Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Too nostalgic? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Too nostalgic? (/Thread-Too-nostalgic)

Pages: 1 2

Too nostalgic? - Catmandude123 - 02-25-2020

Are the Bengals fans too nostalgic? Do we try to live in the not so glorious past? Posts about bringing back past their prime players when they know they will never be what they once were only magnifies the dilemma the team faces when trying to reinvent themselves. While veteran presence is a positive thing you can't sacrifice replacing players who are the future. Whit, Burfict, Dalton and even AJ are not the future of the franchise. Do you re-sign any of them when you could get a better younger FA player? The remake of the team is stunted when we ignore the obvious.

RE: Too nostalgic? - TJHoushmandzadeh's Shiny Shoes - 02-25-2020

I think most Bengals fans are currently living in the future and are most interested in Joe Burrow.

There are a few though who still live in the past and bring everything back to Andy Dalton.

RE: Too nostalgic? - fredtoast - 02-25-2020

(02-25-2020, 11:49 AM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: There are a few though who still live in the past and bring everything back to Andy Dalton.

Rep.

These comments from Bengal fans are fueled by the history of brining back former players like Michael Johnson and Andre Smith.

Johnson was an exception because he was still young and productive, but most of the suggestions involve older guys who are past their prime.

RE: Too nostalgic? - hollodero - 02-25-2020

I'd guess the Burfict talk does not stem from nostalgia, but from the fact we have no competent LB corps at all.

RE: Too nostalgic? - Gdale_Bengal - 02-25-2020

I'm only interested in improving the team. If Whit can still play at a reasonably high level then I'm all for bringing him back.
But everyone else just arent the players we want moving forward

RE: Too nostalgic? - Mike M (the other one) - 02-25-2020

Hunh? I don't think anyone really wants us to bring back older players.
I would like for us to bring in older players, but not to be on the Roster, but to coach. I think we have some former players that could be great coaches in the NFL.

RE: Too nostalgic? - Sled21 - 02-25-2020

(02-25-2020, 12:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: These comments from Bengal fans are fueled by the history of brining back former players like Michael Johnson and Andre Smith.

Johnson was an exception because he was still young and productive, but most of the suggestions involve older guys who are past their prime.

And Chris Crocker, who came back from the couch time after time....

(02-25-2020, 01:44 PM)Sled21 Wrote: And Chris Crocker, who came back from the couch time after time....

And Pat Sims.

I am sure I could come up with more if I really looked into it.  Our front office likes guys that they know.

RE: Too nostalgic? - QueenCity - 02-25-2020

I think a lot of Bengals fans are nostalogic about losing for sure. The pessimism is a very glaring issue that the FO needs to fix.

Bringing in Burrow and a few FA's will hopefully change the mood.

RE: Too nostalgic? - HarleyDog - 02-25-2020

I think some just want an able body to fill a position until a suitable draft pick can fill it. Can't use the excuse of bringing back players because they know the playbook tho since it has changed.

RE: Too nostalgic? - ochocincos - 02-25-2020

(02-25-2020, 11:38 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Are the Bengals fans too nostalgic? Do we try to live in the not so glorious past? Posts about bringing back past their prime players when they know they will never be what they once were only magnifies the dilemma the team faces when trying to reinvent themselves. While veteran presence is a positive thing you can't sacrifice replacing players who are the future. Whit, Burfict, Dalton and even AJ are not the future of the franchise. Do you re-sign any of them when you could get a better younger FA player? The remake of the team is stunted when we ignore the obvious.

Whit is different IMO. While he did decline at OT last year, a conversion to OG could elongate his career, and he'd probably be better at LG than anyone else the Bengals have on staff right now.

With that said, I understand your point in the overall thought process of sticking with what you know vs traveling into the unknown with new players.

Personally, I'm fine with moving on from all of Dalton, Green, Eifert, Glenn, and Kirkpatrick, but that's just me. I'd like to see the Bengals in the AFC Championship in my adult life and I don't think any of those guys will help get the team there.

RE: Too nostalgic? - Catmandude123 - 02-25-2020

(02-25-2020, 06:15 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Whit is different IMO. While he did decline at OT last year, a conversion to OG could elongate his career, and he'd probably be better at LG than anyone else the Bengals have on staff right now.

With that said, I understand your point in the overall thought process of sticking with what you know vs traveling into the unknown with new players.

Personally, I'm fine with moving on from all of Dalton, Green, Eifert, Glenn, and Kirkpatrick, but that's just me. I'd like to see the Bengals in the AFC Championship in my adult life and I don't think any of those guys will help get the team there.
 I believe Whit would be a great leader for the o-line. I don't think he would demand a huge chunk of the cap space. Glenn is basically gone after the crap he pulled last year, AJ ought to give the team a break on guaranteed money or let him walk, and Dalton shouldn't be considered as a back-up QB at his salary, and even thinking about Burfict being re-signed is nothing short of crazy. I want a new team even if it means a few more subpar years before it turns around. I am tired of watching the same underachievers every Sunday and living my own version of the movie "Groundhog Day".

