Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Burrow Quote - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Burrow Quote (/Thread-Burrow-Quote)

Pages: 1 2 3

Burrow Quote - BFritz21 - 03-04-2020

An analyst was talking in-game about how he sat down with Burrow and Burrow said "if the DB isn't looking," meaning if they're in man-to-man and there's no help, "I'm throwing."

I like that because it shows his big play ability and how he's always looking for the opening to make a throw. It also shows no fear, which fear in this league will kill a career.

Burrow is an athletic guy that takes chances and I realize that the NFL will be tougher, but the SEC isn't exactly a cake walk and it just shows his ability to make the lives of our receivers easier and to light-up the scoreboard.

I'M EXCITED!

RE: Burrow Quote - guyofthetiger - 03-04-2020

Now the defense knows what's coming. DB's will act like they aren't looking and get an interception. Just like wearing sunglasses on the beach and looking out the corner of your eyes.

RE: Burrow Quote - ochocincos - 03-04-2020

(03-04-2020, 11:45 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Now the defense knows what's coming. DB's will act like they aren't looking and get an interception. Just like wearing sunglasses on the beach and looking out the corner of your eyes.

Easier said than done. If that were the case, the Bengals DBs would have a lot more interceptions!  Hilarious

RE: Burrow Quote - Truck_1_0_1_ - 03-04-2020

(03-04-2020, 11:45 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Now the defense knows what's coming. DB's will act like they aren't looking and get an interception. Just like wearing sunglasses on the beach and looking out the corner of your eyes.

Yeah, it doesn't work that way.

Have you ever played football in your life?

RE: Burrow Quote - XenoMorph - 03-04-2020

I mean brad this is great and all But its pretty much something Qbs are trained to do. Not some special burrow power.

RE: Burrow Quote - Sled21 - 03-04-2020

We're going to rely on running the ball this year anyway.

RE: Burrow Quote - ezekiel23 - 03-04-2020

Burrow is a little cocky,and quite confident in himself.Some might even say over confident,and a fierce competitor.But,,,,,I like these traits in a Quarterback.

RE: Burrow Quote - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-04-2020

Can get pass interference doing this, it is the way QB's are trained now. Burrow's accuracy is what sets him apart in
this area in my opinion, he can throw his Receiver open and then just decline the pass interference. Even though I
cannot stand Mayfield now, that is what I thought he brought to the table over the other QB's in his Draft.

The ability to throw Receivers open is a special talent.

RE: Burrow Quote - BFritz21 - 03-04-2020

Hilarious

Really?  

You're missing the point.  When a defender is playing man-to-man, they're looking at the receiver because that's what you're trained to do and they don't look back unless the receiver does, and sometimes not even then because they're out of position and the receiver is looking to catch the ball.  They're usually not even facing the QB, either.  If the defender is playing zone, the DB is looking at the QB and trying to keep a receiver in the view out of the corner of their eye, which is why the QB looks at the defender when they're playing zone so he doesn't give away where the receiver will be.
(03-04-2020, 02:06 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I mean brad this is great and all But its pretty much something Qbs are trained to do.   Not some special burrow power.
Most are, but it takes a great QB to be great at it.  A young guy coming out and saying that's what he's going to do shows confidence and an attacking mentality.  They're trained to throw before a receiver breaks his route off, but they don't always just throw when a DB has his head turned.
(03-04-2020, 02:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Can get pass interference doing this, it is the way QB's are trained now. Burrow's accuracy is what sets him apart in
this area in my opinion, he can throw his Receiver open and then just decline the pass interference. Even though I
cannot stand Mayfield now, that is what I thought he brought to the table over the other QB's in his Draft.

The ability to throw Receivers open is a special talent.

Exactly.  He's throwing his receivers open.  He knows his receivers will be at a certain point, but also that he can throw it a little bit off of the route if his receiver's looking at him and the defender's not because his receiver can adjust and the DB can't, which causes the pass interference, like you said.

(03-04-2020, 06:01 PM)BFritz21 Wrote:  Exactly.  He's throwing his receivers open.  He knows his receivers will be at a certain point, but also that he can throw it a little bit off of the route if his receiver's looking at him and the defender's not because his receiver can adjust and the DB can't, which causes the pass interference, like you said.

I just hope our Offense plays through instead of what we used to do when we would get PI.

If there is PI there is nothing to lose in passing that ball except a big play for your Offense.

This drove me nuts for years in watching Marv's teams. Take the shot, it is a free play for heck sake!!! Confused

RE: Burrow Quote - SHRacerX - 03-04-2020

(03-04-2020, 04:13 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: An analyst was talking in-game about how he sat down with Burrow and Burrow said "if the DB isn't looking," meaning if they're in man-to-man and there's no help, "I'm throwing."

I like that because it shows his big play ability and how he's always looking for the opening to make a throw.  It also shows no fear, which fear in this league will kill a career.

Burrow is an athletic guy that takes chances and I realize that the NFL will be tougher, but the SEC isn't exactly a cake walk and it just shows his ability to make the lives of our receivers easier and to light-up the scoreboard.

I'M EXCITED!

I am amazed what I am hearing about how the analysts are poking holes in his game.  I see a guy that has the vision of a Brady, the accuracy of a Brees, and the toughness of a Kurt Warner.  es, I know the expectations will be sky high for him, as they were for Palmer.  I just don't see Burrow being anything but outstanding here in every way.  I am beyond excited to see him here.  

