Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Burrow: 'If they select me, they select me' - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Burrow: 'If they select me, they select me' (/Thread-Burrow-If-they-select-me-they-select-me)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: Burrow: 'If they select me, they select me' - Nately120 - 02-18-2020

(02-18-2020, 02:54 PM)Whatever Wrote: How so?  The narrative for years has been that Dalton is a mediocre QB being propped up by his supporting cast.

That's why it's a bad narrative.  The national media has gone from "The Bengals didn't do enough to surround Carson with talent" to "The Bengals have too much talent to be underachieving because of Andy" and back again.

Well it'll be interesting to see which direction they go with Burrow. 

RE: Burrow: 'If they select me, they select me' - Whatever - 02-18-2020

(02-18-2020, 02:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You can't be serious.  Burrow doesn't give a shit about the media.  I sure he was roasted pretty well by the media when he bailed on Ohio State

Obviously Burrow would rather go to the Patriots than the Bengals, but what difference does it make.  He knows how it works.  The worst team gets the best player.  Every year the best player would have probably rather gone to a different team, but it doesn't matter.  The Bengals are not near bad enough to force Burrow to threaten to sit out a year.

We will draft him, and he will play here.  And he will do his best to be the best player possible.  Doesn't matter what the media says.

People need to realize that very few NFL players get drafted by the team they would most like to play for. Honestly, I think his first choice would be the Saints.  Drew Brees is his idol, he's a folk hero in Louisiana, and who wouldn't want to be a multi-millionaire sports hero in their 20's in a party city like New Orleans?

People also need to realize he didn't play college ball at his first choice, either.  I'm sure he thought it was a lock that he was going to play for Nebraska, but they didn't even recruit him. Then he got passed over at OSU and wound up at LSU.  

At the end of the day, actions speak louder than words. Would he be training with ex Bengals and rolling around Mason with real estate agents if he didn't want to come here?  Those aren't the actions of a guy who's going to pull an Eli.

RE: Burrow: 'If they select me, they select me' - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 02-18-2020

(02-17-2020, 05:28 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: From interview today with the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
(Video) https://www.star-telegram.com/latest-news/article240368516.html

“Look, this is a long process, right?” Burrow said. “They have their process that they have to go through, and so I am blessed to be in the position I’m in. If they select me, they select me, I’m going to do everything in my power to be the best football player I can be.”

“It’s a long process in the next couple of months,” Burrow said. “We have the combine. We have pro days. There is a long time until the draft. There is a lot of information in a lot of different places. A lot of people saying a lot of things. I’m just focused on training right now.”

Just more confirmation on what most all of us already know. He is saying the right things at this juncture like I thought he would.

BTW, watched Draft Day yesterday the movie with Costner and it was kind of similar but the opposite. Of course it is the Stains but
they end up trading up to the #1 overall pick, trading their 1st rounders for the next 3 years for a supposed can't miss pick and end 
up taking the guy they could of taken at 7 instead. Sounded like a Stains move until Costner runs circles around the rest of the 
owners. What a fictional movie lmao!

The thing that I like best about Burrow is he is a team player. Unlike a Bo Callahan lol

RE: Burrow: 'If they select me, they select me' - Gamma Ray Tan - 02-18-2020

Mike Florio and Chris Sims were talking about Burrow not wanting to come to the Bengals and Florio said “If you don’t believe Joe Burrow has reservations about being drafted by Cincinnati....WAKE UP! Sims said you can tell by what and how things are being said that he is waiting to decide if he wants to make a “Power Play” to get out of Cincy.

We’ll see in about 2 months, I guess

RE: Burrow: 'If they select me, they select me' - BengalsBong - 02-18-2020

(02-17-2020, 06:18 PM)MEBengalsFan Wrote: He finally said the right thing. 

Prior to this, his statement of wanting to play for a winner a SB bound team showed me that he didn't want to be picked by the Bengals or another team that was picking at the top of the draft. I'm not stating that the Bengals can't be a winner but given their two seasons they definitely don't look like one. I'm not expecting the Bengals to be in the playoff in 2020. 2021, well hopefully they will make the playoffs, get their first playoff win in years, and maybe even make the AFC championship game. 
Super Bowl bound teams picks are the last ten picks in the first round he does not want to be picked then. If he wants to be picked number one overall he will not be going to a Super Bowl contender. Could he make a number one overall pick team good enough to make the playoffs and have a shot at a Super Bowl run yes if all the stars line up. You can not have your cake and eat it too. Either you want to be picked first overall or he wants to play for a team that was in the playoffs last year.

RE: Burrow: 'If they select me, they select me' - DesertBengal - 02-18-2020

Amidst all the media negativity of Burrow to the Bengals, there is a little Bengals positivity from the media too

On the latest Move the Sticks podcast with Bucky Brooks and Daniel Jeremiah (from minute 2:00 to 19:50) they talk highly of Joe Burrow and then take a listener question asking: Would Joe Burrow be walking into the most talent rich offence for a first overall QB pick in recent memory? (minute 17:25)

Rather than taking this opportunity to bash the Bengals as many others in the media would, they spoke highly of the Bengals offensive pieces and said it is the best situation for a first overall QB, since Cam Newton was drafted.

