere.

RE: Learning Football - fredtoast - 02-15-2020

(02-14-2020, 04:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Fred was joking.

Actually I wasn't.

But I can understand the confusion. I have been known to accuse people of thinking they can run an NFL team just because they play Madden.

But it really does give a good idea of how things all work together in real time.

As for other resources a lot of the articles I have read in the past have come from coaching websites.  There is a lot of detailed stuff out there if you want to spend the time.

Even Wikipedia is fine to start learning basic schemes and terminology.

RE: Learning Football - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 02-15-2020

(02-15-2020, 03:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually I wasn't.

But I can understand the confusion. I have been known to accuse people of thinking they can run an NFL team just because they play Madden.

But it really does give a good idea of how things all work together in real time.

As for other resources a lot of the articles I have read in the past have come from coaching websites.  There is a lot of detailed stuff out there if you want to spend the time.

Surprised, yeah, I have heard you say that about some people on here so I thought you were running with that same premise.

But agree, you can learn some from Madden, it is a great game.

RE: Learning Football - jfkbengals - 02-15-2020

Pat Kirwan's book "Take Your Eye Off The Ball" is a great one for casual fans looking to delve deeper.

RE: Learning Football - bengalfan74 - 02-15-2020

(02-15-2020, 03:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually I wasn't.

I think that's where a lot of the Madden laughter has come from - off field stuff. "Let's trade Nick Vigil and Cordy Glenn for Patrick Mahomes" and other such nonsense because the game let them make that trade.

The actual x's and o's on the field it's pretty good.

RE: Learning Football - grampahol - 02-15-2020

"The Story of My Life"* by Johnny Football, How to drink and drug your way out of football, the public eye and become a pariah in one easy to follow paragraph! ThumbsUp And don't forget his forgettable registered trademark, COMEBACKSZN! Be sure to purchase a pair of COMEBACKSZN sneekers wherever real crap is sold!

*From the NYTimes worst seller list.

RE: Learning Football - CornerBlitz - 02-16-2020

If you have twitter, I'd start following these guys immediately:

Matt Waldman
Greg Cosell
Joe Goodberry
Ted Nguyen

Also the NFL matchup show on ESPN prior to each week is a must for me.

RE: Learning Football - bengals67 - 02-17-2020

(02-14-2020, 02:45 PM)depthchart Wrote: .

:andy: :andy: :andy: