Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Votto looking “in best shape of his life” - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: General Sports (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-General-Sports)
+--- Forum: Cincinnati Reds (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Reds)
+--- Thread: Votto looking “in best shape of his life” (/Thread-Votto-looking-%E2%80%9Cin-best-shape-of-his-life%E2%80%9D)

Pages: 1 2

Votto looking “in best shape of his life” - Yojimbo - 02-20-2020

Reds twitter just posted some pics of Votto at ST and he’s looking jacked. Looks like he put in the work to try and get his offense back on track. Maybe there’s hope?

Complete opposite of Moose, who came in looking like he’s 20 lbs over weight.

RE: Votto looking “in best shape of his life” - fredtoast - 02-20-2020

Votto's problems had nothing to do with him being out of shape.

RE: Votto looking “in best shape of his life” - fredtoast - 02-20-2020

(02-20-2020, 06:22 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Complete opposite of Moose, who came in looking like he’s 20 lbs over weight.

Do you have a photo or a link to someone saying he is fat or overweight?

I have been looking but can't find anything.

RE: Votto looking “in best shape of his life” - Yojimbo - 02-20-2020

(02-20-2020, 06:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Votto's problems had nothing to do with him being out of shape.

Point I was making is he looks like he made a commitment to be bigger and stronger, so he must have thought he needed to change something. His power numbers were way down last year, adding some extra muscle could help there.

(02-20-2020, 06:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Do you have a photo or a link to someone saying he is fat or overweight?

I have been looking but can't find anything.

Again, pic posted on Reds Twitter.

https://twitter.com/reds/status/1229511053601435648?s=21

RE: Votto looking “in best shape of his life” - Forever Spinning Vinyl - 02-21-2020

Lifting weights doesn't help your numbers if all you're interested in is fouling off pitches until you get ball four. He needs to work on not overthinking everything and focus on trying to attack on offense instead of being defensive on offense. It's not as complex as he makes it out to be. "See the ball. Hit the ball." He's either trying to either walk or get the perfect pitch to hit on each at bat. Since most MLB pitchers rarely throw a strike down the middle, why not try spending ST working on hitting non-perfect pitches? Nope. He's going to practice that stupid check swing for most of ST, start slow like he does every year and then maybe, he won't suck the rest of the year after a couple of months of "warming up". Fingers crossed (again).

RE: Votto looking “in best shape of his life” - grampahol - 02-22-2020

(02-21-2020, 08:14 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Lifting weights doesn't help your numbers if all you're interested in is fouling off pitches until you get ball four. He needs to work on not overthinking everything and focus on trying to attack on offense instead of being defensive on offense. It's not as complex as he makes it out to be. "See the ball. Hit the ball." He's either trying to either walk or get the perfect pitch to hit on each at bat. Since most MLB pitchers rarely throw a strike down the middle, why not try spending ST working on hitting non-perfect pitches? Nope. He's going to practice that stupid check swing for most of ST, start slow like he does every year and then maybe, he won't suck the rest of the year after a couple of months of "warming up". Fingers crossed (again).

I agree..Being jacked means little when it comes to just hitting the ball. Eye to hand coordination and timing is farm more important than pure muscle. One of the best pure hitters I knew growing up with a skinny dude without much muscle, but he could put the bat on the ball every time. Big, strong guys tend to swing and miss a LOT.. I'm not much of a fan of homerun or bust hitters. I'd take a .389 hitter all day over a guy who can hit 40 homeruns, but strikes out 600 times in a season. Remember Dunn? I couldn't wait to get rid of the guy.

RE: Votto looking “in best shape of his life” - samhain - 02-23-2020

Votto's biggest problem is approach and falling into mental rabbit holes. Not much can be done about it IMO. He knows (and has possibly forgotten) more about hitting than almost anyone who's ever lived. He needs get his head straight and find a place that works for him.

It's a tough thing to watch when you know what he's capable of, but it's part of the deal. He probably would never have been the caliber of player he once was without his mindset.

RE: Votto looking “in best shape of his life” - bengalfan74 - 02-23-2020

(02-21-2020, 08:14 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Lifting weights doesn't help your numbers if all you're interested in is fouling off pitches until you get ball four. He needs to work on not overthinking everything and focus on trying to attack on offense instead of being defensive on offense. It's not as complex as he makes it out to be. "See the ball. Hit the ball." He's either trying to either walk or get the perfect pitch to hit on each at bat. Since most MLB pitchers rarely throw a strike down the middle, why not try spending ST working on hitting non-perfect pitches? Nope. He's going to practice that stupid check swing for most of ST, start slow like he does every year and then maybe, he won't suck the rest of the year after a couple of months of "warming up". Fingers crossed (again).

Yep

I really hope Votto gets it back together, I really do !!

I believe he's waiting on the perfect pitch every at bat. Like you say he's rarely gonna get it. To have any hope of returning to prior form he HAS TO get more aggressive.