RE: Too nostalgic? - Bengalitis - 02-25-2020

(02-25-2020, 11:38 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Are the Bengals fans too nostalgic? Do we try to live in the not so glorious past? Posts about bringing back past their prime players when they know they will never be what they once were only magnifies the dilemma the team faces when trying to reinvent themselves. While veteran presence is a positive thing you can't sacrifice replacing players who are the future. Whit, Burfict, Dalton and even AJ are not the future of the franchise. Do you re-sign any of them when you could get a better younger FA player? The remake of the team is stunted when we ignore the obvious.

The best antidote to this is by replacing them to an equivalent of cheerleaders. Nobody wants to keep re-signing those aging cheerleaders now, do we?  Ninja

Joe agrees!  Joe

RE: Too nostalgic? - hollodero - 02-25-2020

(02-25-2020, 09:15 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Nobody wants to keep re-signing those aging cheerleaders now, do we?  Ninja

Well, when looking at the Bengals cheerleader squad I have a feeling they were resigned many many times.

Which leads me to the need of a cheerleader draft with the best young prospects from college. Ugliest squad picks first. 

RE: Too nostalgic? - grampahol - 02-26-2020

(02-25-2020, 09:30 PM)hollodero Wrote: Well, when looking at the Bengals cheerleader squad I have a feeling they were resigned many many times.

Which leads me to the need of a cheerleader draft with the best young prospects from college. Ugliest squad picks first. 

Therein lies the problem.. Beauty is always subjective. Look back in time and you'll see many people wrongfully believed Barbara Streisand was the most beautiful woman alive. She wasn't the ugliest, but was never gonna be the most beautiful. Just because some media schmuck says it's so doesn't mean it is so..
one thing is true though..Nostalgia is a seductive liar.

RE: Too nostalgic? - ochocincos - 02-26-2020

(02-25-2020, 09:05 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote:  I believe Whit would be a great leader for the o-line. I don't think he would demand a huge chunk of the cap space. Glenn is basically gone after the crap he pulled last year, AJ ought to give the team a break on guaranteed money or let him walk, and Dalton shouldn't be considered as a back-up QB at his salary, and even thinking about Burfict being re-signed is nothing short of crazy. I want a new team even if it means a few more subpar years before it turns around. I am tired of watching the same underachievers every Sunday and living my own version of the movie "Groundhog Day".

We can't really know what Whitworth would demand or be offered.
Is he worth what Cordy Glenn is currently set to make this year ($9.5 mill)? Probably given his ability to play LT better than Cordy Glenn, even at his age.
I don't think a 2-year, $24 mill deal would be unreasonable for pulling Whitworth back to Cincinnati to cover either LT or LG. That contract would put him 4th on the OG salary per year, and just out of the Top 10 for LT's.

So bottom line, would you be willing to spend more for Whitworth than what Cordy Glenn's cap hit would be?
I would.

RE: Too nostalgic? - fredtoast - 02-26-2020

If Whit has lost the skills to play LT then he has lost the skills to play LG.

Going all the way back to when he was drafted Whit seemed like the kind of guy who would make a good coach.  I'd love to bring him back in that capacity.

RE: Too nostalgic? - Catmandude123 - 02-26-2020

(02-26-2020, 12:06 PM)ochocincos Wrote: We can't really know what Whitworth would demand or be offered.
Is he worth what Cordy Glenn is currently set to make this year ($9.5 mill)? Probably given his ability to play LT better than Cordy Glenn, even at his age.
I don't think a 2-year, $24 mill deal would be unreasonable for pulling Whitworth back to Cincinnati to cover either LT or LG. That contract would put him 4th on the OG salary per year, and just out of the Top 10 for LT's.

So bottom line, would you be willing to spend more for Whitworth than what Cordy Glenn's cap hit would be?
I would.

If they can get comparable talent for less money then that's the route they should take. 

RE: Too nostalgic? - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 02-26-2020

I don't just think it is the fans being nostalgic as much as its the way we all know the way the FO is ran.

The FO likes to bring back former Bengals.

With Whit for me it is more of bringing him back in a leadership role and I think he would be worth it on this alone.

With Burfict he has a great Defensive mind even if I don't think he can cut it on the field anymore and our LB's are so bad besides
Pratt and Vigil to the contrary of some that act like Vigil is the worst LB in the NFL, he is not when healthy BTW.

Dalton will move on and it should benefit everyone so moot point.

AJ should be back cause Burrow wants him here but it needs to be on an incentive laden contract that takes into account his injury
history. This is not nostalgia, it is the fact that WHEN healthy AJ is one of the best WR's in the NFL. It might be a risk but playing it
safe never helped a gambler and only gamblers win the big one.