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/move-the-sticks-with-daniel-jeremiah/e/67299277?autoplay=true

RE: Burrow: 'If they select me, they select me' - JSR18 - 02-18-2020

(02-17-2020, 10:43 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I believe we have discussed contradicting me in public.
Dammit man. Don't do that. For a brief minute I thought my wife was posting on these boards...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

RE: Burrow: 'If they select me, they select me' - fredtoast - 02-18-2020

(02-18-2020, 03:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The thing that I like best about Burrow is he is a team player. Unlike a Bo Callahan lol

EVERYONE went to Joe Bro's Birthday Party.

RE: Burrow: 'If they select me, they select me' - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 02-18-2020

(02-18-2020, 05:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: EVERYONE went to Joe Bro's Birthday Party.

Damn rights ha ha  Joe

RE: Burrow: 'If they select me, they select me' - SadFaceBengal15 - 02-18-2020

(02-17-2020, 06:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: For the 100th time...….He can't say he is happy to be a Bengal until they select him.  How stupid would he sound if he went around saying how happy he was to be going to the Bengals and then end up with another team.

Burrow is saying EXACTLY THE SAME THING that ever potential #1 pick says at this time of year.

Everyone needs to just lighten up.

Disagree I think he is simply being as professional as one can be when talking about a trash organization that’s about to select you. He could easily say... “If the bengals take me I’ll be pumped to be a bengal and win them some championships and work everyday to bring that to the city of Cincinnati” but he doesn’t and hasn’t said anything like that remotely once. It’s no big deal to me cuz it’s what I wouldn’t expect from any player about to be drafted by the bengals but don’t act like he saying exactly what he should be saying cuz that’s nonsense. Nobody is saying that he should be saying he happy to be a bengal cuz as u pointed out with your brilliant research he’s not been drafted yet by them but there is zero enthusiasm with Burrow at the possibility of playing for the bengals. And that’s telling.

RE: Burrow: 'If they select me, they select me' - jj22 - 02-18-2020

(02-18-2020, 06:09 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Disagree I think he is simply being as professional as one can be when talking about a trash organization that’s about to select you.  He could easily say... “If the bengals take me I’ll be pumped to be a bengal and win them some championships and work everyday to bring that to the city of Cincinnati” but he doesn’t and hasn’t said anything like that remotely once.  It’s no big deal to me cuz it’s what I wouldn’t expect from any player about to be drafted by the bengals but don’t act like he saying exactly what he should be saying cuz that’s nonsense.  Nobody is saying that he should be saying he happy to be a bengal cuz as u pointed out with your brilliant research he’s not been drafted yet by them but there is zero enthusiasm with Burrow at the possibility of playing for the bengals.  And that’s telling.

Well Baker stated he wanted to help turn Cleveland around and Murray spoke highly of Kingsbury throughout his draft process so their is a precedent about saying something (anything) nice about the organization picking #1.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/18/if-joe-burrow-wants-to-play-for-the-bengals-why-hasnt-he-simply-said-so/

I will say Bengals fans have been on it because the comments and responses on social media and PFT have been pro Bengals and anti this Fake narrative.

RE: Burrow: 'If they select me, they select me' - fredtoast - 02-18-2020

(02-18-2020, 06:12 PM)jj22 Wrote:  Murray spoke highly of Kingsbury throughout his draft process so their is a precedent about saying something (anything) nice about the organization picking #1.

At this point last year Murray was not saying anything about Klingsbury or the Cards because they were still saying Rosen was their man and they were not drafting a QB..

I stand by my comments that this early in the process none of the potential #1 picks were ever gushing over going to the team with the #1 pick.  It is just too early.

(02-18-2020, 06:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: At this point last year Murray was not saying anything about Klingsbury or the Cards because they were still saying Rosen was their man and they were not drafting a QB..

I stand by my comments that this early in the process none of the potential #1 picks were ever gushing over going to the team with the #1 pick.  It is just too early.

Don't know the history, there might be an exception somewhere (there always is) but I agree.

Way too early to say anything about any team you might supposedly go to.

It would just be assumption which is the mother of F'ups.

(02-18-2020, 06:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: At this point last year Murray was not saying anything about Klingsbury or the Cards because they were still saying Rosen was their man and they were not drafting a QB..

That makes sense, and speaking of Rosen he was saying he was hesitant of declaring if the Browns had the top pick and then Darnold and Mayfield made much more Browns-friendly statements when asked.  The Cardinals taking Murray wasn't nearly a slam-dunk as Burrow to the Bengals is now, so I can see why people would wonder why Burrow doesn't just say "I'm pumped to be a Bengal" but I can also see why he's able to not gush but still be amenable to being selected by the Bengals.  If Mike Brown was saying Dalton is their man and he's their QB going forward I would expect people to be less on Burrow's arse about not being Mr. Bengal already.