My fear is he's well entrenched in his head case ways, hope I'm wrong.

RE: Votto looking “in best shape of his life” - grampahol - 02-26-2020

Nobody is in the best shape of their lives at 36 years old unless they spent 35 years in an emergency room critical care unit on a space ship in orbit.. Life just doesn't work that way. Last time I checked we all have to fight off the effects of gravity. Face it folks, nobody is not getting older. You either get older or you die first,, The End.

RE: Votto looking “in best shape of his life” - Circleville Guy - 02-27-2020

Last year at this time they were talking about how jacked Votto looked and he also had that T-shirt thing that he was flashing. Votto probably just needs to chill a little more. He’s already put tons of work into things. There has to be an overthink point to hitting and that’s where Votto seems to be now.

RE: Votto looking “in best shape of his life” - grampahol - 03-01-2020

I'd take some skinny runt of a kid who can hit .300 in the 2 hole any day over some aging "jacked" guy who only hits decent towards the end of the season. They need someone truly hungry for the 2 hole with the talent to pull it off. Votto kind of reminds me of an aging politician running for office when there are clearly better options.
I like Joey Votto and hope he has a great season, but if he doesn't hit anywhere near league average the first few months he needs to be dropped from the 2 hole..End of conversation..

Thinking of aging players gasping for a spot.. How about Scott Schebler's throw to the plate yesterday to save a run? So it was from LF, but still better than nothing..
https://www.mlb.com/reds/video/scott-schebler-nabs-miller-at-home?t=spring-training

RE: Votto looking “in best shape of his life” - bengalfan74 - 03-01-2020

(03-01-2020, 01:10 PM)grampahol Wrote: I'd take some skinny runt of a kid who can hit .300 in the 2 hole any day over some aging "jacked" guy who only hits decent towards the end of the season. They need someone truly hungry for the 2 hole with the talent to pull it off. Votto kind of reminds me of an aging politician running for office when there are clearly better options.
I like Joey Votto and hope he has a great season, but if he doesn't hit anywhere near league average the first few months he needs to be dropped from the 2 hole..End of conversation..

Thinking of aging players gasping for a spot.. How about Scott Schebler's throw to the plate yesterday to save a run? So it was from LF, but still better than nothing..
https://www.mlb.com/reds/video/scott-schebler-nabs-miller-at-home?t=spring-training

I agree gramps

Votto comes out the first month hitting his usual season starting .125 with 2 RBI's he needs to swallow his pride and drop down to 6th or 7th. I question the wisdom of putting him there to begin with ? His base running has never been great but the last couple seasons it's really dropped into the gutter.

RE: Votto looking “in best shape of his life” - fredtoast - 03-01-2020

(03-01-2020, 01:23 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: His base running has never been great but the last couple seasons it's really dropped into the gutter.

Not just lack of speed,  He seems to make a lot of bad ddcisions on the basepaths.

RE: Votto looking “in best shape of his life” - jmccracky - 03-01-2020

Would love to see Votto have a .295 avg, 20-25 hrs, and 80+ rbi's. I'm really falling in love with this team.

Still just 2 runs so far today. Had bases jammed with no out and came up with just one on a sac fly. Still haven't see the starters a whole lot. I'd like to see them get some real time and get heated up before the season starts instead of throwing every kid from the minors out there every game.. I get you want to see what the kids can do, but balance it with current needs and they need to get everyone cooking with gas. Comming up: Trahan, India and Fairchild.. Looks like the kids are gonna keep playing.

Jeeez..India still trying to be an error machine. He almost threw one away.. Brantly Bell saved him at first.. Personally I'd find a trade partner for India. He's no hot corner phenom..

RE: Votto looking “in best shape of his life” - bengalfan74 - 03-02-2020

(03-01-2020, 01:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not just lack of speed,  He seems to make a lot of bad ddcisions on the basepaths.

Indeed he does

I'm trying hard to lay off Votto, I am. But in his first at bat yesterday he just looked lost, like a 20 year old rookie in his first major league at bat with nerves rocking him. He stood there and watched the count go to 2-2 and didn't even twitch. Then he finally struck out with this half baked weird looking piss poor swing.

It's like he's afraid to swing or something ? I'm not trying to be funny when I say I'm believing more and more he needs to talk to a shrink. He's got to get whatever is holding him back out of his head, we need him.

RE: Votto looking “in best shape of his life” - bengalfan74 - 03-03-2020

Votto got a hit yipeeeee

RE: Votto looking “in best shape of his life” - Circleville Guy - 03-03-2020

(03-03-2020, 09:23 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Votto got a hit yipeeeee

You would think that he would work more on taking walks.

RE: Votto looking “in best shape of his life” - Forever Spinning Vinyl - 03-07-2020

Just grounded into a double play to go 0-3 in today's split squad game against the Royals.

Now batting .063 for the Spring.