RE: Burrow Quote - Nati#1 - 03-04-2020

Also shows faith in the reciever. AJ will love Burrow if he throws jump balls. Scared Andy would never make those kinds of throws.

RE: Burrow Quote - BFritz21 - 03-04-2020

(03-04-2020, 06:20 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I am amazed what I am hearing about how the analysts are poking holes in his game.  I see a guy that has the vision of a Brady, the accuracy of a Brees, and the toughness of a Kurt Warner.  es, I know the expectations will be sky high for him, as they were for Palmer.  I just don't see Burrow being anything but outstanding here in every way.  I am beyond excited to see him here.  
I'm beyond excited for him, too, for all the reasons you listed.  He seems like he has pieces from all the greats mixed into one player.

I watched film on him and didn't really see an issue with his deep ball, but hopefully he gets with Tom House if he needs to and improves the deep ball (or just improves it) because a guy throwing to where his receivers can beat the defenders, mixed with the ability to go deep at any time, will be unstoppable.
(03-04-2020, 06:26 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: Also shows faith in the reciever. AJ will love Burrow if he throws jump balls. Scared Andy would never make those kinds of throws.

I agree and I think that's part of what made AJ never reach his full potential.  

Get AJ and Burrow on the same page and just let them play off the other's abilities.  Let them feed off on another.  To me, this sounds like backyard football with an organized aspect to it in the fact that you pretty much just let them go out and make plays.  Two players with their abilities is tough to stop.

(03-04-2020, 06:35 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I'm beyond excited for him, too, for all the reasons you listed.  He seems like he has pieces from all the greats mixed into one player.

I watched film on him and didn't really see an issue with his deep ball, but hopefully he gets with Tom House if he needs to and improves the deep ball (or just improves it) because a guy throwing to where his receivers can beat the defenders, mixed with the ability to go deep at any time, will be unstoppable.

I agree and I think that's part of what made AJ never reach his full potential.  

Get AJ and Burrow on the same page and just let them play off the other's abilities.  Let them feed off on another.  To me, this sounds like backyard football with an organized aspect to it in the fact that you pretty much just let them go out and make plays.  Two players with their abilities is tough to stop.

Drew Brees's so called weakness in college was a weak arm. 

I think Burrow can strengthen his similar to Brees his fave player.

RE: Burrow Quote - jason - 03-05-2020

(03-04-2020, 06:26 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: Also shows faith in the reciever. AJ will love Burrow if he throws jump balls. Scared Andy would never make those kinds of throws.

Andy Dalton didn't throw a jump ball to AJ Green over Ryan Clark and Polamalu? Could've swore he did... And that was right off the top of my head.

RE: Burrow Quote - CJD - 03-05-2020

I guarantee you that DBs are already constantly trying to deceive QBs like this. I don't think there's anything new about pretending to not know the ball may be coming your way. Joe's just saying that he will take advantage of a CB being out of position.

RE: Burrow Quote - Au165 - 03-05-2020

Understand there is more to this than just "not looking". When Corners play man in general they aren't looking at the QB just occasionally looking in when they can, hence why running QB's tear up man coverage because everyone in coverage don't see him running. When a Corner is in phase they can essentially peak back at the QB to know what is going on but they are never starring at him rather watching the WR's eyes for when they need to turn. Now when a Corner is out of phase, and this is what Burrow is talking about, they are playing catch up to the receiver and often doing a lot of hand fighting to regain position. It is when the Corner is out of phase that Burrow is saying he will put it up and let his WR have a chance at the ball.

RE: Burrow Quote - Shake n Blake - 03-05-2020

Dalton threw up a ton of jump balls to AJ Green in their rookie season (and it was quite successful). Then it suddenly stopped. I remember a lot of talk on the boards about it. I think the FO (or maybe Marvin) were worried about AJ Green getting injured on those. Either way, I doubt Andy wasn't making those throws "cuz he wuz skerred". He was the good soldier type and did what he was told to do.

It's possible Zac Taylor will give the QB more freedom and lob some up...but AJ Green was hurt last season, so we never got the chance to see.

RE: Burrow Quote - Shake n Blake - 03-05-2020

(03-05-2020, 10:32 AM)jason Wrote: Andy Dalton didn't throw a jump ball to AJ Green over Ryan Clark and Polamalu? Could've swore he did... And that was right off the top of my head.

There are a lot of "go up and get it" 50/50 balls in AJ Green's rookie highlights, all from Dalton.

IIRC, he got dinged up on one against the Steelers and missed the 2nd half of that game, and the following game against the Ravens.

Then suddenly the jump balls stopped...for the most part.

RE: Burrow Quote - jason - 03-05-2020

(03-05-2020, 12:53 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: There are a lot of "go up and get it" 50/50 balls in AJ Green's rookie highlights, all from Dalton.

IIRC, he got dinged up on one against the steelers and missed the 2nd half of that game, and the following game against the Ravens.

Then suddenly the jump balls stopped...for the most part.

That was the one I was referring too.

I was watching that game in a Steelers bar in Mechanicsburg, PA.... By that time the banter had started with the locals. It was the first time they'd seen AJ Green. I remember yelling "No!!!" when that ball left Dalton's hand.... Then yelling "Yes!!!" moments later.

They couldn't believe he went and got that ball.