Lord knows the Mike Brown Bengals have earned the skepticism they get from the media, so I can see why they're all over this situation and the less exemplary an organization is the less "evidence" they need that a top pick is unhappy to be on their radar.  I can't imagine if Burrow said he was excited to be a Bengal and the Bengals traded down or did something super unlikely that led to Burrow being on another team said other team and their fans wouldn't care and realize he was just providing lip service.  

Then again, if Burrow said "I wanna be a Bengal!" the media could just spin it that he was providing lip service and saying what he figured people wanted to hear and still was freaking out about being taken by the Bengals.  With that being said, he's not really doing much to dispel the notion that he's clenching his arse knowing he's in the sites of a GM who drafted within the top ten of fourteen times as a GM and took three QBs at 6, 3, and 1 overall during that span.

RE: Burrow: 'If they select me, they select me' - BengalsFan1986 - 02-18-2020

(02-18-2020, 06:12 PM)jj22 Wrote: Well Baker stated he wanted to help turn Cleveland around and Murray spoke highly of Kingsbury throughout his draft process so their is a precedent about saying something (anything) nice about the organization picking #1.

But Mayfield and Murray weren’t consensus #1 overall picks either. Mayfield wasn’t even considered the best QB in his draft, let alone the top pick. Saying he loved the idea of going to Cleveland mighty have earned him millions of dollars.

Arizona had taken Josh Rosen the year before. There was a really good argument that taking another 1st round QB, let alone at #1 overall, was a waste of a pick for the Cardinals. Him saying nice things about Kingsbury might have earned him millions of dollars.

Burrow is the consensus #1 overall pick. Whether it’s the Bengals who take him or a team that trades up for him is the only question. Burrow has nothing to gain from saying he wants to play for anyone and potentially millions of dollars to lose. In the incredibly slim chance the Bengals keep the #1 pick and pass on Burrow, and Burrow has said, “you bet your ass I want to play for the Bengals,” as Florio has suggested needs to happen to stop their narrative, how big of a moron does Joe Burrow look like? Why take that chance before you’ve even talked to a single team at the combine?

(02-18-2020, 07:00 PM)BengalsFan1986 Wrote: Burrow is the consensus #1 overall pick. Whether it’s the Bengals who take him or a team that trades up for him is the only question. Burrow has nothing to gain from saying he wants to play for anyone and potentially millions of dollars to lose. In the incredibly slim chance the Bengals keep the #1 pick and pass on Burrow, and Burrow has said, “you bet your ass I want to play for the Bengals,” as Florio has suggested needs to happen to stop their narrative, how big of a moron does Joe Burrow look like? Why take that chance before you’ve even talked to a single team at the combine?

Because he's the consensus #1 pick and no way if he says this do the Bengals trade the pick. That's why this story continues.

And Kingsbury told everyone at the Seniorbowl last year (per reports) that Murray was the pick.

RE: Burrow: 'If they select me, they select me' - J24 - 02-18-2020

(02-17-2020, 10:30 PM)Nately120 Wrote: No one questions why Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson retired early and plenty of media outlets ran with Rosen saying he didn't want to get drafted by the Browns.  Those franchises get their fair share of well earned skepticism.

The difference I can think of is the Lions and Browns fire and hire GMs and we just soldier on with MB decade after decade.  That possibly adds a sense of "same as it ever was" to the Bengals. 

Yep they have they at least we try and are open to new things. The Brown Family is not known for that. 

RE: Burrow: 'If they select me, they select me' - Hammerstripes - 02-18-2020

Maybe, just maybe, Burrow is the first #1 overall pick in a long time that isn't starstruck about being #1 overall.

He pretty much just answers everything matter of fact. He hasn't even met with any of the Bengals coaches or ownership. How can he really come out and say anything?

He has friends on the team and he's been looking at houses in the area. His dad has repeatedly said that they have no problem coming to Cincy. This is really a non issue ........

Until they meet with Mike Brown and everyone else and they screw it up.

(02-18-2020, 07:00 PM)BengalsFan1986 Wrote: In the incredibly slim chance the Bengals keep the #1 pick and pass on Burrow, and Burrow has said, “you bet your ass I want to play for the Bengals,” as Florio has suggested needs to happen to stop their narrative, how big of a moron does Joe Burrow look like? Why take that chance before you’ve even talked to a single team at the combine?

If Burrow says "I'd LOVE to play for the Bengals!" and he ends up on another team their fanbase is going to explode with glee because they will say they just snagged a top talent QB who was happy to play for the "crappy Bengals" and will therefore super love playing for their team (which is super awesome, because it's their team) and also Burrow will be super pissed off the idiot Bengals passed on him and he will play even harder to shove that Lombardi up Mike Brown's wrinkly ol' arse!"

I just can't see a scenario where people hold Burrow expressing enthusiasm about the Bengals against him, especially if he says he wants to be here and the Bengals blow it against all odds and all logic.